Thoughts on the XIII games

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
yeah yeah I heard that exact same reasoning and argumentation a million times before. Its always the same really. Forgive my attitude here but I am just so disillusioned with this forum right now. I dont expect everyone to love the game and I dont have a problem with people not liking the game if they express it in a respectable manner. And lets face it - all that ranting about what you dislike about the game - this is by far not the first time you posted that on a forum in the last 3 years isnt it? I thought by now the people who didnt like it would finally get over FF XIII.

Sry but if I read things like "shoving Lightning down our throat" I just roll my eyes in disgust. Lightning is a very popular character (She was voted the most popular female Ff character in Japan). if you dont want to play with her then dont buy the fricking game, nobody is shoving her her down anyones throat. ah man this whole stuff is pissing me off just like in the other forums. Always the same hater bullshit, I am so sick of it. UGH

Caius

Yevonite
Sep 29, 2013
I was shocked to see some of the same review sites/magazines give XIII-2 a lower score that the first game, when it's glaringly obvious how much trouble Square went through to please everyone with 2. I mean, they pretty much addressed every major complaint, didn't they?
Neh. So So? Th
I think if someone doesn't like something and is disappointed with something, or even hates something, then it will always come across to someone that disagrees with that opinion, or likes or loves that something, as personal and perhaps offensive. It's a clash of opinions, and those that feel passionately or strongly about one opinion that they disagree with will likely find it difficult to take. If someone feels strongly enough to post why they hate aspects of this game, they should freely do so. This topic is, after all, to share our thoughts on the games - good and bad.
No because it abolutely baffles me how somebody can dislike something and people can go through so much to dissect this game and say why it's 'bad'.

I certainly do dislike LoK, ATLA, ROTG, and Wreck it Ralph as much as these people claim to dislike XIII/XIII-2, but I don't go around dissecting it, finding every single one of it's flaws. I simply ignore the things I don't like.

This thread isn't nearly as bad as other things I've seen, namely news articles pertaining to something with XIII and it's flat out called "an awful game." "drop it." "where is our VII remake??" along with other crap that really honestly does not need to be said, at least so much. It's a news article on Lightning's new outfit or something. You don't like the series, don't read the news articles on the new games. Ignore you. You have better things to do that read upon something you hate, honestly.

This was the main thing that started my new 'hobby' of reading crappy news article comments and then laughing at them.

I mean, it's simply fine to just not like it. People like and dislike different things. That's not the problem, I just get so annoyed when people go out of their way to dissect it. Yes, you don't like it, we get that. Can you possibly do something else than spending your time telling us why you don't like it? If I like the game, I don't care why you don't like it. I'll respect it, but I really do not want to hear it or see it. (I do know this is an opinion thread, and it's a perfectly fine for those opinions to go here, and I'm not mad about seeing them here, since OP asked for them, but this is also rather something in general that tends to grind my gears).

Kind of knew that this would turn into the "I hate FF XIII thread" ......
Due to this, I really think it might be a better idea for there to be a 'positive' or a 'non-lets-talk-about-why-I-dislike-it' thread so the ones that DO like it, have a general thread for it? (Man I'd have a lot to talk about with it, tbh.)

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Thank you, at least someone who understands me. Look everyone, I dont mean to attack anyone on a personal level or anything. I am sure you are all great people and dedicated fans in your own way just as I am. Its just that after 3 years of enduring what feels like a constant battle against those who gleefully take the game apart and going through the same tiresome and exhausting debate over and over which just always ends in personal remarks, antipathy and sometimes even flaming wars I was just so hopeful that this forum would be an exception and that I wouldnt have to endure that anymore in a FF XIII thread. and now its the same thing all over again. Seriously this feels like deja vu and I am very upset and disappointed about that. Its nothing personal, if I have offended anyone on a personal level then I apologize. I do not want this to end in fights and antipathy and building of feuds and ridicule like I have witnessed and experienced this countless of times before. So please dont think bad of me as a person here but this whole level of rage against FF XIII has become so appalling to me. I mean damn its just a game isnt it?

