Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
reading some translated bits of the livestream

the excerpts of Lunas section of the book are all about her moping about Noctis, as expected lol.

and as I imagined, Ep Noctis was also going to focus on the time he spent sleeping in the crystal, some dialogue was found in the datamine suggesting it was planned to be in the main game then removed. It was always clear Noctis came out of the crystal with a deeper understanding of the situation, which explains his resolve and maturity.

Ep Aranea was supposed to be even more action based than the main game and that spear in the artwork would be her main weapon in the dlc.

Last edited:

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
Fun fact: I just discovered that if you use Legacy of The Lucii against Ardyn after he's hit the point where he's low enough on HP to start the next phase of the battle Noctis will finish by posing with a weapon in your current equipped set, rather than the Engine Blade. If you have a favorite weapon (mine is this modded Excalibur that LeonBlade modeled, thanks again) you can get some cool screenshots of Noctis (or avatara) doing the iconic pose with it.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
*The name "Izunia" is basically passed off as "Ardyn's absorbed so many memories he can barely recognise his own existence by that point", to paraphrase.
*The "Submit to Fate" ending is confirmed as the DLC's canon ending leading into XV. The "Resist" ending would've led into the future DLC and will be the path taken by the novel.
Ok that's a copout answer to the Izunia name. Before it was his original name before the Lucis Caelum name was bestowed, and now they change it again?

Yeah you can tell the submit to fate ending was canon. I said this earlier. It explained his rage against everyone and everything, why he let Noctis win (come on, from what we saw, Ardyn would pulverize Noctis lol), and why he stabbed Luna without any remorse.

He wins through and through if he submits. I doubt he wanted to live forever, and he knew that was what was going to happen if he resisted.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Ok that's a copout answer to the Izunia name. Before it was his original name before the Lucis Caelum name was bestowed, and now they change it again?

Yeah you can tell the submit to fate ending was canon. I said this earlier. It explained his rage against everyone and everything, why he let Noctis win (come on, from what we saw, Ardyn would pulverize Noctis lol), and why he stabbed Luna without any remorse.

He wins through and through if he submits. I doubt he wanted to live forever, and he knew that was what was going to happen if he resisted.
The Izunia explanation is honestly the only thing they could have come up with to explain the localization discrepancies. XD;

As for Ardyn submitting, he says in the credits that he intends to kill the True King and bring about everlasting darkness, so I don't think we're meant to see him as getting what he wants either way. The difference is primarily in how vicious Bahamut gets with him, not the final outcome of Ardyn's mental state.

(Though I suppose it could be that part of Ardyn was willing to submit and the other part couldn't stand to let Bahamut succeed? I guess that could be a possible difference too, if "reject your fate" Ardyn has completely squelched the part of himself that was willing to die.)

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
The Izunia explanation is honestly the only thing they could have come up with to explain the localization discrepancies. XD;

As for Ardyn submitting, he says in the credits that he intends to kill the True King and bring about everlasting darkness, so I don't think we're meant to see him as getting what he wants either way. The difference is primarily in how vicious Bahamut gets with him, not the final outcome of Ardyn's mental state.

(Though I suppose it could be that part of Ardyn was willing to submit and the other part couldn't stand to let Bahamut succeed? I guess that could be a possible difference too, if "reject your fate" Ardyn has completely squelched the part of himself that was willing to die.)
What doesn't make sense about the Izunia explanation is that the name Ardyn Izunia was uttered before he turned evil and decided to walk the path of vengeance.

At the beginning of the Episode, when he wakes up and makes his way to meet Verstael in his fancy dining room, the teleprompter said "Ardyn Izunia, please report to Verstael immediately" or something along those lines. This explanation doesn't make sense, and seems like a last minute retcon.

