The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/NX March 2017)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Saw it coming before the no show at E315 announcement. Super Mario 3D World. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Mario Kart 8 were suppose to turn things around for Wii U. They didn't. Strong attach rate but didn't do much to boost hardware sales. Zelda would be no different. It would have been a bad move to have the new Zelda only on a dead platform when it would be better used as a powerful incentive to get people to buy a NX at launch instead.

It's pretty clear now that's the reason for the delay. Not so much for polishing reasons even though the delay gave them the chance to do that. Allowed Nintendo to use that as a good excuse for the time being until a few days ago.

Zelda at E3... Doesn't really make sense to promote the Wii U version at this point. Should be promoting the NX version instead but they can't do that as the NX won't be at E3. So I'm guessing that the only reason why Nintendo is bothering to show it at E316 is to satisfy the hungry fans who are desperate for news. It is Zelda's 30th anniversary this year too so that maybe another reason.

May 26, 2014
Beautiful. Just beautiful. I watched the trailer and I'm sort of trying to keep up with the streams. This gave me that same sense of wonder and fun that made me fall in love with games like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker to begin with and is why Zelda is my favorite video game series of all time. It has that "Zelda magic."

And for anyone wondering, voice acting is in the game, not just the trailer... but not everything is voiced.

May 26, 2014

This is actually kinda cool. I don't have any amiibo myself, and I don't plan to get one for this, but still.

It would be really neat if they implemented some way to do this with just save data or something, but I don't see that happening.

Sep 26, 2013
I'm interested in seeing how this will sell. If you look at how previous Zelda games performed, people seem to prefer the more realistic, darker looking art style (Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess) over the cartoon style that looks like its for kids (The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword).

How The Wind Waker performed back in the day is the reason why we got the Twilight Princess art style.

The cartoon art style put the IP in danger. They respond by giving the US a realistic Zelda. The end result? Twilight Princess became the best selling Zelda game.

I bring this up because Breath of the Wild pretty much has the cartoon look going for it.

The best part about Breath of the Wild for me would be that they're going back to the series roots. Haven't had a true open world Zelda game since the NES game.