What games are you playing now?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
So I just recently finished Metal Gear Solid for the PSOne and I loved it. Definitely a masterpiece. Now the next upcoming games to play..... Well.... Let's just say I got a lot of hours to sink in...... And I'm not exaggerating. Going in order.

MGS2 will mindblown you, in some interesting ways...:rolleyes:

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
It looks kind of cool. The combat looks pretty solid but... do I really trust Gust to make an action game after AT3? Lol. This does look very improved though. How is it?
haha, it's not... /that/ bad. Pretty enjoyable quite honestly, a little simple on the gameplay side, but if I had to make a comparison I'd liken the gameplay to a hybrid of musou/devil summoner.
I haven't gotten too far in game yet because I've been pretty busy myself, but from the few hours I've put in so far, I don't feel that my money has been wasted!

Last edited:
Yoru No Nai Kuni interests me as well. Will wait for an European release though.

OT: I've played the PlayStation classic Alundra over the past couple of days after someone on my favourite gaming podcast mentioned playing it too. For those of you who are unaware of this game, Alundra is pretty much a Zelda knockoff. You traverse an overworld with a village and shops and dungeons, collect items to ease your traversal, fight monsters and solve puzzles.

It's pretty decent, but has some quirks that I find to be irritating. First, the platforming. This game is made with an isometric perspective and 2D sprite graphics, which look good, but the problem kicks in once you start platforming, as there is a slight shift between where you think you'll land and where you will actually land. This is not infuriating if you can take your time and adjust your placement along the edges, but once the game wants you to perform fast platforming or punishes your inaccuracy by dropping you down or making you lose your progress in the current room, you will need to practice and it takes some time.
Also, the game has a lot of missable items. In Zelda, you can usually go back to where you remember leaving something or the game avoids putting collectibles in places you will be unable to reach after beating them. This game? Not so much. The two collectibles in this game, the Life Vessels, which extend your maximum HP and the Gilded Falcons, which can be traded in at a later point in the game for various valuables both have instances in which they can be missed, most of them because they are located inside people's dreams - places you are only able to access all but once and then never again. In the case of the Falcons, you even have one particular case where there are only seconds to spare to get the statue - and if you don't, you can either forget about it altogether or go through a talking sequence after resetting and trying again. It is also not helped by the fact that the game tells you about at the halfway point what to do with those metal birds - by that point you are likely to have missed at least five of them.

That being said, the puzzles are pretty good - the game is at its best here - and a welcome alternative to the standard block-pushing often encountered in most Zelda games and other titles inspired by it. The combat is fun, but nothing to write home about, lacking the variety that comes with 3D games. All in all, it's an okay game but I'd recommend getting a guide for people who want to play it for the first time and attempt completion.

May 26, 2014
haha, it's not... /that/ bad. Pretty enjoyable quite honestly, a little simple on the gameplay side, but if I had to make a comparison I'd liken the gameplay to a hybrid of musou/devil summoner.
I haven't gotten too far in game yet because I've been pretty busy myself, but from the few hours I've put in so far, I don't feel that my money has been wasted!
That's good. And as long as actually hitting the enemies doesn't feel exactly the same as just hitting air (grumble grumble ar tonelico 3 grumble grumble) then how bad could it be? I'm still not completely sold cause it looks like it could get a little repetitive. I'll wait until there's more English info and trailers for it, but it sounds good from what you said.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
OT: I've played the PlayStation classic Alundra over the past couple of days after someone on my favourite gaming podcast mentioned playing it too. For those of you who are unaware of this game, Alundra is pretty much a Zelda knockoff. You traverse an overworld with a village and shops and dungeons, collect items to ease your traversal, fight monsters and solve puzzles.
Alundra is one of my all-time faves. Can't disagree at all about the negative points you mentioned, but as far as Zelda clones go, it is bloody excellent. One day, I'd like to run through it again.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Never thought I'd say it, but I'm really upset with the way Life is Strange ended. Was unbelievably hyped waiting for ep 5, and with 1-4, it was easily one of my favourite games in a long time. I guess it still is - the journey is one I'll never forget - but I'm so frustrated that Dontnod ended it the way they did. Can't really get over it atm, since it's still so fresh in my mind.

Just finished MGSV, too. Well, I think I have. Still lots of side ops to do, and I think perhaps some important story-related bits and bobs from those, but witnessed the true ending, at least. Will keep playing till I've done more side ops and such.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Okay, I've beaten Yoru No Nai Kuni.

Final Verdict:
Simple, game-play wise. Quickly gets repetitive. Literally just a musou game.
OST is cool.
Characters (even familiars) are charming and the semblance of a story is "okay" (by Gust standards). Albeit the game is very short, roughly 20-25 hours to finish. About 30 if you go for True ending.

