Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ash

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 18, 2018
Do you seriously think advancement in graphics tech is being made at the expense of plot or gameplay? What the hell kind of logic is that? That's like saying resolution improvement comes at the cost of how many lines of dialog a character has in battle, like what? They have nothing to do with each other and are not some kind of interchangeable thing that affect the other. I wish people who make stupid statements like this would actually bother to learn how game development works instead of thinking it's all either going into one thing or the other and that there isn't people specialized in various things doing those various things. People who write the plots and characters of a game have nothing to do with graphics engineers or how many polygons a character has or whatever rendering methods are used, game designers and planners aren't restricted by that either. Graphics tech will always keep moving forward throughout a gen regardless of what any writers or game designers choose to do for their games. Do you think that if they used low poly models and simplistic assets that would suddenly mean more gameplay and plot gets added? Tell that to I Am Setsuna or Oninaki.
Honestly I couldn't continue reading your post because of the insulting language, and I wouldn't listen to you if you used that language in person either. Nothing can be discussed like this.

Feb 19, 2018
I'm calling it now. When FFVII:R comes out a good amount of its features will get praise and love even though these very same features were in FFXV prior.
Enh, ten years down the road people will come around. If the total 180 on FFXII (and a couple other FFs tbh) has taught me anything it's that once the whole super emotional hate bandwagon dies down people eventually go back to an earlier FF game and actually formulate their own opinion and give the game a proper chance. Now FFXV is obviously a bit of a unique case with its troubled development cycle and post launch support but for the most part there are a good amount of positive things to be gleaned from it when you play with a neutral mindset. It's not a perfect game and obviously has its flaws but so does every other FF and with time people hoist those games up to legendary status because once they start seeing the positives in something the bandwagon then ironically moves in the opposite direction. You could pick most of the FF games apart in a similar fashion to FFXV if you really wanted to at the end of the day.

Anyways yeah definitely seen a lot of stuff in FFVII:R that had the groundwork laid for it in FFXV. The ATB bar system actually reminds me a lot of the tech bar from FFXV but obviously improved and expanded upon immensely. The character switching also comes from FFXV but, again, is obviously improved upon and lastly the character interactions take a lot of cues from FFXV as evidenced by Barret's victory chant posted above. I'm just happy they aren't totally abandoning the concepts that FFXV experimented with and are actually finding ways to refine them. FFXV may not have entirely revolutionized the series like people hoped it would but it's undeniable that it set the series on an exciting new course from the looks of it and for that I can appreciate it.

Last edited:

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Hi pot, meet kettle, welcome to FFXV.
I see you don't actually know what you are talking about. Next you'll say graphics tech advances comes at the expense of something like sound design, or that sound design comes at the expense of plot or gameplay, or that fucking texture resolution comes at the expense of plot. If you don't actually know anything about graphics technology or how games are made then stop posting, because it's embarrassing to read every time you post when you're clueless about everything you ever say. They are not mutually exclusive nor do the have any adverse negative affect on one another, a person in charge of writing a plot or gameplay planning has nothing to do with graphics implementation on the technical side, the people making the advancements in technology aren't somehow going up to the scenario writers or gameplay planners and telling them they can't put so and so story or so and so gameplay in.

By your own logic the fact that devs started using newer engines with more advanced technology instead of sticking to old ass engines from gens ago means that gameplay and plot are being negatively affected because of advancement in technology, essentially you are saying that a game using UE4 is being negatively affected in its plot and gameplay than a game running on UE3, or the same for UE3 from UE2. Bro please tell me how did games starting to use DoF when that was first introduced into 3D game engines negatively affect gameplay and plot? How did games using real time GI negatively affect gameplay and plot? How did games using real time Physically based rendering and Image-based lighting come at the expense of gameplay and plot? How did the introduction of audio streaming instead of using soundfonts with midi come at the expense of plot and gameplay? How did the introduction of 3D movement in a 3D environment come at the expense of story and gameplay for gaming? How did the use of texture data and bump mapping in video games come at the expense of gameplay and plot? You know things like that didn't just always exist in games, right?

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I see you don't actually know what you are talking about. Next you'll say graphics tech advances comes at the expense of something like sound design, or that sound design comes at the expense of plot or gameplay, or that fucking texture resolution comes at the expense of plot. If you don't actually know anything about graphics technology or how games are made then stop posting, because it's embarrassing to read every time you post when you're clueless about everything you ever say. They are not mutually exclusive nor do the have any adverse negative affect on one another, a person in charge of writing a plot or gameplay planning has nothing to do with graphics implementation on the technical side, the people making the advancements in technology aren't somehow going up to the scenario writers or gameplay planners and telling them they can't put so and so story or so and so gameplay in.

