The truth about FFXVersus XIII

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
its impressive how many don't understand this.

they think single-games with modern graphics and with the same massive content of FFVII can be done, yet they don't give any examples of one...
A single game with modern graphics including the same content as the original FFVII could be done; it'd just look completely and utterly bizarre.

The issue is that modern graphics demand a great deal more content to portray the same thing effectively. >_>;

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
The issue is that modern graphics demand a great deal more content to portray the same thing effectively. >_>;
Precisely.

Which explains the episodic approach.

Honest to goodness FF7 is a game with a lot of story exposition.

I can’t imagine all of FF7 fitting in one disc in this day and age.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Precisely.

Which explains the episodic approach.

Honest to goodness FF7 is a game with a lot of story exposition.

I can’t imagine all of FF7 fitting in one disc in this day and age.
not only that

multiple characters each one with their own playstyle
tons of skills and magics and summon animations
huge number of enemies including absolutely gigantic ones (weapons)
variety of modes of transportation
variety of locations (including ambitious cities like midgar)
lots of dialogues and events (all need to be voiced)
the setpieces

all in a single-game (FFXV done some of that but not in this quantity)

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
not only that

multiple characters each one with their own playstyle
tons of skills and magics and summon animations
huge number of enemies including absolutely gigantic ones (weapons)
variety of modes of transportation
variety of locations (including ambitious cities like midgar)
lots of dialogues and events (all need to be voiced)
the setpieces

all in a single-game (FFXV done some of that but not in this quantity)
It’s a lot that’s for sure.

The question shouldn’t be “Why is FF7 Remake episodic?” but “How can they break up the story across 3 games efficiently and effectively?”

Bringing this back to FFXV, the question shouldn’t be “Why didn’t they make this across 3 games like Versus?” but “What type of content and format should the upcoming DLC take to benefit the main game?”

Asking “what if” questions pertaining to the past do nothing to better the future by working on what’s important in the present.

That’s just how I think and interpret situations though.

ash

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 18, 2018
4. LUPUS NOX FLEURET. (What a casuality no one of the fake leakers named him...)
Hm.. The way I see it, this is the only new point with actual evidence backing it in your post. How do we know this is not from the benchmark datamining, though? It's been said OG had been keeping that info for at least two weeks now. I feel like the entire post is bluff.

