Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
May 15, 2018
The original plan for FF7 was to be set in actual New York City in 1999, and the MC was a hot blooded detective named Joe before they created the character of Cloud, Edea from FF8 was originally created for FF7, then later Sephiroth and Aerith were at one point going to be siblings which Nomura noted is why they had similar hair bangs, originally the party was only going to be Cloud, Aerith and Barret, etc.
There`s a distinction between a whole written story with set characters, rendered models, a worldmap, cutscenes etc. and a "pitch". We`re stil gettng the datamined snippets of the game that didnt come, I mean, for real.......

May 15, 2018
Something nobody seems to have picked up on that could be interesting. Does anyone think it was strange that there were like barely any notable characters from Accordo/Altissia, the place plays an important role in the story and it even showed up in the 2013 XV trailer as on of the big setpieces advertised. I think it's pretty much just the Secretary Claustra lady and that's it, Weskham doesn't really count because he's from Lucis.

I mean sure, Tenebrae and Niflheim barely show up in the actual game either compared to Altissia, which unlike them is an actual town, but those nations and their respective characters play more of a role in the story overall. Accordo in hindsight was more of a backdrop. We know originally there were 4 crystals in the world before they rewrote that and reduced them down to just the Lucian one, so I would've thought if Accordo had it's own crystal once it might have been more significant instead of being just a neutral trading city with no royalty or nobility in charge.

Now here's the interesting part. I wondered about that cut Niflheim Commander guy that seemed to have been merged with Ravus, Sapphirus/Safay Roth I think his name was? Well his clothes were mostly the standard Imperial white but there's also a fair amount of blue, red and gold on his outfit too, which seem to be the colors of Accordo, and Altissia is based on Venice, he even looks kind of Italian imo? He might have been what Ravus became, in that Altissia was occupied by the Empire and he joined the military but was an outsider and wanted to prove himself, maybe he was Altissian nobility? But again, too many characters and Ravus already has a small role in the base game so I can understand why they removed this guy if that's the case.

View attachment 1174

Concept art of Altissia with the red, blue and gold flags for reference. Also the name Sapphirus basically means a deep blue in Latin. And is also very close to a naval blue.

View attachment 1176

Small details but worth mentioning imo. Since Sapphirus was always such a mysterious character. I don't think he would've necessarily been extremely important to the story had he been included, they probably thought there were already too many Imperials running around and felt that Ravus could've taken his place.
Accordo DID have it`s own crystal:

1:47

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
There`s a distinction between a whole written story with set characters, rendered models, a worldmap, cutscenes etc. and a "pitch". We`re stil gettng the datamined snippets of the game that didnt come, I mean, for real.......
I'm not talking about a pitch, designs for FF7 were made, entire characters were cut and moved to other FFs, the story had multiple revisions and there was far more change from the old FF7 to the final FF7, especially narrative and character wise than there was for anything from Versus to XV. Most of the "unused" Versus shit still left in the game is just leftover texture or asset data from the Ebony build because it was made in Ebony before it was ported over to Luminous, as Aramaki stated they merged Ebony into Luminous when they migrated to the engine, the 2010/2011 Versus stuff was made in Ebony as was the 2012/2013 XV prototype build prior to them starting to move to Luminous around July 2013.

- Tetsuya Nomura

Once FFVII's production was given to Kitase, he and Nomura rethought the plot from scratch. Nojima was still working on Bahamut Lagoon at the time.

Nomura wanted to have one of either Tifa or Aerith die.

Tifa actually wasn't in the game initially. Aerith was the sole heroine, but Tifa was added later.

Instead of his final spiky hair, Cloud was originally designed so that his hair was slicked back. This was to reduce polygon use. Aerith's one piece was also the result of polygon considerations.

The original character setting had Aerith and Sephiroth as brother and sister. The effect of this setting can still be seen in the designs of their front hair. Later, they changed the setting so that Sephiroth was Aerith's first love. That eventually resulted in Zack.
https://andriasang.com/con11g/ffvii15/

There is more change there in that sentence alone about what Aerith and Sephiroth's relationship was stated to be, than there even was for changes from what we knew of Stella to Luna for example. Aerith went from being Sephiroth's sister to later being changed so that Sephiroth was her first love, to later dropping that entirely and the character of Zack created to be her first love instead, that's three completely different shifts in what would be a character dynamic and important relationship for who was at the time one of the only 3 party members in the entire game.

