FFXV discussion thread [No Spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
So the guy thought a
QTE prompt
was worthy of inclusion in a basic plot outline but not
a cinematic fight with unique gameplay mechanics?
Right. -_-

You're really grasping at straws.
If Regis was talking to Noct directly, the situation would be completely different than the one we saw in-game, to the point where it wouldn't make sense for Noct not to respond.
"it's not modeled yet, when you play it now it's just young him. I haven't seen concept art but ghost Regis notes that he looks older, so he probably has new defining features." Didn't say he was talking to Noctis nowhere in that post did he say Regis and Noctis were talking to EACH OTHER.

And, again, the idea that the guy would include a
QTE prompt
while leaving out
an actual fight
is absurd.
It's far more likely that he didn't mention the bros getting knocked out because he didn't know about it. Assuming that he knew just because he said "Noct wins" instead of "Noct and co. win" is the very definition of grasping at straws.

This is getting ridiculous. In order to defend a guy who, at the very least, clearly had a chip on his shoulder, you've come up with a just-so story where
the guy saw the final cutscene, except that Regis' dialogue was different, Noct's character model was replaced with his default young model (which, uh, doesn't have gloves), and Luna's was replaced with her model as a child (which has completely different proportions and a completely different hairstyle than the model it's intended to stand in for =P ). I mean, it's not impossible, I guess, but it's certainly implausible given that neither Noct's default young model nor Luna's child model could possibly share animation sets with the models used in that final cutscene.

There comes a time when you just have to accept that Occam's Razor is a thing and stop positing epicycle upon epicycle in defense of a failing theory.

Did you actually read that link you posted (and then deleted)? "Multiple direct sequels" wasn't actually a direct quote from Nomura -- in fact, the actual direct quote said nothing about how the story would be continued. The same site that said "multiple direct sequels" also stated that "his response even suggests that any future sequels could be released episodically."

Given that, as I've proved repeatedly, the leaker wasn't "on the money about nearly everything about this game," I don't think "trilogy" is as safe an assumption as you do. In fact, given Nomura's proclivities, I'd expect that even if he planned it as a trilogy, it'd have spread out beyond that, given the current state of KH. =P

Or, you know, he could have just used the second hand information he had about other stuff to gain a reputation while simultaneously making up a bunch of unverifiable crud. Given the existence of verifiable crud, that seems like the most likely possibility.

In any case, wasn't the ghost/hallucination guy someone else? I don't remember any username being attached to the first leak (neither the NeoGAF nor GameFAQs thread includes a name, in any case).

Speaking of verifiable crud, I like how you skipped the leaker's answer to question 3 here, since he obviously just parroted what Tabata was saying publicly (40-50hr main quest) instead of revealing that the game's main quest was a lot shorter than the devs claimed it to be.

This is, for the record, the only information about Versus that guy claimed to give -- that it would have been a trilogy. It's certainly not implausible, but there's no reason to take his word for it.

Uh, the reference to FFXIII was intended to imply the amount of content in each VIIR game, not the amount of games that they'd be making. As with Versus, "trilogy" is plausible in and of itself but doesn't have any meaningful evidence to support it.
What unique gameplay mechanics? It's practically the same as the Leviathan fight, just Ardyn has the same abilties.
Now onto the stand in stuff, there have been glitches within the game where you can use young Noctis to do older Noctis fights and the cutscenes play out the exact same way and the animations are the same, the same animation for both throne Luna could probably been used for the young version of the character, same with Noctis during the end throne scene.
It's not out of the question that this is what they did in play testing.

Now onto the rest of the post.
The guy again gave a pretty basic plot outline of stuff that happens in the game itself, also I myself said the starscourge Ardyn being monster Ardyn was a guess of mine(QTE Prompt), the leaker never said that was the case in fact further reveals of info show that Monster Ardyn got cut, so no he didn't include a QTE Prompt that was an actual fight.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323493
Also you can't compare Kingdom Hearts to Final Fantasy, when it comes to how Nomura would have done things for quite obvious reasons.

