Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Developed by: Acquire, Square Enix
Published by: Square Enix (JP), Nintendo (WW)
Release: July 13, 2018
Systems: Nintendo Switch exclusive
Genre: Neo-Retro role-playing game

Key artwork by Akihiko Yoshida:
Originally announced on January 13 2017, during the Nintendo Switch Event,Project Octopath Traveler is the latest work from Bravely co-creators Tomoyo Asano and Masashi Takahashi. Developed in conjunction with Acquire, the studio known for titles such as Akiba'S Trip and Way of the Samurai, the game is a classical turn-based RPG set in a medieval fantasy world. The style used by the game has been described as "HD-2D" and utilises voxel sprites inspired by 16-bit design against a 3D background.

The game also features eight protagonists, each with their own narratives, although other characters can be recruited along the way. On September 13 2017, a demo for the game was released on the Switch's eShop, in which two characters were revealed and the beginning sections of their respective stories are playable - Olberic Eisenberg, a knight (second on the left) and Primrose Azelhart, a dancer (rightmost, riding). Characters also are based on classes and possess unique field skills - Olberic can challenge NPCs to a duel, whereas Primrose can seduce them and utilise them in battle.

Further links:
Original Announcement (YouTube; Nintendo UK; 13/01/2017)
Nintendo Direct segment (YouTube; Nintendo; 13/09/2017)
Primrose Demo - Game & Watch (Nintendo Switch) (YouTube; GameXplain; 14/09/2017) [Warning: Contains spoilers]
Project Octopath Traveler Developers Answer How The Project Started, And The Troubles In Developing HD-2D (Siliconera; Alistair Wong; 04/02/2018)
Octopath Traveler demo players celebrate sweeping updates based on their feedback (Polygon; Allegra Frank; 30/01/2018)
Official Game Site at Nintendo.com

This has me excited. After the letdown that I Am Setsuna turned out to be, this comes across as "retro done right" - utilising a familiar aesthetic while adding new aspects to keep it fresh. The demo was enjoyable and I somewhat appreciate the game going for a serious tone without slipping into outright self-parody.
Probably my most anticipated Square Enix release after Dragon Quest XI right now. Thumbs up from me.

Last edited: