Sora96 prediction: Motomu Toriyama & Yoshinori Kitase are developing Final Fantasy X-3

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
The evidence that supports this keeps adding up.
  • Auron spotted in Final Fantasy VII Remake trailer
  • Motomu Toriyama confirming he is working hard on a new project that will be announced this year.
  • Kazushige Nojima's infamous novella X-2.5
  • Nojima's audio drama that follows X-2.5
  • Nojima admitting he would like to see a X-3
  • X/X-2 HD's amazing sales.
  • X & X/X-2 HD's recent awards
  • Square Enix's quick PlayStation 4 port of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster that still includes the audio drama following all this.
  • Toriyama being on the Final Fantasy Committee*
  • Shintaro Takai, art director of the Final Fantasy X series including X/X-2 HD and Daisuke Watanabe (scenario writer on X & X-2) are both without their names attached to any announced projects.
  • Verendus from NeoGAF believes a X spin-off is in development
  • ff-reunion.net thinks Toriyama is making X-3.
*Motomu Toriyama is a member of the four person Final Fantasy Committee and the other three are in charge of a AAA Final Fantasy title. The main purpose of the committee is according to Kitase "We get together and update each other with current information or issues on our projects. [We] make sure there are no release date overlaps or bug issues." In other words, If Toriyama isn't heavily involved on a new Final Fantasy game it would make no sense for him to be on the committee.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
I'm at a point where I think anything Verendus says is the truth (though he is banned on GAF now?).

So hopefully Ron Paul will be leading us to the X-3 happening bunker soon.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Auron doesn't fold his arms.

Also, this isn't evidence, this is strictly speculation. Even though IF FFX-3 is happening, it's not because of some of the things that took place you've mentioned above.

Other than that, we'll wait and see. I'm not impatient.
I'd say most of it. Square wouldn't start X-3 a decade later without X/X-2 HD doing so well, and obviously key staff like Shintaro Takai and Daisuke Watanabe are kinda needed. Kitase also pretty much confirmed Toriyama's heavily involved in an FF title and we know that's not World of FF, FFXV, Dissidia or FFXIV. So that leaves VII Remake, X-3 and XVI. Lol.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
The evidence that supports this keeps adding up.
I do have to say that guy does resemble Auron.

I wouldn't call that list you have there "evidence" but they are good observations, I think. It is pushing a little but at least it's not completely out of reach, aside from taking a huge risk for Square Enix to bring back a series that is already closed for a long time. But I can definitely see they use the remaster as a test of water to see if they should consider a project related to FFX.

Normally I would have said that "the potential" Auron could have just been an Easter egg or a fan service, but seeing they are doing a FFVII remake and they did bother to put Shinra into X-2 to "hint" a possible connection between FFX and FFVII, it wouldn't be too far fetch to say the remake of FFVII, which I still like to believe it will be an "alternate universe" sort of remake (not 100% plot identical to the original), will have a cameo of Auron. It will be good marketing to say the very least. After all, doesn't matter how many people dislike them, FFVII, FFX and FFVI are likely the three most commercially and critically acclaimed Final Fantasies.

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Could be another spin-off, not just those with what you've listed. This is all speculation as in, this points to "this" so thus, "this" will happen. It's not definite.

I'd rather stick to legitimate leaks rather than speculation.

I can't expect such a game to be announced so soon. And by game, I mean FFX-3. IF announced now, it'll get pummelled by the later mainline upcoming FF games.
Well regardless, Toriyama is directing yet another FF game, this is true. And it'll add to his record amount.

Sep 26, 2013
In regards to Verendus' list, there are two games he can't vouch for. One is a game that is not even in pre-production yet and SCE is trying to get something going. The other is a game for Nintendo NX that hasn't been green lit yet as both parties are still working out the details.

The games he can't vouch for are two of the following.

• New Shadow Hearts
  • Final Fantasy X spin-off
  • FF6 remake
  • New Capcom TPS IP
  • New Prince of Persia
  • New Cyberpunk Action/Adventure/RPG IP
  • New Sega Action/Adventure IP
  • New Marvel Action/Adventure title
  • New Soul Calibur
  • New Rockstar IP
Basically, FFX-3 is either happening or it's a game that is not even in pre-production yet and SCE is trying to get something going. Can't see it having anything to do with Nintendo as FFX has no history with them.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Novella and audio drama clearly indicate that SE wanted to make a sequel (X-3) but the fan backlash they met makes me think it won't happen. The cliffhanger will either remain unresolved (like Dirge of Cerberus) or we'll see another novella. I highly doubt SE would touch this story in a high-budget game. And if FFX spin-off really is coming, I think it's more likely a prequel.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Novella and audio drama clearly indicate that SE wanted to make a sequel (X-3) but the fan backlash they met makes me think it won't happen. The cliffhanger will either remain unresolved (like Dirge of Cerberus) or we'll see another novella. I highly doubt SE would touch this story in a high-budget game. And if FFX spin-off really is coming, I think it's more likely a prequel.
Do you think they really got word of the backlash? I mean Kitase was literally asked by Famitsu about it and they gave it a 30% chance of happening.

They already made it clear a decade ago they didn't want to do a prequel.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Still more evidence than anything else that Toriyama's project is X-3.
Wait, are you for real? I mean, that could perfectly be Auron (which I'm not sure of, but wouldn't be suprising because of his posture and the collar).

But that's just an easter egg for now, like the "Aya" one. Nothing else. No proof whatsoever of X-3. And hey, I think X-3 will probably made sooner than later and if it's done, Toriyama has the biggest chances of directing it. But even that it's also a bit blurry as (someone correct me if I'm wrong) he stated that his game would be revealed this year.

Unless he works on various games (smartphone games... or even VIIR, for example), no way X-3, if already in development, is revealed this year. That is, it could be a relatively small and low-budgeted title, but even then... Also, didn't you also think Toriyama was VIIR's Event Director? lol.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Wait, are you for real? I mean, that could perfectly be Auron (which I'm not sure of, but wouldn't be suprising because of his posture and the collar).

But that's just an easter egg for now, like the "Aya" one. Nothing else. No proof whatsoever of X-3. And hey, I think X-3 will probably made sooner than later and if it's done, Toriyama has the biggest chances of directing it. But even that it's also a bit blurry as (someone correct me if I'm wrong) he stated that his game would be revealed this year.

Unless he works on various games (smartphone games... or even VIIR, for example), no way X-3, if already in development, is revealed this year. That is, it could be a relatively small and low-budgeted title, but even then... Also, didn't you also think Toriyama was VIIR's Event Director? lol.
  • Motomu Toriyama confirming he is working hard on a new project that will be announced this year.
  • Nojima admitting he would like to see a X-3
  • X/X-2 HD's amazing sales.
  • X & X/X-2 HD's recent awards
  • Square Enix's quick PlayStation 4 port of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster that still includes the audio drama following all this.
  • Toriyama being on the Final Fantasy Committee*
  • Shintaro Takai, art director of the Final Fantasy X series including X/X-2 HD and Daisuke Watanabe (scenario writer on X & X-2) are both without their names attached to any announced projects.
  • Verendus from NeoGAF believes a X spin-off is in development
  • ff-reunion.net thinks Toriyama is making X-3.
*Motomu Toriyama is a member of the four person Final Fantasy Committee and the other three are in charge of a AAA Final Fantasy title. The main purpose of the committee is according to Kitase "We get together and update each other with current information or issues on our projects. [We] make sure there are no release date overlaps or bug issues." In other words, If Toriyama isn't heavily involved on a new Final Fantasy game it would make no sense for him to be on the committee.

Toriyama directed two DS games whilst directing XIII and working on the scenario/story for various titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.