Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
At this point I just hope the combat doesn't suck.

I think that the next VIIR trailer will feature some fake gameplay (like versus 13 trailers) to show what they're aiming for.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Many people might be misinterpreting his words.

Normally, when you do a remake, it becomes somewhere along the lines of a familiar action RPG, so we’re looking at how we can put out something like Final Fantasy VII while still surprising players."

When I observe this, it seems like he meant you would expect it to be an action. But they are trying to find a way to put out an turn-based game (Such as FF7) while still getting players excited.

Well, that's what it sounds like to me, however I am satisfied with what they choose. Yes, yes FF7 is my favorite. I know we have a bad name...
I don't think so at all. It's Nomura, you can count on something more action driven. Advent Children is living proof of this, and the Versus battle system was inspired by that. That's all you really need to say, but it's not really worth debating anyways at this point, we will see in Winter what they have to offer.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Personally I have faith the remake will be done well since Kitase is producing. And Nomura being secret is normal for him.

I just wanna know who the hell is working on it. Is CyberConnect2 really making it? Is the remains of the Lightning Returns team (Toriyama, Yuji Abe, Watanabe etc) helping make it? Frustrating.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Yusuke Naora (Art Director) is not working on VII Remake

Following the announcement of Final Fantasy VII Remake, Tetsuya Nomura revealed that no one younger him to work on the original was working on the remake.

“Of all the staff that worked on the original Final Fantasy VII, and those who are working on the remake, I’m the youngest one,” Nomura explains. “I’m 45 years old now."

Yusuke Naora, the Art Director for Final Fantasy VII was born in 1971 while Nomura was born in 1970. Clearly, Naora is understandably too busy with Final Fantasy XV.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
For me, the simplest way to put things is..

Ports: FF3 DS appearing on PSP. FFIV DS release on ios.

Remaster: FFX/X-2 on PS3 & PS4. FFI NES being remastered to PSP.

Remake: FF3 NES into FF3 DS. And the obvious FF7 PS1 into FF7 PS4.

The main problem here is, we are getting a remake but some people are expecting an Remaster. There is a FF7 Remaster coming on PS4 as well though.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
For me, the simplest way to put things is..

Ports: FF3 DS appearing on PSP. FFIV DS release on ios.

Remaster: FFX/X-2 on PS3 & PS4. FFI NES being remastered to PSP.

Remake: FF3 NES into FF3 DS. And the obvious FF7 PS1 into FF7 PS4.

The main problem here is, we are getting a remake but some people are expecting an Remaster. There is a FF7 Remaster coming on PS4 as well though.
You've got it wrong.

The iOS version of FFIV is a HD remaster. The PS4 version of FFVII coming this year is barely a remaster.

And FF1 did not go from NES to PSP. They did a remake for WonderSwan but not a full remake and then they kept enhancing that version with higher quality assets and content.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
You've got it wrong.

The iOS version of FFIV is a HD remaster. The PS4 version of FFVII coming this year is barely a remaster.

And FF1 did not go from NES to PSP. They did a remake for WonderSwan but not a full remake and then they kept enhancing that version with higher quality assets and content.
Oh, I know all the details. FF1 was also on PS1, GBA, and whatnot. My list there was really just an quick example. I know I get into facts and all the info a lot. That time I just want to keep it simple.

Really have no need to explain what I feel a remake or port is, I only debate one on one with people who use logic and respect. However In the end this is going to be a roller coaster, just thought I'd add my two cents lol.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Oh, I know all the details. FF1 was also on PS1, GBA, and whatnot. My list there was really just an quick example. I know I get into facts and all the info a lot. That time I just want to keep it simple.

Really have no need to explain what I feel a remake or port is, I only debate one on one with people who use logic and respect. However In the end this is going to be a roller coaster, just thought I'd add my two cents lol.
I don't want to start an argument but if you're going to try and explain something you should get it right or be ready for someone to correct you.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I think people were expecting, or hoping at least, something like the Resident Evil remake because it was done right. People see that as the perfect example of how you do a remake. The groundwork gets polished and tweaked but is left untouched for the most part. The visuals are the only thing that received a massive makeover. This approach doesn't disappoint, cause worry or split up the fan base because it stays faithful to the original game and keeps all the reasons why people liked the game to begin with intact. In short, nothing really changes except the visuals and that's what some people want with a Final Fantasy VII remake.