The final scene of the game is real-time graphics, so it's very possible he saw that part, and it is very possible that Regis spoke one line and Noct's apperance the guy didn't give any specifics here is the entirety of the line.

"So whats the design like for 10 years older Noctis?"
it's not modeled yet, when you play it now it's just young him. I haven't seen concept art but ghost Regis notes that he looks older, so he probably has new defining features.
This doesn't say anything about a conversation between Regis and Noctis, Regis could have been saying that during the final scene of the game where Regis is actually talking, and it's very possible that line got cut, this wouldn't affect Noctis in the slightest because he didn't speak during that segment until the screen fades to black and he says Thank You. You keep acting as if Noctis and Regis were actually talking to each other, when the leak says nothing of the sort unless you want to point me to exact line of the text that would require Noctis to speak during that scene, I don't believe you.

Now about the 40 hours thing I'm not going to touch on it because people have actually beaten the game in the 40 hour game time span and in the rest of the post he said they are trying to bump it up to 50 hours by encouraging the fetch quests which are numerous in this game. So I'm simply guessing he's just one of those people who did it in a casual play-through and not gunning through it granted some real-time graphics cut-scenes involving Luna got cut out, so whether that added to the length idk.

Now for the 1000th time about the trilogy
Nomura's quote
"While Final Fantasy XV will have one climax, as a story, we plan to continue it further."

From another post talking about these sequels
Upon being challenged whether or not fans would have to wait a further eight years before seeing any of these sequels, Nomura was quick to assert this wouldn't be the case. In fact, his response suggests that future games could even be released episodically to keep waiting times down.
He never said episodically, he just said that the wait times for the sequels wouldn't be 8 years, the episodic part comes from someone within Square(can't remember the name that said that) who said that the wait times were unprofitable and dishonest, so people thought oh it would have been released in parts like Telltale(Which honestly probably would have been better for the games story if each part had enough content in it), but realistically it would have just been 3 games.
Now as I have said before even if this game wasn't suppose to be a 3 parter, that doesn't change the fact that the game was suppose to have multi-part parts to it, instead of being condensed(poorly might I add) into one story to which I will always say was to it's detriment as they clearly spread themselves too thin.
In fact I wouldn't be suprised if the original ending for FFXV wasn't the same one we would end up getting, and the ending in the current FFXV was reserved for game 3 or a different XV related game entirely.
Also no the FFXIII trilogy reference was a blueprint for release of the game being "episodic"

Square Enix has clarified the episodic structure of its Final Fantasy 7 Remake, stating it will be comprised of multiple, full-sized games instead of a series of smaller episodes.

According to the game's Producer, Yoshinori Kitase, the Final Fantasy 7 Remake will use the Final Fantasy XIII series as a blueprint for how the company will release each installment.
Said Kitase:

It will essentially be a full scale game for each part of the multi-part series. In XIII, each installment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory in a sense.

Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn't really make sense if that isn't encompassed in a multi-part series... So if we're just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

The length of each part was compared to a XIII game that is true, but he said more than that, he said the entire series would be used as a blueprint on how they release each part of the FF7 Remake, so a trilogy.
So for the last time, unless you can present any reasonable argument as to why the leaker who in June leaked the basic plot which apart from Monster Ardyn which was said to be cut from the main game, was spot on about the rest of everything, as well as Shiva being Gentiana which if you had only played the game without looking at the external material you wouldn't have seen it any other way and the 10 year timeskip shown off at the start which would only see at Gamescom in August, he leaked it in June along with the Trial of Titan stuff before E3 (by god Tabata said one coherent story should have stuck with the sequel plan), then there is no reason for anyone to doubt that FFXV was meant to be a multi-part series trilogy or not, and it got condensed into one game to it's detriment not to it's benefit unless you want to tell me poorly fleshed out side characters is a good thing

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
What unique gameplay mechanics? It's practically the same as the Leviathan fight, just Ardyn has the same abilties.
You're really going to argue that the gameplay mechanics in the Ardyn fight aren't unique because they were used one other time earlier in the game? Not only is that silly in and of itself, but you've basically gone and activated my trap card.

