Everything FFXV Datamining Related

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
The dream segments were all the Luna cutscenes; we were probably going to get an info dump in the Forest of Memories, seeing the memories of Regis and Luna as well as a memory hidden away in his mind; Regis cutscenes were most likely going to be insight into Kingsglaive or the events of EP: Ardyn, and Luna cutscenes were all of her scenes that were flashbacks in the game. Noctis was going to remember his time with Luna, his time with Regis which he does in the main game but they're brief flashes showing Ardyn's presence in their lives before he wakes up (presumably these three flashbacks were added because they couldn't add the Forest of Memories). The Forest of Memories, a place he accesses only in his dreams, seems to be the same forest from Platinum Demo wherein he discovered Carbuncle. Umbra having the Astral Memory, allowing Noctis to visit his memories seems like the compromise they made. Noct may have also seen the Dawn footage, as he was getting Regis and Luna's memories; he'd have seen how Niflheim treated her after they invaded, he'd have seen his father's reaction to him being chosen. With this new perspective, he wakes up determined and a changed man with a broader understanding of what he must do. The DLC itself seemed like it was simply going to explain the phantom wedding scene, as in death they are united, a place we were to explore with Luna in her DLC.
that makes a lot of sense actually, damn shame we never got the Forest of memories.

Jun 3, 2018
that makes a lot of sense actually, damn shame we never got the Forest of memories.
Umbra also used to have a human form; presumably Umbra would have allowed Noctis to access his dreams and memories via the Astrals memory, and his human form is how he appeared in dreams. It's strange Pryna dies as Luna does, passing on a vision to Ignis that Luna may have seen herself of Noctis' fate. Umbra being connected to Noctis, even appearing during his phantom wedding and coronation. I'm curious as to where Odin would have been in the story. This part eludes me.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Umbra also used to have a human form; presumably Umbra would have allowed Noctis to access his dreams and memories via the Astrals memory, and his human form is how he appeared in dreams. It's strange Pryna dies as Luna does, passing on a vision to Ignis that Luna may have seen herself of Noctis' fate. Umbra being connected to Noctis, even appearing during his phantom wedding and coronation. I'm curious as to where Odin would have been in the story. This part eludes me.
Umbra would have been part of an elite of ninjas which became the Kingsglaive elite we know today and be a playable character, I remember Roberto Ferrari commenting about it on his facebook. In fact the masks the glaives wear gives that vibe, also if you look at his costume design, it does have some level of semblance to Nyx.

Jun 3, 2018
Umbra would have been part of an elite of ninjas which became the Kingsglaive elite we know today and be a playable character, I remember Roberto Ferrari commenting about it on his facebook. In fact the masks the glaives wear gives that vibe, also if you look at his costume design, it does have some level of semblance to Nyx.
The ninja village does have its home as Glaives, but Umbra was special from the beginning. Whose to say the ninja with their ties to the Forest of Memories are why they can access the king's magic? Nyx has a wolf-based last name, if anything Umbra was to be Noct's vehicle to his true memories so he understood everything. Pryna even appeared in Prompto's dreams after she died; say Umbra was replaced by Nyx and was to die, perhaps the dog was his new avatar in the physical world. The art of Umbra and Noct talking has trees in the background, harkening to the Forest of Memories. Umbra was Noct's messenger, sending him his memories, other people's memories and was his line to Luna. Pryna contained Luna's message for Ignis before dying, only appearing in Prompto's dream after.

Black doggo and white doggo seem to be the host of Noct and Luna's memories, and in the world of dreams, Noctis would presumably find Pryna, who is only in dreams now, and witness the memories of his time with Luna, and her perspective and struggle. Umbra as human may have delved into Regis.

Apr 23, 2018
My theory is that pretty much everything about the Ninjas was dropped in XV besides the idea of having a group of Ninja-like warriors helping the Lucii. I figure the Ninja village did have a larger role in Nomura's version since he seemed fixated on sleep and dreams, something that was mostly left out of XV on launch to keep it simple given the limited dev time. Maybe Glauca would've massacred the village to stop them helping Noctis unlock his true power? Maybe they were like sages that would help Noctis and Stella access the dream world?

I think rather than being Shiva and a bunch of Astral Messengers, Gentiana, Umbra and Pryna were all a part of the Ninja Village culture and were neutral in the war between Lucis and Niflheim. We know Gentiana was Stella/Luna's messenger and a contact point between the two nations originally, and the dataminers discovered the Ninja Village files alongside Stella and Lupus/Ravus, meaning they possibly visited the place too. Given the Ninjas ability to transform into animals and navigate dreams, their role in the story was likely to be tied heavily to all of that complex dream/death stuff, so I can understand why it would be omitted entirely.

