Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I kind of feel bad for Ray -- all he wanted to do was say something nice about the game and the way it retains player agency more consistently than previous FFs, but it somehow got misinterpreted into "the game doesn't have much of a story." =/

(Considering the amount of party banter in the game, I kind of suspect that it'll have more dialogue than FFXIII even if you can't make an 8hr compilation from the non-playable bits.)

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I kind of feel bad for Ray -- all he wanted to do was say something nice about the game and the way it retains player agency more consistently than previous FFs, but it somehow got misinterpreted into "the game doesn't have much of a story." =/

(Considering the amount of party banter in the game, I kind of suspect that it'll have more dialogue than FFXIII even if you can't make an 8hr compilation from the non-playable bits.)
There's always going to be those people who just don't seem to pay attention unfortunately... For someone who cares so much about story, they don't seem to have good reading comprehension.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016

Oh yes, guy just wanted to share his excitment and its is ended up people start suspected another MGSV situation. I really can't believe.
Exaggeration of such minor things and nitpicking is really annoying about this game :(

Last edited:

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
http://www.gamekyo.com/blog_article397460.html

The same article as Eurogamer, but with some additional and very interesting read about VersusXIII:

Versus XIII n'a cessé de grandir et grossir sur le papier jusqu'à prendre la forme d'une trilogie de jeux alors qu'aucune avancée technologique significative ne s'accomplissait. Le projet se résumait à une compilation d'idées certes excellentes mais qui ne se connectaient pas les unes aux autres. Les premiers trailers n'étaient que conceptuels et certains des éléments comme l'opposition de Stella et de Noctis dans les rues d'Insomnia n'existaient déjà plus dans le Versus XIII de 2011, le rôle de Stella était très FNC-heavy mais le personnage avait au final que très peu de temps d'écran, le premier jeu des trois avait d'ailleurs comme but le sauvetage d'une Stella retenue aux jupes des forces de Nifflheim. Le deuxième jeu se concentrait sur la reprise d'Insomnia et le troisième jeu mettait en scène Noctis contre les Dieux. L'échec vint principalement du mauvais management de Nomura qui faisait patauger son équipe dans des problèmes techniques que personne ne savait résoudre
Rough translate:

Versus XIII has continued to grow and grow on the paper to take the form of a game trilogy while no significant technological advance not fulfilled. The project consisted of a compilation of ideas certainly excellent but did not were connecting to each other. The first trailers were only conceptual and some elements like the opposition of Stella and Noctis the streets Insomnia we're no longer in Versus XIII of 2011, the role of Stella was very FNC-heavy but character was ultimately very little screen time, the first game of the three had also aim rescue a Stella restraint skirts forces Nifflheim. The second set focused on the resumption of Insomnia and the third game staged Noctis against the Gods. The failure came mainly from poor management of Nomura who was his team wade into technical problems that nobody knew solve
Shotouts to official forums
https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/di...why-versus-xiii-failed-nomuras-anxiety#latest

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
http://www.gamekyo.com/blog_article397460.html

The same article as Eurogamer, but with some additional and very interesting read about VersusXIII:

Rough translate:

Shotouts to official forums
https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/di...why-versus-xiii-failed-nomuras-anxiety#latest
Interesting. Well it's all in the past now and I'm glad that in the present the game will be coming out in less than 30 days with a complete story.

I sense a lot of Nomura hate will be incoming.

He may not have finished the project but I'm grateful he came up with the concepts because we now have the game as it is today.

He at least needs to be acknowledged for that.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Never ever gonna hate Nomura, he created the idea of this game in the first place. It would've not exist without him.
Yup. Exactly this.

It's just sad that some forums like to bash either Tabata or Nomura, when in all honesty we should be grateful for both for what they both each brought to the table.

One for a wonderful idea and concept, and the other for turning it into a reality.

This game wouldn't have existed if not for both of them. Don't know why this is so hard to understand for some people.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
@Jubileus, @Slaintimez, here's a slightly tidier translation of the Gamekyo article:

"Versus XIII continued to grow and grow on the paper to take the form of a game trilogy while no no significant technological advance was accomplished. The project consisted of a compilation of certainly excellent ideas that did not connect to each other. The first trailers were only conceptual and some elements like the opposition of Stella and Noctis and the streets of Insomnia were in Versus XIII in 2011, the role of Stella was very FNC-heavy but the character ultimately had very little screentime, the first game of the three had the aim of rescuing Stella from Niflheim restraint. The second game focused on the recovery of Insomnia and the third game staged Noctis against the gods. The failure came mainly from Nomura's poor management, who was floundering his team with technical problems no-one could solve."

Might still be a little rough, but that cuts out the Google Translate errors. On the whole, I don't think Stella would have been that impressive from this description. Even Lightning's role in XIII-2 sounds better than this.

EDIT: Just noticed something. XIII ended up with a trilogy with that basic structure (rescue, recover, deicide), while Versus/XV was condensed into a single game. It was initially going to be the other way round!

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
@Jubileus, @Slaintimez, here's a slightly tidier translation of the Gamekyo article:

"Versus XIII continued to grow and grow on the paper to take the form of a game trilogy while no no significant technological advance was accomplished. The project consisted of a compilation of certainly excellent ideas that did not connect to each other. The first trailers were only conceptual and some elements like the opposition of Stella and Noctis and the streets of Insomnia were in Versus XIII in 2011, the role of Stella was very FNC-heavy but the character ultimately had very little screentime, the first game of the three had the aim of rescuing Stella from Niflheim restraint. The second game focused on the recovery of Insomnia and the third game staged Noctis against the gods. The failure came mainly from Nomura's poor management, who was floundering his team with technical problems no-one could solve."

Might still be a little rough, but that cuts out the Google Translate errors. On the whole, I don't think Stella would have been that impressive from this description. Even Lightning's role in XIII-2 sounds better than this.

EDIT: Just noticed something. XIII ended up with a trilogy with that basic structure (rescue, recover, deicide), while Versus/XV was condensed into a single game. It was initially going to be the other way round!
This is gold. Pure gold. I hope it's legit. It's everything I've been saying for months, so it feels almost too good to be true.

And the takeaway here is that FFXV really is still 90% FFXIII vs, just adapted for the mainline. Instead of rescuing Stella from Nifleheim in the first game, Nyx rescues Luna from Nifleheim in Kingsglaive. The first act of XV is probably taking back Insomnia, and after the fake ending a la FFVI, the real conflict happens, ie, the plague and the fighting of the gods, blah blah details.

And to Nomura fans, this doesn't make Nomura a bad person or incompetent. It just means a creative guy got put into an administrative role and it wasn't a good fit. That's OK. It doesn't mean he's not talented.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over

Thanks for sharing.

That REALLY sounds like the Versus description from that second round of "leaks" (the very positive ones). It has the "ring" of truth, but I'd like to know their sources here.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Oh yes, guy just wanted to share his excitment and its is ended up people start suspected another MGSV situation. I really can't believe.

Exaggeration of such minor things and nitpicking is really annoying about this game
What's especially frustrating is that, given what I've heard about MGSV, we've probably already seen enough story stuff from XV to guarantee that there's more there then that game had. xD;

Are they just uncritically parroting the 4chan leak? >_>;

This was vaguely plausible before the Omen trailer, but it makes no sense to me that Nomura would have dropped the opposition between Noct and Stella when Tabata was able to work that dynamic into the Noct-Luna relationship. The context might have still been completely different, obviously ("What took you so long, Kairi?", anyone?), but dropping a revealed concept outright when he could just retool it would have been out of character for Nomura.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016

Well, there it is xD

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I'm trying not to get too high on those quotes though. It's not 100% clear who actually says those words. Is it an actual report or someone's spin? It's just too good to believe, lol.