See, the leaker you're trying so hard to defend claimed that summon fights were "like normal boss fights but large scale," which is absolutely not true of the Leviathan fight. Heck, it's barely true of the Ifrit fight, given the two mandatory summons that have to be triggered to beat the boss.

Now onto the stand in stuff, there have been glitches within the game where you can use young Noctis to do older Noctis fights and the cutscenes play out the exact same way and the animations are the same, the same animation for both throne Luna could probably been used for the young version of the character, same with Noctis during the end throne scene.
It's not out of the question that this is what they did in play testing.
Oh, there's nothing unbelievable about Noct's younger model being used in place of his older model in gameplay. It's obvious that those models are completely interchangeable.

The problem is shaved older Noct, because he not only wears gloves but takes them off on-screen. Young Noct can't be used as a stand-in during that scene because his model lacks elements that are absolutely mandatory for the animation to exist in its current form. They couldn't even put those gloves over young Noct's hands, because he wears a partial glove that would clip through them. =P

Now onto the rest of the post.
The guy again gave a pretty basic plot outline of stuff that happens in the game itself, also I myself said the starscourge Ardyn being monster Ardyn was a guess of mine(QTE Prompt), the leaker never said that was the case in fact further reveals of info show that Monster Ardyn got cut, so no he didn't include a QTE Prompt that was an actual fight.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323493
So now you're relying on a second leak of unknown provenance to claim that the first leak was actually right until the thing it mentioned was cut. Seems legit. >_>;

Also you can't compare Kingdom Hearts to Final Fantasy, when it comes to how Nomura would have done things for quite obvious reasons.
Of course I can. Kingdom Hearts is the only game Nomura's ever had creative control over, and he's almost constantly been over-ambitious and found himself having to split prerequisites for KHIII off into different games (most recently, 0.2 being a KHIII prologue that got too long to function as a prologue).

The final scene of the game is real-time graphics, so it's very possible he saw that part, and it is very possible that Regis spoke one line and Noct's apperance the guy didn't give any specifics here is the entirety of the line.

"So whats the design like for 10 years older Noctis?"
it's not modeled yet, when you play it now it's just young him. I haven't seen concept art but ghost Regis notes that he looks older, so he probably has new defining features.
This doesn't say anything about a conversation between Regis and Noctis, Regis could have been saying that during the final scene of the game where Regis is actually talking, and it's very possible that line got cut, this wouldn't affect Noctis in the slightest because he didn't speak during that segment until the screen fades to black and he says Thank You. You keep acting as if Noctis and Regis were actually talking to each other, when the leak says nothing of the sort unless you want to point me to exact line of the text that would require Noctis to speak during that scene, I don't believe you.
If he saw that part, then he would have seen Noct's older model, given that that scene requires Noct to be wearing gloves to animate properly. (And, no, I'm not going to humor the idea that the glove removal was added on later, because animating a character removing their gloves is so unnecessarily difficult that it'd never have been added late in the game.)

He'd have also seen at least one version of Luna as a 24-year-old, which would make the "loli ghost Luna" thing an outright lie.

Even if Regis' letter had initially said something about Noct looking different, there'd still be much bigger problems with the claims the leaker had made about the ending.

Now about the 40 hours thing I'm not going to touch on it because people have actually beaten the game in the 40 hour game time span and in the rest of the post he said they are trying to bump it up to 50 hours by encouraging the fetch quests which are numerous in this game. So I'm simply guessing he's just one of those people who did it in a casual play-through and not gunning through it granted some real-time graphics cut-scenes involving Luna got cut out, so whether that added to the length idk.
The claim was about mainline story, not playtime in general. I beat the game in ~33hrs, and I did a lot of side quests and hunts early on. I never really felt like the game was pushing me to do side quests/hunts, either.

There's no way that someone who was trying as hard as that guy was to undercut the game would have said that the main quest was 40hrs if he'd actually played it. No way.

Now for the 1000th time about the trilogy
Nomura's quote
"While Final Fantasy XV will have one climax, as a story, we plan to continue it further."
"Continue it further" doesn't equal "trilogy."

