Nomura vs Tabata, how well/bad they handle their projects

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Jun 3, 2018
There is a lot of v13 hate online, I keep getting into arguments on the XV reddit when people attack me for saying Nomura's vision looked cooler in my eyes. Recently I got like 20 downvotes for saying I like the 'trash bag' costume that was modded in lol. I also think that design is cool af, and will continue saying so just to piss them off haha
Actually my remark wasn't an angry response to trash bag Noct (that's been the fan name since the early days), but the bros have so little outfits, hopefully people can give them clothes instead of focusing on what was always gonna be a temporary design.

Don't be antagonistic.

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
This is Nomura talking about DLC and Season Pass for Kingdom Hearts 3.

“I do want to look into potentially releasing DLC after [launch], but nothing have been solidified or decided on what we want to do or what we will do,” he said. “I don’t think I’ll ever really release a season pass of sorts either, because I’m not fond of that model.

The former director of FFXV is not a fan of season pass. Truly wasted game with a potential of good story-telling.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland

“I do want to look into potentially releasing DLC after [launch], but nothing have been solidified or decided on what we want to do or what we will do,” he said. “I don’t think I’ll ever really release a season pass of sorts either, because I’m not fond of that model.

The former director of FFXV is not a fan of season pass. Truly wasted game with a potential of good story-telling.
doesnt really change anything

tons of products directed by him received special/complete editions later on with extra story, see KH final mix editions and FFVII AC complete; since you had to pay full price to check the new content i think thats worse than paying for a season pass.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015

No idea why you bought this up other than to throw shade, he's still looking into post-release DLC which is what FFXV has been doing. The former FFXV director isn't entirely against DLC overall.

And i'm with Storm on Final Mix/Special Edition releases, not my cup of tea either.

Last edited:

Vallen

Forest Owl
Mar 4, 2018
I'm not trying to offend here, but if KH3 ends up being a far more polished and better accepted game at launch over FFXV, it is all the proof I need to conclude that XV would've turned out better in Nomura's hands (even if it would have taken much longer). You don't have to agree, but that's my stance on it.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I'm not trying to offend here, but if KH3 ends up being a far more polished and better accepted game at launch over FFXV, it is all the proof I need to conclude that XV would've turned out better in Nomura's hands (even if it would have taken much longer). You don't have to agree, but that's my stance on it.
Versus XIII being on the verge of cancellation rooted to a troubled foundation pre-reboot alone puts a wrench into that conclusion. KH3's development & scope differences aren't really a proper example of what FFXV could have been under Nomura. Objectively speaking, FFXV was put in a unique situation that wouldn't have matched the insane expectations put towards it regardless of who helmed director seat.

Besides, you can't really give all credit to Nomura when Tai Yasue has been present as a co-director. Same with 2013 XV with Tabata initially being the co-director, which Nomura himself acknowledged as capable people being there for him & doing the real heavy lifting.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
KH3 has been in development for a long, long time, and it still is. Way longer than FFXV.

KH3 didn't have to be restarted from scratch using a new engine and developping that engine at the same time.

I'm sure FFXV would've turned great in Tabata's hands if he had more time, unfortunately the game had to come out in 2016 no matter what.

We'll see what Tabata is really capable of with his next gen project. FFXV was in development hell, and tbh it turned out pretty good for a game that had such a rough development imo.

It could've been way, way, way worse.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014

You had to play Episode Ignis to find out why he was blind after Altissia. I would say it that's crucial DLC to the main story, lol. KH2 is no way a perfect execution, yet to say that a game that had one collection of add ons on after it's release which mostly had to do with localization time ( Also the added content wasn't essential, hence why It wasn't released outside of Japan for 8 years) vs a game that has had 2 years of updates which includes story alterations, a total of 9 announced DLC packs as of right now is less complete then the latter seems illogical.
Did you just ignore everything I said about the padded out KH "sidegames" which literally exist for the same reason the FFXV DLC exist, only the XV DLC has the decency of being part of the actual game and has them as chapter length episodes, instead of a seperate "game" altoghether that was only justified as being one by padding them the fuck out with filler content to make them seem more bigger than they really are?

The amount of story content in KH Days is not any less than the amount of story content in Episode Ignis, and that stuff in KH Days is crucial to even understanding why Roxas and Axel even became friends to begin with, since in KH2 Axel is going against Roxas because of the events that happened in KH Days, only you never got to see any of that or know anything about it, which is why KH Days was even made to show that. Or what about Aqua? Good luck finding everything you need to know about her just from KH2, same with Marluxia and Larxene. Or hell, the actual "true" Xehanort only first ever appeared in one of these "side games" and not in KH2, where in KH2 you only ever get allusions to him and vague journal entries.

