FFXV discussion thread [No Spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
what makes product placement such a horrible idea?

it's just there, its a basically just a name/logo that you might not even know, and it fits the game which is based on reality, with towns based on real cities and all that.
I think it's because to some it breaks the immersion of being in a different world other than their own, FFXV can still be a Fantasy based on reality without the product placement tbh, like the Chocobo delivery service that was pretty clever, using brands based on Final Fantasy properties would be pretty cool.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I think it's because to some it breaks the immersion of being in a different world other than their own, FFXV can still be a Fantasy based on reality without the product placement tbh, like the Chocobo delivery service that was pretty clever, using brands based on Final Fantasy properties would be pretty cool.
well, it certainly didn't break mine but i get your point

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
The thing about product placement is that it's often much more than simply a logo thats "just there". The purpose of product placement is advertising said product/company and the media featuring it want to make sure the viewer is aware of them. In movies, this can mean obnoxious zooming in on logos, while in games whole side quests dedicated to advertising said product.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Storm I think he means in the main game itself, I don't remember Pepsi showing up in the world of Final Fantasy VII. Those personally I'm fine with a little product placement here and there, as long as it doesn't have anything to do with the plot, because when we reach that point, Final Fantasy is dead to me.
FFVII might not have done in-game product placement, but Parasite Eve 2 did:

It seems like Square/Squenix sees product placement as a way to link their games to the real world, or something, since the PE series was set in NYC. If they'd gone with the NYC version of FFVII, we might have gotten product placement in FF way earlier. XD;

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, product placement can fuck off if the world in the game isn't the real one, as inspired by it as it might be (it's Insomnia -not Tokyo- and Altissia -not Venice-...). That said, though I was not very bothered at all by FF XV's product placement.

In a game set in the real world, like Yakuza, PE, Shenmue, Gran Turismo, FIFA... it's perfectly fine as long as it's well implemented (and actually, even necessary if you want to immerse youself better, especially in sports games). Yakuza does it very well from what I've seen (it helps that I don't know most of those brands, surely).

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
FFVII might not have done in-game product placement, but Parasite Eve 2 did:

It seems like Square/Squenix sees product placement as a way to link their games to the real world, or something, since the PE series was set in NYC. If they'd gone with the NYC version of FFVII, we might have gotten product placement in FF way earlier. XD;
For Parasite Eve it makes sense, it's more accepted there, because it takes place in the real world, even though the events aren't the real world, it would be weird if it wasn't, but let's say it was FFVIII that would be different.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
The thing about product placement is that it's often much more than simply a logo thats "just there". The purpose of product placement is advertising said product/company and the media featuring it want to make sure the viewer is aware of them. In movies, this can mean obnoxious zooming in on logos, while in games whole side quests dedicated to advertising said product.
plenty of JRPGs have food related quests tho, so its just a convenience in case of FFXV since it takes place in a real inspired world to use product placement in quests that are not uncommon in the genre and it links with one of the main components of the gameplay.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
plenty of JRPGs have food related quests tho, so its just a convenience in case of FFXV since it takes place in a real inspired world to use product placement in quests that are not uncommon in the genre and it links with one of the main components of the gameplay.
umm... yeah? And plenty movies zoom in on objects but it doesn't make focusing on logos less obnoxious.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Wasn't that designed specifically for the game itself, you don't exactly see Roen on Noct's clothes do you?
In fact from the looks of it, it was a collaboration, that's a bit different, then looking into a shop, and seeing Coca Cola, or American Express don't you think?

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
I can say from experience that Coleman makes great gear. If anything, it bothered me how all that gear and groceries showed up at all those havens, especially on the 90th floor of the Steyliff Grove Menace Dungeon.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I can say from experience that Coleman makes great gear. If anything, it bothered me how all that gear and groceries showed up at all those havens, especially on the 90th floor of the Steyliff Grove Menace Dungeon.
Noct keeps it all in the same space-time pocket where he keeps his weapons. ;)

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Wasn't that designed specifically for the game itself, you don't exactly see Roen on Noct's clothes do you?
In fact from the looks of it, it was a collaboration, that's a bit different, then looking into a shop, and seeing Coca Cola, or American Express don't you think?
Every product placement in XV was a form of collaboration. There was American Express cards in Japan that netted you FFXV merchandise and copies of the game, cup noodles had TV avertisement for Cup Noodle alongside XV, the Audi being put into Kingsglaive had a real Audi made IRL, the Roen clothes were all sold and made for real by Roen etc. And the reasoning Nomura gave "Nomura: This is to express the higher level of realism. If we based it on an actual real subject, it will feel more real."

So even by Nomura's own logic, as long as it's a real thing it will feel more real, regardless of being made for the game or not, Roen is still a real life brand.
And all those skulls you see on the Roen clothes the gang wear is the Roen logo.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Every product placement in XV was a form of collaboration. There was American Express cards in Japan that netted you FFXV merchandise and copies of the game, cup noodles had TV avertisement for Cup Noodle alongside XV, the Audi being put into Kingsglaive had a real Audi made IRL, the Roen clothes were all sold and made for real by Roen etc. And the reasoning Nomura gave "Nomura: This is to express the higher level of realism. If we based it on an actual real subject, it will feel more real."

So even by Nomura's own logic, as long as it's a real thing it will feel more real, regardless of being made for the game or not, Roen is still a real life brand.
And all those skulls you see on the Roen clothes the gang wear is the Roen logo.
Thing is you can actually see those brands in game, the Roen clothing was created in collaboration in the game itself, it directly affected the game in a meaningful way, and you wouldn't know it's a Roen design unless you looked up Noctis cosplay.

I'm not going to comment on Kingslaive because that's not the game it's a movie, The Roen stuff makes sense as in world as during the Versus XIII days they Lucis Caelum dynasty along with the people living in Insomnia worshipped the goddess of death Etro, so it wouldn't break the immersion.

American Express, Cup Noodle, Audi very much could possibly break the immersion of living in another world, as for one I don't remember America being a place in Eos.

You said the product placement in the current game is Nomura's idea, and you used Roen to prove it, and I'm showing you why Roen isn't a good example, those clothes were designed for the game, Square collabed with Roen to make those designs for the game itself, and it also made sense in the world they set up, people who worship a goddess of death would very well have clothes in relation to that goddess herself, so it wouldn't break the immersion. However I wouldn't put it past Nomura to put American Express in Final Fantasy Versus XIII, but I wouldn't call the product placement we see in the game as is eg. American Express his idea, because as it seems the Roen part was in relation to the character designs as well as the world in which they exist in, so it seems like a no-brainer to use designs for a company like Roen that can not only reflect the goddess of death worship aspect, but also reflect the game being based on the real world we live in today. American Express does not do this.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Why not? Both do exist as canon pieces in the FFXV universe.
Bazztek was talking about Nomura being the one that came up with the idea of the product placement you see in FFXV, didn't touch upon the movie, because I don't know Nomura's involvement in that, they exist in the same canon obviously, but I was just speaking from a game perspective and solely game perspective as in if you didn't bother to watch the movie, and just played the game.