Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Is event director even still a thing in this generation of games inside the Japanese industry? I think it's called Event Planning now. Besides, I'm pretty sure Toriyama wasn't the only one that did the event planning in the original Final Fantasy VII so the Remake can go on as it is even without his mind on the project.

There's many more potential developers to occupy that role, whether a returning developer or a newcomer.
Someone does not like Toriyama . Bahahaha.

Since you dodged my question I'll answer it myself. Honey Bee Inn and cross-dressing Cloud. All Toriyama's and cross-dressing Cloud confirmed for Remake. Heck, even that famous scene of Cloud and Barret getting off the train, Toriyama's.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
This whole thing is meaningless. The interview doesn't even actually reveal anything.
We are going to be bringing dramatic changes, but we want to make sure it’s still recognizable.
This could mean literally anything from overhauled ATB to full-on KH action. No reason to get salty
yet

Especially when you consider that a good majority of VII's current fanbase had their first "FF" experience through AC hahaha.
This sounds very, very incorrect.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Nah, I'm just saying he's not the only person to take that role. Oh, I only got the question until now and I don't know the answer to it.
Really? All of that is Toriyama's? Last I check, he only did that Submarine chase moment in the game. You got evidence?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Motomu_Toriyama

Toriyama was placed under the authority of Yoshinori Kitase, who decided Toriyama's role as event planner for the early parts of that game. Toriyama also wrote and directed many of the scenes revolving around the romance between Cloud Strife and Aerith Gainsborough. He tried to make Aerith an important character to the player in order to maximize the impact of her death later in the plot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motomu_Toriyama

For Final Fantasy VII, Toriyama designed events such as the ones taking place at the Honey Bee Inn. As the designers were given much artistic freedom, he would often create cutscenes that were unlikely to be approved and thus were eventually changed or removed.[2][3] Toriyama also wrote and directed many of the scenes revolving around the romance between Aerith Gainsborough and Cloud Strife. He tried to make Aerith an important character to the player in order to maximize the impact of her death later in the plot.[3]

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
He's got some blame to hold for FFXIII by the very least. Though we don't know the full details behind the development phase of the game, it was his game after all. FFX is a beauty and lets keep it at that.
Development of XIII was a mess, Crystal Tools had to be made for FFXIV, Versus XIII and DQX as well and that stage you had the biggest team in Square Enix history, 246 people working on XIII. After XIII he spoke to Eidos, saw how they went about things and made sure in future they didn't do all AAA development completely internal, hence why tri-Ace helped with XIII-2 and LR.

Yause

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 30, 2014
Is event director even still a thing in this generation of games inside the Japanese industry? I think it's called Event Planning now.
Well, the generic term is "Planner" which has been in use for ages. "Event Director" or "Event Planning Director" emphasizes the individual's role as a section supervisor, which means that he manages all the event planners as well.

The terminology might change over time (i.e. for FFXIII-2, Square Enix renamed Map Planner to Level Designer, which is in line with western convention. "Main Programmer" has also been called "Programming Director" or "Programming Supervisor" in some games, which are more accurate terms), but for an RPG, someone is probably fulfilling the responsibilities of an event director.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Well, the generic term is "Planner" which has been in use for ages. "Event Director" or "Event Planning Director" emphasizes the individual's role as a section supervisor, which means that he manages all the event planners as well.

The terminology might change over time (i.e. for FFXIII-2, Square Enix renamed Map Planner to Level Designer, which is in line with western convention. "Main Programmer" has also been called "Programming Director" or "Programming Supervisor" in some games, which are more accurate terms), but for an RPG, someone is probably fulfilling the responsibilities of an event director.
Yeah, or like in Lightning Returns they didn't have a Lead Game Designer, they just had Yuji Abe step up to Game Design Director.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I mean come on! Having an JRPG episodically breaks the experience if having to wait in between for the next episode and so on.
Perhaps. I think it all depends on how they design it though.

FFVII is pretty ambitious. This remake, from the sounds of it, will be even more ambitious. It's really something to think about. So much to content to create for such a big world. How long will it take to make? Will this actually make it out in time for FFVII's 20th anniversary? I'm not betting on it but who knows! ;)