Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Judging from the characters revealed so far, the designs seem mostly faithful to the originals, just with some added details. So I wouldn't expect Tifa to change drastically. And personally, I'm not a fan of her AC outfit. The only thing it has going for it is being less pandering, but honestly I don't think Tifa's design was that heavily pandering in the first place, it was literally just a tank top and a skirt. I've seen far worse, even in this series. That outfit is just so boring and that apron with the ass-cape look dumb. Drab color scheme doesn't help, and I'm not even one of those people who demand everything to be colorful. All black designs can work very well (like in Nier) but here it just has no purpose other than Nomura going through a phase and making every character wear black. I expect the new design to be mostly in line with the original only with some small changes (like maybe covering her midriff or replacing the skirt with shorts).

The one character I actually want to undergo a bigger change is Yuffie. Her original design just has all that weird looking stuff, like that arm thing. What even is this? It just makes her look like she has a huge deformed arm. And that leg metal thing with straps and a single stocking.

I actually prefer all of her redesigns because they get rid of that stuff.
Mmm, pandering was probably framing it wrong, as I don't think the design itself is (some women have big breasts) so much as some scenes were (the infamous one in the ending). There weren't many of them, though, not that I remember. I actually like the original costume quite a bit, so a more realistic version of it would be my wish.

Her Dissidia and, especially, her G-Bike design should be pretty similar to the one in the remake. I'd also like her eyes to be red-ish rather than brown.

And yeah, the AC costume is boring. Not bad at all, but I find it a bit bland. That, combined with her more generic face and hairstyle, makes the character stand out a little less (really like the colour scheme of the original iteration).

I also wonder about Cid. The G-Bike portrait pictures him as noticeably old even though he's only fucking 32:

I guess it all comes down to Japanese developers (especially in RPGs) portraying people past their teens as old, but I was really surprised when I first found out his actual age many years ago (I expected him to be in his 40s or so. His behaviour and habits also age him, I guess).

Jul 16, 2015
A lot of people were freaking out about this because they think that Square is just now truly starting development of the FFVII Remake which is completely absurd. I'm sure they are much further along than we think. A lot of studios hire more people when a game is entering it's final development stages so honestly I believe this means it's getting to be crunch time for Nomura and his team. I expect a first quarter or second quarter 2018 release date. Development should be much smoother than FFXV's since they are using the Unreal Engine 4 and not having to worry about finishing creating the Luminous Engine. I expect to see a trailer and possibly a game play demonstration at E3 this year plus some concrete details on how the game is being split up into multiple AAA games. So excited for June 12th.

AverageAfro

PSICOM Soldier
Aug 3, 2016
A lot of people were freaking out about this because they think that Square is just now truly starting development of the FFVII Remake which is completely absurd. I'm sure they are much further along than we think. A lot of studios hire more people when a game is entering it's final development stages so honestly I believe this means it's getting to be crunch time for Nomura and his team. I expect a first quarter or second quarter 2018 release date. Development should be much smoother than FFXV's since they are using the Unreal Engine 4 and not having to worry about finishing creating the Luminous Engine. I expect to see a trailer and possibly a game play demonstration at E3 this year plus some concrete details on how the game is being split up into multiple AAA games. So excited for June 12th.
Do we have any conformation on what games SQE is talking about at E3?

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
http://gematsu.com/2017/05/final-fa...nt-shifts-external-cooperation-internal-focus

"Last week, news surfaced that Square Enix is recruiting core staff for Final Fantasy VII Remake and that Naoki Hamaguchi, the main programmer of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII and project lead on Mobius Final Fantasy, is project lead on the remake.

During a Mobius Final Fantasy live stream on May 27, Hamaguchi commented on the recruitment listings—which are seeking battle and level planners; background, motion, and video effects designers; and a programmer—clarifying that development has shifted from cooperation with an external studio to an internal focus.

The information is already available online, but I’ve taken charge on the development side for Final Fantasy VII Remake,” Hamaguchi said. “As for the whole story, (it’s a sensitive topic, but) until now, development was moving forward with external cooperation, but the company has decided to shift to an internal setup, including mass production and quality, because we want to control everything, including quality, on a stable schedule. (I won’t be leaving Mobius Final Fantasy.)”

It was previously announced that CyberConnect2 was one of Square Enix’s partners on the project"

soon the new director of FFVII remake lmao
two years since the announcement and the game is not in mass development yet, why it always happens with projects directed by nomura and why SQ doesn't fucking learn to reveal a title in apropriate time?

first part won't be out before 2019, i can already see that.

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
"I've taken charge on the development side for Final Fantasy VII Remake" he says...

So... he's going to be the new director?

Could it be the battle system is causing issues? Repeat of Versus developmental issues?

*sigh* this doesn't bode well.

SonOfEtro

Keyblade Master
May 2, 2016
"I've taken charge on the development side for Final Fantasy VII Remake" he says...

So... he's going to be the new director?

Could it be the battle system is causing issues? Repeat of Versus developmental issues?

*sigh* this doesn't bode well.
"Project Lead" and "Director" are separate staff roles. Just like Hamaguchi isn't the director of Mobius, he isn't the director of VII Remake.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Oooh I see.

Still, it's a massive shift for development, switching from external to internal only I mean.

I'm with Storm on this. 2019 or beyond for a release.

xXShuyaXx

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Oooh I see.

Still, it's a massive shift for development, switching from external to internal only I mean.

I'm with Storm on this. 2019 or beyond for a release.
I think this is less a technical issue or a developmental issue, but rather a combination of communication and quality control issue.

Cyberconnect2 is located in Fukuoka, which is, ahem, not close to Tokyo. Rather it's in the furthermost island down southwest of Japan. So there is a definite issue when it comes to communication. Quality control also becomes an issue because of long-distance communication. Much a like a long-distance relationship, it requires so much more effort for something to be simply said and done.

Will this cause a delay in development? Probably no. Although it would take time to transfer assets, unless they decide to scrap what was made, this setback shouldn't cause a big delay overall and schedule would likely to be on time.

Jul 16, 2015
I think this is less a technical issue or a developmental issue, but rather a combination of communication and quality control issue.

Cyberconnect2 is located in Fukuoka, which is, ahem, not close to Tokyo. Rather it's in the furthermost island down southwest of Japan. So there is a definite issue when it comes to communication. Quality control also becomes an issue because of long-distance communication. Much a like a long-distance relationship, it requires so much more effort for something to be simply said and done.

Will this cause a delay in development? Probably no. Although it would take time to transfer assets, unless they decide to scrap what was made, this setback shouldn't cause a big delay overall and schedule would likely to be on time.
Yea I honestly don't see this as something to be worried about. A lot of people are having a meltdown over this but I really don't see a huge delay coming out of this. Maybe a slight one to transfer assets and whatnot but nothing like the game coming out in 2020 or anything to that degree. We just need to wait for Square to give us details on what's going on about the game. We will probably get something at E3.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Not really happy about them just recently switching to internal development after two years, hopefully this won't lead to any thing even more drastic.

Jul 16, 2015
There is absolutely nothing to worry about. I have visited a lot of different sites and most people seem to be freaking the hell out. I don't understand why they are jumping the gun so badly. Some people are actually thinking that they are completely restarting development of the game which is completely absurd and there isn't a single shred of evidence that supports it. This won't mean any kind of huge delay. People have latched on to the whole Marvel game, KHIII and FFVII Remake being released in the "next 3 years" and interpret that it will take 3 years for the first part of the remake to be released which is not at all what that means. The Marvel game was announced last year and just begun development not that long ago so that will be what is released last out of the 3 games. They are releasing one big AAA game a year and FFVII Remake is most likely being released next year while KHIII is released the following year. I bet we will have more info after E3 about what is going on. No need to panic though.

Last edited:

xXShuyaXx

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Not really happy about them just recently switching to internal development after two years, hopefully this won't lead to any thing even more drastic.
They are using UE4 so development is very flexible and since the source code is available to everyone, transitions are very simple. That's probably why the project was being handled off-site. Even if they decide to make big changes, it'll be easier to work on, at least easier than it was with the Luminous Engine.

However, from my knowledge, the latest Luminous Engine ''Pro'' is available to be used. If they decide to switch development from UE4 to LEP, then that's a whole different story.

xXShuyaXx

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
There is absolutely nothing to worry about. I have visited a lot of different sites and most people seem to be freaking the hell out. I don't understand why they are jumping the gun so badly. Some people are actually thinking that they are completely restarting development of the game which is completely absurd and there isn't a single shred of evidence that supports it. This won't mean any kind of huge delay. People have latched on to the whole Marvel game, KHIII and FFVII Remake being released in the "next 3 years" and interpret that it will take 3 years for the first part of the remake to be released which is not at all what that means. The Marvel remake was announced last year and just begun development not that long ago so that will be what is released last out of the 3 games. They are releasing one big AAA game a year and FFVII Remake is most likely being released next year while KHIII is released the following year. I bet we will have more info after E3 about what is going on. No need to panic though.
The Marvel game isn't even being made by SE, nor is it even developed in Japan anyways. It's being developed primarily by Eidos and published by SE, so it has no effect on the development schedule.

Jul 16, 2015
The Marvel game isn't even being made by SE, nor is it even developed in Japan anyways. It's being developed primarily by Eidos and published by SE, so it has no effect on the development schedule.
Yea I know but Square released that development schedule and the Marvel game was included in the games that will be released in the next 3 years. Just clarifying that that is what will be released in three years and not FFVII Remake.