Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Feels weird, thinking back on Square/SQEX's past. They managed three mainline FFs in a generation (Famicom, SNES, PS1, PS2), then all the dev problems happened, we just got XIII and XIV on 7th gen, then we only got XV for 8th gen. It's almost sad. Mind you, I'd rather they take their time and produce something worth having than...say...grind one out year on year on year until their team implodes and/or their tech grows stale. That wouldn't be right.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow, anyway.
Well, I suppose having the same core team and director leading the franchise is what led to steady developments and releases. In those eras, the formula didn't change much either.

Look at the waiting for FFXII. Complete different structure than FFX, and the changes only got more drastic from there between FFXII, FFXIII, and FFXV and in some ways, FFVIIR. Because the staff and vision and tech (like engine used) is different for each, which adds to the development time.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
An interesting implication of this is that it means that FFXVI almost certainly isn't using UE5, which would put it as a late 2021/early 2022 game rather than something further out than that. A game that was able to take advantage of Nanite and Lumen certainly would seem forward-looking and mindblowing.
I don't think UE5 has been given out to devs yet, I thought that was happening next year. I remember Epic saying something like it'll be easier to migrate from UE4 projects to an UE5 build, but that remains to be seen, as it is now even migrating from one build of UE4 to another UE4 build is a huge pain, so much that you are basically forced to save different versions of UE4 just so you can run projects properly saved on specific versions, and have to retool everything if you were to migrate to a different or newer UE4 build.

Maybe with the Nanite and Lumen tech they can directly use full spec Visual Works assets in engine and have it look as close as possible to how they'd light it in CG.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
So many things to say, but I need to rewatch it at least a hundred times.

First impression is FFXIV meets Dragons Dogma meets Vagrant Story.

My God.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Same guy who directed the Last Remnant. Glad he's getting another shot. I was afraid that because of Tabata's perceived failure of XV they wouldn't allow fresh blood to held the mainline games anymore. Happy to be very wrong on that front.

Feb 19, 2018
Saw a bit in the trailer where the MC was warping towards his target. Hope it's them building upon some of the movement and aerial combat systems from FFXV and fleshing them out further. FFVIIR's aerial combat left a lot to be desired so hopefully they improve in that department with FFXVI. That music though, sent chills down my spine.

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
Wow what a trailer.
I like the medieval with fantasy themes.
I'm getting seriously XIV vibes by it's soundtrack so Soken could be the composer of XVI and also that dragoon scene. O_O
And the brutality finally a main final fantasy main game with more serious setting.
I'm interested in this, but we surely have to wait 2 years probably to release this game.