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Huh, for some reason I thought there'd be more positive opinions of the games. Still, all of the people so far have brought up good points, and I think my opinion of these games is going to change soon.
It's interesting you say that because I feel my opinion of the games has changed over time. At least, my initial fondness for them has reduced, but I certainly don't dislike the games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you say you hadn't played many FF games? Is XIII your first? I can easily see that opinion changing if you decide to try out other FF games. That said, it's pretty normal for your first game (or one of them) in a series to stick out and stay as your fave, regardless of what you play afterwards.

It was interesting for me that XII was my eye-opener. I wonder if I would have been even more disappointed in XIII if I'd played XII before it, expecting something bigger and better. As it was, I went from XIII to XII and it really surprised me - it seemed like they'd come in the wrong order.

Caius said:
I mean, it's simply fine to just not like it. People like and dislike different things. That's not the problem, I just get so annoyed when people go out of their way to dissect it. Yes, you don't like it, we get that. Can you possibly do something else than spending your time telling us why you don't like it? If I like the game, I don't care why you don't like it. I'll respect it, but I really do not want to hear it or see it. (I do know this is an opinion thread, and it's a perfectly fine for those opinions to go here, and I'm not mad about seeing them here, since OP asked for them, but this is also rather something in general that tends to grind my gears).
Hey, that's completely understandable for threads where those opinions don't belong. But for this thread, it's okay. Like you said: the OP wanted the good and the bad. So it's inevitable there will be bad. And I understand that those that love the games might certainly not enjoy seeing the comments from those that have issues with the games. But there's nothing to take offense over. There's not been a single person insulting anybody's personal beliefs with the game - simply expressing each other's opinions. However, if some people don't like it, then a dedicated thread for just pure positive discussion (or indeed negative discussion!) is welcome!

Omegaflare said:
always ends in personal remarks, antipathy and sometimes even flaming wars I was just so hopeful that this forum would be an exception and that I wouldnt have to endure that anymore in a FF XIII thread. and now its the same thing all over again. Seriously this feels like deja vu and I am very upset and disappointed about that.
I'm not really understanding where this is coming from, because I have not seen a single personal remark or flame war at all in this thread. If anything, I was quoted out and my opinion was attacked. I respect everybody's opinions, though.

Last edited:

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
It's interesting you say that because I feel my opinion of the games has changed over time. At least, my initial fondness for them has reduced, but I certainly don't dislike the games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you say you hadn't played many FF games? Is XIII your first? I can easily see that opinion changing if you decide to try out other FF games. That said, it's pretty normal for your first (or one of them) game in a series to stick out and stay as your fave, regardless of what you play afterwards.
You are correct, it was my first. Not counting Dissida, or playing the PSP version of the very first one and hating it for some reason. Oh, and Crisis Core. And yeah, that is pretty normal, the first one I've played being my favorite. Kind of like... Oh, some other game series I've played. It'll come to me eventually. I can say my opinion of XIII-2 changed right at the ending. I personally loved it, then I watched the ending, recalling that I thought I read that one of the head guys working on it said we'd get a
happy ending (put in spoilers because if any newcomers to the game saw that they'd call me out for revealing that it's not)
and preceding to hate the game for a week or two because that wasn't what was supposed to happen. I got over that, and I accept the game for what it is, I know it has flaws other than the ending not being what they told us (or at least what I remember reading they told us), and I'll still play it.

Caius

Yevonite
Sep 29, 2013
It's interesting you say that because I feel my opinion of the games has changed over time. At least, my initial fondness for them has reduced, but I certainly don't dislike the games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you say you hadn't played many FF games? Is XIII your first? I can easily see that opinion changing if you decide to try out other FF games. That said, it's pretty normal for your first game (or one of them) in a series to stick out and stay as your fave, regardless of what you play afterwards.
That's not that true of a statement. I'm pretty sure I played IX before XIII, (95% sure, I don't even remember anymore) but I did own I know XII/X/X-2 before I ever had a PS3, and honestly I didn't really like them when I tried them out, at least until after I played XIII. XIII was pretty much what got me into the series again.

I know I played Duodecim a lot before I played XIII, as it was strange for me to see Lightning in her own title. (I mean, really strange).

