Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I liked the 2008 and 2011 Versus trailers about as much as anybody. BUT...it stands to reason that if the story, lore, and game systems were that solid, we would have gotten Versus. Since they weren't -- maybe, just maybe -- they needed major revisions to work as a cohesive narrative. Given that Hamlet quote, some fans have put Tabata as Claudius to Nomura's King Hamlet.

I'd be interested in seeing these character concepts. There's a reason characters like Jabba were excised from the original Star Wars -- and why Paul Hirsch won an Oscar for his work on that movie. The original cut was an unmitigated disaster. I have a feeling that the same fate awaited the unabridged "World of the Versus Epic"
I agree. Everything I've read comes back to this.

And hey, I'm not hating on the guy, either. I do the same thing all the time when I'm working on something creative. Take my minecraft stuff as an example. I'll get one nice little idea here, another one there, and then try to find some way to put them together in the same world or whatever, but it just doesn't fit.

It's really not fair of people to blame Tabata for making the moves that need to be made to make this a reality, while also romanticizing all of Nomura's contributions. It's like when you have two parents split up and one of them is all like "well, I WANTED to buy you a Pony, but your mom wouldn't let me".

You were never getting a Pony. And your Tabata-mom is busting his/her ass to give you the closest thing the real world can make happen.

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I liked the 2008 and 2011 Versus trailers about as much as anybody. BUT...it stands to reason that if the story, lore, and game systems were that solid, we would have gotten Versus. Since they weren't -- maybe, just maybe -- they needed major revisions to work as a cohesive narrative. Given that Hamlet quote, some fans have put Tabata as Claudius to Nomura's King Hamlet.

I'd be interested in seeing these character concepts. There's a reason characters like Jabba were excised from the original Star Wars -- and why Paul Hirsch won an Oscar for his work on that movie. The original cut was an unmitigated disaster. I have a feeling that the same fate awaited the unabridged "World of the Versus Epic"
That's what I recently started thinking honestly.

As much of a Nomura fan as I am, as well as how he presents his concepts, he can make questionable execution time to time again. And no matter how captivating Versus XIII looked, there was never any guarantee that it's quality would be near-flawless.

But speaking of looks, I'd like to chime my opinion on the Versus XIII 2011 trailer. There is little denying that it is one of the most well-directed video game trailers to date with plenty of re-watch value and hype, but that's not where I'm heading at.

It is in my personal opinion that the combat segment of 2011 looks quite dated, clunky, and unresponsive compared to what we have now. Outside of the non-functioning KH-esque UI and magic, nothing about it looked as fluid as KH in the slightest despite naysay. The fact that FFXV, despite carrying over the exact attack animation speed strikes from Versus 2011, was notably criticized during the PD/Duscae days for having unresponsive input from players (moreso with Tabata bringing it up in the complaints list during a feedback ATR) speaks volumes of Versus XIII' combat input in my belief.

My two cents.

Last edited:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
BTW, new """leak""" in your usual place (ever since the 52 minute video I ocassionally glance the official forums). So be careful and all that.

And the Ferrari thing is understandable, but I mean, it's kinda weird to be that outspoken, especially when you're still working for them (in the VII remake, no less. Although I guess most of his work could be already done?). Anyways, I hope he doesn't get into any kind of trouble, I enjoy his designs for the most part.

Which BTW, now that it's confirmed that Naora drew older Noctis, I really want him as the main character designer in XVI. I'm guessing he might be the one who redesigned older Gladio, Ignis and Prompto, although their changes are minimal in a way (they make a big difference imo, though).

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
The parry executions remind me a lot of KH2:FM's reaction commands, in a very good way.

Which BTW, now that it's confirmed that Naora drew older Noctis, I really want him as the main character designer in XVI.
Legit i actually find older Noctis to be the best designed out of the rest, and i say this as someone who likes them plenty.

Aug 13, 2016
To give my views on the transition from Versus XIII to XV, my interest in versus XIII originally stemmed from the involvement of Nomura and the Kingdom Hearts team. Kingdom Hearts was and is still to this day one of my favourite game series. I saw the initial trailer for Versus XIII and i was hooked from then on in. From memory, i can remember waiting for TGS each year to hear about any progress or see a new trailer. Whilst trailers were released, i was unsure how much progress had been made and if Versus XIII would ever see the light of day. I can remember rumours started to fly around that it had been cancelled or that it would be re-anounced as Final Fantasy XV. Being honest, the rumours didn't surprise me and i was fearing the worst.

