Consumer brawn over logic.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
Just a time filler post.
Share any comments made by consumers that goes against the laws of logic and is just complete whack.

Consumer ''brawn'' because they lack brains to speak logic. #consumerbrawn

Here's what I ran into today...

In relation to the Kingsglaive movie.
''yeah you made a full cgi film but skimped out on the ACTUAL GAME THAT MATTERS. the movie should have just been part of the game, it would have felt more complete.''

Hmm. Yeah. Why don't we cut out a few contents or chapters to put that in. Real fine.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
i don't know if this applies here but everytime someone blames the regalia-F controls for their game overs I cringe

for me it's clearly a question of learning/skill

i crashed a few times in the beginning, but now i don't crash any single time anymore when i fly (for reference, i got in and out of pitioss road in my first attempt) if this was a controls problem that wouldn't be the case.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
i don't know if this applies here but everytime someone blames the regalia-F controls for their game overs I cringe

i crashed a few times in the beginning, but now i don't crash any single time anymore when i fly (for reference, i got in and out of pitioss road in my first attempt) if this was a controls problem that wouldn't be the case.
I haven't flown the Regalia yet, but I sort of get the impression that Tabata made a bunch of Ueda-style "deal with it" decisions that people are less willing to forgive in a game that isn't explicitly being framed as an art house game.

The most obvious, of course, is "It's okay if it's empty," where he specifically referenced Ueda's Shadow of the Colossus when justifying the decision to make an open world that could have ended up too large to fill with meaningful content. But the game's controls tend to operate similarly -- while FFXV retains more industry standards than The Last Guardian does (jump on X, lol), it's similarly willing to leave its nuances opaque and force players to adjust to its own internal logic even if that isn't initially intuitive.

The Regalia in particular seems to have controls that are intended to reflect the way it feels to travel by road or air rather than to be inherently fun. Most of the time, driving down a highway in real life does feel like being on autopilot, while flying an aircraft as an amateur probably would feel risky and terrifying. xD

And, of course, later chapters in the game take that even further and just start throwing a bunch of mechanical middle fingers at you as things start getting bad in the story.

It's easy to blame Chapter 13 on either incompetence or last minute padding, but Chapter 10 pulls a lot of the same tricks in a way that makes its thumbing of the nose practically undeniable. It slows you down to a crawl and guilt trips you when you're still not slow enough, while forcing a bunch of backtracking. It offers food options that are both useless and downright depressing. It permanently takes away important gameplay mechanics (Regroup is the single most useful ally technique in the game =( ). It replaces field banter with griping and ups the aggression in combat banter to bring the mood down further. And it takes an entertaining daily ritual -- Prompto's photos -- and subverts it completely, shortly before removing it for the remainder of the story (at least until it's brought back in an even more depressing context).

Chapters 11, 12, and 14/15 have some cool set pieces to counteract the misery, but it still kind of feels like the game hates you after things go down in Altissia. Perception of time is completely skewed by massively-shrunk chapter lengths (apart from the interminable Chapter 13) and the devaluation of the day-night cycle. Characters and locations you've been looking forward to seeing are almost universally dead or destroyed when you reach them and you're left to piece together what happened in the aftermath. The Regalia is totalled after one last chance to use it. Chapter 13 is a level designed by a sadist in-universe and appears to have been designed accordingly, complete with a limited move set, an unpleasant atmosphere, reduced movement speed, and a Hope Spot halfway through that's immediately crushed. Camping changes from a moment to relax and reflect to just one more way to demonstrate how far out of Noct's control his life has spiraled (and after Chapter 10, IIRC, cooking only shows up once more before the game ends). The World of Ruin offers a "run two miles while fending off daemon attacks" objective that seems completely plausible given the game's known proclivities before going full "look, don't touch" and offering no in-universe options whatsoever beyond compelling Noct forward to his imminent death. And even Insomnia -- the city we've been looking forward to visiting for a decade -- doesn't offer much in the way of options if you aren't massively over-leveled.

Some of that comes down to budget limitations, of course, but it sort of seems like the game decided that if it couldn't satisfy the audience's expectations, it'd just willfully and aggressively deny them as a means by which to put the audience on the same level as Noct.

Playing all of the later chapters in one day evoked a ton of negative emotions, but it was one heck of an experience because of it. It's just too AAA and too flawed in other ways for that to be seen as intentional. xD

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Not knowing when to use magic.

Like really... that's a strategy and intuitive thing.

Such a weird ass complaint.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016

Agreed.

I crashed once just to test it. But after learning how it works I didn't crash again.

It's about timing and patience.

It's a case of "blame the game when the player is just bad and complaining just for the sake of it."

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
>"Why do they use paper to communicate when they have smartphones" (referring Noct and Luna i believe)
>"Why do they ride a car/chocobos when airships exist"

Oh yes, why bother playing it safe with the diary delivery + dog method when you can use a device that has high chances of getting easily confiscated by Nifilheim (considering Tenebrae's situation) should they find out the prince of Lucis is in her contact list...

Not giving name but i actually saw these complaints on my twitter timeline from a certain someone, my head.

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Yeah, i'd like to wish i never read that. >_<

Though going by that certain someone's history prior to XV's release, it honestly didn't surprise me.

Never understood why some people who've already made up their mind that the game would be terrible no matter what would bother buying it anyway.

There was also another complaint i saw about enemies giving not giving out EXP, needing to camp to level up, and calling it an "action game with FF name tacked on".

The lack of prior research is astounding.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
It will never be in production.
Hey in 20 years from now he could get a remake!! But in all seriousness, I do find it possible if Square gets good lifetime sales of FFXV and decide to milk it, but apart from that your probably right.
I mean considering the way the game ended Square aren't able to make sequels from it, so if anything a Versus XV would be created so they can have at least 3 games, maybe even a prequel from the FFXV mythos. I mean I wouldn't put it past them, I don't see them just dropping this universe or mythos after FFXV.

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
No need, if anything it'll help expose your naivety across the internet to others more easily than before. ;)

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
This particular complaint triggers my nerves (this appliable to any game).

"The game doesn't allow me to play this way or the other"

Like this game and others have their particular(s) gameplay mechanique rules and logic and the consumer dismiss it for not following the style they like. One thing is dismissing certain game mechaniques for not being well developed (or the game not following its own internal logic) and another completely different is dismissing them for just not alligning with your taste.