Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From what I looked up, each game entry of the .hack were released once every couple of months. I'm not sure how each game lasted given that I haven't played those games myself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.hack_(video_game_series)
.hack games were about 30-40 hours each, G.U. clocked in at about 40-50 hours, each depending on how much of each game's content you want to complete pre-transfer. So about the length of, say, Chrono Trigger. Games felt very long though, both the Aura quadrilogy and the G.U. trilogy dragged massively.

I'm sure you find it difficult to translate the concept of FFVII being extended into several entries.
Very much so. I'm also curious about how the extra content will play out - add stuff to the lore and world in general or is it just - I dare say it - padding?

Last edited:

Nora_Nightingale

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 7, 2015
I generally think this is a bad idea. .hack despite being a huge Meta series, the games less memorable. For ff7 I'm sure it will get more success than .hack, but at the same time, I do think this will hinder the series. Their playing it like a business model and doing things most companies won't dare to do.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I'm okay with it being split up but I have to wonder how they will divide it. I can predict the midgar part being its own installment, since it wraps up nicely and you don't go back for a long, long time once you do leave.

After that, though, I'm not so sure. The next part where I really feel there is a good resting point is the end of disc 1 but I think that's too long. Hmm

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I generally think this is a bad idea. .hack despite being a huge Meta series, the games less memorable. For ff7 I'm sure it will get more success than .hack, but at the same time, I do think this will hinder the series. Their playing it like a business model and doing things most companies won't dare to do.
Most companies definitely would do this, the cost of producing video games goes up and the retail price stays the same. Entitled gamers don't want to pay more, so things like DLC, season passes and micro transactions have become the norm.

Last edited:

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
I-was-just-discussing-this-with-my-friends.-What-if-they-end-the-first-part-in-Junon,-then-end-the-second-part-in-either-gongaga-or-the-golden-saucer,-part-3-would-end-when-the-original-disc-1-ended,-and-so-on.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
^the problem with that is, unless they make major changes to the story, the pacing would be all messed up. What happens in Junon that feels like closure and/or a lead in to make the player want to get the next chapter?

Though yeah I wouldn't want disc 1 to be split into more than 3 parts if possible. Depends on how quickly they can get stuff out; I don't want the project to take 10 years to complete. Also nothing really happens on disc 3 (aside from the ending scene) so hopefully all that gets put in an episode with disc 2 content.

May 26, 2014
They could easily end one of the parts at the end of the first visit to Cosmo Canyon. Not because it's super relevant to the overall plot, but just because it's one of the most memorable scenes from the game.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
SE will know best when to split up the parts, the pacing that Naphtali suggested would be atrocious though. The GameXplain video is cool but they got a few things wrong.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
They only thing should worry about is whether or not they will inject padding in the section of the story they choosed to split up, in order to archive the "each part will have the value of a full size game".

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
They only thing should worry about is whether or not they will inject padding in the section of the story they choosed to split up, in order to archive the "each part will have the value of a full size game".
They can flesh out the story a lot more than it was presented in the original game. The pacing in the original is fine but they skip over a lot of detail that could be done better in the remake in many ways. I don't think you need to worry about padding, there's a lot there to work with already.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I would expect previously optional quests like recruiting Yuffie and Vincent and everything related to them (Wutai and Lucrecia's cave) to be made compulsory, and therefore fleshed out more and focused on, to add some extra story. Definitely think Wutai needs expanding on, and Vincent for sure could do with more than just a flashback of Lucrecia. Perhaps some Angeal and Genesis stuff could be thrown in, or other plot points from Crisis Core; there's no way they can ignore all that.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I was a bit surprised that they're going to split FFVII but I don't think it's either good or bad. It all depends on how they handle the split. First and foremost, I believe that dividing it into more than three parts would not only be a commercial suicide but also very negatively impact the game's quality. Even after expanding it with all the new details, you can only stretch this story so much without bogging it down. For the same reason, I think each part is going to have about 20-25 hours of the main story (or even less). I know many fans will cry that it's too short, but remember that Chrono Trigger, one of the most beloved RPGs of all time, was also this short.

Now about how I'd like the games split:
First game I'm okay with being only/mostly Midgar. This is the part I think will be expanded most. There are two points when it could potentially end: one is obviously right after leaving Midgar, the other is in Kalm. Journey to Kalm could serve as a sort of epilogue to the game, with the change of pace and seeing the barren fields surrounding the city slowly give way to greener areas. Also the flashback introducing the main villain would bring a nice closure to the first part, while giving the player a taste of what's to come next.
Second game could end after Aerith's "incident", but I think it's too early. A better point would be Northern crater, after the story fully unravels and all the plot twists that take place. It would end with a great cliffhanger with the party barely making it out alive, Sephy summoning the meteor, Cloud falling into the Lifestream, Weapons, etc. It would also nicely lead into the...
Third and last game, where the part you play as Tifa could serve as a nice prologue. It's also the moment you get Highwind and the game world becomes fully open, so it makes sense gameplay-wise to make the split here. This part would last until the end of the story, of course.

Nora_Nightingale

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 7, 2015
Most companies definitely would do this, the cost of producing video games goes up and the retail price stays the same. Entitled gamers don't want to pay more, so things like DLC, season passes and micro transactions have become the norm.
When it comes to the right genre, season pass can work.

Its not just about paying more, it's hindering the experience.