Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 19, 2018
His arm in the Key Art looks like the power of Ifrit not Phoenix's like the gameplay we saw before.
I think your theory makes sense... But maybe Joshua manage to survive somehow because of the Phoenix powers?
Maybe Joshua can come back later in the game.
Well seeing as he's being described as one of the 3 central characters in the story it would be weird to kill him off at the very start of the narrative and/or keep him dead if they do. We know thanks to the site that Clive is just using fragments of the Eikons' powers during combat since it's confirmed he can only summon parts of Phoenix due to being blessed by Joshua so I doubt Joshua is dead and Clive just has the powers of Phoenix wholesale after a certain point.

Looking through the website, some things have definitely been confirmed.
*There are multiple realms in Valisthea each with a Mothercrystal. Each crystal is named after an aspect of a Drake, suggesting a common origin for the separate Mothercrystals. They were at peace, but whatever the Blight is, it's raising tensions again.
*Dominants aren't exactly Eikons incarnated, but people with the ability to manifest them. All but one nation has its own Eikon. We don't know which Eikon is given to some nations, but I think we can make a guess given what's on each Eikon-using nation's flag. We know Rosaria has Phoenix, and the Dhalamekian Republic has Titan. I'd suggest based on the flags that Sabreque has Shiva, while Waloed uses Odin.
*In some nations, being a Dominant is equivalent to the Crest system in FE; Three Houses, where it trumps line of succession by age. In others, they're pariahs who can end up being executed for their existence. Kinda like the l'Cie from the original XIII.
*The main protagonist Clive Rosfield is basically the reject head of house, while his younger brother Joshua is the current heir after becoming the Dominant of Phoenix. Not sure where Jill Warrick would come into it, but she's clearly important in some way.

Also, check out this new key art!
If I had to guess then Jill is most definitely related to Shiva in some manner whether its because she's related to Shiva's dominant or is the dominant herself because she was taken from a northern kingdom as a ward after they swore loyalty to Clive and Joshua's kingdom and offering a dominant as a ward seems like a really effective way to show good faith imo. Lastly, now that's a fancy looking sword in the key art worthy of the FF name. I am now content.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
As Clive, I'm inclined to consider that he might be Ifrit's dominant without knowing, and that he ends up killing Joshua as Ifrit.
If I had to guess then Jill is most definitely related to Shiva in some manner whether its because she's related to Shiva's dominant or is the dominant herself because she was taken from a northern kingdom as a ward after they swore loyalty to Clive and Joshua's kingdom and offering a dominant as a ward seems like a really effective way to show good faith imo. Lastly, now that's a fancy looking sword in the key art worthy of the FF name. I am now content.
Given the art, I'm agreeing that Clive's probably awoken to Ifrit's power, which fits in with the trailer dialogue and his later seeming status as a scorned covert operative. He's a rogue Dominant, and who knows what he might've done when he was manifesting Ifrit the first time. It might also be driving his vendetta against the Mothercrystals.

As to Jill, whatever her connection to a Eikon, I'm anticipating she'll be either a party member or player character, possibly after the apparent time skip that takes place. Or, to make it more bitter, she could be an antagonist opposing Clive to protect the Mothercrystals, if he decides to go after them.

I'm foreseeing a mildly-tragic conclusion to this story.

On a different note, those design sketches look very Yoshida. Think they got him back for a mainline FF again?

EDIT: Hi-def image of the world map.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
My opinion; this Blight's probably due to either an Eikon run amok, or some kind of side effect from overuse of the Mothercrystals by the world powers.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Based on the trailer it makes no sense that Clive would be a Dominant of Ifrit. Also, with the new information we got, The Iron Kingdom kills their Dominant every time they see it. I think Ifrit is actually a Dominant who either escaped death, or more likely, Ifrit somehow breaking free of the cycle of Dominants and getting fed up with being shackled by The Iron Kingdom killing his chosen one over and over and he breaks free and starts trying to kill other people.