From another post talking about these sequels
Upon being challenged whether or not fans would have to wait a further eight years before seeing any of these sequels, Nomura was quick to assert this wouldn't be the case. In fact, his response suggests that future games could even be released episodically to keep waiting times down.
He never said episodically, he just said that the wait times for the sequels wouldn't be 8 years, the episodic part comes from someone within Square(can't remember the name that said that) who said that the wait times were unprofitable and dishonest, so people thought oh it would have been released in parts like Telltale(Which honestly probably would have been better for the games story if each part had enough content in it), but realistically it would have just been 3 games.
I like how you find excuses to ignore anything Squenix said that implies something other than a trilogy while interpreting anything that's consistent with a trilogy as proof that it was a trilogy. -_-

Now as I have said before even if this game wasn't suppose to be a 3 parter, that doesn't change the fact that the game was suppose to have multi-part parts to it, instead of being condensed(poorly might I add) into one story to which I will always say was to it's detriment as they clearly spread themselves too thin.
In fact I wouldn't be suprised if the original ending for FFXV wasn't the same one we would end up getting, and the ending in the current FFXV was reserved for game 3 or a different XV related game entirely.
If you want to think that the story would have been better if split into more games, fine. And you're probably right about the end of part 1 being different from what we got, with the current ending being saved for the final game. I just don't think there's any real evidence that it would have been a trilogy.

Also no the FFXIII trilogy reference was a blueprint for release of the game being "episodic"

Square Enix has clarified the episodic structure of its Final Fantasy 7 Remake, stating it will be comprised of multiple, full-sized games instead of a series of smaller episodes.

According to the game's Producer, Yoshinori Kitase, the Final Fantasy 7 Remake will use the Final Fantasy XIII series as a blueprint for how the company will release each installment.
Said Kitase:

It will essentially be a full scale game for each part of the multi-part series. In XIII, each installment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory in a sense.

Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn't really make sense if that isn't encompassed in a multi-part series... So if we're just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

The length of each part was compared to a XIII game that is true, but he said more than that, he said the entire series would be used as a blueprint on how they release each part of the FF7 Remake, so a trilogy.
The FFXIII trilogy being a "blueprint" doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be a trilogy. Kitase's quote is intended to explain what he meant by using the FFXIII trilogy as a blueprint, and it decidedly doesn't state that there will be three games. =P

So for the last time, unless you can present any reasonable argument as to why the leaker who in June leaked the basic plot which apart from Monster Ardyn which was said to be cut from the main game, was spot on about the rest of everything, as well as Shiva being Gentiana which if you had only played the game without looking at the external material you wouldn't have seen it any other way and the 10 year timeskip shown off at the start which would only see at Gamescom in August, he leaked it in June along with the Trial of Titan stuff before E3 (by god Tabata said one coherent story should have stuck with the sequel plan), then there is no reason for anyone to doubt that FFXV was meant to be a multi-part series trilogy or not, and it got condensed into one game to it's detriment not to it's benefit unless you want to tell me poorly fleshed out side characters is a good thing
Here's my extended argument against the leaker having behind-the-scenes info based on missing and inaccurate information in that initial post. Needless to say, the leak was not, in fact, "spot on about the rest of everything," and the information the guy did leak is more consistent with someone posting stuff he was told by a friend (with embellishments) than someone who was intimately involved with the game's development.

As for this:

"there is no reason for anyone to doubt that FFXV was meant to be a multi-part series trilogy or not, and it got condensed into one game to it's detriment not to it's benefit unless you want to tell me poorly fleshed out side characters is a good thing"

I agree that there's no reason to doubt that there was a version that was intended to be multiple parts, but that has nothing to do with leaks and everything to do with Nomura's own words on the matter. Meanwhile, whether the game would have been served better as a multi-part series is impossible to know.

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
Ignoring everything above...

Let's talk about that boost sword that will be in the booster pack.

