SE announces new RPG project from "Tales of" producer Hideo Baba

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Square Enix establishes Studio Istolia for new RPG “Project Prelude Rune”
According to Square Enix, the project aims to build a new RPG with a new fantasy: unfolding across a vast land teeming with life. Nurtured by the earth, the many peoples of this land dare to dream, fighting for what is just—and this is their tale.

The studio name itself comes from the Greek word for “story” – an element central to the development team’s philosophies. Their goal is to provide unforgettable stories that will inspire players and deliver new game experiences to those around the world.
Hideo Baba talks new project in Famitsu
  • I was entrusted with a big IP at my previous position, but while doing business development outside of video games, I thought it was about time to pass the baton to my juniors, and at a turning point, I decided to leave the company.
  • When I thought about how many more games I’ll be able to make in the future, I thought that I wanted to try again among many major players in the RPG world. That’s why I knocked at the gates of Square Enix last October.
  • Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda: “I would like him to make a new IP while discovering new talent.”
  • Studio Istolia is a company of craftsmen that will create stories, which is the origin of its name.
  • The company mascot was designed by Toshiyuki Itahana, who did the character design for the Chocobo series. It’s still without a name, but I would like it if this character appears in future games.
  • I would like to express “kindness” and “warmth” as the setting for the new title we’re making now. It won’t have a bloodthirsty atmosphere, I want to make a game where you can think, “I want to enter that warm world as soon as possible.”
  • I would like to express the world based on the anime and comics I’ve come to know since I was little.
  • In returning to fantasy origins, I’m currently planning to make a straightforward, middle-fantasy RPG. The world will have various races, such as Norse mythology, dwarfs, and elves.
  • I don’t want to change the “Baba-ness,” such as depicting the growth of the characters and the strength of the message.
  • (When will it be released?) At this point…
  • (What platforms will it be released for?) I don’t know what it will become in the end, but we have a strong desire to stick with stationary consoles. However, I also want to consider platforms with business chances, including smartphones.
  • Of course, I also want to take on expansion overseas.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Really liking this approach S-E is taking, especially because this one seems to be a rather big game as opposed to something like, say, I Am Setsuna.

Not the biggest fan of dragons, elves, dwarves and such (I'm fucking tired of them), but the concept art looks beautiful, so if they manage to get close to that, great. I hope it doesn't have an artstyle similar to the latest Tales of, though, really dislike it for the most part (Vesperia is an exception, but it has more to do with the graphic style and prowess rather the character design, I think).

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I'm glad Square-Enix is trying something new at least. It's long overdue. That would be only reason this project somewhat interests me.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I'm glad Square-Enix is trying something new at least. It's long overdue. That would be only reason this project somewhat interests me.
Indeed. Really liking how we have potentially big new RPG IPs in this and in Tabata's future project. Let the FF, DQ and KH brands breathe a little bit and try to create something that comes close enough in popularity.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Indeed. Really liking how we have potentially big new RPG IPs in this and in Tabata's future project. Let the FF, DQ and KH brands breathe a little bit and try to create something that comes close enough in popularity.
Definitely other series need to shine. I've been playing a lot of older games lately (no idea why) and I've been enjoying many long-lost forgotten gems that don't have the widespread acclaim of current JRPG franchises, but are arguably more deserving of it. So I hope these endeavors by Square-Enix to create new IPs is met with success on a financial and popular level. As long as they are worthy and deserving of it anyway.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Square Enix and Studio Istolia’s Project Prelude Rune announced for PS4.

Hideo Baba said:
Today, at the PlayStation LineUp Tour, we debuted new content that Square Enix Group’s Studio Istolia is working on.

We started from zero and are currently in the middle of development with some way to go, but we are pushing forward to accomplish various new challenges.

Regarding the game’s visual presentation, we are developing the game with a warm, gentle, painting-esque expression. With this artistic direction, we want to depict a fantasy world and a story imbued with themes and messages.

Studio Istolia is launching a new RPG IP in Square Enix Group, and aims to create content that more people can enjoy. Although the road is still long ahead, I would be happy if you could look forward to it.

I look forward to your support of Studio Istolia in the future.

Hideo Baba has resigned from Square Enix in March, no information on the future of Project Prelude Rune or Studio Istolia.

Source: famitsu via ResetERA

EDIT: Fully translated thanks to Gematsu.

“Accompanying the change in Studio Istolia’s management policies, I have resigned as the company’s president as of the end of December 2018, and resigned from Square Enix as of the end of March 2019,” [..] “Thank you again to Square Enix Group for giving me a variety of experience. I will continue to support everyone from behind the scenes, and I sincerly hope for the further growth of Square Enix Group.”
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2019/04/hideo-baba-leaves-studio-istolia-and-square-enix#gh08micH3yQBrxmZ.99
EDIT2: Sounds a bit like what happened with Tabata and Luminous - head leaving, but the studio appears to stay and the project likely isn't canned.

Last edited: