Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
The datamine info seems to contain screenshots from previous builds/ iterations or is just unfinished assets. There really isn't anything in there that is that different from original/ things that should come as a surprise other than something that Nomura stated when asked about part 1's ending.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
I think that the FFXV leak was way worse. FFVII Remake is still a 23 year old story (that is extremely accessible) that's been updated and fleshed out. Really none of the content of leak is surprising other than seeing a current gen version of the characters. For the most part, we know who and what was going to be in this first part and any new additions shouldn't come as that much of surprise if you are being logical about the type of extra/ new content now are a staple in current gen FF games. For FFXV the leak was way more harmful due to 1. It was a completely new product and the story had been leaked. 2. How it transformed from 2012 to 2016 3. How we found out that content was cut due to time constraints.

Feb 19, 2018
The demo looks good, but not sure how I feel about
that story change with Shinra blowing up the reactor themselves instead of Avalanche being the ones who did it.

Yeah, also his base combo animation string on operator mode seems to have been changed again since the previous trailer and gameplay footage. Back at E3 his combo ender in operator mode was a different slash to what it is now, and he had a combo ender on punisher mode of him stabbing his sword into the ground kinda similar to how Gladio's Earthshatter technique does, though they changed his operator mode combo ender since then and also added some other in between animations now too. I'm not sure if that will be the fixed animation string the entire game or if it will change depending on weapon or equipment.

His Operator Mode combo string from E3

His current Operator Mode combo string

His Punisher Mode combo ender with the sword stab into the ground from E3

But at TGS in the Abzu combat footage the combo ender on Punisher mode appears different instead of being that ground slam, but he also has a different weapon equipped between the two footage.
I'm heavily betting on the combo string evolving and getting more intricate as you level Cloud and his weapons up. Kinda like how KH starts you off with a basic string and by the end of the game Sora is doing all sorts of crazy twirls and flourishes. It would fit with Nomura's design philosophy for combat.

As for the new detail of ShinRa blowing up the reactor there's actually a line in the original game where Jessie points out that the bomb shouldn't have been strong enough to cause such a huge explosion. Just seems like another case of the Remake expanding upon a plot point that was sort of glossed over in the original.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
I've seen some of the leaks and
basically every combat actions, spells and abilities the party does has been leaked, a lot of actual dialog and some images of pre vis Visual Works scenes seemingly from the ending too for the new story things, all the mini games, side stuff, lots of main quest stuff, the number of weapons the party has, all the enemies in the game, some new characters and some other big changes. There's a video that shows clips in the tutorial window that has had every tutorial clip leaked. The summons, the number of chapters, so much leaks and we don't even know how much if it will even actually be in the final game.

One of the more notoble ones is
Red XIII is not playable, he's only a guest party member according to the text box dialogue, and Cloud, Barret, Tifa and Aerith each have only 6 weapons you can equip to them based on the list of weapons one of the leakers posted.

Tbh this is a far more damaging leak than anything that happened for XV, this is entire full game data being leaked 2 months before release from people actually publicly posting data from within the game, while for XV the main "leak" was just one persons opinion giving a bullet point summary of some of the main story beats in XV and mixing in his own biased personal opinions regarding things, many of which were inaccurate or false, whereas this is directly from the game content itself and reveals practically everything that will be in the game including every story section in detail with full dialogue attached. Especially since this is being leaked widely to the public and will affect perception of things with visuals attached, whereas with the XV leak it didn't even become something anyone talked about until after the E3 demo and even then discussion about it only stayed on a few gaming forums, it wasn't widespread news or public knowledge that anything even got leaked. And as for how things in XV changed from 2012 to 2016 it was publicly documented in multiple ATR's and trailers what kind of changes had happened to the game and it was already officially revealed there would be DLC to play as the bros too, which was already something that wasn't even supposed to be in the actual XV that BD2 was making when they first started on Luminous and became BD2 at the end of 2013 with Tabata, they only started forming the idea to do bro DLC in 2016.

Last edited:

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
The OST have the classic FF melodies mixed in with western orchestral renditions. Some of these sounded a lot like Masashi Hamauzu's FFXIII scores. Not a fan of overly metal sounding pieces though.