And no, finding out how that happened to Ignis changes literally nothing about the main story, all you need to know is that it he became blinded and he even says it was a sacrifice in the greater battle, however finding out why Axel and Roxas even have a relationship to begin with is never even properly explained or delved into in KH2, it only does that in KH Days. Meanwhile entire characters that are core to the entire KH main story aren't even present in KH2 and instead are delved into in those "side games". KH2FM came out 2 years after KH2 did and it added a bunch of new content, which is pretty much equivalent to what Royal Pack added for FFXV, to the point where literally no one recommends the "vanilla" version of KH2 anymore ever.

This logic makes no sense, especially when Tai Yasue is the one actually there managing the day to day workload for KH3, not Nomura.

Looking at the disaster that was Versus is all the proof you need to know that Nomura cannot direct anything worth shit, and also KH3 has already been in development under Nomura far longer than FFXV was under Tabata, we already have all the proof we need that XV was better in Tabata's hands than in Nomura's, because it was literally on the verge of being cancelled under Nomura which is why Tabata was even brought in to begin with.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Did you just ignore everything I said about the padded out KH "sidegames" which literally exist for the same reason the FFXV DLC exist, only the XV DLC has the decency of being part of the actual game and has them as chapter length episodes, instead of a seperate "game" altoghether that was only justified as being one by padding them the fuck out with filler content to make them seem more bigger than they really are?

The amount of story content in KH Days is not any less than the amount of story content in Episode Ignis, and that stuff in KH Days is crucial to even understanding why Roxas and Axel even became friends to begin with, since in KH2 Axel is going against Roxas because of the events that happened in KH Days, only you never got to see any of that or know anything about it, which is why KH Days was even made to show that. Or what about Aqua? Good luck finding everything you need to know about her just from KH2, same with Marluxia and Larxene. Or hell, the actual "true" Xehanort only first ever appeared in one of these "side games" and not in KH2, where in KH2 you only ever get allusions to him and vague journal entries.

And no, finding out how that happened to Ignis changes literally nothing about the main story, all you need to know is that it he became blinded and he even says it was a sacrifice in the greater battle, however finding out why Axel and Roxas even have a relationship to begin with is never even properly explained or delved into in KH2, it only does that in KH Days. Meanwhile entire characters that are core to the entire KH main story aren't even present in KH2 and instead are delved into in those "side games". KH2FM came out 2 years after KH2 did and it added a bunch of new content, which is pretty much equivalent to what Royal Pack added for FFXV, to the point where literally no one recommends the "vanilla" version of KH2 anymore ever.

This logic makes no sense, especially when Tai Yasue is the one actually there managing the day to day workload for KH3, not Nomura.

Looking at the disaster that was Versus is all the proof you need to know that Nomura cannot direct anything worth shit, and also KH3 has already been in development under Nomura far longer than FFXV was under Tabata, we already have all the proof we need that XV was better in Tabata's hands than in Nomura's, because it was literally on the verge of being cancelled under Nomura which is why Tabata was even brought in to begin with.
Lol, the debacle with Versus didn't have to do with Nomura as a director. Why is this still a thing??? Research, people! The company was imploding in on it's self when Wada took over, which made Sakaguchi leave in 2002 and taking a chunk of the senior staff with him. It directly effected Matsudo's pipeline for XII which is why it was in production for 6 years, then FFXIII gaming engine was a hot mess and had it's own slew of development problems requiring additional staff, then FFXIV literally burst into flames on launch which also required additional staff. How was Nomura supposed to direct anything if any extra staff that is on hand has to fix all these issues? That's why Versus didn't go into production immediately after it's announcement in 2006 and it was always in early production phase because there wasn't ever a full staff until 2012. If he failed as a director why in god's name would SE put him at the helm of the two biggest games for Square this decade? lol. If you're going to blame anyone for Versus blame Wada. He tanked the company with his decisions, which is why he was fired and Nomura wasn't.

