Ok, Here we go.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Aether

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 25, 2013
Australia
So yesterday I had a lady walk in asking if I could increase the HDD space in her 7 year old son's XBOX 360 because he couldn't play the new game he got - Grand Theft Auto V

Yes, she willingly bought her 7 year old son a game which carries an R18+ rating in this country. It really makes me despair about some parents sometimes....

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Wow. I don't even want to play GTAV anymore, aside from a lot of gripes I have about it, because you pretty much just play as a bunch of scumbags. Even Franklin, who seems the most...normal, I guess. Honestly, I think it borders on the A rating, and it's only M because Rockstart knows it would probably get banned in a dozen countries, and I'm sure plenty of kids couldn't play it.
But I also love it when I get to tell parents why their little ten-year-old Jimmy boy can't play GTAV, and I explain the rating. It's awesome watching the horror come over their faces. xD
Is there anything wrong with that, though? Some of the best movies of all time involve following the exploits of antihero assholes - Tony Montana, Henry Hill, Michael Corleone etc etc. The thing about GTA5 is that each of those characters - even Trevor - has this deep seated stuff going on that justifies why their lives are so completely fucked.

I think saying videogames can't tell stories like that is a real detriment to the medium. Games are at the point where they can and deserve to be able to tackle those things, and I think Michael in particular is a really interesting character who ends up in a really interesting place over the course of that game. Even Trevor, though, who I found reprehensible in the first few hours of his story, I came to love. Franklin is just young, stupid and misguided, and in a sense his story is the saddest, though I won't go into spoiler territory here.

Or to put it another way: I'd rather have GTA trying to put motivation, reality and gravity into these things (with a dash of their standard ridiculousness) than not, as all you're left with then is motivation-free, quip-filled killing like it ain't a thing, Nathan Drake style. I love Uncharted, but he probably kills more people over the course of one of his linear adventures than all 3 of GTA's protagonists do in the core story mission structure of that game. Why aren't people pulling him up as a psychopath?

Chaos

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 27, 2013
Oregon
chaos1950.tumblr.com
So yesterday I had a lady walk in asking if I could increase the HDD space in her 7 year old son's XBOX 360 because he couldn't play the new game he got - Grand Theft Auto V

Yes, she willingly bought her 7 year old son a game which carries an R18+ rating in this country. It really makes me despair about some parents sometimes....

After reading this article about a young boy who is said to have behavioural issues snuck onto a plane because he "thought he was playing GTA" and the parents assumed he was just at a friends house, I myself have lost all hope.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/10/kid-sneaks-past-security-hides-in-plane-blamesgrand-theft-auto/

Phoenix

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 28, 2013
Yeah but you have to consider, I mean, what, a few hundred thousand to 1 million+ people bought that game? And for better or worse, a not unsignificant number of them will be minors. But when you are talking about those kinds of numbers, statistically you will get people who will do crazy things, regardless of whether your sample is "1 million people who've played GTAV" or "1 million people who've watched Sesame Street". If that kid hadn't watched GTAV, would he not have done that? Maybe. But chances are he would have done something else, I don't think you can pin the blame on an escapade like that on a single experience. Besides, if you read some of the other articles it's clear that kid was planning this, or something similar. He scoped out the airport the day before and took a random bag from luggage check. Then went to a restaurant to eat dinner, when the bill came he asked the waiter if he could watch "his" luggage, while he went to the restroom, and then skipped out on the bill. This kid is clearly smarter than your average 9 year old, and influence or not by GTA, he would have found some way to get himself into trouble sooner or later.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I have a theory about Patrick in The Walking Dead.

1. He mentions a deer Darryl brought in at the start of the episode, it could of been carrying something.

It seems to be something airborn that will end up killing the person infected with it, and when they turn into a walker, their eyes are different. One of the walkers RIck looked at had the same exact eyes.

EDIT: WAIT WHAT HIS ACTOR VOICED HOPE??? I couldn't tell!

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
There were too many teases in the ep, Rick and Michonne, Daryl and Carole. SHIP IT.

and in my defense, I couldn't care much about Hope in FF13, and I barely remember his voice in 13-2.

but yeah Sunday is taking its sweet ass time getting here. I need a zombie game or something.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I bought the season pass for the talltale The Walking Dead game and played it to death. What i'm interested in is Survival Instinct where you play as Daryl. I heard it wasn't that good but cmon, TWD, Daryl, what more can you ask for?

Wingly

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 3, 2013
Today it's 947 years since King Harold II of England, the last Anglo-Saxon king, was killed at the battle of Hastings. In December it'll be the 947 year anniversary of Duke William 'The Bastard' of Normandy turned into King William 'The Conqueror' of England.

History's lovely.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Today it's 947 years since King Harold II of England, the last Anglo-Saxon king, was killed at the battle of Hastings. In December it'll be the 947 year anniversary of Duke William 'The Bastard' of Normandy turned into King William 'The Conqueror' of England.

History's lovely.
Of equal importance, 14 years ago today, the Dreamcast was released in Europe. Happy 14th birthday, little fella.

Phoenix

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 28, 2013
Alright, so I picked up Paul McCartney's new album on my lunch break today (appropriately titled, "New"), and indie record stores were giving away a glowing, color changing cube as a release day promo. When I went, the store probably had about 20 of em, with no real rush on them that I could see. See below:

cube.jpg

So anyway, I get home and happen to search for it to see what other people think (it looks pretty cool) and find out it's selling for upwards of $100 on ebay! I feel like I should have bought all the rest of them, now. The album is pretty excellent, too.