Clive being Ifrit really doesn't make sense, unless it's a part of his soul/being that slipped out of him without him knowing. I think the whole plotline of The Iron Kingdom killing their Dominant AND sharing the same Mothercrystal as Rosaria is too convenient to think otherwise though.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
My opinion; this Blight's probably due to either an Eikon run amok, or some kind of side effect from overuse of the Mothercrystals by the world powers.
Its Covid.
Based on the trailer it makes no sense that Clive would be a Dominant of Ifrit. Also, with the new information we got, The Iron Kingdom kills their Dominant every time they see it. I think Ifrit is actually a Dominant who either escaped death, or more likely, Ifrit somehow breaking free of the cycle of Dominants and getting fed up with being shackled by The Iron Kingdom killing his chosen one over and over and he breaks free and starts trying to kill other people.

Clive being Ifrit really doesn't make sense, unless it's a part of his soul/being that slipped out of him without him knowing. I think the whole plotline of The Iron Kingdom killing their Dominant AND sharing the same Mothercrystal as Rosaria is too convenient to think otherwise though.
I think he not knowing makes more sense, having a demon possessing and killing your brother would be a great motivation for Clive wanting to destroy the crystals.

I like the idea of dark summons being the eikons of sacrificed dominants.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Ifrit, Phoenix, Shiva, Titan, Odin/Ixion, obligatory Bahamut annihilating an entire city, Garuda, what else?

Maybe some eikons alluding to FFTs Lucavi/XIIs Espers?

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Ifrit, Phoenix, Shiva, Titan, Odin/Ixion, obligatory Bahamut annihilating an entire city, Garuda, what else?

Shiva, Titan, Phoenix and Ifrit are confirmed. From the sound of it, and the fact that Ifrit seems to be an unknown and unwanted due to its status as a second Fire Eikon, then the other Eikons are probably dedicated to their own element.

Phoenix and Ifrit: Fire.
Titan: Stone/Earth.
Shiva: Ice.

My personal wishlist for the rest would be;

Odin/Ixion: Lightning.
Garuda/Fenrir/Silf: Wind.
Maduin/Kirin: Holy.
Diablos: Darkness.
Obligatory Bahamut as non-elemental being.

Leonhart

PSICOM Soldier

I think we probably will see Leviathan because It became one of the classics summons that appears in every major game.
I think Ramuh could fit as well.

My bets:

- Ifrit (Fire)
- Phoenix (Fire)
- Shiva (Ice)
- Titan (Earth)
- Leviathan (Water)
- Garuda (Wind)
- Odin (Non-Elemental/Darkness)
- Bahamut (Non-Elemental/Light)
- Ramuh (Thunder)

Actually these are the same summons that appears in Final Fantasy XIV. :eek:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
I think we probably will see Leviathan because It became one of the classics summons that appears in every major game.
I think Ramuh could fit as well.

My bets:

- Ifrit (Fire)
- Phoenix (Fire)
- Shiva (Ice)
- Titan (Earth)
- Leviathan (Water)
- Garuda (Wind)
- Odin (Non-Elemental/Darkness)
- Bahamut (Non-Elemental/Light)
- Ramuh (Thunder)

Actually these are the same summons that appears in Final Fantasy XIV. :eek:
Getting Leviathan would be pretty sick. Water magic and abilities are criminally underused in the series imo so Clive getting some water magic via Leviathan would be pretty dope.

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
Shiva, Titan, Phoenix and Ifrit are confirmed. From the sound of it, and the fact that Ifrit seems to be an unknown and unwanted due to its status as a second Fire Eikon, then the other Eikons are probably dedicated to their own element.

Phoenix and Ifrit: Fire.
Titan: Stone/Earth.
Shiva: Ice.

My personal wishlist for the rest would be;

Odin/Ixion: Lightning.
Garuda/Fenrir/Silf: Wind.
Maduin/Kirin: Holy.
Diablos: Darkness.
Obligatory Bahamut as non-elemental being.
Ooooh i would give everything to see diabolos in XVI.
He appears so rarely in the series only VI, VIII, XIV

Feb 19, 2018
Considering how FFVIIRs marketing was kinda modest compared to FFXVs, because of COVID I believe, I dunno. I hope!
I'm betting that if it happens it'll be a livestream event in all likelihood.
Imo 7R marketing was more modest not because of Covid but because FF7 itself is such a big brand on its own that just having the name attached to it would do most of the marketing work.
Yeah I agree, FFVIIR isn't really a brand new numbered title and is pretty much in the spin-off territory in addition to the massive legacy that it's attached to so it makes sense that they didn't really go all out in the lead up to release. FFXVI is entirely new and as such needs as much exposure as it can get to sell people on it and get them familiar with it.