Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Vallen

Forest Owl
Mar 4, 2018
I respect Yoshi-P but this trailer didn't really impress me, nothing stands out in terms of tone/combat/characters. Looks similar to XIV's engine (though probably not). Graphics also didn't impress me compared even to some PS4 games.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I don't think UE5 has been given out to devs yet, I thought that was happening next year. I remember Epic saying something like it'll be easier to migrate from UE4 projects to an UE5 build, but that remains to be seen, as it is now even migrating from one build of UE4 to another UE4 build is a huge pain, so much that you are basically forced to save different versions of UE4 just so you can run projects properly saved on specific versions, and have to retool everything if you were to migrate to a different or newer UE4 build.

Maybe with the Nanite and Lumen tech they can directly use full spec Visual Works assets in engine and have it look as close as possible to how they'd light it in CG.
I think they said that UE5 was going to come into use in Early 2021. Not that it matters for FFXVI... it's supposedly using Crystal Tools!

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I respect Yoshi-P but this trailer didn't really impress me, nothing stands out in terms of tone/combat/characters. Looks similar to XIV's engine (though probably not). Graphics also didn't impress me compared even to some PS4 games.
While its great to have ultimate graphics to show off, I think the pursue of that also held back on the implementation of other elements in the past. FFXIIIs case is a clear example of that.

I'm fine with less impressive graphics if that means better realized features, world with more content, more cutscenes... We'll have to wait and see, soon hopefully.

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I'm sold on pretty much everything in the trailer except for the graphics - still looking a bit rough, but that was the least of my concerns.
The setting, characters, mood and tone are great and give some of that FFXII wibe that I love so much.
And the fact that they decided to go full-fledged action game with DMC5's/DD's designer directing this game's combat is a dream come true for me, and the combat gameplay bits in the trailer is a firm confirmation of that
Just hoping they take however long they need to push out a complete, satisfying game to not repeat the whole FFXV situation.

Feb 19, 2018
While its great to have ultimate graphics to show off, I think the pursue of that also held back on the implementation of other elements in the past. FFXIIIs case is a clear example of that.

I'm fine with less impressive graphics if that means better realized features, world with more content, more cutscenes... We'll have to wait and see, soon hopefully.
I agree, I see many people harping about the graphics not being the second coming of christ or the setpieces not being super elaborate so far but after seeing what the obsession with graphics did to FFXV and how many promised setpieces in that game were severely toned back and/or entirely cut because Square and Nomura got too ambitious I'm pretty happy to see that this project looks relatively grounded. Sure it could be argued that it may even be playing it too safe but I'm just glad that the trailer showed a lot of stuff that looks achievable for the most part. It was honestly refreshing looking at some of the fights and visuals and not thinking to myself "damn, so how are these gonna look when they're inevitably scaled back for the final product?" It's nice knowing that something like the Dragoon fight will probably make it into the game unscathed or even somewhat improved. At this point I'd rather take safe but achievable over ambitious train wreck, my heart can't take anymore lengthy revelations about what could've been after the previous 10+ year long roller coaster.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Something else I noticed in terms of references. The young archduke's son's called Joshua, he possesses a dangerous power, the protagonist is a former servant of royalty and seems to turn into some kind of covert/black ops squad targeting magic users (summoners or Dominants in this case), a terrible event leads to death close to the protagonist, there is a council that includes a sharp-tongued woman smoking tobacco...

Whoever's writing this seems to be cribbing a lot from Vagrant Story.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I wish!

(In the context of being made by FFXIV staff, it's not so much "brought back" as "continued using," though; XIV itself is on a heavily modified Crystal Tools fork.)

I wouldn't go by one journalist's say-so, since he appears to be talking more about the graphics quality and aesthetic than the engine tech. Plus, according to dev interviews, with XIV they actually scrapped the whole engine and started over with a "completely different" engine optimised for online functions when they moved to ARR. Until we get an actual interview confirming the engine, I'm staying sceptical about this claim, which seems to be based on nothing but a trailer's visual style and quality, with some sarcasm thrown in.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
I'm looking forward to FFXVI, I liked the trailer that I saw, and that combat, if it is actually game-play, looks like fun, and looks like something I would enjoy. I'm also very curious about the story that this game will have, and I wish Yoshida and his team luck on FFXVI, and looking forward to getting this game when it comes out or around that time. It also helps that I wanted to see a medieval-styled Final Fantasy game after XV, which I enjoyed as well, and and I'm excited at the fact that it is medieval-styled.