Lastly, the KH stuff. again. There's a difference padding something that was technically a complete story ( I understand that the Organization wasn't fleshed out enough for some people and ,yes, there was story content added to the FMs but I really think that if there hadn't been those long localization times that let them add in more stuff they probably would have just moved on with production, which was my initial point in regards to KH3 and him not releasing story DLC after!) but the KH, KH2, Birth by Sleep, stories are complete on launch regardless the lack of character development or it being a continuation especially if you are comparing it to something like FFXV. In my opinion, I don't think 352/2 days was crucial at all to know about Axel and Roxas. They are established friend in KH2, 352/2 was just extra padding hence why it came out 3 years later after KH2, on a handheld. FFXV purposely left out story information so you had to buy DLC. Totally not the same lol.

I think you might have a hate boner for Nomura if you are still blaming him for Versus. I'm never going to agree that Tabata is a better director for story. After playing his other titles like Type-0 and 3rd birthday ( I would include Crisis Core but he had an outline of an already established story he had to follow) he has a really distinct style of story telling. I feel like there isn't any or it's missing huge chucks information. So let's agree to disagree and spare everyone on the forum lol.

Last edited:

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
KH3 has been in development for a long, long time, and it still is. Way longer than FFXV.

KH3 didn't have to be restarted from scratch using a new engine and developping that engine at the same time.

I'm sure FFXV would've turned great in Tabata's hands if he had more time, unfortunately the game had to come out in 2016 no matter what.

We'll see what Tabata is really capable of with his next gen project. FFXV was in development hell, and tbh it turned out pretty good for a game that had such a rough development imo.

It could've been way, way, way worse.
KH3 started full development in 2013. You might be thinking of some early concept art that was worked on 2006. It will be 5 years when it's released in 2019. FFXV/FFVersusXIII(The Luminous Studio Build) didn't start full production until 2012. So 4 years until it was released.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
wasnt FFXV rebooted during 2013?

and while im sure wada's management caused troubles for Versus XIII, its confirmed the project had problems beyond that in a fundamental level (mainly in the Edge magazine); the fact toriyama managed to release an entire trilogy during the same time just further confirms that and there's no reason to Nomura being fired for one "big" mistake in his career.

tabata had to deal with a trainwreck of a project and release it in a tight schedule, and that being his first AAA title on top of that.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
wasnt FFXV rebooted during 2013?

and while im sure wada's management caused troubles for Versus XIII, its confirmed the project had problems beyond that in a fundamental level (mainly in the Edge magazine); the fact toriyama managed to release an entire trilogy during the same time just further confirms that and there's no reason to Nomura being fired for one "big" mistake in his career.

tabata had to deal with a trainwreck of a project and release it in a tight schedule, and that being his first AAA title on top of that.
Do you have a link to that article? Also I wouldn't necessarily use XIII trilogy as a good example. It's not like they had to rebuild new assets every time (it's also likely that because of a lot of model's and assets were scrapped in FXIII's production they were just utilized in the later sequels.) and the team was a quarter of what a mainline FF is for the sequels.

Last edited:

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I feel as if many people are blaming Nomura and Tabata respectively for events outside of their control. Square-Enix does their developers dirty a lot of the time. Let's not forget that Tabata was given unrealistic time restraints for Final Fantasy XV. It was also their decision not to properly port Type-0 to the PSP and/or Vita overseas instead of an extremely lazy port to home conoles. Nomura also was forced to change game engines multiple times across multiple games. He also got thrust into the director role of a game he didn't even know he was supposed to be working on. Lot of the ire being thrown their way should be directed Square-Enix and their poor management policies. Not at individual developers who only have so much say within the corporate structure. Devs like Kojima are an anomaly. Not a lot of developers, let alone Japanese ones, have as much power as he did during his tenure at Konami. I'm failing to see how subtle putdowns towards either Tabata or Nomura accomplishes anything. Especially when neither of them can share in the lion's share of the blame for most scenarios.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Do you have a link to that article? Also I wouldn't necessarily use XIII trilogy as a good example. It's not like they had to rebuild new assets every time (it's also likely that because of a lot of model's and assets were scrapped in FXIII's production they were just utilized in the later sequels.) and the team was a quarter of what a mainline FF is for the sequels.
https://www.mognetcentral.com/threads/final-fantasy-xv-general-news-thread.3288/page-656#post-57925

i suspect that's the reason Versus took so long to enter full development, the company wasnt confident about the product.

"the period of trying to fix the game's issues went on way too long"

Last edited:

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Lol, the debacle with Versus didn't have to do with Nomura as a director.
Yes it did, maybe you should do some actual research. It wasn't just Crystal Tools/FF13/ FF14 woes that resulted in Versus turning out the way it did, a large proponent of it was Nomura and his constant changing scope of the project, even after FF13 was done and out Nomura had a team making the game and he still had the game on the verge of cancellation in 2012, which again is the entire reason why Tabata was brought onto the project to save it by rebooting it as XV to begin with, which is why Tabata headed a new prototype build of the game in 2012 when he joined, while Nomura was still messing around changing a supposed "finished" story constantly, even according to Ferrari there was no set story and it was changing every 3 months under Nomura, this constant handwaiving on Nomura somehow not being the main reason why Versus failed is just a prime example of his fanboys being extreme apologists for him.

Also Tai Yasue is again the co-director actually doing the day to day work on KH3, not Nomura, and Hamaguchi is the Development Lead actually in charge of FF7Rs development, while Nomura's role on both of those is pretty much equivalent to just a creative director rather than someone who actually knows how to manage a project, hell that's why again Tabata was brought onto FFXV.

Versus started development as an actual game sometime in 2010 after FF13 finished, when staff for Versus were being hired and when they had created a modified version of Crystal Tools specifically for Versus called Ebony Engine, and Ferrari stated that he was still doing work on Versus through 2011 too, so to suggest that FF14 tanking massively affected Versus's development is a huge assumption just because those two timelines overlap, the FF14 2.0 team used people who were not working on anything major, Versus and Type-0 were both under going development during 2011 and Type-0 came out in 2011 too, and many people who worked on Versus were also on Type-0 and also stayed on for XV. Versus was a mess because Nomura is a bad director, he's bad at managing a team which even Nomura himself has admitted, which in 2013 when Tabata was co-director of FFXV, Nomura stated in an interview that it is his co-directors that are the most important people on the games because they are the ones actually there with the team working on the day to day workload, which is what Tabata was doing on XV as co-director and what Yasue is doing on KH3 even till this day.

It's also no secret that Nomura's name has star power because of how heavily his name was marketted in the 90s alongside FF7 and following that, and how he is also Kitase's golden child, to the point where pretty much every single game Nomura has been "director" on has had Kitase as Producer on it. Wada was just a business suit that no one wanted to protect, Nomura has protection from Kitase and became "untouchable" within the company ever since FF7s release.

but the KH, KH2, Birth by Sleep, stories are complete on launch regardless the lack of character development or it being a continuation especially if you are comparing it to something like FFXV. In my opinion, I don't think 352/2 days was crucial at all to know about Axel and Roxas. They are established friend in KH2, 352/2 was just extra padding hence why it came out 3 years later after KH2, on a handheld. FFXV purposely left out story information so you had to buy DLC. Totally not the same lol.
They are less complete stories than FFXV is by default of them not even being an actual conclusion to their story because they all lead into a different story, none of those games have character development occur within the game, they introduce plot points and characters crucial to the "main story" in these side games instead of them actually being a part of the main numbered games.

Literally nothing about their "friendship" is established in KH2, what the hell are you even talking about? Axel is suddenly trying to go up against Roxas and you have no idea why and you never find out the reason why in KH2 at all, you are just expected to believe that Axel's reasons are right for no reason and nothing to go off of, and it only answers those crucial elements in a sidegame, alongside introducing an ENTIRELY NEW CHARACTER that also coincides with KH CoM which again, is stuff that directly feeds back into KH2 yet is NEVER ONCE ANSWERED OR BROUGHT UP in KH2, meanwhile the DLC content in XV is literally just expanding on things already mentioned or brought up in the main game. Gladio getting an extra scar after leaving for a few days has literally no impact on the main story of FFXV, him leaving and getting scars or not doesn't impact the main story of Noctis at all, neither does what happened to Ignis or Prompto, meanwhile Sora going into a cocoon for 2 years that he is suddenly waking up from at the start of KH2 despite having no build up or that even being where Sora was left off in KH1 forces you to play KH CoM to even understand what the hell even happened for the main story of the MAIN CHARACTER.

KH is an utter travesty of story and that you are seriously trying to act like XV is in anyway as bad as KH is a joke, seeing as you're another Nomura apologist it's not surprising.

