Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
https://www.siliconera.com/final-fa...t-trailer-teaser-website-coming-late-october/
Full of direct quotes. I like that they didn't go the usual route SQEX's become notorious for of a CGI trailer and logo teaser, despite the backlash over unpolished graphics.

Yoko Taro: “So today, we have the TWO of Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro for a 14 (FF14) program, so that means you have the numbers 2 plus 14 to make 16!”

Yosuke Saito: “16?! No way, 16?”

Yoko Taro: “We’re changing today’s program for a special!”

Naoki Yoshida: “Hold on, hold on!”

Yosuke Saito: “I heard there’s a new trailer.”

Naoki Yoshida: “No, there isn’t!”

Yoko Taro: “And gameplay.”

Naoki Yoshida: “No, no, no, please wait. This program is about 14, but we indeed announced Final Fantasy 16. However, I want to wait until 2021 to release more info so that we can focus on its development, or so I thought, but I’m getting this ‘What the hell are you doing?’ vibe here from Yoko Taro here [laughs]. Anyway, it doesn’t even have a teaser website right now, but we’ll have one sometime around the end of October. I’m thinking about launching the teaser site and releasing a bit of info surrounding the characters and world. Then after that, I want to focus on development.”

Yosuke Saito: “That’s unforgivable.”

Naoki Yoshida: “What do you mean, unforgivable? [laughs]. But we did put some work into it. How do I put it, for this trailer, I wanted to avoid going with something incredibly rendered then showing the logo, like bam. I wanted to show in-game material moving in real-time as much as possible. However, we were running a bit tight on time, and we hardly did any optimizing or fine-tuning, so it was a little problematic. Especially these days since we tend to compare with other recent releases. However, if we went with a rendered trailer… then it’s like ‘I’ll see you guys in 2035!’. I’ve actually seen those comments coming from America [laughs]. For now, I wanted to show something moving (in-real time). I mean, this trailer didn’t show any of the game’s selling points, so we’ll have something the next time after giving it some more work.”

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I have to say the intentional choice of using real-time footage over CGI is winning me over somewhat. Granted, this is something Square-Enix has been decidedly doing in their marketing for mainline games since the Remake. None of the trailers were prerendered CGI done by Visual Works IIRC. Actually, the marketing and communication in general has been improving slowly since Realm Reborn.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I have to say the intentional choice of using real-time footage over CGI is winning me over somewhat. Granted, this is something Square-Enix has been decidedly doing in their marketing for mainline games since the Remake. None of the trailers were prerendered CGI done by Visual Works IIRC. Actually, the marketing and communication in general has been improving slowly since Realm Reborn.
Well the original XIV was a bit of a wakeup call concerning their management and marketing, and they've been trying to get back fan trust ever since. I mean, they were seriously considering ending FF if XV didn't do well. It got that bad. But thankfully, we've got XVI, and FF's beginning to get its spark back.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Buenos Aires, Argentina
"Basic development" and scenario already done. From their recruitment page:

"We have already completed basic development and scenario production, and are continuing to create large-scale resources and build boss battles while expanding our various development tools,"

“Also, most of our staff are carrying out their work remotely.”

Square Enix is currently seeking final staff to help complete the world of Final Fantasy XVI with various stages and fields, large-scale cutscenes, character actions, and so on.

Feb 19, 2018
"Basic development" and scenario already done. From their recruitment page:

"We have already completed basic development and scenario production, and are continuing to create large-scale resources and build boss battles while expanding our various development tools,"

“Also, most of our staff are carrying out their work remotely.”

Square Enix is currently seeking final staff to help complete the world of Final Fantasy XVI with various stages and fields, large-scale cutscenes, character actions, and so on.
So basically they're just working on those big story setpieces and overall presentation at this point from the sound of it. That's really exciting to hear and this game may actually see the light of day within the next year or two.

Feb 19, 2018

So non-silent protag confirmed, good.

Kinda hope we can change hairstyles because imo his pre-time skip look is too hella-generic.
Idk why anyone had concerns of the protagonist being silent when he was narrating throughout the trailer and talking about himself and the crystals. Also his adult hairstyle honestly doesn't bother me personally because it hearkens back to the simpler pre-Nomura era of FF character designs.

LogicalFal'cie

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 8, 2015
U.K
Having character designs that reflect the world they are placed in would be nice. Lightning Returns, XV and VII Remake had a huge dissonance between the main cast and the characters that inhabited the world at large. (Also having npc character models of similar quality to the main/playable cast like XIV does would go a long way.)

Feb 19, 2018
https://www.gamesradar.com/marvels-...agazines-guide-to-ps5s-launch-lineup-out-now/

Latest issue of OPM is claiming Final Fantasy is most likely coming next year. If that's true then I'll be impressed. I don't think we've had a game announcement and possible release so close together in a long while from Square.
If Square can put aside their obsession for in house engines and cutting edge graphics for a while it'll be nice to experience a release schedule similar to the PS1 and PS2 days again.

Feb 19, 2018
Combo mad potential could be insane:

Kind of irrelevant to the video but I really hope that the protagonist gets a better looking weapon at some point or that, that one is just a placeholder at most because that thing in the thumbnail just screams generic asset to me. FF is known for it's fantastical looking weapons, particularly when it comes to the main protagonists and I really hope they don't do away with that aspect in this game.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Kind of irrelevant to the video but I really hope that the protagonist gets a better looking weapon at some point or that, that one is just a placeholder at most because that thing in the thumbnail just screams generic asset to me. FF is known for it's fantastical looking weapons, particularly when it comes to the main protagonists and I really hope they don't do away with that aspect in this game.
Characters have been getting different visible weapon models since the time of FF7 at the very least. You shouldn't have any concerns.

Feb 19, 2018
Characters have been getting different visible weapon models since the time of FF7 at the very least. You shouldn't have any concerns.
I know but even as a starter weapon it looks pretty bland and I hope its not indicative of the rest of the weapons. Still not over how bland and generic a lot of the weapons in FFXV looked aside from the few obvious standouts. I know it sounds cynical but I just don't want a repeat of that here is all.