Sora96 prediction: Motomu Toriyama & Yoshinori Kitase are developing Final Fantasy X-3

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2013
No. I think Final Fantasy VII would be Kitase's project.

As for Toriyama, I don't think the home console project you think he's directing actually exists.

1st Division has apparently been hiring people for mobile projects. They haven't officially announced the director for Mobius too yet it seems. We also know that Mobius is not just being handled in house but by the team of the previous console Final Fantasy title, which I'm assuming is Final Fantasy XIII. They seem to be reusing some assets from that series after all. Finally, and as I already pointed out, the concept of Mobius is to make a smartphone game with the quality of an HD title. It's not being treated as a spin-off but a full entry in the series. They want to give it the same type of production values fans experience with mainline entries. I would imagine trying to achieve something like that would require a big team.

On a side note... Naoki Hamaguchi is the project leader. He handles the development schedule, monitors progress and stability of the app. I'm kinda curious but does that sound like the role of a main director to anyone?

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com

As for Toriyama, I don't think the home console project you think he's directing actually exists.

1st Division has apparently been hiring people for mobile projects. They haven't officially announced the director for Mobius too yet it seems. We also know that Mobius is not just being handled in house but by the team of the previous console Final Fantasy title, which I'm assuming is Final Fantasy XIII. They seem to be reusing some assets from that series after all. Finally, and as I already pointed out, the concept of Mobius is to make a smartphone game with the quality of an HD title. It's not being treated as a spin-off but a full entry in the series. They want to give it the same type of production values fans experience with mainline entries. I would imagine trying to achieve something like that would require a big team.

On a side note... Naoki Hamaguchi is the project leader. He handles the development schedule, monitors progress and stability of the app. I'm kinda curious but does that sound like the role of a main director to anyone?
Kitase is producing Toriayama's title.

Plus

On December 27, 2014 in a developer survey with 4Gamer.net, Toriyama said “My next title is in well underway in development. We'll be able to announce it in 2015, so please look forward to it!

Mobius had already been announced at this point.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
If there is one thing I've learned, it's to not take everything you read so literally. So we'll see then I guess.
Not sure if i should say this but will:
doing so will lead to some users doing pointless speculation about a game that we don't know even know if its actually being develop.
Hope i haven't set the flames on fire.

Oct 19, 2013
That JRPG Matsuda was talking about could be the western announcement for Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness. Can't take everything you read too literally after all.

Also...

I don't think it's weird. There is a very important anniversary coming up in less then 2 years.

Yeah... Forgot about that one didn't you? ;)

Why would they want to spend the time working on Final Fantasy X-3 when Final Fantasy VII is a bigger deal by a long shot?

We're talking about a game that revolutionized the RPG genre and had a similar impact like Super Mario 64 did back in the day.

A game that catapulted SquareSoft, now SquareEnix, to stardom and made them who they are today.

A big reason why the PlayStation 1 was so successful and why the PlayStation brand is still going strong to this very day.

What kind of great impact did Final Fantasy X have? Besides the addition of voice acting, nothing. If you can think of anything significant, chances are that it can all be traced back and be thanked by Final Fantasy VII, the root of it all.

Final Fantasy VII is a big deal and the chances of something substantial happening are pretty good I would think. I'm betting it won't be your typical Square Enix anniversary product.

So if they do something for Final Fantasy VII's anniversary (Final Fantasy VII-2, remake, EC, FC, GC, movie, prequel, spin-off etc), I imagine that it would have a big team behind it. ;)

It would also partially explain why we haven't quite heard of that "big project" yet too.
There apparently are plans for a new FFVII compilation project with the real FFVII remake at the core according to Verendus at least:
"First, to get the important part out of the way, you lost the avatar bet. And yes, I was aware of a port of the PC version coming, although I did not know that last year. That's a more recent thing I learnt of a couple months ago through necessity.

And no, this isn't what I referred to a year ago. I think that should be apparent considering what I've said in the past, but let's clarify here for the last time. Firstly, for a little clarification since I haven't said this before, but the FF7 project doesn't necessarily refer to just one game. The core of it will end up being a proper home console game and that's going to be the main thing, but it's basically a visit back to the FF7 world again, and there'll likely be a few things surrounding that. A large part of their discussion is likely surrounding this point.

It may not necessarily just be games, but I don't know what it could be either. It's far too early to say and most of this stuff is in early planning stages, so I have no idea about the details for most of it. Nor am I always in a position to know. And to be fair, I don't really care about the extra stuff whatever that ends up being since I don't exactly think the original Compilation was any good. I imagine Nomura needs to be freed up before they start making any real progress with some of this stuff, although he's no stranger to juggling various works. But considering he's busy with KH3 at the moment, that's why my best guess in regards to the development timeline would be for this to kick into gear sometime after KH3 is completed. I have mentioned this point before. This last part is my assumption though. Kitase and him are basically the key people for it all.

This is obviously ignoring the massive elephant in the room, but either way, FFXV and KH3 come first since they're the priority projects at the moment. After that is when any substantial work will begin to happen with the other stuff."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142521175&postcount=2037

Sep 26, 2013
Are people still bring up the FFVII remake ? Let it die plz.
With FFVII's 20th anniversary in a couple years, it's not going to die anytime soon.

FFXV and KHIII are the main priorities right now so you're not going to hear anything anytime soon. They're hogging resources.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015

I think a lot of people are always failing to realize the market's impact in title development, as well.
MOBIUS FF was pretty much SE's response to the gaming market shift in Japan that's in favor of Mobage over Home Consoles.
I wouldn't be surprised to see more Mobages out of SE, because unless they plan to market everything to the west (like they are for FFXV) they would definitely be losing money in Japan.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
If there is one thing I've learned, it's to not take everything you read so literally. So we'll see then I guess.
You're pretty certain he's directing Mobius for some reason. Lol.

Honestly, I'd have no problem if he was directing Mobius, Mobius is one of my most looked forward to games in 2015. But the facts show he's not, and neither is Watanabe or Abe. Not to mention Square Enix is hosting a press conference they wouldn't be doing so if all they have to announce is Hitman 6, ports and localizations. They're announcing division 1's other project, that's clear.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Square Enix's E3 press conference will be very western focused with some nice surprises on the Japanese side of things.
Yes, I know, but the point stands they wouldn't be having a press conference if all they had was Hitman 6, localizations and ports to announce. We already know FFXV and KH3 will just have teasers, and Dissidia's a year away.

Sep 26, 2013
This is what I’m speculating. Short and simple.

1st division is currently unable go full force on a large-scale home console project right now because Final Fantasy XV is the main priority at this time and has absorbed a lot of human capital.

So as the 1st division prepares for their next big home console project that’s going to require a ton of manpower, they’re going to use this time to work on “console like” Final Fantasy experiences for smart devices, which can be done with a small or even mid-sized team.

Yes, I know, but the point stands they wouldn't be having a press conference if all they had was Hitman 6, localizations and ports to announce. We already know FFXV and KH3 will just have teasers, and Dissidia's a year away.
But that doesn’t mean Toriyama’s home console project exists and will be at E3 though. ;)

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
This is what I’m speculating. Short and simple.

1st division is currently unable go full force on a large-scale home console project right now because Final Fantasy XV is the main priority at this time and has absorbed a lot of human capital.

So as the 1st division prepares for their next big home console project that’s going to require a ton of manpower, they’re going to use this time to work on “console like” Final Fantasy experiences for smart devices, which can be done with a small or even mid-sized team.

But that doesn’t mean Toriyama’s home console project exists and will be at E3 though. ;)
I'm not expecting a big console game.

He said 2015. He's got Kitase, Watanabe & Abe working on it, nuff said.

Sep 26, 2013
I'm not expecting a big console game.
So you're just expecting that this project Toriyama is working on exists in some fashion then? That's a scary thought...

I just think it's weird to have Toriyama, Kitase, Abe, Watanabe, Matsuoka, Hamauzu, Itahana & Matsuda just working on mobile projects.
So you're not speculating it'll be for mobile devices here... (you've made this clear in several posts already)

Fact stands, president clearly said a JRPG for home consoles is going to be revealed around E3. And the only major division I see without a home console game is division 1 and they're set to reveal a title.
But you're speculating it's going to be for home consoles here.... (otherwise why bring this fact up?)

But you're not expecting a big console game... (as stated above)

That means you're expecting either a mid-sized project that costs around 1 billion yen to make or a small-sized project that costs several hundred million yen to make. If it were a major title, it'd cost several billion yen to make. You're probably thinking it's a mid-sized project cause small-sized stuff would be mobile and browser types of games. (I'm not making this up by the way.)

Since you're speculating Toriyama is working on Final Fantasy X-3 for home consoles, let me ask you one simple question. Do you think Final Fantasy X-3 for PS4 would have a budget of around 1 billion yen(around 8.7 million USD)?

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
So you're just expecting that this project Toriyama is working on exists in some fashion then? That's a scary thought...

So you're not speculating it'll be for mobile devices here... (you've made this clear in several posts already)

But you're speculating it's going to be for home consoles here.... (otherwise why bring this fact up?)

But you're not expecting a big console game... (as stated above)

That means you're expecting either a mid-sized project that costs around 1 billion yen to make or a small-sized project that costs several hundred million yen to make. If it were a major title, it'd cost several billion yen to make. You're probably thinking it's a mid-sized project cause small-sized stuff would be mobile and browser types of games. (I'm not making this up by the way.)

Since you're speculating Toriyama is working on Final Fantasy X-3 for home consoles, let me ask you one simple question. Do you think Final Fantasy X-3 for PS4 would have a budget of around 1 billion yen(around 8.7 million USD)?
I'm not expecting X-3 right now. I'm not sure what to expect. All I know is Toriyama is directing his ninth game, and that he's directed more Final Fantasy games than anyone else ever. And the haters are just gonna hate. Toriyama is amazing and so is team of Kitase, Abe, Watanabe etc.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I'm not expecting X-3 right now. I'm not sure what to expect. All I know is Toriyama is directing his ninth game, and that he's directed more Final Fantasy games than anyone else ever. And the haters are just gonna hate. Toriyama is amazing and so is team of Kitase, Abe, Watanabe etc.
And so the TC shows his true colors once more.

Sep 26, 2013
I'm not expecting X-3 right now. I'm not sure what to expect. All I know is Toriyama is directing his ninth game, and that he's directed more Final Fantasy games than anyone else ever.And the haters are just gonna hate. Toriyama is amazing and so is team of Kitase, Abe, Watanabe etc.
Unless I'm blind as a bat, nobody was dishing out the hate bombs on Toriyama with the recent posts that were just made. Fanboys are gonna be fanboys I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.