Diari

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Feb 24, 2018
Please watch this 30 minute movie.
The real story was leaked long ago thanks to interviews, trailers, screenshots.
The beginning is actually just your classic RPG, start in a town, learn to fight, play with young Noctis, happy moments with Regis and Iris, even do soccer (there is a soccer field in the game's files).
Stella, Noctis actually died once already when they were young, Lupus stayed alive, but he can not see.
Etro made a miracle happen but in turn she lost her powers and fell in a deep slumber.
Stella and Noctis marked as l'Cie and lose their memories, if they fulfil their focus, they die.
After the accident, fast forward time.
Noctis Lucis Caelum is in his car, heading to Nihilsomno tower.
He meets with Stella, though they do not remember each other.
The invasion starts and the Hooded Man is actually an anti-hero, he communicates using Gentiana (Pryna) staying in the shadows.
Lupus Nox Fleuret has a false prophecy and sends out Glauca to assassinate Regis, fails, because he doesn't know about the ring.
Regis tells Noctis that he never will be king.
He is forced to retreat to Altissia.
The Crystals are actually Crystals of Light and when the last light is destroyed, the land will be overthrown in Chaos.
Lupus Nox Fleuret is actually trying to channel energy into the Crystal to keep it from depleting.
His focus is to protect the Crystal and joins Safay Roth as a spy to inform and get advice from Gentiana and lead Stella and Noctis closer to their focus.
Safay Roth actually knows this and intercepts Pryna, leading Noctis Lucis Caelum to actually murder Stella Nox Fleuret.
Umbra the dog who transforms into a ninja, is guided by Cor Leonis.
Lupus Nox Fleuret becomes enemies with Noctis Lucis Caelum and abandons his focus, turning into a c'ieth later on.
Noctis Lucis Caelum loses his power, his father, his kingdom, his beloved childhood friend Stella.
In Altissia, Prompto figures out that his father is Verstael and cannot fight anymore.
Gladiolus did knot know that his father Clarus Amicitia died when protecting Regis, and finds the Lucis Caelum family unworthy of their protection.
Lupus betrays the Lucis Caelum family and steals the ring, leaving Regis powerless and is then murdered by Leviathan / Safay Roth.
Ignis stays loyal but he gets blinded when trying to use the ring, trying to save powerless Noctis.
During his slumber, he communicates with his ancestors.
Noctis learns that the ring is a gift from Etro and allows the bearer to summon weapons and Eidolons from the Dead, hence those crystals floating.
The eidolons are actually spirits of long forgotten dead ancestors themselves, Shiva is Gentiana (dog that died, who can transform into a human) who wants to vow revenge on Safay Roth.
Noctis father actually loved him and didn't want him to use the ring because it would take his life.
Everyone thinks Noctis is done for good, as he returns back with new powers.
Safay Roth wants to open Etro's gate and own the throne.
He succeeds and the final battle is in the Heaven, with all the chosen dead characters siding with Noctis and fighting him.
Etro wakes up as dawn returns while she restores the Crystals to their former glory.
Noctis and Stella on the throne in Heaven, end of story.
In the end, Noctis and Stella themselves were actually "summons", referencing to FINAL FANTASY X'S tragedical ending.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Please watch this 30 minute movie.
The real story was leaked long ago thanks to interviews, trailers, screenshots.
The beginning is actually just your classic RPG, start in a town, learn to fight, play with young Noctis, happy moments with Regis and Iris, even do soccer (there is a soccer field in the game's files).
Stella, Noctis actually died once already when they were young, Lupus stayed alive, but he can not see.
Etro made a miracle happen but in turn she lost her powers and fell in a deep slumber.
Stella and Noctis marked as l'Cie and lose their memories, if they fulfil their focus, they die.
After the accident, fast forward time.
Noctis Lucis Caelum is in his car, heading to Nihilsomno tower.
He meets with Stella, though they do not remember each other.
The invasion starts and the Hooded Man is actually an anti-hero, he communicates using Gentiana (Pryna) staying in the shadows.
Lupus Nox Fleuret has a false prophecy and sends out Glauca to assassinate Regis, fails, because he doesn't know about the ring.
Regis tells Noctis that he never will be king.
He is forced to retreat to Altissia.
The Crystals are actually Crystals of Light and when the last light is destroyed, the land will be overthrown in Chaos.
Lupus Nox Fleuret is actually trying to channel energy into the Crystal to keep it from depleting.
His focus is to protect the Crystal and joins Safay Roth as a spy to inform and get advice from Gentiana and lead Stella and Noctis closer to their focus.
Safay Roth actually knows this and intercepts Pryna, leading Noctis Lucis Caelum to actually murder Stella Nox Fleuret.
Lupus Nox Fleuret becomes enemies with Noctis Lucis Caelum and abandons his focus, turning into a c'ieth later on.
Noctis Lucis Caelum loses his power, his father, his kingdom, his beloved childhood friend Stella.
In Altissia, Prompto figures out that his father is Verstael and cannot fight anymore.
Gladiolus did knot know that his father Clarus Amicitia died when protecting Regis, and finds the Lucis Caelum family unworthy of their protection.
Lupus betrays the Lucis Caelum family and steals the ring, leaving Regis powerless and is then murdered by Leviathan / Safay Roth.
Ignis stays loyal but he gets blinded when trying to use the ring, trying to save powerless Noctis.
During his slumber, he communicates with his ancestors.
Noctis learns that the ring is a gift from Etro and allows the bearer to summon weapons and Eidolons from the Dead, hence those crystals floating.
The eidolons are actually spirits of long forgotten dead ancestors themselves, Shiva is Gentiana (dog that died, who can transform into a human) who wants to vow revenge on Safay Roth.
Noctis father actually loved him and didn't want him to use the ring because it would take his life.
Everyone thinks Noctis is done for good, as he returns back with new powers.
Safay Roth wants to open Etro's gate and own the throne.
He succeeds and the final battle is in the Heaven, with all the chosen dead characters siding with Noctis and fighting him.
Etro wakes up as dawn returns while she restores the Crystals to their former glory.
Noctis and Stella on the throne in Heaven, end of story.
In the end, Noctis and Stella themselves were actually "summons", referencing to FINAL FANTASY X'S tragedical ending.
that was entertaining, would read again.