By your own logic the fact that devs started using newer engines with more advanced technology instead of sticking to old ass engines from gens ago means that gameplay and plot are being negatively affected because of advancement in technology, essentially you are saying that a game using UE4 is being negatively affected in its plot and gameplay than a game running on UE3, or the same for UE3 from UE2. Bro please tell me how did games starting to use DoF when that was first introduced into 3D game engines negatively affect gameplay and plot? How did games using real time GI negatively affect gameplay and plot? How did games using real time Physically based rendering and Image-based lighting come at the expense of gameplay and plot? How did the introduction of audio streaming instead of using soundfonts with midi come at the expense of plot and gameplay? How did the introduction of 3D movement in a 3D environment come at the expense of story and gameplay for gaming? How did the use of texture data and bump mapping in video games come at the expense of gameplay and plot? You know things like that didn't just always exist in games, right?
To be fair, there are some associations between tech and the quality of gameplay and story... they're just far more complicated than a company needing to choose between putting resources in the "tech" or "gameplay and story" baskets. =P

1) Visual fidelity in character models and animations can have two different effects... which, ironically, operate in opposite directions:
- a. Low visual fidelity leaves far more room for imagination, which for some players transforms a limited or even unambitious story into an unsurpassed epic. It also enforces a certain level of exaggeration and makes it far less likely for imperfections to ruin the overall effect.
- b. High visual fidelity, when used properly, can create a far more immediate connection with the player's emotions, as the characters' reactions can be portrayed down to the slightest detail.

(Note that voiceovers increase both the positive and negative effects of visual fidelity.)

2) 3D environments tend to require a very different scale than 2D environment, which makes things particularly weird for RPGs that rely on random battles -- 2D RPGs tend to have very high encounter rates and much shorter travel distances than a 3D game could possibly allow. This inevitably alters the pace of the game (which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, but is definitely different).
- a. One rather strange consequence of this is a change in the type of music used within environments. Since you're stuck in the same area for longer, there's a tendency to move away from repeating catchy, melodic tunes towards unobtrusive atmospheric pieces, which can seem like a major downgrade if you liked listening to the former kind of tunes on their own merits.

3) 3D games tend to have a much, much longer iteration time than 2D games did, especially when they use GI solutions that aren't fully realtime. This can be a big disadvantage with regards to both gameplay and story, since it makes it much more difficult to test things to see what works and what doesn't. With that said, this is one area where increasing tech might actually make things better, since pathtracing would render baked lighting a thing of the past.

ash

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 18, 2018
Plot - I'll grant you, although I suspect those issues had to do more with time constraints.
Gameplay - disagree. Playing this game was the most fun I've ever had with an JRPG, or even an ARPG. The free updates and Royal Edition just made it better.
I agree the gameplay was fun, but it was still rushed. This is not necessarily at the cost of the graphics. Some parts could have done with more work, e.g. Leviathan sequence. The graphics would've actually improved that and some other parts had they not rushed them.

The amount of time and money spent on graphics definitely had an effect on the plot execution. SE spent way too much time showing off Noctis's hair and weather phenomenon effects and it was annoying - I skipped most of those demos. The graphics standard SE set means they will need to do more polishing, which means more time spent on those parts, and less overall plot development.

I am still ignoring the other person (Bazztek) because of their language.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I agree the gameplay was fun, but it was still rushed. This is not necessarily at the cost of the graphics. Some parts could have done with more work, e.g. Leviathan sequence. The graphics would've actually improved that and some other parts had they not rushed them.

The amount of time and money spent on graphics definitely had an effect on the plot execution. SE spent way too much time showing off Noctis's hair and weather phenomenon effects and it was annoying - I skipped most of those demos. The graphics standard SE set means they will need to do more polishing, which means more time spent on those parts, and less overall plot development.

I am still ignoring the other person (Bazztek) because of their language.
Then explain how (post sources to back them up), parroting them does not make them facts.

ash

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 18, 2018
Then explain how (post sources to back them up), parroting them does not make them facts.
I am simply stating my opinions and thoughts. I don't own anybody a fully researched post backing everything I say up. I'd rather spend that time focusing on my social life and career. You can always ignore my posts if you don't like them :)

Vallen

Forest Owl
Mar 4, 2018
I see you don't actually know what you are talking about. Next you'll say graphics tech advances comes at the expense of something like sound design, or that sound design comes at the expense of plot or gameplay, or that fucking texture resolution comes at the expense of plot.
Hey now, many other great games don't suffer from this, in XV's case, it sure as hell does and you are just delusional if you think it doesn't. Yes the game was rushed. Yes it had some good parts too. And yes their obsession with graphics definately impacted other aspects of this game - open your damn eyes.

If you don't actually know anything about graphics technology or how games are made then stop posting, because it's embarrassing to read every time you post when you're clueless about everything you ever say.
Here's the thing, first of all don't tell me what to do, boy. And second of all, I sure as hell will call you out on your stupidity and verbal diarrhea on here. Stop attacking every member and pushing your extremely bias, negative, half the time incorrect, and overall just disgusting opinions on others.