Also you seem to not be aware that Nomura was in charge of all the creative aspects of 3rd Birthday as he is the one who pitched the game in the first place, created the game design and story outline, the story concepts, the game foundation, did the character designs, was CREATIVE PRODUCER that oversaw every creative aspect of the entire game, and he even literally stated that he was the one who assigned Tabata to direct 3rd Birthday to begin with because Tabata understands Nomura's intentions and because they work well toghether, all Tabata did was follow the orders he was given, hell he was literally FORCED to put Type-0 on hold for a whole year because the higher ups threatened they'd cancel Type-0 if he doesn't finish 3rd Birthday. Nomura is not a good director, he's a creative person and a good character designer, he should stick to that.

KH3 started full development in 2013. You might be thinking of some early concept art that was worked on 2006. It will be 5 years when it's released in 2019. FFXV/FFVersusXIII(The Luminous Studio Build) didn't start full production until 2012. So 4 years until it was released.
FFXV didn't start on Luminous Engine until July 2013, in July 2012 it was still using Ebony engine which is what the Citadel Insomnia footage from E3 2013 was running on, while any Altissia stuff from 2013 was just mocked up CG with a HUD overlayed on it by Visual Works and not real gameplay. It was only after E3 2013 that they started migrating to Luminous in July 2013 which both Nomura and Tabata have stated. FFXV was only on Luminous for 3 years and a few months by the time it released, and Luminous was not even a finished engine back in 2013, it didn't become a finished engine until 2016, and that is the main reason why KH3 was moved off of Luminous in 2014 so that Luminous could be finished alongside a single game instead of spread out between multiple games. And when KH3 moved to UE4 in 2014, UE4 was already a finished engine, and KH3 will have been 4+ years on UE4 by the time it releases.

Last edited:

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
https://www.mognetcentral.com/threads/final-fantasy-xv-general-news-thread.3288/page-656#post-57925

i suspect that's the reason Versus took so long to enter full development, the company wasnt confident about the product.

"the period of trying to fix the game's issues went on way too long"
That's interesting. One thing though, I feel like the translation might be off on some words. One that popped out was his team was "resentful". That seems unnecessarily catty and aggressive. And that Tabata wanted Sakaguchi drunk. I think some of the nuance of the terms they were using were lost in translation. And again he leaves out the development issues that stemmed from XIV and XIII that directly effected the Versus team. Lastly, the "snag" that he is talking about might have been referring to the Crystal Tools Engine which other that a major miscommunications between teams was the reason why XIII had a problematic development cycle.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
That's interesting. One thing though, I feel like the translation might be off on some words. One that popped out was his team was "resentful". That seems unnecessarily catty and aggressive. And that Tabata wanted Sakaguchi drunk. I think some of the nuance of the terms they were using were lost in translation. And again he leaves out the development issues that stemmed from XIV and XIII that directly effected the Versus team. Lastly, the "snag" that he is talking about might have been referring to the Crystal Tools Engine which other that a major miscommunications between teams was the reason why XIII had a problematic development cycle.
well translation can be off in any interview really, and XIV and XIII directly affecting Versus is not officially confirmed; it is known they helped the other teams, but if the game was already suffering problems by itself that doesnt change much.

Wan Hazmer also commented about "some elements not working"
Nomura also mention in past Versus interviews a lot of "trial and error".

and if even in those troubled times toriyama managed to release three games with the crystal tools, theres no doubt there were deeper problems affecting the Versus project, else it would be released and we would have played it.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Yes it did, maybe you should do some actual research. It wasn't just Crystal Tools/FF13/ FF14 woes that resulted in Versus turning out the way it did, a large proponent of it was Nomura and his constant changing scope of the project, even after FF13 was done and out Nomura had a team making the game and he still had the game on the verge of cancellation in 2012, which again is the entire reason why Tabata was brought onto the project to save it by rebooting it as XV to begin with, which is why Tabata headed a new prototype build of the game in 2012 when he joined, while Nomura was still messing around changing a supposed "finished" story constantly, even according to Ferrari there was no set story and it was changing every 3 months under Nomura, this constant handwaiving on Nomura somehow not being the main reason why Versus failed is just a prime example of his fanboys being extreme apologists for him.

Also Tai Yasue is again the co-director actually doing the day to day work on KH3, not Nomura, and Hamaguchi is the Development Lead actually in charge of FF7Rs development, while Nomura's role on both of those is pretty much equivalent to just a creative director rather than someone who actually knows how to manage a project, hell that's why again Tabata was brought onto FFXV.