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
Both sides of the discussion keep pulling out the set of leaks they see fit and try to convince people that those are “the most authentic leaks” in order to make it seem as though their opinion on the matter is the correct one. People who want VSXIII to happen believe the leaks that go into detail about an epic, convoluted story that was supposed to span 3 games are real, while XV fans pick and choose other leaks to make it seem as though VSXIII never had a clear goal in mind and that XV was the better route to take. No matter who “verifies” them, none of the leaks can be trusted nor used to have an objective discussion about VSXIII, nor can we blindly believe Square when they say that there was nothing substantial to VSXIII: they are still promoting XV, and to portray the game that XV is being put up against in a good light would be the worst PR move they could take, especially when they are in the process of addressing some of the most common criticism held against XV by means of extra DLC/updates/etc. Nomura, who since being replaced by Tabata hasn’t spoken a single word about the project other than stating he didn’t leave of his own volition, is perhaps the only one who can give details about what the actual plot of VSXIII would have been (regardless of how far into development it got). Likewise, we can’t be sure how far into development or not the game got unless they ever show us a build/gameplay/scenes from when it was still VSXIII as evidence.

If VSXIII where ever to happen, and if Nomura in fact has a clear vision in mind, then he should be able to pull it off and deliver a game(s?) that is consistent with the promotional material that was shown to the public while VSXIII was still in development, so long as no one forces an open world game on him, takes people off his team to go work on another project, or makes him switch consoles mid-development. Likewise, if XV fans feel confident about the quality of XV, there would be no need to criticise people who want VSXIII to happen nor be against the idea, given that XV should be able to stand on its own as a complete, cohesive game, regardless of how good or not a hypothetical VSXIII turned out to be.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Likewise, if XV fans feel confident about the quality of XV, there would be no need to criticise people who want VSXIII to happen nor be against the idea, given that XV should be able to stand on its own as a complete, cohesive game, regardless of how good or not a hypothetical VSXIII turned out to be.
I disagree heavily. Level headed FFXV fans have every reason to criticize hardcore Versus XIII fans because in the end the games would be too much the same to really make a difference. Also, it's a huge red flag that some people are unable to let go of the past in this type of situation. It is pretty enraging when there are individuals out there that will say Versus XIII is a better product when the general public never even got to play it. Due to technology limitations, and other factors behind the scenes, a majority of the concepts of Versus XIII ended up being a part of FFXV. We have a product. It's getting continued support. SE, BD2, and Tabata will use FFXV as a learning experience in the future when it comes to future projects. Versus XIII/XV does not need to be a product because it exists in a playable form through FFXV.

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
I disagree heavily. Level headed FFXV fans have every reason to criticize hardcore Versus XIII fans because in the end the games would be too much the same to really make a difference.
I can't follow your line of thought there. How does VSXIII being similar to XV affect you in any way and why does that give you every reason to criticize VSXIII fans?

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I can't follow your line of thought there. How does VSXIII being similar to XV affect you in any way and why does that give you every reason to criticize VSXIII fans?
When headcanon is heavily supported within almost every argument from the Versus XIII audience despite facts contradicting their belief then i believe it is absolutely right to criticize them on that aspect (among other toxic behavior).

