Chances of FFXVI being announced in 2017?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What are the chances of FINAL FANTASY XVI being announced in that year (or date)?

• It will be announced

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • It will not be announced

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Square-Enix recently oppened an official 30th anniversary portal website for the Final Fantasy series, the franchise will celebrate its thirdty anniversary on December 18th (JP).
By the time of the anniversary FINAL FANTASY XV would have been out for over a year. I mainly bring this up because I´ve been seeing many comments theorising that the next installment would indeed be revealed to the public in some capacity.

What are the chances of FINAL FANTASY XVI being announced in that year (or date)?

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
It won't be until the lustre of FFXV wears off, but an announcement sometime in 2017 is totally plausible. Especially if it really is the Agni-verse.

As for the date, that's totally plausible, too. That or any of the major events. A huge surprise announcement when we it us, though. Whether it be then or an E3 or something.

I think people are going to think that projects like FFVII R are going to prevent an announcement and I don't think it will factor. I think that can coexist.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Rereading that, my phone autocorrected that to "we it us" and I actually have no idea what that was supposed to be, lol.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
It won't be until the lustre of FFXV wears off, but an announcement sometime in 2017 is totally plausible. Especially if it really is the Agni-verse.

As for the date, that's totally plausible, too. That or any of the major events. A huge surprise announcement when we it us, though. Whether it be then or an E3 or something.

I think people are going to think that projects like FFVII R are going to prevent an announcement and I don't think it will factor. I think that can coexist.
Not sure it will be based on Agni's Philosphy at all, but I'm sure they're already moving ahead with XVI. As to other projects distracting them, they've been doing successful multitasking quite frequently. They might use Luminous again once it's been proofed through XV's development, as the amount of work that's gone into it would be a terrible waste if they only use it for a single project. Don't know what they'll do as to setting, but they might decide to bring together some of the series' great developers/writers/designers to create a title that's aesthetically reminiscent of earlier entries while still retaining the air of reinvention the company's aiming for.

I don't think Tabata will helm the next main entry as I think he's planning on taking a rest before moving on to a new IP. Nomura is tied up with VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts, and Toriyama is still creating his mystery project for all we know. Ito has been working on XII Zodiac Age, Kitase has been focusing on Mobius and VII Rmake, and Chiba is just testing himself with WoFF. Not sure who'd be handling it.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
They need to finish VII remake first all thire attention will be on that.

I don't think that will be a factor. I think it's better for them as a company to appear to on the verge of cranking out awesome from multiple sources. I don't think VIIR will ever get sole spotlight. Once FFXV is old news, it'll make room for FFXVI.

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
It's already been mentioned that it more than likely won't be Agni, other than that, I also doubt XVI will be announced. Maybe some kind of collector's deal or an HD remaster of a classic FF game. Something along those lines.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I see some empty claims that it won't be Agni, but what's the evidence? There's no evidence that it is, either. So I'm definitely not saying that either, but I don't see anything to suggest it couldn't be.

I used to think otherwise myself, but I've been coming around on the idea. If they intend to get anything else out for this generation, then they'd have to have already begun some pre production stuff. Only, this time, learning their lesson from early VS trailers, just show it off without setting in any expectations. I imagine the Agni stuff, much like VS, is the Genesis of something bigger that could well be the basis for a FFXVI, a spin off game, or scrapped entirely. I don't think it would he a huge stretch.

TwoDotsO

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 30, 2016
I'm already dreading the next 10 years of drama about everyone being sad that XVI isn't about Agni, and bringing up Agni in every single XVI topic, and how it should've been Agni instead of Magni (the inferior Agni) and how Agni was such a better and stronger person and how Magni sucks, and how the new director Michael Bay-San doesn't know how to make a strong character, and how much of a man's power-trip it is that Magni has a third arm growing out of her belly, etc.

Guys, it's almost 3 am here, I'm sleepy and contemplating whether I should stay up till 5 for the ATR. So maybe take all the above with a grain of salt.

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Currently their most major projects (and only talking about SE JP) are FFXV, KH2.8, KH3 and FFVIIR. By the time the 30th Anniversary rolls around, FFXV and KH2.8 will be out and hopefully KH3 may be out by then. Meaning that FFVIIR will be their most major project at the time (cause even if KH3 isn't released by then, most of the work for it should be done by then). This could mean that yes, FFXVI could either be announced at the 30th Anniversary, or some other thing like a collection of all the FF games to date on like the PS4 or PC or something (who knows). But yeah, if its revealed to not be Agni, the shitstorm that will ensue is gonna by huge.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I see some empty claims that it won't be Agni, but what's the evidence? There's no evidence that it is, either. So I'm definitely not saying that either, but I don't see anything to suggest it couldn't be.

I used to think otherwise myself, but I've been coming around on the idea. If they intend to get anything else out for this generation, then they'd have to have already begun some pre production stuff. Only, this time, learning their lesson from early VS trailers, just show it off without setting in any expectations. I imagine the Agni stuff, much like VS, is the Genesis of something bigger that could well be the basis for a FFXVI, a spin off game, or scrapped entirely. I don't think it would he a huge stretch.
Tabata said it was never supposed to be a game and that it's not a game, it was just for the tech demos.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I think it will be announced at E3. I just don't see SE waiting any longer even if it's very early in development. I also believe FFXVI will be something completely new. I like Agni and wish to see her in her own game, but I just don't think it could be FFXVI. It's more likely to be a spin-off or a new game unrelated to FF.

Sep 27, 2013
They really shouldn't announce it too earlier and have the game go through a ton of changes like FFXIII, FFXV and supposedly FFVII Remake did, it's confusing. Better announce it when they're sure about it, and put the spotlight on KH3, FFVII Remake and the next FFXIV expansion, they have enough things to keep us busy there.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I can totally see XVI being announced late 2017. I mean, they should have been working on it for, at least, more than a year now? Or considerably more than that, if you believe people like Verendus, for example. Of course, for all we know, they might have not even started yet, but I REALLY doubt it.

Regarding Agni's Philosophy... I guess I kinda get why some people want XVI to be based on Agni and all that, but I would fucking hate it. Give me something new S-E, ffs. We have had NOTHING new in terms of mainline SP FF since 2006! Give me an entirely new world we still don't know shit about, that the first time we see XVI is the first time we see it: I don't know, make one based on the Greek mythology, history and landscapes. Or yet another rendition of a medieval-ish setting with a twist if you feel like it. Or a Victorian era-like FF.

I guess it all boils down to me thinking the Agni world is kinda boring (I like the juxtaposition between the futuristic city and the slums, but that's about it). One thing I wouldn't mind them bringing into XVI would be Agni's design (it's good, although not as amazing as some think it is, imo) and how magic functions (really liked how she used the potion, the spell and the summon: felt brutal and something you would think about twice before doing).

I really doubt Agni's Philosophy is going to be even touched upon, though, even if you don't trust S-E's word. Maybe an easter egg or some stylistic adaptations.

Sep 26, 2013
Priorities first. That's how game companies roll.

They'll be able to ramp up production at least once FFXV is out of the way.

Unless FFXIV wants to get in the way of things..

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Tabata said it was never supposed to be a game and that it's not a game, it was just for the tech demos.
It wouldn't be Tabata's project, and if they were trying to avoid a Versus situation, they would say it's just for s tech demo. And it would be just a tech demo, until they decide it's time to flesh it out and make a full IP out of it.