What did we know about Stella? She was a noble women from Tenebrae, she's a Nox Fleuret, she wore white, had blonde hair, Nomura only ever described her as being "someone nice who sticks to her beliefs", Nomura in 2008 stated that the first time Noctis and Stella ever met was the at the peace treaty party, she has a rapier and stood in a street once opposed to Noctis, she mentions she had a near death experience as a child in the 2009 trailer, and then in the 2011 trailer that she wants to know if there is a reason for why she can see the light. Fast forward to 2013 and suddenly Stella is now childhood friends with Noctis like Luna is, and most things regarding Stella already also apply to Luna too anyway including her child design, and Luna herself just being modified from 2013 Stella's design.

That's literally it. Like not even Ravus/Lupus being Stella's brother was even confirmed or suggested to have been a thing for Stella until Ferrari's storyboards from May 2013 surfaced in Mid 2017 showed them interacting, and even then just months prior to the games launch it wasn't even widely assumed that Ravus aka the white hooded man at the time would have been her brother until his name was confirmed as a Nox Fleuret in mid 2016, which is all the same as him being Luna's brother anyway, and in fact Ravus/Lupus whatever being Stella's brother prior to her becoming Luna only made it seem like there was actually less change than we originally assumed there was. Whatever Ravus's original name was doesn't really matter anyway either because we never knew he had a different name until after his first proper name reveal, same with Iris and her original name. Even Barret was originally named "Blow" in early FF7 development, and Cloud looks about as different if not even moreso from his original design to final design, than whatever change Stella to Luna's design went through.

And things get even more weird for FF7 early development, you read earlier above how Nomura stated Sephiroth and Aerith were at one point siblings, however while the "character" we know now as Aerith originally existed as Sephiroth's sister, her original design looked like an early Tifa design and her name was actually listed as Tifa at the time too, as you can see the link here between Sephiroth and the character named "ティファ/Tifa" says "きょうだい/Kyoudai" between them which means siblings, and Barret's name is stated as ”ブロウ/Blow".

Also the characters on the bottom right has the bald one in the middle listed as "レノ/Reno" and the guy with the eyepatch as "ルード/Rude".

We know for a fact that Cloud, Barret and Aerith were the 3 party members first created.
So in exactly what order did you draw the characters?

Nomura: The first ones I drew was Cloud and Aerith. Next was Barret.
https://thelifestream.net/lifestrea...o-13-of-the-ffvii-10th-anniversary-ultimania/

And as stated above we know for a fact that Aerith and Sephiroth were stated to originally be siblings which would later also be reflected in the characters hair bangs, yet here Barret is listed as "Blow" and the character listed as being siblings with Sephiroth is named "Tifa" and looks like an early design of Tifa, and Sephiroth looks like an early design of Vincent, so the only way this character named Tifa who looks different to Aerith's final design could be Sephiroth's sibling whom also looks different to his final design is if the character listed as Tifa here was actually the character of Aerith just prior to her name and design were finalized as Aerith and her design becoming the design we know.

What this actually would mean is that the character we know as Aerith was originally named Tifa and looked more like an early Tifa design, prior to them creating the "actual Tifa" character that we know now too, as they stated they only created Tifa after they had created Barret, Aerith and Cloud, so sometime after this stage in FF7s development the character designs changed and Aerith then gained her current design with the bangs and Sephiroth also had his design changed to have similar bangs, then sometime more after that they were no longer siblings and the actual Tifa character we know was created, since this early dev chart implies the name "Tifa" had been there since early on it would imply they just reused that name for the new character they created named Tifa later on during FF7's development.

Honestly compared to this whatever changes from Stella to Luna happened feel minuscule in comparison.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I'm not talking about a pitch, designs for FF7 were made, entire characters were cut and moved to other FFs, the story had multiple revisions and there was far more change from the old FF7 to the final FF7, especially narrative and character wise than there was for anything from Versus to XV. Most of the "unused" Versus shit still left in the game is just leftover texture or asset data from the Ebony build because it was made in Ebony before it was ported over to Luminous, as Aramaki stated they merged Ebony into Luminous when they migrated to the engine, the 2010/2011 Versus stuff was made in Ebony as was the 2012/2013 XV prototype build prior to them starting to move to Luminous around July 2013.

https://andriasang.com/con11g/ffvii15/

There is more change there in that sentence alone about what Aerith and Sephiroth's relationship was stated to be, than there even was for changes from what we knew of Stella to Luna for example. Aerith went from being Sephiroth's sister to later being changed so that Sephiroth was her first love, to later dropping that entirely and the character of Zack created to be her first love instead, that's three completely different shifts in what would be a character dynamic and important relationship for who was at the time one of the only 3 party members in the entire game.