So in the end, it's possible the roles of these characters was reduced in XV, with Gentiana being merged with Shiva to make her more relevant to the new story, since she was a fan favorite and like Stella they didn't want to completely omit the character in XV. Umbra and Pryna got very small roles as messengers and never turn human, the Ninja element really only survived visually through the Kingslaive, unless Umbra was part of an order that served the Kingdom of Lucis like I said. The only reason I think Gentiana had a connection with the Ninja's is because she's always around Umbra and Pryna in XV and she has a kimono-style outfit which doesn't fit Tenebrae or even Lucis that much, it's more traditional and we know in concept art she had the samurai style look with Stella too. But that's just my two cents, some food for thought maybe...

Jun 3, 2018
I'm traveling out of bounds to find something new, 10 GB update + 6 GB for the DLC are too much in my opinion, I think there's something new hidden for sure, btw data miners should find more interesting things these days.. mmh
If it were possible to travel to the crystal, I bet we'd trigger all kinds of outdated beta cutscenes.

FFXV reminds me of Ocarina of Time, another favourite game of mine. Both have a similar development cycle it seems and have various interesting noteworthy elements from beta days that didn't make it into the final. I don't have the PC version but apparently there was a mod that restored Episode Duscae graphics settings. I wonder if anybody has tried to do the entire game yet; I wonder what it'd look like.

IwakuraLain

PSICOM Soldier
Mar 20, 2018
I'm traveling out of bounds to find something new, 10 GB update + 6 GB for the DLC are too much in my opinion, I think there's something new hidden for sure, btw data miners should find more interesting things these days.. mmh
There's nothing really out of bounds. Using cheat engine I checked out Episode Ardyn and aside from finding the tunnel in which the car travels in the intro, there's really nothing. Collision is also pretty much non-existent. It's better to use something like Noesis to go through the game files themselves.

If it were possible to travel to the crystal, I bet we'd trigger all kinds of outdated beta cutscenes.

FFXV reminds me of Ocarina of Time, another favourite game of mine. Both have a similar development cycle it seems and have various interesting noteworthy elements from beta days that didn't make it into the final. I don't have the PC version but apparently there was a mod that restored Episode Duscae graphics settings. I wonder if anybody has tried to do the entire game yet; I wonder what it'd look like.
>I bet we'd trigger all kinds of outdated beta cutscenes.
Unfortunately that's not really how the engine works. It'll only trigger cutscenes or load areas when they are supposed to be there. For example, you can go OOB in Cartanica and walk to Tenebrae or Gralea, but they won't be there, just an empty landscape and some train tracks.
>there was a mod that restored Episode Duscae graphics settings
It wasn't actually a mod, it was part of the debug binary that was leaked shortly after release. The settings are still technically in the game (or at least they were when that build was released), but you would need to find a way to trigger it without the debug menu which, for the same reason as before, isn't easily do-able. You would need to decompile and recompile files that (as far as I know) we currently can't modify.

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018

I don't know how the scenes within the crystal work in the main game but in Episode Ardyn it's simply a sphere that appears high above the citadel, similar to how the menu's hallway environment spawns high above wherever you are in the world. Can check this using ansel on PC. Soooooo pretty sure going there somehow wouldn't trigger anything.

Jun 3, 2018
There's nothing really out of bounds. Using cheat engine I checked out Episode Ardyn and aside from finding the tunnel in which the car travels in the intro, there's really nothing. Collision is also pretty much non-existent. It's better to use something like Noesis to go through the game files themselves.

>I bet we'd trigger all kinds of outdated beta cutscenes.
Unfortunately that's not really how the engine works. It'll only trigger cutscenes or load areas when they are supposed to be there. For example, you can go OOB in Cartanica and walk to Tenebrae or Gralea, but they won't be there, just an empty landscape and some train tracks.
>there was a mod that restored Episode Duscae graphics settings
It wasn't actually a mod, it was part of the debug binary that was leaked shortly after release. The settings are still technically in the game (or at least they were when that build was released), but you would need to find a way to trigger it without the debug menu which, for the same reason as before, isn't easily do-able. You would need to decompile and recompile files that (as far as I know) we currently can't modify.
I meant moreso travelling the environment; even on the world map there are leftovers of beta layouts, perhaps within the environment of the crystal there'd be more. Lots of times assets are stored elsewhere and within the game itself we have old data that's present but without triggers or any events corresponding to them.

That said someone else pointed out that the area is simply loaded elsewhere in the same environment, so running into beta locations, assets or even planned future assets would be harder for the crystal. Plus there's still so much we don't know; a future art book would definitely help clarify. As for the mod, yeah it's been a while; an internal setting may clash with assets that were never made for the environment. The water in Episode Ardyn looks real nice, not at all featuring the fading bug that plagues the open world waters.