No details yet of what it exactly does... but the trailer showed Noctis wielding a brightly glowing red sword, where he also had a red aura. It also showed a much faster and snappy warp strike with different animations. I think that this new weapon will ''boost'' warp strikes (as long as you have it equipped), giving you faster warp strikes... and possibility no MP warp strikes.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
You're really going to argue that the gameplay mechanics in the Ardyn fight aren't unique because they were used one other time earlier in the game? Not only is that silly in and of itself, but you've basically gone and activated my trap card.

See, the leaker you're trying so hard to defend claimed that summon fights were "like normal boss fights but large scale," which is absolutely not true of the Leviathan fight. Heck, it's barely true of the Ifrit fight, given the two mandatory summons that have to be triggered to beat the boss.

Oh, there's nothing unbelievable about Noct's younger model being used in place of his older model in gameplay. It's obvious that those models are completely interchangeable.

The problem is shaved older Noct, because he not only wears gloves but takes them off on-screen. Young Noct can't be used as a stand-in during that scene because his model lacks elements that are absolutely mandatory for the animation to exist in its current form. They couldn't even put those gloves over young Noct's hands, because he wears a partial glove that would clip through them. =P

So now you're relying on a second leak of unknown provenance to claim that the first leak was actually right until the thing it mentioned was cut. Seems legit. >_>;

Of course I can. Kingdom Hearts is the only game Nomura's ever had creative control over, and he's almost constantly been over-ambitious and found himself having to split prerequisites for KHIII off into different games (most recently, 0.2 being a KHIII prologue that got too long to function as a prologue).

If he saw that part, then he would have seen Noct's older model, given that that scene requires Noct to be wearing gloves to animate properly. (And, no, I'm not going to humor the idea that the glove removal was added on later, because animating a character removing their gloves is so unnecessarily difficult that it'd never have been added late in the game.)

He'd have also seen at least one version of Luna as a 24-year-old, which would make the "loli ghost Luna" thing an outright lie.

Even if Regis' letter had initially said something about Noct looking different, there'd still be much bigger problems with the claims the leaker had made about the ending.

The claim was about mainline story, not playtime in general. I beat the game in ~33hrs, and I did a lot of side quests and hunts early on. I never really felt like the game was pushing me to do side quests/hunts, either.

There's no way that someone who was trying as hard as that guy was to undercut the game would have said that the main quest was 40hrs if he'd actually played it. No way.

"Continue it further" doesn't equal "trilogy."

I like how you find excuses to ignore anything Squenix said that implies something other than a trilogy while interpreting anything that's consistent with a trilogy as proof that it was a trilogy. -_-

If you want to think that the story would have been better if split into more games, fine. And you're probably right about the end of part 1 being different from what we got, with the current ending being saved for the final game. I just don't think there's any real evidence that it would have been a trilogy.

The FFXIII trilogy being a "blueprint" doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be a trilogy. Kitase's quote is intended to explain what he meant by using the FFXIII trilogy as a blueprint, and it decidedly doesn't state that there will be three games. =P

Here's my extended argument against the leaker having behind-the-scenes info based on missing and inaccurate information in that initial post. Needless to say, the leak was not, in fact, "spot on about the rest of everything," and the information the guy did leak is more consistent with someone posting stuff he was told by a friend (with embellishments) than someone who was intimately involved with the game's development.

As for this:

"there is no reason for anyone to doubt that FFXV was meant to be a multi-part series trilogy or not, and it got condensed into one game to it's detriment not to it's benefit unless you want to tell me poorly fleshed out side characters is a good thing"

I agree that there's no reason to doubt that there was a version that was intended to be multiple parts, but that has nothing to do with leaks and everything to do with Nomura's own words on the matter. Meanwhile, whether the game would have been served better as a multi-part series is impossible to know.

