Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I remember Tabata mentioning a currently secret future addition to the game a while back. He made it sound really substantial and important so I wonder what it is to be considered so special. You mentioning WoR just now makes me wonder if it really is just that or if it's some other big story related thing. I guess time will tell unless he was just referring to the Royal Edition. I really hope we get the road map soon after the Royal edition though.

I think its still something unannounced. He talked about it like it also was a gameplay feature/addition as well. I personally think that when it does get revealed, they will advertise it as "A NEVER BEFORE SEEN FEATURE FOR THE GAME!!!!!!" and Tabata himself would confirm that this was it.

Solid Sora

Red Wings Commander
Feb 11, 2015
Egypt
It was always weird for me that they choose chapter 14 to substantially update. That's like, the most well-liked chapter in the game. The one most will agree is actually satisfying and well realized. I'm not complaining, but I think they should've beefed up the story in the first half of the game. That's the part I feel is the weakest in the game so far. The first half seriously lacks story. It needs more cutscenes, more flashbacks, more interactions with Luna through the notebook, more Regis stuff.

I hope we get something that resembles that down the line.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
It was always weird for me that they choose chapter 14 to substantially update. That's like, the most well-liked chapter in the game. The one most will agree is actually satisfying and well realized. I'm not complaining, but I think they should've beefed up the story in the first half of the game. That's the part I feel is the weakest in the game so far. The first half seriously lacks story. It needs more cutscenes, more flashbacks, more interactions with Luna through the notebook, more Regis stuff.
If I recall correctly, either the March update or the Royal Pack are said to add some new dialogue to Chapters 5 and 9, but I don't remember the exact page this was on, but that memory is a little vague, and as for Chapter 14, it felt a little underwhelming for me, I did like the ending though, that's one of the best moments of this game I loved, I'll say a few things it missed it's mark for me, and an End-Game/Final Battle is as important as the story to me, the citadel was too easy to get into, and not enough mandatory bosses, those are just some examples, but with the Royal Pack DLC, they seem to be improving that, along with other examples that I have withheld, but yeah, Chapter 14 is one of my favorite chapters in this game, I'm just saying it was a little underwhelming for me, and I think there's room for improvement for the first half. My weakest point for me was the second half in terms of story, but I will say the first half's execution isn't too bright, either, I would like some improvement there, but I'm aiming little more towards the second half, but I do acknowledge the first half's flaws.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland

i remember tabata saying in one interview that many ppl stopped playing at around chapter 14, and that he wanted to make something to the players that didn't clear the game as well (i'll try to find the interview).

but i totally agree with the first half being the weakest part, the presentation is kind of a mess.

Feb 19, 2018
I think its still something unannounced. He talked about it like it also was a gameplay feature/addition as well. I personally think that when it does get revealed, they will advertise it as "A NEVER BEFORE SEEN FEATURE FOR THE GAME!!!!!!" and Tabata himself would confirm that this was it.
Fair point, I guess we can only wait at this point as we have very little to go off of regarding the rest of the year following the Royal Edition.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016

I think they chose it, because like @Storm said, they wanted to push more people to beat the game and complete the story. I feel like that is step one for them.

Aside from that, I think the next step is actually improving the meat of the story itself, which is just about every other chapter. I definitely hope they go back and work on Lucis (Prologue, Chapters 1-7) for the beginning and beefing up a partially barebones first half, Accordo (8-9) for that major transition into the second half and a new region and Niflheim (10-13) most importantly as the climax before the climax (we need more areas here to explore and more set pieces, even if its linear).

Again, its a question of it being paid or free, but I'd like to think these are the 3 areas they could focus on in terms of affecting the main story. Like Niflheim -> Lucis -> Accordo should be their priority in terms of updating them, but that is personal preference.

I am actually super happy about the Royal update though, I was actually one of those people that didn't finish the game immediately (other things prompted that however) due to the lack of content towards the end. I can't wait to actually have a fulfilling endgame storywise (Fighting the kings of yore already makes that a dream come true and some of the leaks have skyrocketted that hope)

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
i remember tabata saying in one interview that many ppl stopped playing at around chapter 14, and that he wanted to make something to the players that didn't clear the game as well (i'll try to find the interview).

but i totally agree with the first half being the weakest part, the presentation is kind of a mess.
I agree, as much as I thought the first half was solid, I did feel flaws there, and there was supposed to be a bachelor party for Noctis in Chapter 1 at Gauldin Quay, but that was cut, I think that could've been cool to see, for example. I can see further improvements to the first half as well.

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s VR. He mentioned a second VR project. And I seem to remember the words he used made it sound like something that enabled you to experience the game in a different way. Plus it would make sense that they released MotD as practice for something they wanted to implement in the full game. That’s what they ended up doing with the Episodes too.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s VR. He mentioned a second VR project. And I seem to remember the words he used made it sound like something that enabled you to experience the game in a different way. Plus it would make sense that they released MotD as practice for something they wanted to implement in the full game. That’s what they ended up doing with the Episodes too.
I've been thinking that too, especially with the first person mode.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
yeah, thats what I'm thinking. I just hope is has no effect on the actual, real development of fixing the story. If it is this, then that means less time was spent on fixing the actual game. Hopefully we all get what we want in the end.

The Royal Update is a good first step but the game needs a lot more. I am grateful they stuck around though. Even if all future, significant content is paid, they could have let this game bite the dust months ago.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
yeah, thats what I'm thinking. I just hope is has no effect on the actual, real development of fixing the story. If it is this, then that means less time was spent on fixing the actual game. Hopefully we all get what we want in the end.

The Royal Update is a good first step but the game needs a lot more. I am grateful they stuck around though. Even if all future, significant content is paid, they could have let this game bite the dust months ago.
Yeah, and I'm glad they are trying their best to improve FFXV, and that's what matters to me the most of all this, as I've never seen a game with a post-launch structure as big as this.

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017

This. One of FFXV biggest missteps when it comes to storytelling is payoff without setup, hence why I feel it's the first chapters the ones that need to be beefed up in that aspect. Expanded Insomnia in ruins is nice but without ever being able to explore it before the invasion the payoff just isn't there. Adding Luna scenes after her death is alright I guess, but if they never delve into her before the events of chapter 9, then all the scenes after-the-fact feel unearned and a bit like emotional manipulation. The same can be said about Regis. People here are suggesting they include flashback scenes of him late into the game, but like Luna, that would be too late in terms of the story timeline. If they want to expand on the Noctis-Regis relation, then they have to properly set it up before Insomnia falls, so we can actually understand and feel what Noctis loses in that moment (hence why I feel the best addition they can add story-wise is a prologue in Insomnia). Proper setup, proper pay off.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
This. One of FFXV biggest missteps when it comes to storytelling is payoff without setup, hence why I feel it's the first chapters the ones that need to be beefed up in that aspect. Expanded Insomnia in ruins is nice but without ever being able to explore it before the invasion the payoff just isn't there. Adding Luna scenes after her death is alright I guess, but if they never delve into her before the events of chapter 9, then all the scenes after-the-fact feel unearned and a bit like emotional manipulation. The same can be said about Regis. People here are suggesting they include flashback scenes of him late into the game, but like Luna, that would be too late in terms of the story timeline. If they want to expand on the Noctis-Regis relation, then they have to properly set it up before Insomnia falls, so we can actually understand and feel what Noctis loses in that moment (hence why I feel the best addition they can add story-wise is a prologue in Insomnia). Proper setup, proper pay off.

Like @Storm and I said before, its most likely because the first thing they wanted to address was the issue of people not beating the game. Whats the use of updating the main story of the game if the ending doesn't cut it anymore as a result? With the Royal Edition, it gives people a BIG reason to come back and at least beat it. Plus, many people wanted more Insomnia, the easiest way to do that is to expand an existing region. With this, now they probably have enough assets to make a Prologue or something with it.

That is step 1 IMO as well.

Step 2 should now be going back and improving specific parts of the game (Prologue, Lucis, Accodo, Niflheim) as you are saying.

I 100% agree on your other points though. Regis needs stuff before Chapter 1 or some other form of update. Luna honestly to me needs gameplay sections with actively performing the rites to the 3 of the Hexatheon. It's been hinted that she actually forged covenant with Ramuh to earn his trust for Noctis at Angelgard (Gentiana says something about this in Comrades when you fight Bahamut) and that could mean a fight if they wanted it to be.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
One of FFXV biggest missteps when it comes to storytelling is payoff without setup, hence why I feel it's the first chapters the ones that need to be beefed up in that aspect.
Since that's what Brotherhood and Kingsglaive are for... But I agree it's needed in the main game, as there's an unpleasant disconnect between what the film and anime describe and how the characters behave or reminisce. It feels...off, like there was no communication between teams.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Since that's what Brotherhood and Kingsglaive are for... But I agree it's needed in the main game, as there's an unpleasant disconnect between what the film and anime describe and how the characters behave or reminisce. It feels...off, like there was no communication between teams.
Could you give some examples? Cause I can't think of anything in particular.

