Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I have to say the intentional choice of using real-time footage over CGI is winning me over somewhat. Granted, this is something Square-Enix has been decidedly doing in their marketing for mainline games since the Remake. None of the trailers were prerendered CGI done by Visual Works IIRC. Actually, the marketing and communication in general has been improving slowly since Realm Reborn.
Well the original XIV was a bit of a wakeup call concerning their management and marketing, and they've been trying to get back fan trust ever since. I mean, they were seriously considering ending FF if XV didn't do well. It got that bad. But thankfully, we've got XVI, and FF's beginning to get its spark back.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
"Basic development" and scenario already done. From their recruitment page:

"We have already completed basic development and scenario production, and are continuing to create large-scale resources and build boss battles while expanding our various development tools,"

“Also, most of our staff are carrying out their work remotely.”

Square Enix is currently seeking final staff to help complete the world of Final Fantasy XVI with various stages and fields, large-scale cutscenes, character actions, and so on.

Feb 19, 2018
"Basic development" and scenario already done. From their recruitment page:

"We have already completed basic development and scenario production, and are continuing to create large-scale resources and build boss battles while expanding our various development tools,"

“Also, most of our staff are carrying out their work remotely.”

Square Enix is currently seeking final staff to help complete the world of Final Fantasy XVI with various stages and fields, large-scale cutscenes, character actions, and so on.
So basically they're just working on those big story setpieces and overall presentation at this point from the sound of it. That's really exciting to hear and this game may actually see the light of day within the next year or two.

Feb 19, 2018

So non-silent protag confirmed, good.

Kinda hope we can change hairstyles because imo his pre-time skip look is too hella-generic.
Idk why anyone had concerns of the protagonist being silent when he was narrating throughout the trailer and talking about himself and the crystals. Also his adult hairstyle honestly doesn't bother me personally because it hearkens back to the simpler pre-Nomura era of FF character designs.

LogicalFal'cie

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 8, 2015
U.K
Having character designs that reflect the world they are placed in would be nice. Lightning Returns, XV and VII Remake had a huge dissonance between the main cast and the characters that inhabited the world at large. (Also having npc character models of similar quality to the main/playable cast like XIV does would go a long way.)

Feb 19, 2018
https://www.gamesradar.com/marvels-...agazines-guide-to-ps5s-launch-lineup-out-now/

Latest issue of OPM is claiming Final Fantasy is most likely coming next year. If that's true then I'll be impressed. I don't think we've had a game announcement and possible release so close together in a long while from Square.
If Square can put aside their obsession for in house engines and cutting edge graphics for a while it'll be nice to experience a release schedule similar to the PS1 and PS2 days again.

Feb 19, 2018
Combo mad potential could be insane:

Kind of irrelevant to the video but I really hope that the protagonist gets a better looking weapon at some point or that, that one is just a placeholder at most because that thing in the thumbnail just screams generic asset to me. FF is known for it's fantastical looking weapons, particularly when it comes to the main protagonists and I really hope they don't do away with that aspect in this game.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Kind of irrelevant to the video but I really hope that the protagonist gets a better looking weapon at some point or that, that one is just a placeholder at most because that thing in the thumbnail just screams generic asset to me. FF is known for it's fantastical looking weapons, particularly when it comes to the main protagonists and I really hope they don't do away with that aspect in this game.
Characters have been getting different visible weapon models since the time of FF7 at the very least. You shouldn't have any concerns.

Feb 19, 2018
Characters have been getting different visible weapon models since the time of FF7 at the very least. You shouldn't have any concerns.
I know but even as a starter weapon it looks pretty bland and I hope its not indicative of the rest of the weapons. Still not over how bland and generic a lot of the weapons in FFXV looked aside from the few obvious standouts. I know it sounds cynical but I just don't want a repeat of that here is all.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Looking through the website, some things have definitely been confirmed.
*There are multiple realms in Valisthea each with a Mothercrystal. Each crystal is named after an aspect of a Drake, suggesting a common origin for the separate Mothercrystals. They were at peace, but whatever the Blight is, it's raising tensions again.
*Dominants aren't exactly Eikons incarnated, but people with the ability to manifest them. All but one nation has its own Eikon. We don't know which Eikon is given to some nations, but I think we can make a guess given what's on each Eikon-using nation's flag. We know Rosaria has Phoenix, and the Dhalamekian Republic has Titan. I'd suggest based on the flags that Sabreque has Shiva, while Waloed uses Odin.
*In some nations, being a Dominant is equivalent to the Crest system in FE; Three Houses, where it trumps line of succession by age. In others, they're pariahs who can end up being executed for their existence. Kinda like the l'Cie from the original XIII.
*The main protagonist Clive Rosfield is basically the reject head of house, while his younger brother Joshua is the current heir after becoming the Dominant of Phoenix. Not sure where Jill Warrick would come into it, but she's clearly important in some way.

Also, check out this new key art!

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
While Odin being Waloed's eikon makes total sense, Ixion would fit right in as well. I don't know from which kingdom that dragoon from the trailer comes from, but he used lightning-based attacks.

As Clive, I'm inclined to consider that he might be Ifrit's dominant without knowing, and that he ends up killing Joshua as Ifrit.

While Odin being Waloed's eikon makes total sense, Ixion would fit right in as well. I don't know from which kingdom that dragoon from the trailer comes from, but he used lightning-based attacks.

As Clive, I'm inclined to consider that he might be Ifrit's dominant without knowing, and that he ends up killing Joshua as Ifrit.
His arm in the Key Art looks like the power of Ifrit not Phoenix's like the gameplay we saw before.
I think your theory makes sense... But maybe Joshua manage to survive somehow because of the Phoenix powers?
Maybe Joshua can come back later in the game.

Last edited: