Tabatas Vision (Spoilers)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
I'm not trying to absolve him of all blame. Clearly, something went wrong in the 2011-2013 period that resulted in the team's morale being low prior to the directorial change. I just don't think it's fair to act like he's incompetent and lacking in vision just because stuff changed.
To add to your point Nomura was deprived of his staff because FFXIII was having issues, so of course the story kept changing, and from what I've heard if the leak is on the money, he was pulled from Final Fantasy XV because he wanted to make it into a trilogy to tell the story(Which TBH if that meant fleshing out more of the characters, allowing them to improve the boss fights, or just make each game better than the last I'd welcome it, and hey it means more Chocobros who can deny more Chocobros, they are crack man, you want more.)

I also heard that Square Enix didn't have much faith in the game itself which is probably why they took Nomura off the project in 2014 to have him work on more safe projects like Kingdom Hearts 3 and the Final Fantasy VII Remake , and expected it to flop and met with harsh criticisms.

Luckily this isn't the case, and who knows maybe after Kingdom Hearts 3 is finished, and Final Fantasy VII Remake is on Part Two who know maybe Square might tap Nomura to realize his previous vision of a Versus trilogy starring the Chocobros, I mean they assets are there so it could mean much more reasonable development times as opposed to the WTF fiasco that was XV, as Square gets ready for FFXVI(whether it's an MMO, Single Player game, PS4/XBO/PC title, or next gen/PC title we don't know I suspect next gen let them hammer out some sequels, the remake(if not remakes if FF1 gets one), , like after part 2 of the FFVII Remake Square will have to figure out what they want to do with the franchise whether they want to go straight to FFXVI or wait a bit with a FFX-3, and maybe a Versus trilogy or XV sequels, then a XVI for PlayStation 5, Whatever Microsoft will name there next Xbox(fuck it Xbox Two: DIldoblade Edition), and Steam(FOR GOD SAKES CAN WE HAVE A SIMULTANEOUS RELEASE PLEASE AHHHHHHHHH) with Ito as the director. Oh and as a trilogy.

Last edited:

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Personally I do hope for a Versus XV happening, in the hopes of getting more Noctis, Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis, especially if Nomura is directing because you know what that means.(Tabata can direct if he wants he did a great job honestly in the situation he was given) granted I'm not clamoring for it, I'm not you know if a FFXVI gets announced instead of it I'm going to burn down SE headquarters, FFXV sucks wishing for it to fail in the illogical hope that Square some how ressurects Versus XIII from it's ashes, because boy if FFXV failed any hopes of every seeing a Versus XV would be extinguished the brand would have been tainted, or type of guy because FFXV looks amazing I'm just waiting for that PC release, I'm planning my PC upgrade schedule accordingly(thinking about getting a used i7-4930k 6 Core/12 Thread CPU or an 8-Core AMD RYZEN CPU) with a GTX 1080 or AMD's New Vega GPU
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/final-fantasy-xv-will-have-multiple-direct-sequels
Also if the Neogaf leak was true it was going to be a trilogy

Me personally if a Versus XV does happen I would like:
A Mix of what Nomura did with the battle system, and with what Tabata did like what Tabata did with the magic system but instead of all the spells being AoE, just have spells like Firaga, Thundaga Blizzaga, with regular spells being like Ignis' blind spell casting(Can't remember the name.
Also Nomura's command deck from the Versus XIII/FFXV 2013 days would be great, if not then that's fine by me, but it's cool to look at.
A Trilogy of Games(like FFXIII, FF7 Remake(?), and originally FFXV was going to have)(Release span from 2019/2020-2023?(I mean development time could be shorter because of the assets being there but I'm not too sure about that I'm not yet a developer))(I suspect this generation to be as long if not longer than last generation due to the existance to the PS4 Pro, and Xbox Scorpio I suspect MS, and Sony will want to give them at least a 5-6 year shelve life, so this generation should end 2023,2024, hopefully not 2025)
Also should have Classic FF bosses like Ultros, Gilgamesh, and Typhon
Full references to the Fabula Nova Crystallis I really wonder how Nomura would have used the Fabula Nova Crystallis we saw the way Tabata used it in Type-0 , Toriyama, I would have loved to see Nomura's take on the mythos.
It would also be great if it tied into FFXV's ending like Etro rewarding Noctis for his sacrifice by resurrecting/reincarnating him and the main cast into a new world or something or it can just be Earth-2 of Final Fantasy XV(look I watch The Flash ok, yeah I know he's not the fastest man on that show first Reverse Flash, then Zoom, now Savitar My name is Barry Allen and I'm the fastest man alive my ass)
Multiplatform: PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch(if possible), and Steam(SIMULTANEOUS RELEASE PLEASE OH DEAR THIS IS THE MOST ANNOYING PART ABOUT SQUARE lack of simultaneous PC releases)

Also for Final Fantasy XVI I would love it if it improved on FFXV's battle system, and is developed for next gen consoles yes PlayStation 5, Xbox 2, Nintendo After Switch, and Steam obviously, directed by Ito.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
To add to your point Nomura was deprived of his staff because FFXIII was having issues, so of course the story kept changing, and from what I've heard if the leak is on the money, he was pulled from Final Fantasy XV because he wanted to make it into a trilogy to tell the story(Which TBH if that meant fleshing out more of the characters, allowing them to improve the boss fights, or just make each game better than the last I'd welcome it, and hey it means more Chocobros who can deny more Chocobros, they are crack man, you want more.)

I also heard that Square Enix didn't have much faith in the game itself which is probably why they took Nomura off the project in 2014 to have him work on more safe projects like Kingdom Hearts 3 and the Final Fantasy VII Remake , and expected it to flop and met with harsh criticisms.
Well, it would have been possible to retain one singular vision for the story with or without a team -- just look at The Last Guardian. ;) Nomura's the type of creative figure who'd absolutely go wild with ideas if left to stew, though, so it's not surprising that he'd end up building up multiple games worth of ideas during that time.

As for the leaks, the only information regarding development I put any stock in is the comments by Roberto Ferrari:

In 2013, in fact, this blessed story kept changing every three months and the deadline for delivery of the game -That definitively had been set for the end of 2014 (who would have imagined that they would then pulled for long until you get November 2016?). [Source]

My read is that the higher-ups gave Nomura a 2014 deadline for the cross-gen-like "Part 1" (which made use of Versus assets directly) that we saw at E3 2013, but it was impossible to meet. And then, either the higher-ups gave Nomura the option to cut back to one game in exchange for a deadline extension to September 2016 and he rejected it, or Tabata came to them with the suggestion that he could have the entire project completed as one game by September 2016 and they took it.

If Squenix didn't have faith in the game itself, I don't think they would have ever considered making it a flagship title. =P And, personally, I'm kind of glad that we got one fully current-gen game instead of multiple cross-gen looking games, even if the one game we did get could have been fleshed out a bit more story-wise.

(FOR GOD SAKES CAN WE HAVE A SIMULTANEOUS RELEASE PLEASE AHHHHHHHHH)
As nice as it would be for PC players to have a simultaneous release, I feel like as long as Tabata does what he said he would with regards to adding graphical options to the PC version that didn't fit in the console release, things are better off this way. Squenix doesn't have some massive Ubisoft-style team that they can use to brute-force the much more complicated PC optimization process while optimizing the console versions in the same amount of time -- I'm confident that if BD2 had to make a PC version of XV at the same time as the console version, the game would have had to be delayed, the console versions would have suffered, or some combination of the two. =/

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Famitsu reviews are garbage. Nothing worth mentioning at all.

Nomura mentioned that they were porting assets to Luminous in 2013, so its doubtful there'd be a decision to ship the game looking like E3 2013 visually in cross-gen format.

Last edited:

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Well, it would have been possible to retain one singular vision for the story with or without a team -- just look at The Last Guardian. ;) Nomura's the type of creative figure who'd absolutely go wild with ideas if left to stew, though, so it's not surprising that he'd end up building up multiple games worth of ideas during that time.

As for the leaks, the only information regarding development I put any stock in is the comments by Roberto Ferrari:

In 2013, in fact, this blessed story kept changing every three months and the deadline for delivery of the game -That definitively had been set for the end of 2014 (who would have imagined that they would then pulled for long until you get November 2016?). [Source]

My read is that the higher-ups gave Nomura a 2014 deadline for the cross-gen-like "Part 1" (which made use of Versus assets directly) that we saw at E3 2013, but it was impossible to meet. And then, either the higher-ups gave Nomura the option to cut back to one game in exchange for a deadline extension to September 2016 and he rejected it, or Tabata came to them with the suggestion that he could have the entire project completed as one game by September 2016 and they took it.

If Squenix didn't have faith in the game itself, I don't think they would have ever considered making it a flagship title. =P And, personally, I'm kind of glad that we got one fully current-gen game instead of multiple cross-gen looking games, even if the one game we did get could have been fleshed out a bit more story-wise.