What did we know about Stella? She was a noble women from Tenebrae, she's a Nox Fleuret, she wore white, had blonde hair, Nomura only ever described her as being "someone nice who sticks to her beliefs", Nomura in 2008 stated that the first time Noctis and Stella ever met was the at the peace treaty party, she has a rapier and stood in a street once opposed to Noctis, she mentions she had a near death experience as a child in the 2009 trailer, and then in the 2011 trailer that she wants to know if there is a reason for why she can see the light. Fast forward to 2013 and suddenly Stella is now childhood friends with Noctis like Luna is, and most things regarding Stella already also apply to Luna too anyway including her child design, and Luna herself just being modified from 2013 Stella's design.

That's literally it. Like not even Ravus/Lupus being Stella's brother was even confirmed or suggested to have been a thing for Stella until Ferrari's storyboards from May 2013 surfaced in Mid 2017 showed them interacting, and even then just months prior to the games launch it wasn't even widely assumed that Ravus aka the white hooded man at the time would have been her brother until his name was confirmed as a Nox Fleuret in mid 2016, which is all the same as him being Luna's brother anyway, and in fact Ravus/Lupus whatever being Stella's brother prior to her becoming Luna only made it seem like there was actually less change than we originally assumed there was. Whatever Ravus's original name was doesn't really matter anyway either because we never knew he had a different name until after his first proper name reveal, same with Iris and her original name. Even Barret was originally named "Blow" in early FF7 development, and Cloud looks about as different if not even moreso from his original design to final design, than whatever change Stella to Luna's design went through.

And things get even more weird for FF7 early development, you read earlier above how Nomura stated Sephiroth and Aerith were at one point siblings, however while the "character" we know now as Aerith originally existed as Sephiroth's sister, her original design looked like an early Tifa design and her name was actually listed as Tifa at the time too, as you can see the link here between Sephiroth and the character named "ティファ/Tifa" says "きょうだい/Kyoudai" between them which means siblings, and Barret's name is stated as ”ブロウ/Blow".

Also the characters on the bottom right has the bald one in the middle listed as "レノ/Reno" and the guy with the eyepatch as "ルード/Rude".

We know for a fact that Cloud, Barret and Aerith were the 3 party members first created.

https://thelifestream.net/lifestrea...o-13-of-the-ffvii-10th-anniversary-ultimania/

And as stated above we know for a fact that Aerith and Sephiroth were stated to originally be siblings which would later also be reflected in the characters hair bangs, yet here Barret is listed as "Blow" and the character listed as being siblings with Sephiroth is named "Tifa" and looks like an early design of Tifa, and Sephiroth looks like an early design of Vincent, so the only way this character named Tifa who looks different to Aerith's final design could be Sephiroth's sibling whom also looks different to his final design is if the character listed as Tifa here was actually the character of Aerith just prior to her name and design were finalized as Aerith and her design becoming the design we know.

What this actually would mean is that the character we know as Aerith was originally named Tifa and looked more like an early Tifa design, prior to them creating the "actual Tifa" character that we know now too, as they stated they only created Tifa after they had created Barret, Aerith and Cloud, so sometime after this stage in FF7s development the character designs changed and Aerith then gained her current design with the bangs and Sephiroth also had his design changed to have similar bangs, then sometime more after that they were no longer siblings and the actual Tifa character we know was created, since this early dev chart implies the name "Tifa" had been there since early on it would imply they just reused that name for the new character they created named Tifa later on during FF7's development.

Honestly compared to this whatever changes from Stella to Luna happened feel minuscule in comparison.

Wow, I knew some of that, but the stuff about the current Aerith originally looking like and being called "Tifa" (and being the sister of a Sephiroth who looked more like Vincent) is completely new to me. o_o

Just to add another complication, I heard that the design for Zack was taken from a rejected character model for Cloud. FFVII seems to have been changing the appearances and names of characters all over the place!

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the original plan for FFVI didn't include the World of Ruin at all. The entire back half of the game was added because the development team was running ahead of schedule!

LogicalFal'cie

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 8, 2015
U.K
Oh and since we're talking about characters changing as the project does, this also includes a knight, Auron. He is actually Jecht in disguise at this point in development. At some other point in development Tidus was a unsent. Whilst this was all taking place in a city called Registan (later being renamed Zanarkand.)

noctiAlphe

Balamb Garden Freshman
Apr 4, 2018
Seventeen, such an interesting unused concept but,, i still think it would never had worked, everyone dying at 17 was just.... uh.well ... worldbuilding that is such a mess

Anyway, unfortunately with the final updates of FFXV i kinda lost interest for it, i always had hope we would get more info of the original plot, i grew up with the versus xiii trailers and it was, and is still a magical thing to me.

i'd respect the dev team but, oh man, if only we could get a honest ultimania about the original concept :) probably in 20 years.

