Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can live with 3 larger games IF they found a way to put Playable Zack's flashbacks in game to be a replacement to Crisis Core and missions with other characters like Yuffie, Vincent and etc as side content...

If they simple split the story in three $60 games without more content, people will be pissed.
(Probably I will be too)

But I'm excited for the next month to be honest... Finally something that isn't Final Fantasy XV.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I think most people hope that, but being realistic here I would be shocked if it didn't end on the highway, with the party looking out at the world that awaits them.
that would be an exciting moment to finish the first act but considering the amount of stuff outside Midgar they would be lefting out a lot to future episodes... we would have like 4 mininum imo, just think about the amount of locations.

I think it would be nice if they covered a bit of the world map right in the first one.

LogicalFal'cie

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 8, 2015
U.K
that would be an exciting moment to finish the first act but considering the amount of stuff outside Midgar they would be lefting out a lot to future episodes... we would have like 4 mininum imo, just think about the amount of locations.

I think it would be nice if they covered a bit of the world map right in the first one.
I mean yeah, I'd prefer it to end on the boat after Junon, but the furthest they've shown in four years is up to the sewers so I'm just keeping it real here.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I mean yeah, I'd prefer it to end on the boat after Junon, but the furthest they've shown in four years is up to the sewers so I'm just keeping it real here.
IIRC, they didn't show much if anything post-Altissia in FFXV until after the Uncovered trailer, either, so I'm not sure that the limited content shown so far can be used to estimate the length of the game proper.

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
A new rumor, but takes this with big grain of salt, because he was told by someone that FF VII Remake will have two parts (part 1 will end in
Aeriths death
and this makes actually sense since new fans really want to know how it goes on) and is coming Early November 2019.

The rest is in the comments.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/bndw4s
Okay so I will post it in this topic. To be clear this is not an individual that I am all that close with. Just a casual acquaintance that I attended HS with and share a similar taste in games with. So he is involved in game journalism with the majority of his content being Japanese games. He shared details with me about the trailer 3-4 hours before it dropped and was 100% accurate beat for beat. I mention this information just to share why I am even given this the time of day. Please understand that I cannot verify this information. I cannot claim it is 100% correct. This same individual also thought we would get information in March-April, but we did not. So either his sourcing is inconsistent, or he has located a new source in Japan that is much more in the know. AGAIN UNDERSTAND THAT IS ALL RUMOR UNTIL PROVEN CORRECT! I am not endorsing this as fact. That said I will now list the information given to me and some may be considered spoilers for those who have not played the original:

FFVII Remake is going to have a HUGE presence at E3. When people say information blowout this will be the definition of it. He says to expect a pretty lengthy trailer that will incorporate game play and story. There will be a game play demonstration as well. We will also get a release date. Not a window, but a date. Early November 2019. He would not give me a hard day. Now, this is stuff we could have all theorized ourselves to be honest.

He also gave me some information about how the game will be split. He claims it will be split into two parts. Part one will end with the death of Aerith. The wait between part one and part two will not be a very long wait in comparison to this initial wait. The games will have expanded plot points and locations with tweaks here and there, but the overall narrative will feel familiar to fans of the original.

Also tells me that the towns and cities feel much more real and organic. Real roads present and feel like they serve realistic functions. A world that feels living. Each location feels unique and feels like it exists for a reason. It makes sense that people put up shop there once upon a time when people were settling in Gaia.

Yuffie and Vincent will be much more organically tied into the story. Said that even though Yuffie is a mandatory character the window that you obtain her optional. Can range anywhere from Junon region to Rocket town. She is obtain via side quest early, but an automatically triggered event later if you do not have in her tow. I think we all figured the two were obviously going to be mandatory characters since they have been included in just about all FFVII related media since the OG, but I find the Yuffie stuff interesting if real and I am not sure how hard that would be to program something like that into a game.

Jenova will still be expanded on, but they are going to keep her origins a bit mysterious. She is going to be frightening with this new tech.

Also mentioned that the Sephiroth scene from the teaser is from the Nibelheim flashback in Kalm. Points to the fact that you can see the road lines to prove that it is not in a reactor like some fan speculation has been.

He also gave me some information game play mechanics:

Limits will be familiar, but different. For example the characters will retain the ability to use all their limit breaks from the OG, but they will serve in different functions. For characters that had the full tree of 7 limit breaks their first limit of that level will be a special attack as in one that you can use from the command menu more freely. Hence Braver in the shortcut menu he says. But Cross-Slash would be used as a limit break in the conventional sense. Bar fills up. Attack is used. Bar depletes after you select. So to simplify it further:

Cloud: Lvl 1: Braver - special attack from menu/ Cross-Slash - Limit Break

Lvl 2: Blade Beam - special attack from menu/ Climhazzard- Limit Break

He also states that Magic and Summon materia will be very familiar in their use. Attaching them allows for those options to show up on the command menu, but you will want to strategically attach materia as the characters will be a little less like "blank slates" than they were in the OG. They will have their niches in combat and constantly utilized them all will be beneficial for players. Trying to just spam one character will not get you very far in the game. You won't want to load your CQC guys with a bunch of magic and weaken their attack and HP stats since they have to be close to the enemies for melee attacks. Where as characters like Vincent and Barrett could shoulder a little more since they do not have to be up close and personal to deal melee damage.

