Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vallen

Sphere Hunter
Mar 4, 2018
So we prepare ourselves....for the sixteenth coming.
Yeah lol. But you know what I find scary? It's that as you get older, time flies by quicker. I can't believe this remake got announced at E3 2015, and in a few short months it will be 3-years since then... yet to me it doesn't feel that long ago. The whole idea that it might be on the PS5 is not that farfetch'd because I know 2020 will come quite quickly. Which is insane how fast the years are going by.

Last edited:

AnGer-dono

SOLDIER Second Class
Dec 27, 2014
Germany
Anyone want to take up bets on the public re-reveal of the project?
I think it's going to be either a) after Kingdom Hearts III has come out or b) shortly before release. I'm hedging my bets on the latter to be honest because I'm sure they want to keep tight about how it'll look and play until it's finalized.

Also, and this might just be a weird hunch I'm having, I think they're going to drop the open world everyone seems eager to get and, by extension, the "episodic" concept.

AnGer-dono

SOLDIER Second Class
Dec 27, 2014
Germany
Whether or not the game will surpass the original will be solely left to the eyes of the public. Sure, they can AIM for it and rightly so, but making such lofty promises before we have seen much of the finished product will only create an atmosphere of hype and the inevitable toxicity that follows - like we have seen with XIII and like we see with XV now.

A little humility goes a long way and would be good for Square Enix is all I'm saying.

AnGer-dono

SOLDIER Second Class
Dec 27, 2014
Germany
IMO real problem is not about making lofty promises to the public, the problem is the public inability to judge a piece work under its own merits rather than some marketing stunt hype.
I agree and disagree with that statement at the same time.

The thing is, those lofty promises or marketing stunt hypes are made to do one thing: Sell the product. The bigger the better and we all remember people posting about how important and impactful FF XV was going to be before it came out. Not after the fact. BEFORE. Because the promises and the hype are more important than anything to the ever-important first-day sales and preorders.

Add to that the circumstance that Square Enix has now a history of rather lengthy and public development issues (starting as far back as XIII, which in and of itself fell prey to the overambition brought by the Fabula Nova Crystallis) and an utterly toxic fanbase that loves to talk at lenght already about a game from which we have seen very little and words like these are akin to the oil, which proverbially attempts to extinguish the fire but ends up spreading and fanning it.

Humility goes a long way and we've seen this in the fairly positive reception that SE's games that got less of a hype machine behind them received as of recent, like NieR: Automata, as well as the upcoming Octopath Traveler and Dragon Quest XI. I don't really see Square Enix making statements such as these regarding those games and I feel they come off more welcoming as a result.

Feb 2, 2017
They really shouldn't have announced this game so early before it was actually ready. Again, Final Fantasy XVI shouldn't be announced until its confirmed internally to be a year out from release.
Sadly I feel this mistake will continue to be made.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I really think they didn't see the CC2 drop happening initially, i'd like to believe nothing more than that will happen for the project's lifetime.

Feb 2, 2017
This remake will not exceed the original in terms of reception simply based on the premise that the FF fandom is much more divisive than what it was back in 97. In terms of an actual game, I would certainly hope it could do better than the original overall.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I actually wonder where the Remake's lifetime sales as a whole will sit at, depending on how many parts are released.

Aug 14, 2016
All over
I have my own questions about the viability of the multi-part release strategy, but I'll wait until there's a new article describing a new job posting for a QA lead before commenting further. Seems the prudent thing to do.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
They really shouldn't have announced this game so early before it was actually ready. Again, Final Fantasy XVI shouldn't be announced until its confirmed internally to be a year out from release.
It seems they didn't learn from their mistake with the marketing for Versus/XV.

I sincerely hope we won't need to wait 5-10 years for part 1. If so, it'll be over 15-20 years before we get the full trilogy.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Japanese Dev Comments Final Fantasy VII Remake's Messy Development While Outsourced to CyberConnect2

Dan_Tsukasa said:
fahdadatin said: Absolutely, dealing with Nomura on a daily basis must be the biggest hurdle. I'm amazed anything got done as it is.
Nomura is barely ever there, he's director largely in name alone. He spends the vast majority if his time in Osaka on KH3, as thats where he lives, during the week at least.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ja...ment-while-outsourced-to-cyberconnect2.38709/

Kill me

Last edited:

Bazztek

Forest Owl
May 26, 2014
So like I and most people probably figured, the 2015 PSX gameplay trailer is basically entirely scrapped and they restarted from the ground up, he said it's only 2 years in dev at the current time so they restarted dev sometime in 2016 in that case? Wouldn't that mean they waited a whole year to announce CC2 was fired and the game moved internally?