In 2013, I was sat in work trying to avoid any announcements from Sony's E3 press conference until i could get home to watch it. On my dinner break i stumbled across the announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3. I was shocked, didn't believe it was real and couldn't wait to get home to watch the press conference. I can remember when Nomura came on screen to show a new trailer for versus XIII. I was shocked by it's scale, how epic it looked and the soundtrack. It then transitioned into Final Fantasy XV and i thought it looked something special. The announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3 directly followed and i'll be honest, it didn't have the same impact on me. Final Fantasy XV was all i could think about after that trailer.

I then continued to follow it's development and heard the news Nomura was stepping down as director and handing the reigns fully over to Tabata. At the time, i didn't really know what to make of it. I put a lot of faith in Nomura and i knew little about Tabata at the time. I then saw the new trailer from TGS i believe the following year and i was having my doubts. Was this project straying too far from Nomura's original vision?

I think the turning point for me was playing Episode Duscae. Fighting the goblins in the caves, finding deadeyes lair and the combat system all made it begin to click for me. I then summoned Ramuh and was generally in awe, the first time since the E3 2013 trailer.

Whilst remembering how the project started and being thankful to Nomura, from that point onwards, i started to believe in Tabata and where FFXV is ultimately heading towards. I've appreciated Tabata's openness about the development, the ATR's and taking on board fan feedback for Episode Duscae for example. I now look forward to the games release and i'm thankful to Tabata and the development team for all their hard work and efforts.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
The parry executions remind me a lot of KH2:FM's reaction commands, in a very good way.

Legit i actually find older Noctis to be the best designed out of the rest, and i say this as someone who likes them plenty.
The CG render particularly! It's, by a large margin, my favourite FF main character design (the second one would be OG Squall I guess (hate, HATE the Dissidia one). Or well, Locke if you consider VI a game without a truly central character. If not, Terra is amazing, too).

Looks elegant and rugged at the same time, has a hairstyle that's original enough while not being too out there (and it being gray sets him apart from other characters from XV and the series) and him having red eyes (even if it's because of plot reasons) is a really refreshing and nice change: I have blue eyes and even I am tired of FF main characters always having the same colour: have them have brown, green, black or whatever, but change them. Same for hair colour, let us have a ginger main character someday :happymog: Clothes are actually great too, by far the best Roen ones. And the stubble/beard is another nice addition.

Actually hurts my poor heart that it's not his default design tbh. If we can't use him for long, at least make him an alternative skin for NG+!

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
well, if you read some interviews with Nomura, you can see he was testing a lot of different things and changing a few of them; for record, the original prototypes costumes and design for Stella were much better imo.

he also considered the idea of having a overworld map like the PS1 era, but then discarded, etc.

I think in terms of gameplay we are getting what Nomura wanted to do, in the end.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
At first I thought creating a thread for this but after some thoughts I think this is something "minor" but at least worth knowing and thus I´ll post it here.

Roberto Ferrari (character designer) designed Aranea Highwind around June 2010 and Ardyn Izunia in December of the same year (but later made some tweaks around January 2011).
He also laments that other characters he designed could not survive the transition from VSXIII to XV due to changes in the story.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1167574873314869&id=944530178952674
Wouldn't he get in real trouble for posting this?

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
How? He worked on the game too. Is Tabata not a source either?
Why would Tabata not be a source? Don't do that.

Spiro left the company before the game was finished and likely doesn't have the whole story. When the original leak came out, he said that the leaker didn't look like someone who had inside knowledge. People took that as official word, those leaks get blasted all over the place.

I asked him to clarify later, and instead of unequivocally denying the accuracy of the rumors, he dodged that question and offered a case against them no different from any other random person's guess. Those leaks ended up being true.

Now, he's again not saying they are false, he said every time a leak comes out, he feels more confident in his former co-workers ability to keep secrets. Again, implying the rumors were fake, but not really saying it.

At this point, he's a guy with an opinion. Nothing more. He is not a source. And you don't have to go too far back to see an example of his opinion on these matters being wrong.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
To give my views on the transition from Versus XIII to XV, my interest in versus XIII originally stemmed from the involvement of Nomura and the Kingdom Hearts team. Kingdom Hearts was and is still to this day one of my favourite game series. I saw the initial trailer for Versus XIII and i was hooked from then on in. From memory, i can remember waiting for TGS each year to hear about any progress or see a new trailer. Whilst trailers were released, i was unsure how much progress had been made and if Versus XIII would ever see the light of day. I can remember rumours started to fly around that it had been cancelled or that it would be re-anounced as Final Fantasy XV. Being honest, the rumours didn't surprise me and i was fearing the worst.

In 2013, I was sat in work trying to avoid any announcements from Sony's E3 press conference until i could get home to watch it. On my dinner break i stumbled across the announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3. I was shocked, didn't believe it was real and couldn't wait to get home to watch the press conference. I can remember when Nomura came on screen to show a new trailer for versus XIII. I was shocked by it's scale, how epic it looked and the soundtrack. It then transitioned into Final Fantasy XV and i thought it looked something special. The announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3 directly followed and i'll be honest, it didn't have the same impact on me. Final Fantasy XV was all i could think about after that trailer.

I then continued to follow it's development and heard the news Nomura was stepping down as director and handing the reigns fully over to Tabata. At the time, i didn't really know what to make of it. I put a lot of faith in Nomura and i knew little about Tabata at the time. I then saw the new trailer from TGS i believe the following year and i was having my doubts. Was this project straying too far from Nomura's original vision?

I think the turning point for me was playing Episode Duscae. Fighting the goblins in the caves, finding deadeyes lair and the combat system all made it begin to click for me. I then summoned Ramuh and was generally in awe, the first time since the E3 2013 trailer.

Whilst remembering how the project started and being thankful to Nomura, from that point onwards, i started to believe in Tabata and where FFXV is ultimately heading towards. I've appreciated Tabata's openness about the development, the ATR's and taking on board fan feedback for Episode Duscae for example. I now look forward to the games release and i'm thankful to Tabata and the development team for all their hard work and efforts.
In many ways I'm in agreement. I wanted very much to see a full Nomura directed Final Fantasy game and the fact that it was set to be the darkest got me very interested.

But, as for Tabata, I actually liked him better when he was not the director of this game. Or at least the sole director of it. I enjoy what he's done with the gameplay and that he's willing to be open about the development. But for me, after rereading so many of his interviews and seeing so many of his contradictory statements, I can't say I think he's a great director. I think there is such a thing as being too open and in many cases, Tabata has been that. And it hasn't always been a good thing, such as how he explained Stella's removal.

Look, there's a reason that is always gonna hang over his head and it's because it just feels so unnecessary, no matter what. And I've seen many fans annoyed by his latest reveal about the reason she was changed. It didn't sound like he was trying to be respectful, it sounded like he was blaming us for her not being able to be in the game. That's the impression so many got from it and the fact that Luna has gotten a mixed response from so many even after Kingsglaive showed more of her isn't making the loss of Stella any better.

Where am I going with this? Well, basically it's just that while I am still looking forward to the game, I'm apprehensive because it feels like it's going to be a mess when it comes to the story. I'm not making a snap judgment on this, there are a lot of good elements to the game, but there's also a lot of elements that just don't fit. If Cindy wasn't supposed to be a sexualized character, than why is it that so many scenes featuring her have her in some way ogled by the camera. If Luna is as strong as you say, why is it that our first look at her was of her looking passive and weak willed? And why would you say she doesn't need saving when she needed to be saved by Nyx at some point? I know she does other stuff, but it's just an example.

Over all, there's nothing wrong with people who who are absolutely fine with the changes and people who can't stand them. It's too early to tell if these will be valid or not and I hope to be proven wrong. But, I still don't trust Tabata's vision and I can't honestly say I want him to do another big Final Fantasy game. I think he's better with spinoff games.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Justice Monsters V is out!

It's neat. I think I found a bug already on level 5 of the tutorial. The monster I was using got "killed" during story pop-ups and now I can't due, use abilities or change characters, and I'm whittling away at a boss for like 10 minutes now. Maybe I did something wrong, though, I dunno.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland

nice interview, i'm not sure how much you can actually change about the car's design, but this feature is hype.
the magic crafting doesn't seem to affect the visuals of the magic, only bonus stats; hope i'm wrong tho.