Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
just done the trial of the week and it seems you unlock additional info on the bestiary (for the respective monster) if you complete them; will confirm with the next trial.
Do you mean the timed quests? If so, I'll jump back on the game to unlock some stuff in my down time.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
If there actually ends
You're completely right about the comparison, but the comparison doesn't make you feel much better about ffxv' situation regardless. I've always held FF to a high standard. We should still hold it to the high standard, and of course keep toxicity to a minimum.
If only the jaded side of the fandom actually understood this.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
http://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-xv-hajime-tabata-interview/

(just the most interesting questions)

"J: The character creation for the Beta of the Comrades expansion was more impressive than we imagined. Is there any possibility it will be available in single player?

HT: The avatar creation system in the multiplayer expansion–we don’t have any plans to bring that into the main game of the single player campaign. But we do have that same avatar creation system in the VR title, Monster of the Deep.

J: Can you explain that decision? Why would you not bring it over to single player?

HT: I think – simply put – it’s because the story is about the four protagonists, so from that standpoint it doesn’t make sense to put in a different character in there.

J: There are some that feel that stretching Final Fantasy XV across all these markets may be diluting the core experience. What would you say to people who have that concern?

HT: It’s actually a very important point to bring up. [Laughs] From a strategy point, there is actually two lines of thinking for us. One is how we direct our messaging to players who did play Final Fantasy XV and are continuing to follow everything we’re doing. And another line of messaging to everyone who has yet to tap into Final Fantasy XV and the different things we are doing. So we have two different strategies in mind.

To people who have been following Final Fantasy XV, it may just look like we are spreading out and, like you said, the main experience is being diluted. That we understand, and we see that kind of impression., so we know that’s up to us to determine and make a clear statement to existing fans, and make sure that we have a plan for people who have been following Final Fantasy XV. We also need a clear message for people who have yet to get involved or invested in Final Fantasy XV experience, and the reason for doing all the outside media expansionary projects. So we know that it is something we need to make clear in the near future.

For the existing Final Fantasy XV players and fans, our message is that “Anything they felt was lacking or missing, or they want to see more of in terms of story, that is where we are going to be putting most of our emphasis moving forward in terms of development.”

my stance on this is, i don't care pandering to casual audiences as long as the game comes in a great state (meaning, in a state that doesn't feel something is unfinished or lacking); the main priority should always be the main game and satisfying the fanbase that is waiting long years to play the game and really cares about it's content.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I think its best to wait and reassess the game after Comrades releases. It is deemed an expansion, not just a DLC, which means that it likely has a decent amount of content to A) Extend the life of a multiplayer based section of the game and B) To tell the story of what happened during the 10 year timeskip. We already know there will be a decent amount of something there. Who knows how much of our story wishlist gets added here. But yea, I agree that that the expanded universe stuff has gotten a little silly at this point. They could have put so much more resources to adding to the game instead.
But i'm gonna wait and see how these last 2 DLC's affect the games content before I complain about that.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
http://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-xv-hajime-tabata-interview/

For the existing Final Fantasy XV players and fans, our message is that “Anything they felt was lacking or missing, or they want to see more of in terms of story, that is where we are going to be putting most of our emphasis moving forward in terms of development
.”
I would love to get excited but I think I'm going to wait and see like @Paperchampion23 said.

I don't know if he's referring to the already confirmed Ardyn game? dlc? or if he's talking about content beyond that.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
probably just referring to character's episodes + whatever story comrades will bring.

edit:
https://www.jeuxvideo-live.com/news/final-fantasy-xv-notre-interview-dhajime-tabata-86448

JVL: You do not think it's because FFXV was too big a project to start with just one game?

Tabata: Hmm, it's probably true. From the way we see things, it's really thanks to the fans that we can do that, they really helped us as developers, so we really want to thank them. On the other hand, if we do not put limits where we can, we run the risk of over-exploiting it, but we really want to learn more about what players want, and we will do it for our next project. If I could duplicate myself, there would be a version of me that would always update FFXV and make it consistently better, and my other version would use all that knowledge to make a new game, but unfortunately it's not like how it works [laughs].

clone him!

other than that, nothing new in the interview, they'll only decide what's next after dealing with episode ignis it seems.

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
He's got his heart in the right place regardless of what one thinks of the game itself.

