Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
Well, I don't like it either with those episodes,
but like Nomura said, if they bring the game in one disc they have to cut many minor things/details.
Why can't they bring it with 2 bluray discs instead of a (most possible payable DLC)?

As long as this multi-parter thingamajig doesn't translate to huge problems/flaws in the narrative, I'm okay with it. Not necessarily hyped, but maintaining a baseline of interest.

Generally, I'd recommend people back down until we get to at least try out the gameplay and not be judgmental lest we can judge the completed product that is to come. Everything we have on our hands is nigh but bits and pieces and vague ones at that.

Somnia

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Dec 20, 2014
Springfield
www.novacrystallis.com
I'm perfectly ok with this being split into "episodes". If it means we get it at a more resonable time and over time, I am 100% in. Hopefully this also let's them truely rebuild the world of 7 and not have to cut things out as Nomura has mentioned.

I know on GAF a lot of people are saying it doesn't make sense when games like The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Xenoblade X, etc. have huge worlds why can't this in one launch... I really think people forget how large the world of 7 was for its time and re-translating all of that into a full HD remake would take years to complete... and while it probably still will take years to get the full game, getting episodes over time for me works.

I know some people are upset by it, but I just say wait and see. Let's see how they handle it with content, cost, etc. before calling for people's heads :)

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
FFVII Episodic doesn't sound as bad I suppose. I guess it'll be more akin to how the story + overall game content is handled in say... the Kiseki JRPG series.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Basically everything I wanted to say has already been adressed. But yeah, S-E REALLY needs to be more clear when they announce things like this: ESPECIALLY with a fanbase as... well, as vocal as the VII.

Can't lie, I'm pretty worried (as worried as one can be regarding a videogame). Mainly because, yeah, how is this going to affect the entire game pace? Or, will we be able to explore the world like in the original, backtrack? As in, does previous episodes' content lock out? How many episodes will the game be formed of? How far apart will they release? Will the entire compilation of episodes feel like a cohesive game? How will the developers deal with the level cap and all that? Will the added content feel bloated and shit compared to the original (like in The Hobbit)?

I mean, it could be good. But I'm not holding my breath. The ideal would be dividing this into three parts (similar to the three CDs we had), but I'm not so sure about that. Never liked the World of Versus (whether that meant episodic releases or sequels. Would have hated both).

I admit this is because of how fucking aprehensive the FF fanbase can be regarding everything lol but man, lately it's the same with S-E: good news (FF XV rerereveal!), followed by bad news or, at the very least, worrying ones that aren't further explained (Nomura leaving XV, with all those changes that weren't disclosed for almost a year).

I think I'll blame you, tbh :p

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I really think people forget how large the world of 7 was for its time and re-translating all of that into a full HD remake would take years to complete...
Yes, but we're also talking about a company who values insane production values and cares too dearly about pointless details that add nothing to the game and overall experience too. They're apparently adding more stuff but I have to wonder how much of that will actually be necessary? Being too ambitious and is a thing after all.

I think I'll blame you, tbh :p
Guess I should of thrown in a per-caution or something. ;)

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Still not feeling this episodic thing, but if the final combination of episodes grants for a game that can be played as a normal one and you can backtrack like in the original one, everything will be alright. Although I doubt it and they'll most likely be self-contained episodes :/

Does seem like some of these boss battles will be quite interesting with the style of fights they will have.
I'm especially excited about the Dyne vs. Barret duel. Oh, man, if they fuck that up, I'll be mad.

BTW, are they really going to show a new trailer for this at JF2016? (I'm referring to this here: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/11/square-enix-line-up-for-jump-festa-2016/). Not that I'm complaining, but I wouldn't have been expecting anything new (at most a few interviews).

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Still not feeling this episodic thing, but if the final combination of episodes grants for a game that can be played as a normal one and you can backtrack like in the original one, everything will be alright. Although I doubt it and they'll most likely be self-contained episodes :/
I have some hopes.
Trails in the Sky series does episodic games like this (First Chapter, Second Chapter, etc.) Each chapter in the series orifices itself to the player through its world map, allowing the player to go wherever they please within that world map, which remains the same across each release. Each chapter also has its own level cap, and estimated start level. (ex. Trails-1 starts at level 1 capping out around 50 or so, Trails-2 starts at level 40 caps around 90, etc.) And each chapter usually has at least 80+ hours of content (sidequests, exploration, main story, etc.)

I feel like SE could go this route. Well, I'm hoping for that. It's a really non-offensive way to go for episodic releases of one cohesive story/game. You still get that feeling of a full-game even though you haven't necessarily finished the story yet.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I have some hopes.
Trails in the Sky series does episodic games like this (First Chapter, Second Chapter, etc.) Each chapter in the series orifices itself to the player through its world map, allowing the player to go wherever they please within that world map, which remains the same across each release. Each chapter also has its own level cap, and estimated start level. (ex. Trails-1 starts at level 1 capping out around 50 or so, Trails-2 starts at level 40 caps around 90, etc.) And each chapter usually has at least 80+ hours of content (sidequests, exploration, main story, etc.)

I feel like SE could go this route. Well, I'm hoping for that. It's a really non-offensive way to go for episodic releases of one cohesive story/game. You still get that feeling of a full-game even though you haven't necessarily finished the story yet.
Oh, that's pretty nice to hear (and I just remembered I have to get into that series someday). If they did something like that, my main worries would be mitigated, I guess, as I don't want the episodes to be very self-contained and feel "small" (I mean, they said they're going to make them big and all that, but I guess you know what I mean: I want to be able to, say, go back to the Chocobo Farm when I'm on a late episode, just explore or relax in a particular place whenever I want to...).

The way this is done and the amount of time between releases will make it or break it. But if one of the reasons they're doing this is the data size... Hopefully they've decided and can tell us soon!

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Considering this is CC2 they might do multiple fully priced releases similar to .hack games.

With .hack//G.U. which came in three parts titled Rebirth, Reminisce and Redemption. These were all standalone games that were connected by story and your save would carry from one title to the next. On their own they had loads to do and it felt like a complete game worthy of the full retail price. You could start at the second game and get initial stats and things but of course you would have missed out everything from the first game including the story so it wouldn't make much sense to do that.

CC2 has experience with creating games like this so I trust their work along with SE to create a great product in the end. I'd like to learn more about how this will work though.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
From the outside looking in, if the plan is to release, say, at least three full-price $60 disc games, you could just as easily say that this is a cash grab. Your average person will see this as Square knowing that the FF7 hardcore will buy into each and every game, like the suckers they are (and I include myself in that group).

On the other hand, if each game is a disc release with 80 hours of content - same as most of any FF game - that doesn't cut corners, I will be okay with it, although I'm not sure what sort of release schedule each game will be on. Can we expect the time gap between each FF13 game, or a lot less? If they are actually "full" games, you would expect fairly length development time. How often do these .hack games release apart from one another?

It's difficult to process, knowing that what was once a single game on its own is being split into what seems like multiple full games now. I planned to go all out on whatever Collector's Edition they did for FF7R, but will they now do CEs for each game? That's a lot of money I didn't expect to be paying. I would really like some info on just how much content will be in each game, and where at least the first game will end, to get an idea of the size.