Your Most Wanted/Anticipated games of 2017

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Yes, I know it's almost February (my my, time flies O_O), but 2017 is still fairly long and a lot of stuff is going to come out. So, without further ado, post your Most Anticipated games of 2017. Also, only games that are confirmed (esp. in the West) or targeted for 2017 count.

My list, and I'm starting off with two holdovers from my 2016 list:

Cosmic Star Heroine (Developed and published by Zeboyd Games; PC/PS4/PSVita, no date announced)

I'm technically cheating here. This game was originally targeted for a summer 2016 release, but it didn't quite work out. Still, I'm optimistic that Zeboyd Games can deliver a great experience in what I presume will be the true successor to Chrono Trigger. This year.

Yooka-Laylee (Developed by Playtonic Games, published by Team17; PC/XBO/PS4/Switch; April 11th, 2017)

Banjo-Kazooie revival. Nuff said.

And now, the Stuff Announced For 2017 That Is Supposed To Come Out This Year (And Hopefully Will):

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The 3rd
(Developed by Nihon Falcom, published by XSEED; PC; 2017)

It took some time, but finally, the first Arc of the Zemuria Saga is complete. I won't comment too much on it, since I haven't finished SC yet, but I'm very interested in where Estelle and company are going next.

Tokyo Xanadu (eX+) (Developed by Nihon Falcom, published by AKSYS; PSVita (vanilla)/PS4 (eX+); mid-late 2017)

Another Falcom game, this time with a more modern setting though. The nice part? Publisher AKSYS actually brings both versions this very year, with the PS4 version (dubbed eX+) releasing only months after it hits shelves in Japan. Not sure if I'll get both versions or just one, but either way, colour me intrigued.

NieR: Automata (Developed by Platinum Games, published by Square Enix; PS4/PC; March 2017 (PS4))

It will be yet another busy year for JRPG enthusiasts such as myself. If there is one title I am the most confident in getting, it's the unexpected revival of the NieR franchise, with development this time headed by action gameplay pros Platinum games. I'm curious what Yoko Taro brings to the table in this one, but his special brand of weirdness is always a pleasure to me.

Vampyr (Developed by DONTNOD, published by Focus Home Entertainment; PC/PS4/XBO; 2017)

DONTNOD have, so far, made a pretty good Action/Adventure game with Remember Me and a great story-driven Adventure with Life Is Strange. Their third effort is, again, jumping genres and presents us a RPG starring a recently-vampirized medical practitioner struggling between his beastly nature and his professional calling during a flu epidemic. I raise my hand to shout "WANT".

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Developed and published by Nintendo; Wii U/Switch; March 03rd, 2017)

This is what I'd call The Big One. Yes, there's a lot coming out in 2017 that has grabbed my attention, but it all pales in comparison to the anticipation I have for the latest outing of one of my favourite series (probably the only thing to get me more pumped would be a new Metroid game.... :(). And this looks like it will rock. Zelda has long been overdue for some freshness and BotW seems like the Breath of Fresh Air to deliver here. I own neither Switch nor Wii U, but dammit, this game makes me want to get BOTH.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
PERSONA 5
Developer(s):
ATLUS
Publisher(s):
JP: Atlus
NA: Atlus US
PAL: Silver Link
Platform(s): PS3 & PS4
Release Date: WW: April 4th, 2017
The only game on my list I´m likely to buy since I do own a PS3, I´ll likely end up buying it very late though, being an engineer student is tought, it has stylish art and music.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Developer(s): Guerrilla Games
Publisher(s): Sony Interactive Entertaiment
Platform(s): PS4
Release Date(s):
NA: February 28th, 2017
PAL: March 1st, 2017

Probably the game that I have the most interest on my list, reasons? Dino-Mechas, open world exploration, appealing aesthetic for me, pretty simple and straight forward. Probably the one of the few games that justifies for me buying a PS4.

NieR: Automata
Developer(s): Platinum Games
Publisher(s): Square-Enix
Platform(s): PS4, Microsoft Windows
Release Date(s):
JP:
February 23rd, 2017
NA: March 7th, 2017
PAL: March 10th, 2017

I´m not familiar with Yoko Taro´s works so I don´t know what to expect from him other than Platinum Games delivering fun and good action gameplay, what I´m sold is in the gameplay alone. I doubt my PC is strong enough to handle the game so I´m likely not getting this game neither anytime soon.

These´re more I´m more or less interested in getting but these three are the ones that I have strong feelings about at the moment.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
1: Persona 5
2: Nier Automata
3: Nioh
4: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
EDIT -
5: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Most anticipated:
Persona 5 - P3 and P4 are very unique games and P4 is one of my favourites of all time. P5 might be a perfect sequel, building on the strenghts of the previous games while fixing their biggest flaws - the dungeons.

Nier Automata - this is a bit similar to P5 in that it fixes the main flaw of the previous game, replacing the clunky combat with top tier action gameplay from Platinum. This might be a candidate for my perfect game if the characters and music are on the same level as the first Nier, coupled with Yoko Taro's usual craziness.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd - the very fact that this game is being localized after the meager sales of Second Chapter is a miracle. But I'll be there day one.

Honorable mentions:
Horizon, Mass Effect, Yooka-Laylee, Ni no Kuni 2, Xenoblade 2

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
A year or so ago, I would have thought the answer would be Mass Effect Andromeda, but I'm not feeling it at all. I mean, despite a dissapointing ME3 (with some disgusting deliberate design decisions like locked DLC and lack artistic integrity in other regards), I'm still very much on board with this series.

But I'm not really loving what I'm seeing so far, and I'm worried that this might look a bit like DA:I: while pretty enjoyable at first, it got really boring after a while. Granted, though, I don't care for its lore, aesthetics or settings and the combat in that game was infuriatingly boring, while I love ME's universe and its combat system can actually be fun. Also, the marketing has barely begun (and has been incredibly badly managed: if you want to do a Fallout 4, don't introduce the game years and years before announcing it, and much less with tacky BTS footage), so let's see.

So, I guess it's a tie between Red Dead Redemption 2 and Persona 5.

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Tekken 7
Yooka-Laylee
Nier Automata
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Super Bomberman R
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Bloodstained (hopefully it drops in '17)

Some of my most anticipated games of this year just released. Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria and Kingdom Hearts 2.8.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Nier:Automata. (Haven't played any great action games since DMC4SE came out, the demo was really solid, so I have extremely high hopes for this title.)

Persona 5. (already plat the game in japanese, but I really enjoy the localizations for Megaten titles so I'm curious to see how P5 will be.)

FFXII HD. (Haven't played IZJS in a few years, so I'm really itching to play this. FFXV left a bittersweet taste in my mouth, and this is exactly what I need to wash it down.)

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Zelda Breath Of the Wild, ive been waiting forever for this. Will probably pick up Persona 5 and Nier as well.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
lol wait, what is it? Did I miss something?
Maybe you missed another 100% trustworthy leak in 4chan Kappa.

In all seriousness though, BB 2 is a game I really want to play. Although I'd prefer From focusing on different stuff for a while. As far as I know, they have, for the coming years:
Get_craycray from Neogaf said:
Project 1: ARPG with dark fantasy setting similar to DS
Project 2: A reboot/new idea from previous franchise
Project 3: something new
So, maybe BB 2, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a different thing altogether, though. Also, a new Armored Code, it seems, and a new IP (which I hope is the the one releasing the soonest).