Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Truuuuue, i probably should have detailed VII-X in the golden age category. I guess i included XII due to critics singing high praises for it back then despite fan reception being a night & day difference (then again you could make a similar argument with VIII anyway).

People would certainly argue that XIII was "the beginning of the end" but i definitely see your point on the current era technically beginning with XII.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Can XII really be considered to have been part of FF's golden age? It seems more like the start of the series' current era to me, given its troubled development history and general divisiveness (though I'll admit that I'm a bit biased, given my own issues with the game >_>; ).
According to my experience with the fandom "how far the golden age of FF goes" tends to be divided on these groups:
  • Last game under Hironobu Sakaguchi's supervision (FF9)
  • Last game under the Squaresoft brand (FF10)
  • Last game before Tetsuya Nomura became "influential" in the series (FF6)
There are others but in my view and experience these three are the most common division.

Ikkin

Keyblade Master
Oct 30, 2016
Truuuuue, i probably should have detailed VII-X in the golden age category. I guess i included XII due to critics singing high praises for it back then despite fan reception being a night & day difference (then again you could make a similar argument with VIII anyway).

People would certainly argue that XIII was "the beginning of the end" but i definitely see your point on the current era technically beginning with XII.
It seems more accurate to say that XIII is an outlier in an otherwise consistent trend that encompasses XII, XIV, and XV.

XII, XIV, and XV were affected by similar issues -- extended development (note that FFXII's development began in 2001 and wasn't completed until 2006) that resulted in major conceptual shifts (like FFXII's choice of main character), changes in leadership (Matsuno left in the middle of FFXII's development), and significant post-release work being done to respond to issues that fans had with the game (like FFXII's generally-disliked license board). FFXIII doesn't fit into that same model; its period of development wasn't unusually long for an HD game (even if only a fraction of it ended up being properly utilized), it seemed to have been developed on the fly rather than transformed from a significantly different original concept, it retained the same leadership throughout, and it was not given the opportunity to redeem itself as a game (even if it had sequels that responded to some of the issues that fans complained about).

According to my experience with the fandom "how far the golden age of FF goes" tends to be divided on these groups:
There are others but in my view and experience these three are the most common division.
Yeah, that's the impression I had, too.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
its only normal that the most divisive FFs were also the titles that made the most drastic changes to the formula, and the ones that suffered development issues while taking a lot to come out

XII had a change of directors
XIII engine problems that limited the overall design
XIV 1.0 mismanaged
XV well... fucking 10 years, changed director, got rebranded

as much as i really love the latter FFs and their ideas (I actually prefer the newer ones), i have to agree the older ones were overall better realized games.

SonOfEtro

White SeeD
May 2, 2016
Can XII really be considered to have been part of FF's golden age? It seems more like the start of the series' current era to me, given its troubled development history and general divisiveness (though I'll admit that I'm a bit biased, given my own issues with the game >_>; ).
I think I'd divide FF into these periods.

First Period; Final Fantasy 1 to 3, the series' genesis period when the basics were being fleshed out.

Second Period; Final Fantasy 4 to 6, the time when everything was flowing well and the series established more of its current identity.

Third Period; Final Fantasy 7 to 9, the peak of the series popularity and market dominance.

Fourth Period; FF 10 to 12, mainly dominated by spin-off projects such as the Compilation and basically when FF full expanded beyond the main series.

Fifth Period; FF 13 to 15, a time of strife and reorganisation compounded by development problems and a changing gaming landscape.

Sixth Period; We're in it now. And who knows what comes next.

XIV 1.0 mismanaged
I'd like to add to this that XIV's use of Crystal Tools (totally unsuitable engine for MMO or even open world development without extensive overhauling) didn't help matters.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Getting such a bright and decent shot of Gralea in that trailer reaaaaaally makes me want to explore it more. Maybe they can expand Chapter 13 while they are at it lol. Or maybe Ardyn's DLC has some of it in there.

FFChocobo18

Keyblade Master
Jan 9, 2017

got a bit emotional, ive never seen such a big post-launch support for a single-player game, i'm very glad it was for FFXV.

and stop hyping the "end of the journey" tabata
I agree, this is the biggest post-launch support I've seen so far, I'm very happy that it's for FFXV as well, I would say the post-launch support of Super Smash Brothers. for Wii U and 3DS comes close second to it, due to the DLC it got.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I agree, this is the biggest post-launch support I've seen so far, I'm very happy that it's for FFXV as well, I would say the post-launch support of Super Smash Brothers. for Wii U and 3DS comes close second to it, due to the DLC it got.

I'd say NMS right now has some of the biggest support but obviously because they actually needed to fix their game (it's pretty good now and they are still updating).

On FFXV, I'm just very excited for things to come. I'm sure we wont hear anything about Ep. Ardyn until it's practically ready, or any other DLC at this point. The royal update is a very nice surprise, and I can't wait to see what else they are planning

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
So apparently these are the patch notes for the upcoming update:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3999022/

Update contents

- It corresponds to the new DLC FFXV ROYAL pack.
- Character illustration was added.
- Awarded works of the 4th snapshot contest were exhibited at restaurants in Gardena Watchingfield.
- A new quest was added to CHAPTER10.
- Various defects were corrected.
Some speculate it could be for February though, given how different this is from the initial description of the Jaunary patch. We'll find out soon probably.

FFChocobo18

Keyblade Master
Jan 9, 2017
So apparently these are the patch notes for the upcoming update:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3999022/

Some speculate it could be for February though, given how different this is from the initial description of the Jaunary patch. We'll find out soon probably.
New quest in Chapter 10? Huh, weird and interesting... If this is in the February update after this patch, that would be interesting, but not much to base off from, perhaps a playable section in Cartanica?

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
New quest in Chapter 10? Huh, weird and interesting... If this is in the February update after this patch, that would be interesting, but not much to base off from, perhaps a playable section in Cartanica?

To be honest, it has to mean we are getting some form of an expansion there, be it story and/or environment. There are only 2 places you go in Chapter 10, the train station and the dungeon. The dungeon is linear, so there is no room for an extra mission there, and the station is...a station lol. It is pretty possible that they may have made Cartanica explorable to some degree. Unless they expanded the dungeon but I just don't see how.

On that note. I got a response on reddit from r/FFXV's mod after he deleted my post for relaying this info on Reddit:
scissorman[M] 1 point 7 minutes ago
"As they have removed this information, whilst we've actually archived the original page we are choosing to wait until it is publicly released to prevent potential confusion and/or misinformation.
This is purely due to the fact that the 1.21 update information was added early, with an incorrect date and that the JP patch notes for the next one has been not only amended, but removed completely."

It seems that the Japanese website likely uploaded the wrong patchnotes, due to the timing confusion. This is 100% in fact happening, but likely right before the Royal Update DLC hits.

Last edited: