Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
This makes the Road trip theme seem more fun to me, and it makes the world or at least the distance from country to country seem well spaced out. I do as well hope they fill it well enough with things to do and enemies.
What i mostly want is things being spaced out, i don´t ask for the map to be filled with crap every 5 steps.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
For me, it's not necessary for every single location to be filled with something at every point, that could actually become tedious. And a bit unrealistic actual. Even those games with large maps aren't plastered stuff, sometimes only enemy encounters. I also just love exploring the scenery at times.

That's why more linear games like FF10 & 13, did not bother me ironically. Just being able to go off track in Gran Pulse was a enough for me. :)

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
That's why more linear games like FF10 & 13, did not bother me ironically. Just being able to go off track in Gran Pulse was a enough for me. :)
For me, X was fine with its linearity because of the story driving you forward. The idea of having to travel from place to place meant looking back didn't really make sense. This is why ultimately until the end of the game I didn't even realize that the entire game is just a huge line moving forward. That being said, I much preferred XII's world over X's.

However, with XIII, especially on the PS3 and 360, I found it inexcusable for the levels to be so small. It's often called a hallway simulator just because of how narrow and limiting the environment is. No one ever referred to X as that way, and for good reason. Grand Pulse was also a joke, it was shown and depicted to be a lot larger and more prevalent in the story, which was just false advertising, as the end product was just an open field of nothingness. I haven't even gotten that far into XIII before ultimately I stopped playing it because of how boring the entire experience was for me.

I think XII and Dragon Quest VIII did a great job of creating a game with worlds that were fun to explore while also being open. DQVIII had the world map with the towns and other areas being sectioned off, while FFXII had continuous map after map in large grid like formations where everything feels connected in a big world. Both experiences were fun to traverse and to explore while the linear corridors of X and XIII ultimately squash and desire of exploration.

Lightning Returns took a step in the right direction in terms of the map, but ultimately it doesn't really amount to anything at the end of the day... XV looks to have a world map that's diverse in scenery and looks to be much more enjoyable to explore. I think it will be more like FFXII if you took out the boundaries between areas.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
For me, X was fine with its linearity because of the story driving you forward. The idea of having to travel from place to place meant looking back didn't really make sense. This is why ultimately until the end of the game I didn't even realize that the entire game is just a huge line moving forward. That being said, I much preferred XII's world over X's.

However, with XIII, especially on the PS3 and 360, I found it inexcusable for the levels to be so small. It's often called a hallway simulator just because of how narrow and limiting the environment is. No one ever referred to X as that way, and for good reason. Grand Pulse was also a joke, it was shown and depicted to be a lot larger and more prevalent in the story, which was just false advertising, as the end product was just an open field of nothingness. I haven't even gotten that far into XIII before ultimately I stopped playing it because of how boring the entire experience was for me.

I think XII and Dragon Quest VIII did a great job of creating a game with worlds that were fun to explore while also being open. DQVIII had the world map with the towns and other areas being sectioned off, while FFXII had continuous map after map in large grid like formations where everything feels connected in a big world. Both experiences were fun to traverse and to explore while the linear corridors of X and XIII ultimately squash and desire of exploration.

Lightning Returns took a step in the right direction in terms of the map, but ultimately it doesn't really amount to anything at the end of the day... XV looks to have a world map that's diverse in scenery and looks to be much more enjoyable to explore. I think it will be more like FFXII if you took out the boundaries between areas.
After replaying FF7, FF10 recently, and now replaying FF13 currently. I can respect your opinion but I also kindly disagree. Remove the mini-map, and add a reason to revisit Cocoon, and your getting closer to FF10. Add a world map and there you have it. As for complaint comparing FF10 and FF13 in who said want, I honestly threw much of them away after hearing among them its a 'Barbie' game, and we got sequels because Lightning is Toriyama's waifu. People have legit complaints, but then again people are far to entitled.

Also I'm worried of the trend that many FF fans have now that just because it's FF, the structure FF13 took was unacceptable on PS3. Just as people now think just because FF7 is getting a remake it can't be turn-based as it's 'out dated', I don't care which route it takes, but turn-based RPG is not out dated or low budget/handheld material.

The thing I won't ever stand, as it's illogical is people claim what can be a Final Fantasy due to tropes and cameos to the series no matter how much its gameplay and structure deviate from the series traditional roots but (perhaps naively) claim what isn't a Final Fantasy due to specific gameplay elements that actually resemble classic titles more.

EDIT: Actually I think the term is "You can't have your cake and eat it too", only applying facts to what supports their cause while neglecting what info may be provided that support other causes.

Last edited:

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
I'm calling it now, the dog is Promto.
He is some sort of shapeshifter.
I have no bases for this theory, except for the bandage the dog has on his leg and the cinematography in the trailer feels like it cut off right before he turned into a human from behind the pillar.
Edit: Might not be Prompto but I'm pretty sure its a shapeshifter.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I'm calling it now, the dog is Promto.
He is some sort of shapeshifter.
I have no bases for this theory, except for the bandage the dog has on his leg and the cinematography in the trailer feels like it cut off right before he turned into a human from behind the pillar.
Edit: Might not be Prompto but I'm pretty sure its a shapeshifter.
I'm fairly certain it's a shapeshifter as well honestly for the reasons you described. Also, they described the dog not being owned to anyone, which would mean it's either like Red XIII or it's a shape shifter.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Something that no one brought up yet, Noctis Gun mode camera.
Does anyone find interesting that they are going for a camera akin to Uncharted/RE4,5,6 instead of something like Devil May Cry/Bayonetta ?

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Something that no one brought up yet, Noctis Gun mode camera.
Does anyone find interesting that they are going for a camera akin to Uncharted/RE4,5,6 instead of something like Devil May Cry/Bayonetta ?
I did, and I'm excited about that prospect. We still don't know, though.