Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
This is an interesting vid with some good insight, I remember watching this back when it first went up in 2017, but then it went private to members only for a while. Dan mentions that it was actually Noctis's Japanese VA Tatsuhisa Suzuki who mentioned that his inspiration for Noctis was Kurt Cobain, someone that's sweet at heart but always on edge, and is a rockstar who scorns the spotlight, I must have misremembered that because I always thought it was something the localization team came up with for Noctis loc dialogue, rather than that being what his Japanese VA was doing channeled in his performance.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
This is an interesting vid with some good insight, I remember watching this back when it first went up in 2017, but then it went private to members only for a while. Dan mentions that it was actually Noctis's Japanese VA Tatsuhisa Suzuki who mentioned that his inspiration for Noctis was Kurt Cobain, someone that's sweet at heart but always on edge, and is a rockstar who scorns the spotlight, I must have misremembered that because I always thought it was something the localization team came up with for Noctis loc dialogue, rather than that being what his Japanese VA was doing channeled in his performance.
I just watched that video too. Amazing insight. I always wondered if the English terminology was a reaction against earlier FF titles' more abstract terminology. Now I know. And it's somewhat gratifying to know they had just as much trouble connecting the different media as we do sometimes. Hopefully the team will take these lessons to heart with future mainline titles. See if they can't find that magical middle ground.

Also, have to commend them for their story approach. It works as a suspense tale more than it does a story of revelations.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
New interviews regarding Luminous Productions.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/...n-the-games-before-expanding-their-universes/

An interview from Takeshi Aramaki, president of Luminous Productions following Tabata's departure and effectively the director of many later FFXV products following the game's release.

I understand that, for FINAL FANTASY XV, the team was successful in developing relations with the fans and communities overseas. Are you planning on engaging the game community as Luminous Productions as well?

Aramaki: With FINAL FANTASY XV, we gained a great number of fans who have been truly supportive. Similarly as Luminous Productions, we’ll continue to make efforts so that we can excite people to become the fans of our studio. Perhaps they will choose to be our fans because of our technological approach or fall in love with our game design, or maybe the artwork.

For FINAL FANTASY XV, many young generations played our game – younger than our initial marketing forecast. I was also pleasantly surprised that there were so many female players as well. So, we hope to leverage that experience to fully engage with the community to win over and cherish our new fans.

Interesting! How about core game fans?

Aramaki: To tell you the truth, for FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION, I was the one checking the Steam forums pretty much every day, thinking to myself “what sort of features should we add to the game…?” (laugh). I hope to engage with the community and mature gamers as we craft our game.

Understood. Lastly, to wrap up, please tell us about the direction Luminous Productions is aiming for in the game industry that is becoming increasingly diverse.

Aramaki: FINAL FANTASY XV did well sales-wise overseas, and to my delight, players in countries like Brazil and Russia were really enjoying our game. In addition, the data also indicated that many younger generations have been playing our game as well.

I believe it’s important that we engage younger generations through a solid market research and deliver our title to RPG fans around the world. I hope that we’ll become a studio capable of exploring and conceiving new ways to further develop our identity and deliver a new gaming experience to the world.
Key points I found is this; they're gonna focus on creating a solid game experience, then reach out into other media if they want to. Also, their new game was in pre-production until early 2019, when it actually entered full production.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/...-new-global-aaa-ip-with-luminous-productions/

Next interview is this one from Yosuke Matsuda. Nothing really quote-worthy, but some interesting titbits. Luminous Productions is intended as the Japanese equivalent of something like Crystal Dynamics or Eidos Montreal, something pseudo-independent but still within the corporate umbrella.

General takeaway from both articles is that Luminous Studio is an engine that won't be exclusive to Final Fantasy, and they're using it as the springboard for their new IP, which in Aramaki's words would be "a new title that’s on the same playing field as [Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest]". Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
New interviews regarding Luminous Productions.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/...n-the-games-before-expanding-their-universes/

An interview from Takeshi Aramaki, president of Luminous Productions following Tabata's departure and effectively the director of many later FFXV products following the game's release.

Key points I found is this; they're gonna focus on creating a solid game experience, then reach out into other media if they want to. Also, their new game was in pre-production until early 2019, when it actually entered full production.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/...-new-global-aaa-ip-with-luminous-productions/

Next interview is this one from Yosuke Matsuda. Nothing really quote-worthy, but some interesting titbits. Luminous Productions is intended as the Japanese equivalent of something like Crystal Dynamics or Eidos Montreal, something pseudo-independent but still within the corporate umbrella.

General takeaway from both articles is that Luminous Studio is an engine that won't be exclusive to Final Fantasy, and they're using it as the springboard for their new IP, which in Aramaki's words would be "a new title that’s on the same playing field as [Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest]". Looking forward to it!
Hopefully, their new IP goes well, I'm very curious about it, and even though I never said this out loud before but, I'm curious about this new IP as much as the FFVII Remake itself.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
There is this new image on Luminous Productions website that's likely going to be from the new Luminous Engine tech demo/latest graphical showcase of the engine at CEDEC on September 5th.

http://www.luminous-productions.com/

The site also has some images of older Luminous Engine tech demos.

Agni's 2nd tech demo that Tabata presented via video message, using DX12 and titled "WITCH - Chapter 0 [cry]" from 2015 shown first at Microsoft BUILD.

And this image from the FFXV Luminous Studio Pro tech demo that Tabata showed at GDC 2017.

I'm fairly sure the new pics of the woman looking in the mirror will be part of the CEDEC presentation on high-end character graphics. Whether it is also part of the new Luminous Productions IP is to be seen, but personally I think it will be more like an Agni thing and it will be them showcasing the tech that they then incorporate their know-how from doing into whatever actual game they are making.
http://cedec.cesa.or.jp/2019/session/detail/s5c9db9bda6233

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
There is this new image on Luminous Productions website that's likely going to be from the new Luminous Engine tech demo/latest graphical showcase of the engine at CEDEC on September 5th.

http://www.luminous-productions.com/

The site also has some images of older Luminous Engine tech demos.

Agni's 2nd tech demo that Tabata presented via video message, using DX12 and titled "WITCH - Chapter 0 [cry]" from 2015 shown first at Microsoft BUILD.

And this image from the FFXV Luminous Studio Pro tech demo that Tabata showed at GDC 2017.

I'm fairly sure the new pics of the woman looking in the mirror will be part of the CEDEC presentation on high-end character graphics. Whether it is also part of the new Luminous Productions IP is to be seen, but personally I think it will be more like an Agni thing and it will be them showcasing the tech that they then incorporate their know-how from doing into whatever actual game they are making.
http://cedec.cesa.or.jp/2019/session/detail/s5c9db9bda6233
Wow, I didn't know there was going to be a new tech demo so soon! I can't wait! The mirror and intense lighting on the woman's fingers makes me think that they might be focusing on ray-tracing and sub-surface scattering.