Versus started development as an actual game sometime in 2010 after FF13 finished, when staff for Versus were being hired and when they had created a modified version of Crystal Tools specifically for Versus called Ebony Engine, and Ferrari stated that he was still doing work on Versus through 2011 too, so to suggest that FF14 tanking massively affected Versus's development is a huge assumption just because those two timelines overlap, the FF14 2.0 team used people who were not working on anything major, Versus and Type-0 were both under going development during 2011 and Type-0 came out in 2011 too, and many people who worked on Versus were also on Type-0 and also stayed on for XV. Versus was a mess because Nomura is a bad director, he's bad at managing a team which even Nomura himself has admitted, which in 2013 when Tabata was co-director of FFXV, Nomura stated in an interview that it is his co-directors that are the most important people on the games because they are the ones actually there with the team working on the day to day workload, which is what Tabata was doing on XV as co-director and what Yasue is doing on KH3 even till this day.

It's also no secret that Nomura's name has star power because of how heavily his name was marketted in the 90s alongside FF7 and following that, and how he is also Kitase's golden child, to the point where pretty much every single game Nomura has been "director" on has had Kitase as Producer on it. Wada was just a business suit that no one wanted to protect, Nomura has protection from Kitase and became "untouchable" within the company ever since FF7s release.

They are less complete stories than FFXV is by default of them not even being an actual conclusion to their story because they all lead into a different story, none of those games have character development occur within the game, they introduce plot points and characters crucial to the "main story" in these side games instead of them actually being a part of the main numbered games.

Literally nothing about their "friendship" is established in KH2, what the hell are you even talking about? Axel is suddenly trying to go up against Roxas and you have no idea why and you never find out the reason why in KH2 at all, you are just expected to believe that Axel's reasons are right for no reason and nothing to go off of, and it only answers those crucial elements in a sidegame, alongside introducing an ENTIRELY NEW CHARACTER that also coincides with KH CoM which again, is stuff that directly feeds back into KH2 yet is NEVER ONCE ANSWERED OR BROUGHT UP in KH2, meanwhile the DLC content in XV is literally just expanding on things already mentioned or brought up in the main game. Gladio getting an extra scar after leaving for a few days has literally no impact on the main story of FFXV, him leaving and getting scars or not doesn't impact the main story of Noctis at all, neither does what happened to Ignis or Prompto, meanwhile Sora going into a cocoon for 2 years that he is suddenly waking up from at the start of KH2 despite having no build up or that even being where Sora was left off in KH1 forces you to play KH CoM to even understand what the hell even happened for the main story of the MAIN CHARACTER.

KH is an utter travesty of story and that you are seriously trying to act like XV is in anyway as bad as KH is a joke, seeing as you're another Nomura apologist it's not surprising.

Also you seem to not be aware that Nomura was in charge of all the creative aspects of 3rd Birthday as he is the one who pitched the game in the first place, created the game design and story outline, the story concepts, the game foundation, did the character designs, was CREATIVE PRODUCER that oversaw every creative aspect of the entire game, and he even literally stated that he was the one who assigned Tabata to direct 3rd Birthday to begin with because Tabata understands Nomura's intentions and because they work well toghether, all Tabata did was follow the orders he was given, hell he was literally FORCED to put Type-0 on hold for a whole year because the higher ups threatened they'd cancel Type-0 if he doesn't finish 3rd Birthday. Nomura is not a good director, he's a creative person and a good character designer, he should stick to that.

FFXV didn't start on Luminous Engine until July 2013, in July 2012 it was still using Ebony engine which is what the Citadel Insomnia footage from E3 2013 was running on, while any Altissia stuff from 2013 was just mocked up CG with a HUD overlayed on it by Visual Works and not real gameplay. It was only after E3 2013 that they started migrating to Luminous in July 2013 which both Nomura and Tabata have stated. FFXV was only on Luminous for 2 years and 11 months by the time it released, and Luminous was not even a finished engine back in 2013, it didn't become a finished engine until 2016, and that is the main reason why KH3 was moved off of Luminous in 2014 so that Luminous could be finished alongside a single game instead of spread out between multiple games. And when KH3 moved to UE4 in 2014, UE4 was already a finished engine, and KH3 will have been 4+ years on UE4 by the time it releases.
Sigh. Nomura technically has never been given the title of director with the exception of the KH series. You can look that up on Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura. I'm not continuing this with you any further. When Storm sent me that link, I looked it up to see if I could find the original translation. Your name popped up on other forums and you are unnecessarily combative and defensive about FFXV. You're not going to change my opinion on this, and i'm not going to change yours so let's drop this.