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
@Azuardo: not it hasnt gotten that bad in this forum yet and I would like to keep it that way. Thats all I was saying with that. I was stating what I have experienced in other forums in these "fanwars" that ensued over FF XIII. None of it even remotely fun, let me tell ya.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Well, it's not like the series is over. Lightning Returns is coming, and you have the content they're putting into other games. People still give games like FFVIII and SNES games shit. As far as this forum is concerned, it's what happens when you gather players in with a group of journalists whose job it is to dissect many different games on a frequent basis. lol

I feel I and others have posted legitimate issues with the game. If you feel it is "bashing" it, then it's obvious you just feel protective of it, and that's fine. I protect many games that get a lot of shit. I gave Time & Eternity an 8. =P

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
That's not that true of a statement. I'm pretty sure I played IX before XIII, (95% sure, I don't even remember anymore).
I know, just saying it happens.

@Azuardo: not it hasnt gotten that bad in this forum yet and I would like to keep it that way. Thats all I was saying with that. I was stating what I have experienced in other forums in these "fanwars" that ensued over FF XIII. None of it even remotely fun, let me tell ya.
Ah, then perhaps you could have kept a bit calmer and just posted your own thoughts on the games and we could have avoided all that. All I've seen so far are very respectable people that would have welcomed your opinion.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
See but thats the difference. Criticism of games - I have no problem with that as long as its done in a way thats respectful to others. There are definitely things I criticize about the XIII games as well. But this ranting and only focusing on the negative and this unreasonable hating on Lightning (there just needs to be a new news about her and immediately people will either hate on her or ridicule her like they have a personal vendetta against her. It borders on psychotic really) is what I condemn all the way to hell.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
See but thats the difference. Criticism of games - I have no problem with that as long as its done in a way thats respectful to others. There are definitely things I criticize about the XIII games as well. But this ranting and only focusing on the negative and this unreasonable hating on Lightning (there just needs to be a new news about her and immediately people will either hate on her or ridicule her like they have a personal vendetta against her. It borders on psychotic really) is what I condemn all the way to hell.
If all people see are the negatives of a game, then I think it's their opinion. We all have our unique tastes and personalities. I would condemn anyone who would say these things who have never played the game before, but we can all have a discussion here. =]

Now Tidus on the other hand. Uuuuuuuuuuugh....

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
But this ranting and only focusing on the negative and this unreasonable hating on Lightning...
But this is an opinions thread for good and bad, so there are going to be people focusing on the negatives. Post things that you like about the games instead of getting caught up on people's opinions about what they didn't like.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
yeah but you only focus on the bad. and some of the "criticism" here (yours included Azuardo) turned into the all familiar rage-rant with vile remarks that to me as a liker of FF XIII come across as offensive. And sorry I just cant and wont keep calm when reading such stuff. Maybe I should but I just wont. Its who I am.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
Alright, are we through with debating on wether or not every negative opinion on this game is bashing it? If so, I'd like to get back on track so that others don't feel the need to open up a new topic for what is pretty much the same thing, and bound to have the same thing happen.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
If I've focused on the bad, it's because I have stronger opinions on them than the good. I don't critisise others for only focusing on the good, and that should go both ways. I don't feel like I've said anything that would offend anybody, because I haven't attacked anybody's opinions. If I saw someone say "I fucking love Hope!" then it wouldn't offend me in the slightest.

Something I liked: the music.

Whilst more ambient than anything that gets buried into your head, I thought the OST was lovely in this game. Lots of relaxing and gorgeous tunes. Dust To Dust will always be a stand out and fave of mine.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
If I've focused on the bad, it's because I have stronger opinions on them than the good. I don't critisise others for only focusing on the good, and that should go both ways. I don't feel like I've said anything that would offend anybody, because I haven't attacked anybody's opinions. If I saw someone say "I fucking love Hope!" then it wouldn't offend me in the slightest.
I've got no problem with you. As you've said more than once, my intent was to get both positive and negative opinions, and hopefully (quite the vain hope) not get anyone actually bashing it with remarks like "FFXIII sux!11!" (which hasn't happened yet), and without any scuffles over the aforementioned negative opinions.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
I don't think anyone here is "bashing" really. There is such a thing as constructive criticism and it's on display quite well from what I've seen. It's not like people are outright saying "Oh man, FFXIII sucks! I hate that piece of crap game, it's the worst thing ever!!" They're giving rational reasons why they didn't like certain aspects of the game and even if you don't agree with it you should still respect others' opinions. The same can be said for those who praise XIII - it's not like people are going around hating on you for liking something they don't on these boards.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
I don't think anyone here is "bashing" really. There is such a thing as constructive criticism and it's on display quite well from what I've seen. It's not like people are outright saying "Oh man, FFXIII sucks! I hate that piece of crap game, it's the worst thing ever!!" They're giving rational reasons why they didn't like certain aspects of the game and even if you don't agree with it you should still respect others' opinions. The same can be said for those who praise XIII - it's not like people are going around hating on you for liking something they don't on these boards.
Exactly. That hasn't happened yet, and I'd prefer to keep it that way, so pay attention to Kagari, and hopefully we can move past this little argument back into actual discussion about what the thread was made for discussion about.

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, I've edited a bit into the original post that says, in a nutshell, that saying you hate the game without rational reasons to support it is not welcome, and that as the guy who posted this, I'll be here to attempt to break up any arguments and scuffles so as to save the mods and admins the trouble.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
It doesnt offend me either if someone professes his love for a character I dislike. But it offends me to read that FF XIII destroyed the personality of FF or angry statements about how SE shoves Lightning down "our" throat - like you actually speak for all fans. Such remarks are just not criticism to me , thats hating. And I will just not remain calm if I read stuff like this. Its disrespectful to those who like the character. I know you are one of the "its my opinion, I can say what I want" faction that doesnt think they should show no regard to other peoples feelings to these things and I know you think I should remain calm regardless what you say and how you say it about the game but I wont.

Because I am the exact opposite. I believe that someone should not justify everything he says as "its my opinion". even if its your opinion, it doesnt give you the right to use that to be offensive towards something that others love if you are in the same room with them so to speak. In my opinion fans within a community should not only be respectful to each others opinion but to each others feelings and tastes. Criticism can be done without offending the people who love what you dislike. But so often people dont even bother with that. Instead they are all selfish and justify it all with the universal "Its my opinion" speech which apparently in their mind gives them permission to just offend things that their fellow user comrades like. And that just doesnt sit right with me. Just once I want people to be considerate of each other instead of hiding their malicious comments for the millionth time behind the "my opinion" mask.

But I have no doubt you will of course take all which I have just said apart yet again with your next comment to prove why I am so wrong. Which is also why I dont post my thoughts about FF XIII. Because you or the other FF XIII-dislikers here will then just take my post apart like you are doing now the whole time and trying to convince me that I am wrong and make me see the flaws.

Then let's do our best to make this site a natural get-together for people of various camps to mingle with, and to welcome the opinions each other without falling into the common internet standard of one side hounding the other into submission~

I am just as willing to discuss the good things about the FFXIII games if people so wish. And I will be happy to do so. But please don't continue to be so hung up over about negative posts about the game. My earlier post for instance, was not designed to be an angry rant (if it was, I'd be swearing xD), but my own personal analysis of where the games fall short. It's as natural for someone like to me start emphasising the bad on the topic of FFXIII without lending anywhere near as much focus on the good, just as it is for a fan of the games to more eagerly embrace often only the good without touching much on what they didn't like.

As apathetic as I am towards the storyline department of Lightning Returns, and the objections I have towards Dress-Up Barbie Lightning (though I've personally never a massive deal out of it), it is easily the most intriguing of the three FFXIII games thus far. It's certainly that sense of scope and freedom that is grabbing my attention, in contrast to when the first trailer for the game came out. It was this time last year that I was absolutely adamant that I would not go within a mile of the game. I could not countenance the thought of giving it a chance. At the very least in the last year, they've done a remarkable job of changing my stance on it, even if there are still a lot of *ahem* bullshit that irks me.