Last edited:

Flash Over

Chocobo Knight
Mar 7, 2015
NL, Canada
The OST have the classic FF melodies mixed in with western orchestral renditions. Some of these sounded a lot like Masashi Hamauzu's FFXIII scores. Not a fan of overly metal sounding pieces though.
Yeah, it appears there will be some kind of jukebox feature and a lot of those songs from past titles are actually from various Square Enix albums (SE Chips, Square Enix Jazz, BRABRA, etc)

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Yeah, it appears there will be some kind of jukebox feature and a lot of those songs from past titles are actually from various Square Enix albums (SE Chips, Square Enix Jazz, BRABRA, etc)
the arrangements of those albums are pretty good, fine by me.

jazz would fit nicely with Midgar

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Huh. Maybe it's time for a bold prediction -- I think the Metacritic average for FF7R will be in line with FFXV and KHIII. Seems like it's going to be a solid, fun game that can't quite transcend the shadow of the original.

Feb 19, 2018
Huh. Maybe it's time for a bold prediction -- I think the Metacritic average for FF7R will be in line with FFXV and KHIII. Seems like it's going to be a solid, fun game that can't quite transcend the shadow of the original.
Damn, I hope this doesn't happen. FFXV was a decent game at launch and imo became pretty good after the many updates. KH3 was also a fun little romp and it seems with the upcoming DLC will become a pretty solid entry. Both games got the hate bandwagon something fierce though and the leaks didn't help one bit. In the end it resulted in decent games getting trashed more than they deserved. I can definitely foresee FFVIIR being a fun time but getting destroyed by all those who will go in with bandwagon opinions already in their heads.

inb4 Square just outright sells FF to Disney cuz they don't wanna deal with it anymore and we see a repeat of Star Wars. lol

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
This Twitter user claimed something about the game-play from what he/she had seen or heard.:

That man deserves a Peabody award for reporting.... Starting in 2015 the battle menu, the attack animations (the flashiness) and now from what we learned in 2019 the weapon system is clearly inspired by Nomura's work on KH. Hell, he even used triangle as the interaction button (thankfully) from KH.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
It has been ages since I last posted on here.

Hope everyone has been well! Less than 2 months till FF7R drops and very excited with what we’ve seen so far.

Preordered the deluxe edition and I did take a look at the leaks.

I wonder if they’ll still release the demo after this has happened?

They didn’t announce it officially so technically they can sweep it under the rug since they didn’t promise anything.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
about that, i have the impression the gameplay and cutscene presentation will be far more polished than XVs.

it doesnt feel nearly as clunky or messy on battles; we'll see about the rest.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
This Twitter user claimed something about the game-play from what he/she had seen or heard.:

This person doesn't know what they are talking about, and the combat director for FF7R only joined SE in 2018 after leaving Capcom, having worked on Resident Evil 5 and some Monster Hunter games.
I've look at all the leaked combat actions in FF7R and there isn't really anything at all that looks like it's using "tokyo team" design philosophy, or really being anything from "KH2" gameplay at that.

What's even funnier is that FFXV actually had more people involved with the combat design from "tokyo team" than FF7R does, and the "tokyo team" combat designers split up and went to different games after KH2FM, with Kanemori the battle planning director/planning director on KH2/FM joining Versus/XV as the same role he had on KH2 and then in 2015 for FFXV Tabata confirmed he was the one who was in charge of combat designing/programming for all the enemies in the game, and gave the Magitek Soldiers in the demo as an example of an enemy he created from the beginning, all enemies we've ever seen for the game in pre-release footage and demos still function exactly the same to this day as is the way that you fight them, so even despite him leaving SE in late 2015 a few months after Ep Duscae 2.0 released, all the work he did for the games combat and enemy combat design was still retained.
Takahashi who was under him as "lead planner" for battle planning on KH2 went to Dissidia and a mobile game that was discontinued after being Japan only, and was only mentioned to be working on FF7R a few years ago, but we know he isn't the battle director of that since Teruki Endo, a former Capcom dev that joined SE in 2018 is, what Takahashi's actual role on FF7R even is hasn't been mentioned yet or even if he's still on the game.
Yuji Abe a battle planner on KH2 went to work on the FF13 trilogies combat, and creative supervised KH3.
Kujiraoka also a KH2 battle planner went to work on Dissidia series and FF13 series too.
Daisuke Sase a battle planner on KH2 went to FF14/ARR/HW, but hasn't been seen credited since Heavensward in anything.
Masanori Sato went from a KH2 battle planner to Versus/XV involved asa lead game designer for battles too as mentioned in the June 2015 ATR, as well as the vehicle section of XV, then did level design on KH3.

I even made this chart a few months back explaining where all the "tokyo team/KH1/KH2" combat devs went after KH2. This whole notion of a "tokyo team" is archaic and only existed 2 entire company restructures ago.

As for level design on FF7R
based on the leaked footage of clips from within the data, it looks to resemble most closely to FF13 style level design, it even has the "auto jump" thing FF13 had where you walk near a blue icon on the ground and press forward/a button for it to auto jump/auto action to move.