IwakuraLain

PSICOM Soldier
Mar 20, 2018
Was going through some of the files in Noesis and I found this little easter egg. The main texture is the one we see in the final game, but the specular map shows something different. You can find it in \datas\environment\props\in_ar_build01\sourceimages\autoexternal\environment\insomnia\props\in_ar_build01\ and the file in particular is in_ar_build01_window_04_second_mro_$h.btex

Main Texture:

Specular Map:

Makes me wonder how long this has been here considering it still has the old Versus logo.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Was going through some of the files in Noesis and I found this little easter egg. The main texture is the one we see in the final game, but the specular map shows something different. You can find it in \datas\environment\props\in_ar_build01\sourceimages\autoexternal\environment\insomnia\props\in_ar_build01\ and the file in particular is in_ar_build01_window_04_second_mro_$h.btex

Main Texture:

Specular Map:

Makes me wonder how long this has been here considering it still has the old Versus logo.
I wonder what the text says under the Versus logo. That was weird to see.

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018

Main Texture:

Specular Map:

Excellent find!

IwakuraLain

PSICOM Soldier
Mar 20, 2018
Got bored with the lack of any new FFXV news (that level editor is still coming, right Square? :banghead:) so I decided to spend an hour or two looking into the Platinum Demo files and I found a few interesting textures. Apologies if they've been found and posted already, but I've never seen them so hopefully they're new.
First up is the peace treaty poster that was prominent in the 2013 gameplay videos and 2015 SMU presentation artwork:
I really wish they kept these in the game because I always thought they looked really cool hanging from the Citadel and around Insomnia, though admittedly I guess there's never a point in which you'd see them anyway. The ones in Episode Ardyn look so bland though so maybe I'll replace their textures when I get around to it. :p

Next is an old version of The Galdin Beacon (not sure if this is new):
It lacks some of the images and the top left corner looks like a beta version of Lestallum. The final version looks like this for reference.

Here are what Insomnia's signal lights would have looked like:
No Cactuar walk signal unfortunately. Also can't remember if they used that modified katakana in the final release.

This is what I really wanted to post though. These next few textures are all associated with "builh" (building(s) h presumably?) in Insomnia. The final build doesn't include this specific building(s) as far as I can tell and until Noesis supports Platinum Demo models, there's no way of knowing what "builh" is supposed to look like (I'm not even sure if there is one).

They are all found under ./environment/insomnia/props/in_te_oto01/materials/in_builh* The last one is probably the most curious and can be found specifically in ./environment/insomnia/props/in_te_oto01/materials/in_builh_main01shader0_mt_$h_files/environment/insomnia/props/in_te_oto01/sourceimages/. I've also attached a normal map rather for the fourth image than the regular texture as it's easier to see.
The first one is called "st_wall_center01", the remaining all include "hashira" (collumn/pillar) in the name, but other than that I have no idea what these would be for. The last one is creepy as FUCK and looks like it'd belong better in Pitioss rather than Insomnia.
I'd love to read what you guys think though - and who the hell is the fat guy in the normal map??

Last edited:

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
My god, this is the reason why i still love this game.
It's soo deep, everytime i see new unseen artwork or anything else i just wish we got the original story of Versus/XV.

Like this, the two pictures to the left looks like cg of the invasion and i think it was supposed to be in the game like the one of Vestael (it also appeared in the e3 2013 trailer).
What does it actually shows this "new" scene?
6ws2ppphq.jpeg

damn cool finds, almost sure ive seen that West Insomnia sign board in a past Versus footage.
share if you find anything else!
You're right about that West Insomnia sign board. ;P

IwakuraLain

PSICOM Soldier
Mar 20, 2018
View attachment 1172
The top one is showing the imperial invasion of Insomnia. You can see part of it in the Jump Festa 2015 trailer. It was likely cut because of Kingsglaive and also this scene takes place in the late afternoon/early evening in the final draft rather than at night. I'm not 100% on what the bottom one shows.

You're right about that West Insomnia sign board. ;P
Thank you. I was fairly certain I had seen it in Versus media somewhere, but I wasn't positive.

damn cool finds, almost sure ive seen that West Insomnia sign board in a past Versus footage.
share if you find anything else!
Will do. What's there is really only a tiny fraction. It'd be great if one day PD and Duscae assets could be imported into the final game, but they run on older versions of Luminous Engine so we'd need better tools to get it done.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018

Main Texture:

Specular Map:

what the hell haha xD
i have no idea why those would be on insomnia's city walls...they're promos for game not fake ads xD i wonder what they say tho... idk japanese :<