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
It is clear by now that Kingsglaive was setting up a story that was quite different from what FFXV ended up being, hence the lack of continuity (e.g. coughing smoke when using the Ring of the Lucii -probably a remnant of VSXIII's death worship storyline- or Luna's role as an oracle being a non-factor in the movie because they evidently came up with that idea late into the game's development), so the idea that the expanded universe is a proper setup for the game is eyeroll-worhty at this point.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
the problem of the first chapters imo, is the tonal dissonancy and the fact a big event like the invasion of insomnia is not reflected well in the world (things like the lack of refugees, or lack of npc talk about that event).

i also think there should be more mourning scenes with Noctis, it seems the game go back to the "happy road trip with friends" too fast.
It is clear by now that Kingsglaive was setting up a story that was quite different from what FFXV ended up being, hence the lack of continuity (e.g. coughing smoke when using the Ring of the Lucii -probably a remnant of VSXIII's death worship storyline- or Luna's role as an oracle being a non-factor in the movie because they evidently came up with that idea late into the game's development), so the idea that the expanded universe is a proper setup for the game is eyeroll-worhty at this point.
those two are only exceptions (coughing smoke is minor), everything else is in line with the game's storyline; there's no direct contradiction as far as i know, i only watched it one time tho.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Could you give some examples? Cause I can't think of anything in particular.

Firstly is probably just development decisions and design of each. Brotherhood has no english dub, so that right there takes you out of that if you ever plan to watch it (not saying the Japanese dub is bad, but it sucks that they never dubbed it). Also, being an anime, not everyone is into that. The stories here are crucial to how the main characters relate to each other, yet they are told through an anime. They could have benefited from being told as individual flashbacks while you do the Camp tours with the bros, or as a prologue, as well as being able to actually hunt the monster that Noctis was hurt by. Then there's Kingsglaive, another monster. So many things work in connectivity but then there are other odd things that don't. Different voice actors for Ravus, Luna, and Regis, as well as differing designs for Luna and Ravus over their game counterparts. Ravus's motivations....are odd to say the least. In the movie, its about revenge against Lucis for Tenebrae and his mother, but in the game its about protecting his sister. The game unfortunately makes no mention of this after. Disconnect also comes in the form of Glauca. He did so many bad things, is actually a person that knew Noct for many years, yet is not mentioned at all in the main game for all the bad things he did. This is also the game's fault, not just the movie's.

It would be nice if a DLC could just adapt both to their proper forms, with Brotherhood being cutscenes or small gameplay segments and Kingsglaive focusing on Regis, Nyx and Luna, with gameplay elements for each. On the flipside, the main game needs more connections to both, either in dialogue or gameplay.

I'd pay 20 bucks for something like that. The Universe only became a thing because they didn't have time to complete the game like they would have wanted to.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
the problem of the first chapters imo, is the tonal dissonancy and the fact a big event like the invasion of insomnia is not reflected well in the world (things like the lack of refugees, or lack of npc talk about that event).

i also think there should be more mourning scenes with Noctis, it seems the game go back to the "happy road trip with friends" too fast.

This would honestly be so worth it if they could rework a prologue where everything is calm and nice in urban Insomnia. Then that leads you to being a fish out of water in Chapter 1 (empty, war torn land). Chapter 2-3 should have had more scenes on Niflheim and Noctis grieving over his father, same with Gladio and the rest dealing with it in their own ways.

I REALLY hope that this is on their radar. They improved the back end of the game it seems, now do the beginning and middle.

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017

those two are only exceptions, everything else is in line with the game's storyline; there's no direct contradiction.
There should be no exceptions in proper setup. And I can keep giving examples. Clarus' gets killed protecting Regis and yet it's never addressed in the game: Iris prefers to go on a date with Noctis instead of talking with her brother about the family they just lost. The Empire is set up as this massive antagonist to the story, and then they are almost a non issue during the game. We are supposed to believe there's this great war going on between Lucis and Niflheim and that the fall of Insomnia is a significant event, and yet in the game people go on quite happily with their lives (including Noctis), sending you on missions to catch frogs and take pics or go fishing. The dissonance between the movie and game is huge. This coming from someone who really wants the final version of XV to be a better game than it is now.