mozzafaralj

SOLDIER Second Class
Apr 12, 2016
Seventeen, such an interesting unused concept but,, i still think it would never had worked, everyone dying at 17 was just.... uh.well ... worldbuilding that is such a mess

Anyway, unfortunately with the final updates of FFXV i kinda lost interest for it, i always had hope we would get more info of the original plot, i grew up with the versus xiii trailers and it was, and is still a magical thing to me.

i'd respect the dev team but, oh man, if only we could get a honest ultimania about the original concept :) probably in 20 years.
oh that very interesting.

mrsaturnbooty

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Mar 12, 2018
"whiteday" (development) branch got an update today according to SteamDB. Likely nothing more than bugfixes, but it's the first update to the game since mid-February. Glad to see some work is still being done. Hopefully they aren't removing the FFXIV collab event though, since that ends on the 27th.
Good catch! I hope they aren't removing the collaborations -- it would be so cruel if they're just sucking out more content as the last update, without even having the consideration to warn us :(

Foolish I know, but I hope it's something to do on the mod front... Back in December, those mysterious 'Summer Attire' outfits were added to game's files, and are supposedly labeled as paid mod outfits. There's also menus and text for the paid mod store.

It would seem obvious that all their modding plans have been cancelled, but in the face of them refusing to give anyone an outright answer regarding their current state, I have the absolute tiniest shred of hope still remaining that something will materialize.

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
Well again I already said there was superficial similarities, which would include that musical reference too, and on that note regarding the Somnus theme itself.

Take a listen to this music section from the 1996 Romeo+Juliet, not only does the music sound like it was used as a temp or reference for Somnus as its also using those same chords, but the whole scene itself feels like it was an influence for the Versus scene in the peace treaty party too.

Now you might think so what if there is a similarity there, but the thing is the 1996 Romeo+Juliet was directed by Baz Luhrmann who Nomura has stated is his biggest cinematic influence.
https://ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xv-was-almost-a-musical

Not only that but the 2008 Versus trailer feels like it was directly influenced from the intro of the movie too and like the music was used as reference to inform Omnis Lacrima, even it starting with a news report too.

So I think that Verum Rex having a reference to the Somnus theme is more it being a reference to the music Somnus was influenced from, hence the similarity.
I know I'm late for this reply, but thankfully I'm not the only one who thinks Versus came from inspiration of Romeo+Juliet, especially the music "O Verona" and "Kissing You" which is similar to "Omnis Lacrima" and "Somnus". Also Nomura's favorite Director.

mozzafaralj

SOLDIER Second Class
Apr 12, 2016
https://steamdb.info/app/637650/history/ Who has a lot of experience with Steam to tell me his expectation about it

History
36 minutes ago · May 25, 2019 – 12:09:44 UTCChange #6313097
  • Changed store_tags
    • 8: 3859 (Multiplayer)19 (Action)
    • 9: 19 (Action)3859 (Multiplayer)
  • Changed changenumber63107676313097
about 5 hours ago · May 25, 2019 – 08:10:10 UTCChange #6310767
  • Changed store_tags
    • 4: 1742 (Story Rich)1756 (Great Soundtrack)
    • 5: 1756 (Great Soundtrack)1742 (Story Rich)
    • 6: 4182 (Singleplayer)21 (Adventure)
    • 7: 21 (Adventure)4182 (Singleplayer)
  • Changed changenumber63085416310767

What does this mean ?Your expectation?

Last edited:

IwakuraLain

PSICOM Soldier
Mar 20, 2018
thank you
Do you expect the game to be updated?
What is your expectation?
I'd love to see the level editor completed and released since it was one of the reasons I bought the game in the first place. Realistically speaking, however, the best case is it's a bugfix or something like them removing Denuvo. Luminous has moved on and is working on a new game, so I wouldn't expect any new content to be added. Worst case scenario is content removal, such as the FFXIV or Terra Battle sidequests. It's also entirely possible that nothing comes out of this and the game is never updated again.
My advice is to just temper your expectations otherwise you'll just end up disappointed.

mozzafaralj

SOLDIER Second Class
Apr 12, 2016
I'd love to see the level editor completed and released since it was one of the reasons I bought the game in the first place. Realistically speaking, however, the best case is it's a bugfix or something like them removing Denuvo. Luminous has moved on and is working on a new game, so I wouldn't expect any new content to be added. Worst case scenario is content removal, such as the FFXIV or Terra Battle sidequests. It's also entirely possible that nothing comes out of this and the game is never updated again.
My advice is to just temper your expectations otherwise you'll just end up disappointed.
Thank you and I agree with you I expectation that they will not release an update