Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
FFXV has now sold 7.7 million worldwide. As stated on SE's Japanese product info page for it.
https://jp.finalfantasy.com/news/2000

That makes it keep it's current trajectory of being the fastest selling FF, with it reaching 7.7m sales much faster than any other FF did, and in terms of total sales it's currently the 4th highest selling FF worldwide, with FFVII at 11m, FFVIII at around 8.8m and FFX at around 8m currently being the only ones ahead of it.

By this time next year XV will defninitely have crossed the 8 million milestone, and will probably be around FFVIII's total sales if not above it.

Feb 19, 2018
Man it just goes to show how much of an info drought there is right now that we all got this hyped over sales figures lmao, but still that's good news. The fact that FFXV is still going strong in sales after nearly 2 years since its release means that Square will see it as a worthwhile endeavor to keep supporting the game and will provide decent support and funding for the second wave of content. I'm excited to see what they put out since the game is in such a good place financially speaking. Also genuinely curious to see if FFXV will ever come close to dethroning the king of sales that is FFVII at the rate it's going right now or what kind of numbers the Remake will do when it releases 3 centuries from now.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Doing some research the earliest sales point for FFVIII states that it sold 6 million which at the end of December 1999, meaning it sold 6 million in 11 months, 1 million of which it did in the US, and that same press release stated that FFVIII was the fastest selling FF, meaning it also sold 6 million faster than FFVII did within those 11 months from release. https://web.archive.org/web/20080421065602/http://www.gamasutra.com/newswire/news/index19991206.htm

In 11 months FFXV had already reached around 6.6 million, making it the new fastest selling FF. XV also had the highest sales for any FF in the US, at about 1.8-1.9 million just for it's launch through to December 2016 period alone, which NPD cited was the highest selling FF in the US too.

It's much harder to find data during the late 90s and early 00s, but the next earliest point I count find was a financial report from March 2003, which for pretty much all the mainline FFs listed is well over 2 years after each of their releases.
www.jp.square-enix.com/ir/e/explanatory/download/0404-200402090000-01.pdf#page=27

By 2003 FFVII had sold 9.3m (6 years after release), FFVIII had sold 8.1m (4 years after release), FFIX had sold 5m (3 years after release), FFX had sold 5.8m (2 years after release) and FFX-2 had sold 2m just a few weeks after release.
For pre VII FFs by 2003 FFI had 1.9m, FFII had 1.2m, FFIII had 1.4m, FFIV had 2.1m, FFV had 2.6m and FFVI had 3.4m, and that's across all releases, and that's almost 10 years from release for VI and over a decade for all of the others.

As for FFXII, that only sold 6m total on PS2 by November 2009, and XIII didn't hit 6.6m until 2013, 3 years after each of those had released.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150505005802/http://gendai.ismedia.jp/articles/print/54
https://web.archive.org/web/2013082...y-xiiis-creators-justify-a-third-game-in-a-se
That's really interesting!

It seems like it's entirely possible that XV could half the time that VIII took to get to 8.1, given that it's at 7.7 now and there's still close to four months remaining until XV's anniversary. Beating VII to 9.3 million seems necessary if Tabby is to reach his 10 million goal at any point.

In the long run, XV will probably end closer to VII than anything else, which is pretty impressive!

NoxFleuret

Chocobo Knight
Feb 17, 2018
...aren't daytime Insomnia and all the kings present in FFXV, too? They might not appear the way one wants them to, but one can't say they aren't there. =P
Complaints about wanting pre-shit hitting the fan Insomnia have been a constant thing for months. Same as the lack of the other kings present in stuff.

I have to admit, this is going to be a sit back and grab some popcorn sort of day at this rate. This, and nothing for XV officially stated at Gamescom is going to set a few people off.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Unless they have anything for Pax/TGS, there could be a possibility of further delays ti'll Fall/Winter (i could be wrong however).

Last edited:

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Since KH3 is the next big AAA SE Japan game getting it's full media blitz and all that, and will through to January, that's probably why they aren't focussing on XV DLC stuff at gaming events. We at least have a roadmap so we know when to expect the DLC episodes so it's not like we're completely in the dark regarding it. I think at the very least we'll hear about the Tomb Raider crossover stuff closer to its release in September, and Comrades stuff probably around the same time when the Level editor mod tools arrive.

In a way I'm kinda glad we're going through a quiet period, because if it was nothing but XV content happening all the time during this year with a constant presence I can see people throwing shitfits over it "being shoved in our throats" or whatever, this way it gives it some time to breathe and also gives the devs more room to make stuff for the DLC itself without having to constantly throw together a bunch of trailers with whatever finished stuff they got laying around just to appease people. Either way at least it's not as bad as Nomura's multiple year long info droughts with no idea when to expect anything.

I think when we're about 1 or 2 months away from Ep Ardyn is when we'll first see it, so probably around Jump Festa in December is my rough guess.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Meh, at this point anything shown that wasn't in FFXV is just whatever. It would have been nice to have an explorable pre-invasion Insomnia but the whole beginning would have had to be different ( Like getting rid of that pointless Ifrit intro). It would have been amazing if FFXV had something like/added what KH2 did with the Cavern of Remembrance; have all 13 Kings fightable. Then again I'm not sure how repetitive it would be, KH2 had better fight gimmicks.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Meh, at this point anything shown that wasn't in FFXV is just whatever. It would have been nice to have an explorable pre-invasion Insomnia but the whole beginning would have had to be different ( Like getting rid of that pointless Ifrit intro). It would have been amazing if FFXV had something like/added what KH2 did with the Cavern of Remembrance; have all 13 Kings fightable. Then again I'm not sure how repetitive it would be, KH2 had better fight gimmicks.
dont really need to change the beginning that much, just add an explorable sequence before they depart (where you can talk to npcs, gather your stuff for the trip) based on Parting Ways.