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
Hate to say this but for me XV got the best summons/astrals/aeons/gfs design in the franchise. Super thank you @Loganight for the ansel pics! :)
Thanks for taking the time to check them out! I agree, Ifrit is my favorite summon in the franchise and I absolutely love this game's take on him. I also love how different Bahamut is, as well as him aging up Noctis being a callback to his debut in FF1 where he'd make the party grow up and change into stronger versions of their jobs. All around they just did a really good job with the summons in XV, from their massive scale to how interwoven they are with the world and its lore, it's perfect.

Apr 13, 2018
Thanks for taking the time to check them out! I agree, Ifrit is my favorite summon in the franchise and I absolutely love this game's take on him. I also love how different Bahamut is, as well as him aging up Noctis being a callback to his debut in FF1 where he'd make the party grow up and change into stronger versions of their jobs. All around they just did a really good job with the summons in XV, from their massive scale to how interwoven they are with the world and its lore, it's perfect.
Yeah man. Bahamut and Ifrit is always my fave summon, FFX and VIII's design was my top fave before but now XV's design sits on top.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
What doesn't make sense about the Izunia explanation is that the name Ardyn Izunia was uttered before he turned evil and decided to walk the path of vengeance.

At the beginning of the Episode, when he wakes up and makes his way to meet Verstael in his fancy dining room, the teleprompter said "Ardyn Izunia, please report to Verstael immediately" or something along those lines. This explanation doesn't make sense, and seems like a last minute retcon.
Well, the explanation doesn't contradict the possibility that Verstael invented the name and Ardyn simply forgot that that was where it came from. Or, alternatively, he could have gotten the name from the first Crownsguard soldier he daemonified after Verstael freed him, muttered it in front of Verstael, and ended up branded with that name in lieu of a better (i.e. non-Lucis Caelum) option.

Feb 19, 2018

I think in that particular moment (due to the hurt being so fresh) and on the surface in general he displays strong feelings of wanting to fuck everyone over but in the end deep down he's also probably just tired and wants it to end and I don't think Ardyn really gives a shit as to how it ends by the time he faces Noct. Under all the layers of trauma there's gotta be a glimmer of the old Ardyn who just wants to move on and rest considering that even after the 2,000 year imprisonment he was still thanking the gods for the food on his plate and objecting to Verstael's suggestions of revenge. It isn't until after Verstael relentlessly egging him on and his fight with Ifrit digging up all of his repressed trauma that he begins to indulge in the idea of revenge again.

He seems like he's just doing everything just for the sake of doing it and getting it over with by the end. Considering it's been like 40 years since Bahamut's revelation to him when the main game happens his rage probably isn't burning as intensely as it used to in Episode Ardyn. Even the most petty person's anger eventually subsides with enough time.

The reason I say this is because:

1) Despite him seemingly declaring that he hates Aera for lying, when the moment comes to kill Luna (who looks just like Aera) he shows some hesitation when she starts speaking to him and he has what seems like a moment of self reflection but of course he's too far gone at that point and he's gotta see things through so he slaps her aside and puts on the villainous madman facade again and pushes onward.

2) Despite saying he'll lure out Noct and kill him Ardyn doesn't strike him down the first chance he gets in order send a big old "fuck you" to Bahamut which would be the most logical course of action for someone who doesn't want to play by the rules anymore. Yet despite the fact that at the end of Episode Ardyn he never makes mention of wanting to fight Noctis at full power he still helps him out a great deal and I think it's fair to say that without Ardyn intervening at certain key moments Noct would've never even made it to Altissia let alone to the Crystal. He doesn't ever go out of his way to kill the bros either and none of their major injuries are inflicted by him. He just torments them enough to spur Noct on but right up until the final fight he never kills them to try and break Noct despite it being really easy for him to do so. Even Luna can't be considered a direct kill of his as a stab wound in the stomach can be treated if given care in time. Luna's death actually comes at the hands of Leviathan's temper tantrum. Really, Ravus is the only one he actually ends up killing with his own hands out of the whole main cast. Everyone else is just a casualty of Bahamut's plan to have him spread the plague until Noct stops him.

3) Lastly, in his final moments there seems to be a mutual unspoken understanding between the him and Noctis. He even courteously greets Noctis in the afterlife before the final blow and goes from the physical world rather peacefully too. That, to me, screams that he's ok with just going at that point regardless of whether he won or lost in the end.

Just like people in real life I think Ardyn had a lot of clashing feelings and despite him outwardly becoming the villain everyone wanted him to be I don't think the gentle soul of a healer every truly left him, it just got buried under a shit ton of baggage. Think of it like Darth Vader being angry his whole life and his rage being the strongest when he was first betrayed but deep down Anakin still lives even if barely. In the end those little bits of Anakin Skywalker shine through again when he meets Luke but despite him wanting to be with his son he continues on his dark path because that's what the world turned him into and he's too far gone to really turn back from it all so he suppresses it until the final moments where he's just so tired from it all that he goes out being his old self again. Ardyn's old self shines also through ever so slightly as the story begins reaching its end imo and by the time of the final blow I think he's not going out as the King of Darkness anymore but as tired old Ardyn.

Also just my personal head canon but I'd like to believe that the alternate title screen after completing Episode Ardyn is him finally having his peace with Aera in the afterlife just like Noctis and Luna. Both of them are even sleeping together as a parallel to Noct and Luna.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I think in that particular moment (due to the hurt being so fresh) and on the surface in general he displays strong feelings of wanting to fuck everyone over but in the end deep down he's also probably just tired and wants it to end and I don't think Ardyn really gives a shit as to how it ends by the time he faces Noct. Under all the layers of trauma there's gotta be a glimmer of the old Ardyn who just wants to move on and rest considering that even after the 2,000 year imprisonment he was still thanking the gods for the food on his plate and objecting to Verstael's suggestions of revenge. It isn't until after Verstael relentlessly egging him on and his fight with Ifrit digging up all of his repressed trauma that he begins to indulge in the idea of revenge again.

He seems like he's just doing everything just for the sake of doing it and getting it over with by the end. Considering it's been like 40 years since Bahamut's revelation to him when the main game happens his rage probably isn't burning as intensely as it used to in Episode Ardyn. Even the most petty person's anger eventually subsides with enough time.

The reason I say this is because:

1) Despite him seemingly declaring that he hates Aera for lying, when the moment comes to kill Luna (who looks just like Aera) he shows some hesitation when she starts speaking to him and he has what seems like a moment of self reflection but of course he's too far gone at that point and he's gotta see things through so he slaps her aside and puts on the villainous madman facade again and pushes onward.

2) Despite saying he'll lure out Noct and kill him Ardyn doesn't strike him down the first chance he gets in order send a big old "fuck you" to Bahamut which would be the most logical course of action for someone who doesn't want to play by the rules anymore. Yet despite the fact that at the end of Episode Ardyn he never makes mention of wanting to fight Noctis at full power he still helps him out a great deal and I think it's fair to say that without Ardyn intervening at certain key moments Noct would've never even made it to Altissia let alone to the Crystal. He doesn't ever go out of his way to kill the bros either and none of their major injuries are inflicted by him. He just torments them enough to spur Noct on but right up until the final fight he never kills them to try and break Noct despite it being really easy for him to do so. Even Luna can't be considered a direct kill of his as a stab wound in the stomach can be treated if given care in time. Luna's death actually comes at the hands of Leviathan's temper tantrum. Really, Ravus is the only one he actually ends up killing with his own hands out of the whole main cast. Everyone else is just a casualty of Bahamut's plan to have him spread the plague until Noct stops him.

3) Lastly, in his final moments there seems to be a mutual unspoken understanding between the him and Noctis. He even courteously greets Noctis in the afterlife before the final blow and goes from the physical world rather peacefully too. That, to me, screams that he's ok with just going at that point regardless of whether he won or lost in the end.