As nice as it would be for PC players to have a simultaneous release, I feel like as long as Tabata does what he said he would with regards to adding graphical options to the PC version that didn't fit in the console release, things are better off this way. Squenix doesn't have some massive Ubisoft-style team that they can use to brute-force the much more complicated PC optimization process while optimizing the console versions in the same amount of time -- I'm confident that if BD2 had to make a PC version of XV at the same time as the console version, the game would have had to be delayed, the console versions would have suffered, or some combination of the two. =/
Actually I think they made it a flagship title because their main titles reputation wasn't that much better after FFXIII and it's sequels, and the WTF that was FFXIV, and them not having an honest idea of what they were going to do with Final Fantasy XV, in fact Square were going to bring Edios along to make a Western Final Fantasy game, it obviously didn't pan out, so it made sense for them to use Versus XIII as a base for FFXV, at least that game had demand going for it, a director that knows what he's doing, because like the game or not it can't be denied that he has an amazing track record of great, and solid games, so after Lightning Returns and the negativity surrounding FFXIII there was no where to go but up. I think Square had some faith in the project, but from what I've heard they wanted to push it out the door, because of the amount of money it was costing, and when they didn't have faith in the project was around FFXIII's time, they had more faith in FFXIII then they did with Versus XIII/XV as well as FFXIV. Not to mention that they had more safer bets they were working on like the FF7 Remake which started production around the time FFXV director swapped, as well as Kingdom Hearts 3 which I can imagine Square having more faith in than XV, so they took Nomura off the project and put him on the FF7 Remake, and Kingdom Hearts 3, because while FF was considered going down by the fans KH kept the fans satisfied, hell that's probably one of the reasons Versus XIII had so much demand going for it, because it looked like Kingdom Hearts coming from a visionary director who made critically acclaimed games, and overall it was much different from what we have seen from FF games prior, as well as being presented amazingly.
http://gametyrant.com/news/square-e...-space-project-before-making-final-fantasy-xv

Oh and the PC comment I was talking about future titles, like Final Fantasy XVI, XV-2/Versus XV(if that's happening), and any FFX-3.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
This game was meant to take place in outer space and generally be different than past mainline FF games.
Stopped reading right there. Such a crock load of shit from a click-bait article.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Actually I think they made it a flagship title because their main titles reputation wasn't that much better after FFXIII and it's sequels, and the WTF that was FFXIV, and them not having an honest idea of what they were going to do with Final Fantasy XV, in fact Square were going to bring Edios along to make a Western Final Fantasy game, it obviously didn't pan out, so it made sense for them to use Versus XIII as a base for FFXV, at least that game had demand going for it, a director that knows what he's doing, because like the game or not it can't be denied that he has an amazing track record of great, and solid games, so after Lightning Returns and the negativity surrounding FFXIII there was no where to go but up. I think Square had some faith in the project, but from what I've heard they wanted to push it out the door, because of the amount of money it was costing, and when they didn't have faith in the project was around FFXIII's time, they had more faith in FFXIII then they did with Versus XIII/XV as well as FFXIV. Not to mention that they had more safer bets they were working on like the FF7 Remake which started production around the time FFXV director swapped, as well as Kingdom Hearts 3 which I can imagine Square having more faith in than XV, so they took Nomura off the project and put him on the FF7 Remake, and Kingdom Hearts 3, because while FF was considered going down by the fans KH kept the fans satisfied, hell that's probably one of the reasons Versus XIII had so much demand going for it, because it looked like Kingdom Hearts coming from a visionary director who made critically acclaimed games, and overall it was much different from what we have seen from FF games prior, as well as being presented amazingly.
http://gametyrant.com/news/square-e...-space-project-before-making-final-fantasy-xv

Oh and the PC comment I was talking about future titles, like Final Fantasy XVI, XV-2/Versus XV(if that's happening), and any FFX-3.
Btw what do you think about Itos team (ff12 team) possibly working on FF16. A user here @1Truth2Lies made a thread of points of why it might happen http://www.mognetcentral.com/thread...ii-director-is-working-on-ffxvi-ver-2-0.4039/

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Also I think I didn't take something into consideration when it comes to the FF7 Remake and how it's going to be a trilogy of games while staying on this current generation of consoles/PC, and not possible bleed into the next because of system limits. The PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio were meant to prolong the lifespan of this generation probably by 5 years, but whose to say they won't make another variation that's more high-end, and call it the PlayStation 5/Xbox Scorpio Plus call it their next gen systems when really they could just have been iterations of the PS4 and Xbox One. I mean this could allow Square to scale their games if needed, MS did confirm that they allow for devs to use their box for more than just graphics, I'm not too sure about Sony though I heard they won't, but that might change. So who knows maybe it is possible for Square Enix to put out the VII Remake Trilogy, Final Fantasy X-3, Final Fantasy XVI, and maybe a Versus XV if they find it profitable, I mean it's possible but granted I don't exactly know how much assets they could use from XV to make a a Versus XV Trilogy(Nomura's original vision was a trilogy according to the developer who was spot on about FFXV's plot several months ago.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I think it's very possible for that to happen, but so far we don't know what the nature of Final Fantasy XVI is yet, so I can't really say. I could be another MMO for all we know.
There's no point in making another MMO when FFXIV is still doing well for itself -- it'd just split the potential userbase for little real benefit.

The current scuttlebutt seems to be that the XIV team is staffing up for a non-MMO, though, which is the probably best lead re: XVI that we have.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Probably not a good comparison to make, to be honest. =/ I'd love to see 0.2 get its own rating, given that the 3D remaster and the $60 price tag the full set commands is bound to drag that down.

Should have just gone for 3D itself, which has a lower Metacritic score at the moment. >_>; (I love KH as a series, for the record, but I found 3D really frustrating. =/ )