or a gameplay sequence with Nyx / flashback thing with Regis

they could make it if they wanted

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
dont really need to change the beginning that much, just add an explorable sequence before they depart (where you can talk to npcs, gather your stuff for the trip) based on Parting Ways.

or a gameplay sequence with Nyx / flashback thing with Regis

they could make it if they wanted
You have a point and if the team was bigger or if it was included in the Royal update I could see that happen. Yet the majority of the team that was working on FFXV, from what I read, has been moved to either Luminous Studios or FFVII Remake. Seeing on what the reduced team has done so far with animating and rendering scenes you can see the quality drop. A good example is the Comrades Ifrit fight intro, it's really choppy. At this point because it's been out for two years and because they are just adding a storyline the fans never wanted ( Uncle Ardyn happy alternate timeline) I kind of wish they would just leave FFXV alone. Despite fans asking for more explorable areas (Insomnia, The whole other continent), a story that actually fleshed out Regis, Ravus, and Luna in game (Not separate DLC) I highly doubt they'll give that to us. I think the only reason why we are even getting more FFXV DLC is to fill in the gap of time before FFVII's release date.

NoxFleuret

Chocobo Knight
Feb 17, 2018
Mmh Ardyn in coming as next character?
Dissidia Reddit's been doing datamining. They had mentioned the XV stage prior, as well as Rinoa before her announcement.

As far as I'm aware, and have seen, there's been absolutely nothing for Ardyn located so far as a character. Other characters have had award text found, but so far no other XV character.

It's been the same for Opera Omnia, only Noctis by himself out of the lot.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
You have a point and if the team was bigger or if it was included in the Royal update I could see that happen. Yet the majority of the team that was working on FFXV, from what I read, has been moved to either Luminous Studios or FFVII Remake. Seeing on what the reduced team has done so far with animating and rendering scenes you can see the quality drop. A good example is the Comrades Ifrit fight intro, it's really choppy. At this point because it's been out for two years and because they are just adding a storyline the fans never wanted ( Uncle Ardyn happy alternate timeline) I kind of wish they would just leave FFXV alone. Despite fans asking for more explorable areas (Insomnia, The whole other continent), a story that actually fleshed out Regis, Ravus, and Luna in game (Not separate DLC) I highly doubt they'll give that to us. I think the only reason why we are even getting more FFXV DLC is to fill in the gap of time before FFVII's release date.
well the area is relatively done, i would be ok with just the citadel / palace cleaned up and explorable with npcs to talk.

i can see this happening with the level editor if they let us edit any area in the game

Feb 19, 2018
Dissidia Reddit's been doing datamining. They had mentioned the XV stage prior, as well as Rinoa before her announcement.

As far as I'm aware, and have seen, there's been absolutely nothing for Ardyn located so far as a character. Other characters have had award text found, but so far no other XV character.

It's been the same for Opera Omnia, only Noctis by himself out of the lot.
Calling it now that the next FFXV Dissidia character (if there is one) will most definitely be Aranea because she's the only other character the devs have mentioned from XV by name, calling her one of their favorite characters. Ardyn just doesn't seem likely to me at this point for the same reason we're never getting Zack from FFVII. Though maybe we'll get Ravus as a surprise since he kinda fits the villain criteria up until Altissia and has had a decent amount of screen time at this point as well as a unique moveset.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Calling it now that the next FFXV Dissidia character (if there is one) will most definitely be Aranea because she's the only other character the devs have mentioned from XV by name, calling her one of their favorite characters. Ardyn just doesn't seem likely to me at this point for the same reason we're never getting Zack from FFVII. Though maybe we'll get Ravus as a surprise since he kinda fits the villain criteria up until Altissia and has had a decent amount of screen time at this point as well as a unique moveset.
The datamine includes Zack. www.reddit.com/r/dissidia/comments/901vvb/megathread_july_1719s_datamine/
Zack will likely be in the next season pass.
Edit: I doubt they would choose Aranea over Ravus or Ardyn. It would be funny it was Ravus because he would actually be a focal point unlike how he was in FFXV.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
The datamine includes Zack. www.reddit.com/r/dissidia/comments/901vvb/megathread_july_1719s_datamine/
Zack will likely be in the next season pass.
Edit: I doubt they would choose Aranea over Ravus or Ardyn. It would be funny it was Ravus because he would actually be a focal point unlike how he was in FFXV.
Oh wow didn't know about Zack. That's interesting though since he'll pretty much play exactly like Cloud. I'm wondering he's just a skin like how Injustice 2 handles skins for characters with similar powers. If that's the case I could definitely see an Ardyn skin for Noctis.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Oh wow didn't know about Zack. That's interesting though since he'll pretty much play exactly like Cloud. I'm wondering he's just a skin like how Injustice 2 handles skins for characters with similar powers. If that's the case I could definitely see an Ardyn skin for Noctis.
I'm sure that Square wouldn't waste a slot if characters were just a reskin, they aren't like Capcom. If you think about it Golbez, Exdeath, Kefka, Ultimecia, and Kuja have maybe one or two unique spells/ moves in their respective games and just use -aga tier spells. Yet Square was able to make them all have gimmicks. If they include Ardyn in Dissidia his moveset might be based around the Starscourge or barraging players with the Royal Arms. Zack will probably have a moveset that was featured in Crisis Core. Remember, technically Zack used the Buster sword sparingly to prevent wear and tear.