Square Enix Planning an Online Game Related to Final Fantasy XV ?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LittleKingCael

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jul 28, 2014

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
best case scenario for me: A triple triad-esque card game that you can play in the game (FF XV) itself and also online against other players. You'll be able to collect rare cards while beating dungeons and such in XV.
worst case scenario: uh... don't know, there are many things that can be pretty bad. ^^

Last edited:

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
Would be really interesting to see how that would be implemented, seeing as how we can't switch characters...
It wouldn't be a matter of switching characters, but more of players entering a server/lobby, and being able to pick a character they can play as during the entirety of a multiplayer mission.

Jul 29, 2014
Miami
It wouldn't be a matter of switching characters, but more of players entering a server/lobby, and being able to pick a character they can play as during the entirety of a multiplayer mission.
Definitely like the idea. Seems like something Square would do to appease the fanbase for not having switchable characters. If they do indeed have this multiplayer idea in-mind, I certainly hope it's not part of some grand scheme to keep that feature out of the main game, in order to entice players to partake in the online game.

I wonder if this online version will be free of charge...

May 26, 2014
What if ffxv for ps4 and xb1 is cancelled and it's turned into a mobile/browser game
I would laugh so hard. That would be so funny I wouldn't even be mad.

(ok yes I would but it'd still be funny)

In all seriousness though I'm expecting this to be a browser game kind of like what they did with Bravely Default and Kingdom Hearts.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I wonder if there's any hope they bring the character switching feature back...
If they did they would have to do separate animations for 3 extra characters(without incluiding the guest characters) and making the ones for Noctis alone takes a lot of time for them, if they are still using the AXB for the game i highly doubt.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I wonder if there's any hope they bring the character switching feature back...
I don't think so. The whole combat system seems to be centered around Noctis so it would require to be totally redesigned. So it's unlikely even if there's a huge fan demand.
Right now I'm only hoping for a possibility to switch party members (with Cor and maybe other characters later in the game).

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
That honestly makes me curious to what was it that Nomura envisioned? He had playable characters and that didn't seem to include the AXB and had features such as switching to Prompto to use the gun camera. Hm, hmm, ever so curious. Oh well!

I hope they make other characters permanent to switch to like Cor, but it sounded like anyone not Ignis, Gladilous, or Prompto will only be guest characters???

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Theres the posibility that just simply Nomura change his envision during the development. Cause its not like that a project that you started and is lasting +8years (and counting) would be 100% unchange since day 1, considering that he was envisioning a PS3 game not a PS4/Next Gen-game.
In words of Tabata the desition of using AXB was made around E3 2013 when Nomura was still main director, so most likely Nomura himself should have made said desition of implementing it.
Back in the Versus XIII days we didn't know to much of how the gameplay would playlike, with only vague reference like KHsque battle system and character switching. Comparing the Versus XIII trailer with the XV ones in terms of gameplay, it is practically the same ,minus character switching(by now)

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
That honestly makes me curious to what was it that Nomura envisioned? He had playable characters and that didn't seem to include the AXB and had features such as switching to Prompto to use the gun camera. Hm, hmm, ever so curious. Oh well!

I hope they make other characters permanent to switch to like Cor, but it sounded like anyone not Ignis, Gladilous, or Prompto will only be guest characters???
Character switching cannot be done in a way that will make it useful in any sense, that's why it's not in the game. Tabata said that everything that was in the E3 trailer is still in the game besides the characters switching simply because it does not make sense. Being able to invoke tandem attacks with your party members is a lot more seamless, enjoyable and rewarding than having to switch to another player at random for seemingly pointless advantages. There is no situation in which switching to another character would give you any tactical advantage. Noctis simply is the strongest player in the party, switching to another player would inhibit your ability to fight. Whether or not Nomura wanted it originally, it does not fit with this game's style.

Cor has always been a second hand to Regis, so him being a permanent member doesn't make sense. It's possible other characters will be able to be switched more freely like XII.