He's restricted by what upper management impose on him after all.

Anyway something came to mind. Since episode Ardyn has been confirmed, why are they continuing to learn more about what the players want?

This signals that there is going to be something after episode Ignis if they're still in the research phase, so perhaps it's not so unreasonable to expect updates and whatnot in 2018.

Still, expectations will need to be tempered regardless.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
There will be more updates in 2018, at least i'm certain of it. Its probably more of plans not being finalized yet until the current feedback stuff is done.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
probably just referring to character's episodes + whatever story comrades will bring.
Additional cutscenes in the base game would be nice too, Tabata did mention wishing too add scenes to give more insight on character motivations such as Ravus in the Roadmap update announcement.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
It seems more like the higher ups are preventing Tabata from announcing specific details for new content coming after Episode Ignis, which is why Tabata is dancing around questions relating to that.

It's just like months ago where he would dance around people mentioning an FFXV PC port, there are probably certain embargo dates or internally set periods of time where they can officially start talking about certain things.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Also likely, December-onwards should prove should very interesting moving forward.

Btw, nothing news related but i felt like comparing these two shots of Noctis' CGI 2013 model to his current in-game one here:

20170907_123548.jpg

I must say, we've certainly come a long way.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xvs-wild-secret-dungeon-was-designed-by-o-1802126474

"If, like me, your favorite part of Final Fantasy XV was the mind-boggling Pitioss Ruins, here is a fun fact: It was designed by one person, according to director Hajime Tabata.

Speaking with me in Seattle at PAX West last weekend, Tabata said he was surprised when I told him that I loved the Pitioss Ruins, a puzzle-platforming dungeon that feels like nothing else in Final Fantasy XV. “You’re a little bit different from others for liking that dungeon,” he said, speaking through a translator. Then he laughed. “I couldn’t clear it.

To design the Pitioss Ruins—which was originally intended to be a more standard endgame dungeon—Tabata recruited an artist named Nakamura, who had previously worked on textures for Final Fantasy XV. “The way he thinks is just so unique, that he has his own world, so to speak,” Tabata said. “We felt like that final dungeon would be great if it was something unexpected... And so we allowed that guy to run free with his ideas and create the dungeon as he liked.”

To illustrate the depths of Nakamura’s bizarre creativity, Tabata explained that when they were originally brainstorming concepts for the summon Ramuh, Nakamura had a unique suggestion. First you’d see a set of clouds, and then they’d break open, and Ramuh’s face would start descending from the sky and make its way toward you. “We weren’t sure how he’d end up attacking, if that’s how he appeared,” Tabata said. “Ultimately we didn’t go with that idea, obviously, and we have Ramuh as he is now. But that’s how extreme [Nakamura’s] creativity was.”

While playing through the Pitioss Ruins, which is only accessible once you’ve completed the game, you have to execute precise platforming jumps and solve some difficult puzzles. There’s no combat, and in fact your three party members stay outside while you go through the dungeon. Noctis has to handle it all by himself, which makes for some beautiful moments as you jump through darkness and dodge dangerous obstacles that can’t be found anywhere else in the game. Not everyone loves it—Final Fantasy XV’s controls were not exactly designed for platforming—but I found it incredible.

At one point, however, Tabata and his team almost made it normal. “There were discussions about aligning the direction of the dungeon with some of the others in the game,” he said. “That said, when you really think back on Final Fantasy, it’s never been measured by one angle or one direction, so to speak. There’s been a variety of approaches and methods. And that’s how the creators have always worked together to develop the series. And so ultimately they just decided that this may be another kind of offering within the game itself. And it just might be alright.”

When I asked, Tabata shot down that one bonkers theory about Pitioss Ruins’ story, adding that there are aspects of Final Fantasy XV’s background lore that will be explained in future downloadable content. He was amused when I told him they should add more platformer dungeons to the game. “I’m relieved to hear that you liked the dungeon,” Tabata said.

wow give this nakamura guy a promotion asap.

also more background lore incoming

Last edited:

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Also likely, December-onwards should prove should very interesting moving forward.

Btw, nothing news related but i felt like comparing these two shots of Noctis' CGI 2013 model to his current in-game one here:

View attachment 788

I must say, we've certainly come a long way.
Interestingly enough they still use the left side CG render in the game menu.