Not really worth the purchase (especially not for $60) unless you like Gust titles, tbh.
6/10
Will not play again.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Never thought I'd say it, but I'm really upset with the way Life is Strange ended. Was unbelievably hyped waiting for ep 5, and with 1-4, it was easily one of my favourite games in a long time. I guess it still is - the journey is one I'll never forget - but I'm so frustrated that Dontnod ended it the way they did. Can't really get over it atm, since it's still so fresh in my mind.

Just finished MGSV, too. Well, I think I have. Still lots of side ops to do, and I think perhaps some important story-related bits and bobs from those, but witnessed the true ending, at least. Will keep playing till I've done more side ops and such.
When it came to it, I realized it would end the way I always suspected it would, so that's why it didn't matter that much to me.
I suspected Chloe was "destined" to die for some bs reason, and that storm was just a plot device to get to it. What I seriously didn't like, though, was that acid trip at the end with alternative realities. What a waste of time, what were they thinking? Instead of using more time to develop the characters.

Also, I regret not being able to go to the movies.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
When it came to it, I realized it would end the way I always suspected it would, so that's why it didn't matter that much to me.
I suspected Chloe was "destined" to die for some bs reason, and that storm was just a plot device to get to it. What I seriously didn't like, though, was that acid trip at the end with alternative realities. What a waste of time, what were they thinking? Instead of using more time to develop the characters.

Also, I regret not being able to go to the movies.
See, that's just the thing for me - it was so obvious right from episode 1 that it could very well have ended with a split decision of "save Chloe, or let her die" that it become TOO obvious of a plot device for them to actually run with. I'm shocked that they went with the most expected thing. The fan theories and many other options they could have taken with the game in the end far outweighed what they did here. Hell, I would have been more okay with it if only they had more than the two endings they settled with.

It just felt like a total slap in the face for Pricefield, or for Chloe fans in general. Just a short as hell scene of driving out of the town, with no kiss, no elaboration on what our choices did. Even still images would have been fine. Why no choice of a happy ending? For a game that shoves "this decision will have consequences" in your face so much, it sure is a kick in the teeth that the whole game boils down to a single decision that renders everything else you did pointless, essentially. Other games have done the multiple endings thing well before, but I'm just so disappointed with this. I would have gladly waited another month or two if it meant we'd get more endings, elaboration on characters, etc.

Did you mean the nightmare thing when you mentioned the acid trip? With the maze and escaping from Jefferson, Frank, Warren etc? Yeah, a lot of people didn't like that.

Not surprised this petition has risen so quickly in just a few days. I'm not expecting much to be done, but I hope they do some sort of Director's Cut on disc in the future. It's made me not even want to replay the game now, because I know the choices I make will mean bugger all, and the ending I always wanted to see (Chloe surviving) feels so throwaway.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
See, that's just the thing for me - it was so obvious right from episode 1 that it could very well have ended with a split decision of "save Chloe, or let her die" that it become TOO obvious of a plot device for them to actually run with. I'm shocked that they went with the most expected thing. The fan theories and many other options they could have taken with the game in the end far outweighed what they did here. Hell, I would have been more okay with it if only they had more than the two endings they settled with.

It just felt like a total slap in the face for Pricefield, or for Chloe fans in general. Just a short as hell scene of driving out of the town, with no kiss, no elaboration on what our choices did. Even still images would have been fine. Why no choice of a happy ending? For a game that shoves "this decision will have consequences" in your face so much, it sure is a kick in the teeth that the whole game boils down to a single decision that renders everything else you did pointless, essentially. Other games have done the multiple endings thing well before, but I'm just so disappointed with this. I would have gladly waited another month or two if it meant we'd get more endings, elaboration on characters, etc.

Did you mean the nightmare thing when you mentioned the acid trip? With the maze and escaping from Jefferson, Frank, Warren etc? Yeah, a lot of people didn't like that.

Not surprised this petition has risen so quickly in just a few days. I'm not expecting much to be done, but I hope they do some sort of Director's Cut on disc in the future. It's made me not even want to replay the game now, because I know the choices I make will mean bugger all, and the ending I always wanted to see (Chloe surviving) feels so throwaway.
Well, precisely because my mind had already been set that the "Sacrifice Chloe" ending was going to happen, it felt kinda like the right thing, so I don't have as much a problem with it as other people like you.

But I do feel that boiling everything down to just two endings where your previous choices don't matter is bullshit, especially in a game that likes to sell that choices do matter. thought about asking what choices did you make, like the Warren and David relationships; but in the end: What does it matter anyway? In the end, they proved meaningless. I wish the game spent more time to say what happened to the characters and our relationship with them. I think Victoria was the worst example of this. In the end what happened to her? Apparently the game doesn't care.