What we have with the Resident Evil remake is something that is not outdated visually and can stand the test of time.

The other thing I think people expect and want is something that is exactly faithful to the original game but all in real-time (no pre-rendered, static backgrounds) and 1:1 scale. If they actually achieve this then great, but I'm not really expecting it without some pretty big changes and from the sounds of it, that's what is going to happen.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I think people were expecting, or hoping at least, something like the Resident Evil remake because it was done right. People see that as the perfect example of how you do a remake. The groundwork gets polished and some tweets but is left untouched for the most part. The visuals are the only thing that received a massive makeover. This approach doesn't disappoint, cause worry or split up the fan base because it stays faithful to the original game and keeps all the reasons why people liked the game to begin with intact. In short, nothing really changes except the visuals and that's what some people want with a Final Fantasy VII remake.

What we have with the Resident Evil remake is something that is not outdated visually and can stand the test of time.

The other thing I think people expect and want is something that is exactly faithful to the original game but all in real-time (no pre-rendered, static backgrounds) and 1:1 scale. If they actually achieve this then great, but I'm not really expecting it without some pretty big changes and from the sounds of it, that's what is going to happen.
That is a spot on analysis. I agree fully.

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
I really don't agree with the Resident Evil comparison.

The difference between the two are night and day, if you were going to remake Resident Evil you clearly have limitations like having it in the mansion and the most obvious choice is to have it very like the original.

But if you're remaking FF7 you are talking about a game that is driven mostly by imagination because the tech was just not up to the task of making the world as detailed or massive. So if you were to remake FF7 today, you really should make it a full scale modern game.

Just my 2 cents.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
It's not really about what makes sense for this type of game or hardware limitations holding things back. It's about what some fans personally want.

And some fans just want the Resident Evil remake treatment. Same as the original but with a visual update. Why? Cause it works.

Bites the dust

Balamb Garden Freshman
Apr 14, 2015
And some fans just want the Resident Evil remake treatment. Same as the original but with a visual update. Why? Cause it works.
The Resident Evil 1 remake may not be the best example. When the remake was made for the GameCube years back, there were many additions to both the story and game play that were not there in the original game.

Such additions being the story of Lisa Trevor and her family, to fit in with the later story elements that were not present in the original game. There were several new areas that were not present originally. Tiny additions to some of the game play were the ability to quick turn, and to better fend off an attacking zombie which weren't in before, but make sense to be able to do for this type of game, and even a section where you can play as Rebecca for a bit if Chris gets poisoned in the boss against the giant snake was added.

There are even more changes that I just don't have the drive to bother listing, but the reason fans didn't complain was not because there wasn't any changes, but rather because the changes were implemented well, and made the game better for being there.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
The Resident Evil 1 remake may not be the best example. When the remake was made for the GameCube years back, there were many additions to both the story and game play that were not there in the original game.

Such additions being the story of Lisa Trevor and her family, to fit in with the later story elements that were not present in the original game. There were several new areas that were not present originally. Tiny additions to some of the game play were the ability to quick turn, and to better fend off an attacking zombie which weren't in before, but make sense to be able to do for this type of game, and even a section where you can play as Rebecca for a bit if Chris gets poisoned in the boss against the giant snake was added.

There are even more changes that I just don't have the drive to bother listing, but the reason fans didn't complain was not because there wasn't any changes, but rather because the changes were implemented well, and made the game better for being there.
I think the point is though that they added stuff on top of the original game and made it easier to control, sure, but everything was absolutely recognizable, shot for shot, beat for beat. It was the same game, but like a directors' cut or an extended version - not a whole new take on the same concepts/story with a completely different take, which is what the FF7 remake is going to be.