"Meanwhile, whether the game would have been served better as a multi-part series is impossible to know."
Oh it very much is look at how non-fleshed out some of the side characters are which actually had importance oh poor Cor, or Verstael(No DLC doesn't fix this in fact it makes this much worse), and how poorly told the story is which if they made it multi-part they could have given each part a great amount of focus because they wouldn't have to spread themselves too thin on the story front.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
"Meanwhile, whether the game would have been served better as a multi-part series is impossible to know."
Oh it very much is look at how non-fleshed out some of the side characters are which actually had importance oh poor Cor, or Verstael(No DLC doesn't fix this in fact it makes this much worse), and how poorly told the story is which if they made it multi-part they could have given each part a great amount of focus because they wouldn't have to spread themselves too thin on the story front.
All of this is under the assumption that Nomura would have taken advantage of the multiple installments formats which was not guaranteed and I´d say that he wouldn´t do that much better than Tabata did, based on how Nomura handled plot development and characters over the course of the many Kingdom Hearts games.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
All of this is under the assumption that Nomura would have taken advantage of the multiple installments formats which was not guaranteed and I´d say that he wouldn´t do that much better than Tabata did, based on how Nomura handled plot development and characters over the course of the many Kingdom Hearts games.
Most of the side characters of KH are more fleshed out than the ones in FFXV,. Also never said that Nomura would have done it better, I simply said if they kept it a multi-parter it would have been better..

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
If tabata was given way more time he would've done it , but you have to remember this was nomuras story just edited .

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Ignoring everything above...

Let's talk about that boost sword that will be in the booster pack.

No details yet of what it exactly does... but the trailer showed Noctis wielding a brightly glowing red sword, where he also had a red aura. It also showed a much faster and snappy warp strike with different animations. I think that this new weapon will ''boost'' warp strikes (as long as you have it equipped), giving you faster warp strikes... and possibility no MP warp strikes.
It reminds me of Aranea's spear.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
That man needed two more years, and to make it a trilogy, and to keep the FNC elements in it, I found those interesting, oh and put it on Steam DAY ONE.
*sigh* The FNC had 3 games and a 4th spin off to work with. I have no problem with XV detaching from the FNC.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
@Hey Everyone I'm not even going to bother with you anymore since you are just going to keep regurgitating the same shit over and over not matter how many times I've explained why your reasoning is wrong.

@Bazztek Im curious did you think Tabata did a good job with XV? Do you think the story is good and it does not need much more added to it?
Yes I think he did given the time frame he was given and the task he was given to fix Nomura's mess. He got out a better XV than Nomura did, namely because Nomura's XV doesn't exist while Tabata's does and is a good product, and even with a simple story it is still enjoyable with good payoff at the end, especially with Noctis and the bros. And no I'm not opposed to them adding in more story but I will say they could have probably done a bit more for it, things like the Dawn trailer and other things could have been in the game so I was disappointed that they weren't, but it's still a better product than Nomura delivered, or rather failed to deliver. But if you want to keep pretending your fanfiction and headcanon are better then go for it, more power to you.

And now Nomura is even repeating the shit he did with Versus to make 7R into another mess of long development with nothing to show for it, yet people still try to pretend Nomura isn't the problem and make more excuses for him.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
http://superespresso.tumblr.com/tagged/Final-fantasy-XV

EXINERIS Industries
A company that uses fragments of the Meteor that fell in the age of myth as a power source, supplying the electricity within Lucis. Having established the enormous power plant in the crater in the northern part of Lestallum, they deliver electricity from there to many places. Only women work at the power plant, and inspecting the pylons outside Lestallum is one of their jobs.

i thought it was only for lestallum, that explains why there was electricity in world of ruin hammerhead

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013

EXINERIS Industries
A company that uses fragments of the Meteor that fell in the age of myth as a power source, supplying the electricity within Lucis. Having established the enormous power plant in the crater in the northern part of Lestallum, they deliver electricity from there to many places. Only women work at the power plant, and inspecting the pylons outside Lestallum is one of their jobs.

i thought it was only for lestallum, that explains why there was electricity in world of ruin hammerhead
Shinra Electric Company?

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016

EXINERIS Industries

Ahhh that explains a lot. If you look closely at the landscape when you're traveling to Lestallum from Hammerhead/Insomnia, you'll see these little cable things/mini enclosed tunnels on the ground connecting the two areas together.

So that's what it's for - electricity.

Nice find.