This is the information I was given. Again a lot of it is stuff we could come up with if we sat and thought long enough, but I don't know what this individual would have to gain by making it up. He could have a bad source. He could have a good one as he was right about the teaser. Who knows. Please do not take this as gospel.
To be honest it's believable, but that Square Enix is that far in development, I mean in part 1 there are 10 towns/villages, the battle system ect. and to develop this in 4 years since 2015.
Okay they often said that development is going smoothly but still its Square Enix.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
A new rumor, but takes this with big grain of salt, because he was told by someone that FF VII Remake will have two parts (part 1 will end in
Aeriths death
and this makes actually sense since new fans really want to know how it goes on) and is coming Early November 2019.

The rest is in the comments.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/bndw4s

To be honest it's believable, but that Square Enix is that far in development, I mean in part 1 there are 10 towns/villages, the battle system ect. and to develop this in 4 years since 2015.
Okay they often said that development is going smoothly but still its Square Enix.
Yeah 2 parts sounds better than 3 to me hope this is the case, and since the ad campaign is ramping up I could see it coming out around the end of the year, in fact they may have split it into parts so that the first one came out faster so Nov 2019 does seems feasible and im guessing nov 2020 for the last part.

Feb 19, 2018

Honestly I think people over estimate just how much content the open world had in the original. Most of the added play time came from travelling which was unbearably slow and from all those annoying ass random encounters every 3 seconds. If you think about it what really happens after the gang leaves Midgar? They just go to a hotel where they hear Cloud's story, they go to the chocobo ranch where they catch a chocobo, cross the giant serpent's domain, trek the cave, then after that you make your way to Junon and cross the sea. That's all there is to the first continent aside from optionally getting Yuffie and visiting the lookout with the giant egg but it feels long in OG FFVII because they game is constantly throwing enemies at you and your travel speed is super slow.

I don't think the second or third parts will be nearly as bloated as people seem to think they will be if they just stick to Midgar in the first game. I think they'll actually be facing the exact opposite problem where they'll have to try and add content to the open world areas so that the play time isn't relying on artificial extension. Idk how they'll divide it up story wise but I personally don't think the open world should be as big of a problem if it's left out of the first game entirely. Plus we don't even know if the world map will be the same as I'm sure they'll revise some things so that it's easier to divide up the story between the 3 parts.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Since it was split in parts I always felt that unless part 1 ended on a major story event then it would just feel uneventful and anti climactic, so I was thinking either they create a new climactic thing happening to end it on, or they use one of the actual biggest events and turning points in the story to end part 1 on, and honestly the latter sounds more appealing. I just don't think ending part 1 on the gang leaving Midgar is a big enough or worthy enough end point, because really that just feels like the end of the prologue.

Apr 23, 2018
Ending it with the big death would definitely be going out with a bang as opposed to a fizzle with the group departing from Midgar. And if it's episodic they'd probably like to have a sting to make you want to play the next part. Also all the stuff with Aerith takes place at the end of the first part, so I can see them concluding it there like in the PS1 version.

Since it was split in parts I always felt that unless part 1 ended on a major story event then it would just feel uneventful and anti climactic, so I was thinking either they create a new climactic thing happening to end it on, or they use one of the actual biggest events and turning points in the story to end part 1 on, and honestly the latter sounds more appealing. I just don't think ending part 1 on the gang leaving Midgar is a big enough or worthy enough end point, because really that just feels like the end of the prologue.
The trailer seemed to show a lot of early game stuff, I don't think Cloud even met Sephiroth that early in the story, so unless Cloud is having hallucinations they might decide to throw in an extra Sephiroth fight. Which I would have mixed feelings about, but I feel like Square wouldn't be able to help themselves since Sephiroth is going to be a big selling point. Probably some kind of fight in the forgotten capital actually, that would make the most sense on where to put it.

Feb 19, 2018
Just found out Japanese fans hate Aerith's new face. I'm very confused, to say the least.
It's because Remake Aerith actually looks European (close to Russian or some other form of eastern European imo) which is the vibe I always got from her. Hell her last name is even Gainsborough which is English sounding as fuck. Anyways Japanese fans don't like the fact that she looks completely European instead of the usual Eurasian hybrid that most Japanese made western characters look like. FFXV is a good example of this. Everyone aside from Regis and Ardyn look like they come from a mixed heritage of Asian and European and even then you can see some Asian-ness in young Regis. This is all despite there not being a lick of Japanese/Asian heritage mentioned in the game as everyone's name is Latin and none of the cities or cultures have any Asian/Japanese elements to them. While I don't agree with the criticisms against Aerith's looks I'm not surprised by them either.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
This is the calm before the storm mates. When they re-reveal Tifa is when the virgin primes of the internet will fill their collective diapers.
Can't wait for 'em to reveal to the world how little they know about bra sizes!
If they go off of Tifa Advent Children appearance I'd be totally fine with that.