Just like people in real life I think Ardyn had a lot of clashing feelings and despite him outwardly becoming the villain everyone wanted him to be I don't think the gentle soul of a healer every truly left him, it just got buried under a shit ton of baggage. Think of it like Darth Vader being angry his whole life and his rage being the strongest when he was first betrayed but deep down Anakin still lives even if barely. In the end those little bits of Anakin Skywalker shine through again when he meets Luke but despite him wanting to be with his son he continues on his dark path because that's what the world turned him into and he's too far gone to really turn back from it all so he suppresses it until the final moments where he's just so tired from it all that he goes out being his old self again. Ardyn's old self shines also through ever so slightly as the story begins reaching its end imo and by the time of the final blow I think he's not going out as the King of Darkness anymore but as tired old Ardyn.

Also just my personal head canon but I'd like to believe that the alternate title screen after completing Episode Ardyn is him finally having his peace with Aera in the afterlife just like Noctis and Luna. Both of them are even sleeping together as a parallel to Noct and Luna.
I agree with everything here except for Ardyn hesitating before he slapped Luna.

Yeah.. there was no hesitation there at all lol.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
So, I've been reading a lot about how Episode Ardyn change the story for worst.
But I don't see it that way:
Episode Ardyn ends with Bahamut being a big piece of shit with Ardyn. And there's people that thinks this makes Bahamut the true villain.
At my eyes, Bahamut is a pragmatic manipulative God.
Even if he is the cause of death to all our heroes, he does it so the world can be saved. Everytime he interferes is to guide people to saving the world from the starscourge.
At start we thought he was an heroic ruler for how we saw him speak to Noctis. Vowing to him. But now we see it was probably a facade to push him into sacrificing himself.
This in human culture is considered a dick move. But at the end we have to remember that the Gods granted Luna and Noct a happy afterlife. And the after credits menu of Episode Ardyn makes me think they did the same with Ardyn and Aera.
So, even if he was an asshole, he provided an innecesary good deed at the end. Which at my eyes makes me see him as a mercyful God at his core.

Can't wait to see how the novel tells me i'm wrong and throws a massive dump into my perspective.

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
The first question

Anyone can i out of bounds in episode ardyn ?

second question

Does the game contain glitches and bugs or do you feel the game now fixed?

?.
They still didn't fix the Rogue walking in front of the party when they enter the room -_- it worked right for me the first time I played the Royal update and then every time since the scene has started with her walking directly between the camera and the bros

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
So, I've been reading a lot about how Episode Ardyn change the story for worst.
But I don't see it that way:
Episode Ardyn ends with Bahamut being a big piece of shit with Ardyn. And there's people that thinks this makes Bahamut the true villain.
At my eyes, Bahamut is a pragmatic manipulative God.
Even if he is the cause of death to all our heroes, he does it so the world can be saved. Everytime he interferes is to guide people to saving the world from the starscourge.
At start we thought he was an heroic ruler for how we saw him speak to Noctis. Vowing to him. But now we see it was probably a facade to push him into sacrificing himself.
This in human culture is considered a dick move. But at the end we have to remember that the Gods granted Luna and Noct a happy afterlife. And the after credits menu of Episode Ardyn makes me think they did the same with Ardyn and Aera.
So, even if he was an asshole, he provided an innecesary good deed at the end. Which at my eyes makes me see him as a mercyful God at his core.

Can't wait to see how the novel tells me i'm wrong and throws a massive dump into my perspective.
Interesting you should say that. The Famitsu interview actually has answered questions about Bahamut's role. It's said that while Bahamut isn't behind the Daemons/Shigai per say, there is a hidden reasoning behind his seeking to first spread their influence across Eos while also empowering Noctis's line. He also knows about how it began, but isn't sharing. Basically Bahamut is described as a "mastermind" behind events. These questions would've been answered in Episodes Luna and Noctis, and will be answered in Dawn of the Future.

You know, this is starting to sound like the Daemons and Starscourge are remnants of an old enemy of the Astrals or something.