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Both sides of the discussion keep pulling out the set of leaks they see fit and try to convince people that those are “the most authentic leaks” in order to make it seem as though their opinion on the matter is the correct one. People who want VSXIII to happen believe the leaks that go into detail about an epic, convoluted story that was supposed to span 3 games are real, while XV fans pick and choose other leaks to make it seem as though VSXIII never had a clear goal in mind and that XV was the better route to take. No matter who “verifies” them, none of the leaks can be trusted nor used to have an objective discussion about VSXIII, nor can we blindly believe Square when they say that there was nothing substantial to VSXIII: they are still promoting XV, and to portray the game that XV is being put up against in a good light would be the worst PR move they could take, especially when they are in the process of addressing some of the most common criticism held against XV by means of extra DLC/updates/etc. Nomura, who since being replaced by Tabata hasn’t spoken a single word about the project other than stating he didn’t leave of his own volition, is perhaps the only one who can give details about what the actual plot of VSXIII would have been (regardless of how far into development it got). Likewise, we can’t be sure how far into development or not the game got unless they ever show us a build/gameplay/scenes from when it was still VSXIII as evidence.

If VSXIII where ever to happen, and if Nomura in fact has a clear vision in mind, then he should be able to pull it off and deliver a game(s?) that is consistent with the promotional material that was shown to the public while VSXIII was still in development, so long as no one forces an open world game on him, takes people off his team to go work on another project, or makes him switch consoles mid-development. Likewise, if XV fans feel confident about the quality of XV, there would be no need to criticise people who want VSXIII to happen nor be against the idea, given that XV should be able to stand on its own as a complete, cohesive game, regardless of how good or not a hypothetical VSXIII turned out to be.

I like you, I like your thinking I'm hoping Versus XIII does happen whatever form in takes as long as it's close to Versus XIII

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
When headcanon is heavily supported within almost every argument from the Versus XIII audience despite facts contradicting their belief then i believe it is absolutely right to criticize them on that aspect (among other toxic behavior).
Unfortunately, you didn't answer my question. I asked you to elaborate on why two games being similar would in any way affect you, and you changed the subject to headcanons and toxic behaviour.

I like you, I like your thinking I'm hoping Versus XIII does happen whatever form in takes as long as it's close to Versus XIII
Thank you. I've yet to hear a compelling argument as to why the 2 games can't coexist. If someone isn't interested in playing one or the other, then they don't have to. Meanwhile, the rest of us get two games to enjoy.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Unfortunately, you didn't answer my question. I asked you to elaborate on why two games being similar would in any way affect you, and you changed the subject to headcanons and toxic behaviour.
The FF mainline series is not like annual series where changes are few and far in between (e.g. a sports game or CoD). I'd say beyond the original 3 FF games, every FF mainline game has aimed to provide a very different experience. As technology has increased, those changes have become more radical. Your suggestion is short-sighted in the fact that it would be a detriment to the spirit of the series and a lack of faith in the current end product. Also, given how this product you'd like to see would be viewed as a sequel/prequel to FFXV to many, even if that were not true in reality, the sales would not be as good as FFXVs. Historically prequel/sequel sales have not been on par with the first game in the chain to come out with the mainline series. We have seen this with the sales differences between X and X-2, and the sales differences between each title of the FFXIII mainline series. FFXV would have suffered the same fate if it were to have a XV-2. In short, the product that you would want probably would not be on par quality wise with FFXV based on that alone.

Why should Nomura work on such a project when he needs to keep focus on KHIII and the FFVII:R, which I can argue are just as big as FFXV? Your suggestion in my eyes is bad on the level of if people were not okay with the more action like combat of the remake to FFVII that they'd push for the remake to be redone with traditional turn based combat after the remake had came out. It's super redundant regardless of how I look at it.

Things are cut in development all the damn time. It could be due to budget, technology limitations, time, and/or not falling in line with what the developers are aiming for. It's completely fine to be disappointed that certain things you would have potentially liked didn't make the final cut, but don't allow yourself to become so attached to these things that it waters down/removes your critical thinking ability.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina

You're telling me that Lightning Returns didn't have the same budget, scope and ambition of XIII and XIII-2? How could you come to that conc...
It was graphically a bit unpolished and likely had less budget but I wouldn't look down on LRFFXIII transition to non-linear open world as being a less ambitious thing than what it's predecesors did.