Your feedback on the FFXV Duscae Demo (It's UPS & DOWNS) *SPOILERS*

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 21, 2015
I don't really play Final Fantasy games expecting a brilliant work of literature that's going to stand the test of time. Hell, some of the things in a Final Fantasy story just don't make any sense at all.

Why wouldn't you want Final Fantasy XV to break that trend? I sure know I do. It would be cool to have a playable female character although if they envisioned a worth while story without a female character I'm okay with that. Stella and Luna pull their weight already within the story so I'm all good. And both of them are beyond classy!!

Though I get what your saying completely, Stella is pretty freaking awesome.

I'm trying to not carry my NINE YEAR Versus expectations going into FFXV. I want to be taken on a journey, unbiased and without preconceived notions. I want to be surprised and excited and feel a sense of wonder. So I'm really lenient about characters and story I have faith in them in that department. I'm more on the train for helping them make the game play better by giving constructive input when I am able.

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
Played the demo at my friends house yesterday.

The combat is really satisfying and I like the ability/weapon system.
It could run a bit smoother but they have already said this isn't the final version of the engine.
I love the party banter.
When I first heard the english voices dubbed over that trailer a while ago I hated them but they've really grown on me plus some of the party banter doesn't get subtitled so I would have to use them anyway.

My only complaints are that the camera during combat is all over the place and too close to Noctis.
And in the sidequests that require you to find things in a certain area like the behemoth clues, chocobos and the magicite should not show you exactly where it is. It should give you a circle on the map that pretty much shows you the general area where you can find the things you need to find.

I'll update this if anything comes to mind

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Most of the things were already mentioned here so I'll only write short notes about what needs to be fixed in my opinion (excluding things which they already promised to add/fix/improve):

- Fix jumping ( not the attack) it looks and feels rough as hell.
- More warping points and warping outside of battles.
- Overall more freedom in your movements outside of battles.
- AI shouldn't get in the way so often -> shouldn't be able to block you in general.
- fix the lock on and the camera ( especially in battles)
- Put in a system where you'll be able to cancel your attacks at any time and switch to defense immediately ( at a cost of some MP if it's too overpowered otherwise)
- Include timed and manual dodging ! ( iirc they already promised this)
- Improve the f*cking performance! ( they promised this already but there's no way that I don't mention this here. It was really annoying and by far my biggest issue with the demo)
- reduce the rate of some encounters ( the Nilflheim ships at night for example)
- make it possible to use one weapon for multiple attack slots.
- Noctis needs to be able to run longer and/or faster.

I probably forgot some things so I'm likely going to edit this post a few times.

Last edited:

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
How would you like it to work?
It's actually kinda related to this point:
"- Put in a system where you'll be able to cancel your attacks at any time and switch to defense immediately ( at a cost of some MP if it's too overpowered otherwise)"
I'd like to have a manually dodge (and dodging roll of course!) that is not only more flexible but also more comfortable to use. The L+O dodge is in its current state not fast and responsive enough to me.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
They will. A flaw that obvious won't be remained as it is. Don't bother hoping.
lol, exactly.

Most of the things were already mentioned here so I'll only write short notes about what needs to be fixed in my opinion (excluding things which they already promised to add/fix/improve):

- Fix jumping ( not the attack) it looks and feels rough as hell.
- More warping points and warping outside of battles.
- Overall more freedom in your movements outside of battles.
- AI shouldn't get in the way so often -> shouldn't be able to block you in general.
- fix the lock on and the camera ( especially in battles)
- Put in a system where you'll be able to cancel your attacks at any time and switch to defense immediately ( at a cost of some MP if it's too overpowered otherwise)
- Include timed and manual dodging ! ( iirc they already promised this)
- Improve the f*cking performance! ( they promised this already but there's no way that I don't mention this here. It was really annoying and by far my biggest issue with the demo)
- reduce the rate of some encounters ( the Nilflheim ships at night for example)
- make it possible to use one weapon for multiple attack slots.
- Noctis needs to be able to run longer and/or faster.

I probably forgot some things so I'm likely going to edit this post a few times.
  • Jumping feels weighted because that's the style of the game, aerial combat isn't implemented, and the game isn't finished, of course it's rough.
  • Warping outside of battle would be nice
  • I have no idea what you're asking for... freedom of movements outside of battles? As opposed to the movement we have in battles? I have no idea what this means.
  • AI isn't finished, it's a demo
  • Camera isn't finished, it's a demo
  • I would argue that attack canceling is pointless in XV because of the Knightsguard ability. Most of the abilities in XV are fast and don't really require you to need to cancel besides the heavier weapons and parts of the spear combo. Any damage taken during battle can be instantly recovered with Knightsguard with the proper timing. Attack canceling in this context is almost useless, in a game where you play more defensively, it makes sense to want to stop your attack to avoid getting hit, but that's because there's no way to recover in those games. So, honestly, I don't think it needs to be implemented.
  • There already exists timed dodging with the guard stance, you can avoid attacks simply by pressing L1 at the right timing, it's highly sensitive. Manual dodging is technically included. I know you want dodge roll, and I'm sure it will be a technique in the final game, given that we've seen it in the E3 trailer. Not sure how they're going to implement it though into the controls honestly.
  • You don't even need to say this, it's a demo, the performance is going to be bad.
  • Ships demo etc
  • I'd argue that this functionality is wasted potential, however, we already know that the final system isn't even going to work like this. It's a preset configuration of what we can achieve manually with how the weapon deck can be organized into how things are triggered. The final game will present a system that resembles nothing like the demo, more like allowing you to create the system in place for the demo.
  • I don't see why, if you allow Noctis to warp outside of combat this is pointless, you could just warp around everywhere.
It's actually kinda related to this point:
"- Put in a system where you'll be able to cancel your attacks at any time and switch to defense immediately ( at a cost of some MP if it's too overpowered otherwise)"
I'd like to have a manually dodge (and dodging roll of course!) that is not only more flexible but also more comfortable to use. The L+O dodge is in its current state not fast and responsive enough to me.
I'm not sure what you mean by not fast enough, but I definitely am looking forward to dodge roll... I just have no idea how they'll do it. Since all the face buttons are already mapped, I'm not sure how they will get dodge roll to work.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
lol, exactly.

• Jumping feels weighted because that's the style of the game, aerial combat isn't implemented, and the game isn't finished, of course it's rough.
Of course and that's why I'm pointing it out. ;)

• I have no idea what you're asking for... freedom of movements outside of battles? As opposed to the movement we have in battles? I have no idea what this means.
That was mainly related to the whole warping thing but also for swimming. I also don't like the weird movement restrictions in the gas station shop ( it's probably mainly the camera that bugs me here though). Climbing would also be neat but I can't imagine that this will happen.

• AI isn't finished, it's a demo

• Camera isn't finished, it's a demo

• I would argue that attack canceling is pointless in XV because of the Knightsguard ability. Most of the abilities in XV are fast and don't really require you to need to cancel besides the heavier weapons and parts of the spear combo. Any damage taken during battle can be instantly recovered with Knightsguard with the proper timing. Attack canceling in this context is almost useless, in a game where you play more defensively, it makes sense to want to stop your attack to avoid getting hit, but that's because there's no way to recover in those games. So, honestly, I don't think it needs to be implemented.
Nah, I don't agree here. There's a huge difference between sth. like knightsguard and a dedicated animation cancelling. Knightsguard is cool as a last resort but the thing is that I usually don't want to get hit in the first place.

• There already exists timed dodging with the guard stance, you can avoid attacks simply by pressing L1 at the right timing, it's highly sensitive. Manual dodging is technically included. I know you want dodge roll, and I'm sure it will be a technique in the final game, given that we've seen it in the E3 trailer. Not sure how they're going to implement it though into the controls honestly.
yep the dodge roll is probably the thing I really need.

D
  • You don't even need to say this, it's a demo, the performance is going to be bad.
That's nowhere near an acceptable explanation for this. I know that Episode Duscae was most likely a rushed demo but the framerate is just attrocious. At some points the game was simply unplayable for me I don't see it as a given that a demo's performance is that bad and I'm shocked that some people don't see a problem here.

It needs to be said even if they're definitely planning to fix this in the full game. This was just inacceptable and for some people even a complete game breaker.

• I'd argue that this functionality is wasted potential, however, we already know that the final system isn't even going to work like this. It's a preset configuration of what we can achieve manually with how the weapon deck can be organized into how things are triggered. The final game will present a system that resembles nothing like the demo, more like allowing you to create the system in place for the demo.
I really don't see where the problem is to give the players the choice here.

• I don't see why, if you allow Noctis to warp outside of combat this is pointless, you could just warp around everywhere.
If and could. Yeah if that'd be implemented I'd be also ok with the current state.

Oh one thing I forgot. I'd also like to be able to manually dodge/dash while jumping .

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
That's nowhere near an acceptable explanation for this. I know that Episode Duscae was most likely a rushed demo but the framerate is just attrocious. At some points the game was simply unplayable for me I don't see it as a given that a demo's performance is that bad and I'm shocked that some people don't see a problem here.

It needs to be said even if they're definitely planning to fix this in the full game. This was just inacceptable and for some people even a complete game breaker.
More like a demo breaker, if anyone honestly can't play the demo because of a few frame drops then by all means don't play it. It was mainly stable for the most part just dipping under 30 quite a bit, the only time it was actually bad is on the side of the map near the astral shard, outside of that the framerate is no where near as bad as you're describing it. I've played 40+ hours and haven't had anything that bad with framerate.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
I wouldn't say luck is a factor, I would just say that the framerate isn't as bad as you're saying. Don't get me wrong... it does dip, hell I've had my game crash on me TWICE, which is far worse than having a few frame drops. :(
I would have liked to show you my first fight against the Behemoth after the main quest. It was a total disaster. The framerate was somewhere between ~3fps-10fps during the last third of the battle. :/

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Last edited:

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
My page disconnected while taking the survey and now I can't even finish it... I don't even know where to go for support on this. This is extremely frustrating.
Wow that's crap. :/
Imo they should've at least let the codes connect to your SE account after redeeming and also give you the chance to edit/add things to it until a specific deadline.

I'm still waiting for a solution for digital buyers.... but I'm not really optimistic here. :/

rboxman

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 20, 2015
Crossing fingers for players inputting actual feedback and not whining about what's there & not there for the game.
Yeah, folks are complaining about lack of overworld music on gaf... It's a demo people! Music isn't done, text isn't done, animations aren't done etc. FFS magic isn't even done :)

The same about supposed lack of things to do in Duscae. It's a demo and I've already racked up 10h just in this region going nowhere... That actually makes me worried about how long it'll take me to get through the rest of the game!