Opening hour video from Final Fantasy XV [early game spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nye

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 17, 2016
It's the same scene, but they used the younger models and then replaced them with the older ones, which I guess were done later (and they didn't want to spoil the Chapter 0 stuff that soon, I guess).

If they're the same models, I guess they're the same height? I honestly thought Old Noct was taller than before, even though he didn't look any different in the E3 video's ending (basically, he was still around Prompto's height). If so, that's nice, as hopefully that means that implementing him as an alternative skin is more feasible.
Still doesn't make sense though, if they didn't want it to be spoiled they wouldn't have used it, I honestly doubt they changed the character models just for this trailer. Also, looking back at the Afrojack trailer, Noctis and co did look older. That's why this whole scene confuses me personally. Maybe story related?

It looks like everyone is unhappy with the performance and graphics ( neogaf esspecially) I really hope the final build fixes up alot of this but can they really do alot in 2 months?
I doubt they'll be a major change even if they fixed it, they're dealing with hardware limitations here they honestly can't do anything about it and I don't blame them. Also, Neogaf bitch and whine about everything, I stopped going there.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Still doesn't make sense though, if they didn't want it to be spoiled they wouldn't have used it, I honestly doubt they changed the character models just for this trailer. Also, looking back at the Afrojack trailer, Noctis and co did look older. That's why this whole scene confuses me personally. Maybe story related?
I don't really know, but a certain game last year did the same: using a scene that was pretty spoiler-filled in a different way in the trailer so that you don't actually know whatever is actually happening there. Ah, it was a character model change too, actually.

I can't check right now, but I don't remember Noctis and co looking older in the E3 trailer? Hell, I actually believed that endgame Noctis would look like current Noctis but with a suit and even goofier, bigger hair (just slicked back), so the older characters came as a (relative) surprise to me. I think they just either needed more time to polish the older versions, or just wanted to introduce the whole Chapter 0 situation during Gamescom. Or a mix of both!

Nye

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 17, 2016
I don't really know, but a certain game last year did the same: using a scene that was pretty spoiler-filled in a different way in the trailer so that you don't actually know whatever is actually happening there. Ah, it was a character model change too, actually.

I can't check right now, but I don't remember Noctis and co looking older in the E3 trailer? Hell, I actually believed that endgame Noctis would look like current Noctis but with a suit and even goofier, bigger hair (just slicked back), so the older characters came as a (relative) surprise to me. I think they just either needed more time to polish the older versions, or just wanted to introduce the whole Chapter 0 situation during Gamescom. Or a mix of both!
Hmm, I didn't know that they did that in other games. But it feels so weird, its not like there was a context to include that scene too, but anyway here is what I noticed about the Afrojack trailer.

Gladio here has a longer hair and partially tied up just like he did in Ch 0

Noctis here Also has a longer hair.

Now I am not too sure about this one but Prompto did have a goatee in Ch 0, but I'm not sure if this was indeed a goatee or just jaggies lol

Even before Ch 0 I kinda felt that they were a bit different and not like their usual design.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
played the intro-video again, there's a giant freaking skull of some beast up on that throne lol.

also, it doesn't look it's located on Regis room, it actually seems the throne is on the middle of the palace's entrance (the same area of the PD's final battle).

Last edited:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, I noticed it was the Palace entrance the second time I watched. It's really cool, I think, for it's the most iconic place Versus/XV has.

I'm not too sure that that'll be the final battle/boss, though. And I don't even mean that he might have a different form (something that's kinda granted in a FF). I think there's more to that. Or hope so, as I want a nice chunk of the game happening after the timeskip/whatever that is.
Hmm, I didn't know that they did that in other games. But it feels so weird, its not like there was a context to include that scene too, but anyway here is what I noticed about the Afrojack trailer.

Gladio here has a longer hair and partially tied up just like he did in Ch 0

Noctis here Also has a longer hair.

Now I am not too sure about this one but Prompto did have a goatee in Ch 0, but I'm not sure if this was indeed a goatee or just jaggies lol
Even before Ch 0 I kinda felt that they were a bit different and not like their usual design.
Oh, right. To be honest, the only one that looks considerably older is Noct. The rest pretty much look the same but with some new features. I guess that I thought they would look even more similar to their current designs because of Prompto there (can't see the goatee and the hairstyle is the same afaik) and Noctis, who kinda had more hair, but I thought he would have the exact same hairstyle but, well, bigger and slicked back. I'm so glad to be wrong, as that would have looked kinda weird and the new hairstyle is one of my favourites in the series.

Also, already mentioned it, but I could swear that Old Noctis looks taller in Chapter 0 than he is as a young man. But you can't really say for certain, as he doesn't really stand side by side with any of his buds (they're either running, fighting, taking cover...), so yeah, unless they change the body model from your pic, he's going to be the same height (which makes sense, as a 20 year old doesn't really have much growing to do).
@Tornak
MGSVTPP are you refering, right?
Yep, that game!

AverageAfro

PSICOM Soldier
Aug 3, 2016
So Weapons change your health stats, as does attire

In this image you can see that by equipping the War Sword over the Two Handed Sword Noctis gains both Health and Attack.

In this one we can see that the change in Attire (going to No Jacket) Increases he Attack, his strength, and what I can only assume is Penetration. But trades those increases off with a decrease in Health.

This is what I though would happen, as only being able to change your stats through Accessories seemed a bit minimal. (Just as a note, the change in his attire drops his health by 77, from 466 down to 389, which isn't minimal, but certainly not major)

What I didn't expect is that the weapons equipped would change your stats. This leads to so very interesting combinations. Imagine if you really liked only using the Engine Sword, and maybe some daggers. This means your other two Slots can be used to simply raise the stats you want with no consideration of using the weapons. So if you really hate the lances, but you found one that increases you Strength by a large amount. It's going to make you Engine Sword better, but you don't have to use it. - This would be cool, but it's only paritally true. Check below.

Edit: Quoted the images because they're massive.

Edit 2: Ok, so I was watching the video back again because I wanted to know how the magic affects those overall stats, and I realised that the weapons aren't adding to overall strength, and that the arrows illustrating what goes up and down are specific to the weapons and how they compare to what's being equiped over them. What I did find interesting is that they still had an overall affect on Health. The only things I could figure out that was making the Attack stat go up was their attire, and so in any accessories as well.

Be warned that this image is 5760x1080 :)
I used Gladios in my example because the limited amount of things he can equip makes it easier to illustrate. The same things apply to Noctis and the Magic doesn't have an affect on the strength. When you see the player equping the Magic, you can all see that weapons affect the amount of MP, and for some reason the spell they equiped gave less MP than the Daggers ><

Last edited:

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Hmm, in terms of the engine sword, maybe it has various pathways for upgrading meaning that Cid could upgrade it to be either like a spear or a greatsword, and each version of the engine sword would provide Noctis with different stats and abilities. That could be cool.

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Speaking of weapon upgrades, do you guys think it could be like other RPGs where depending on what materials you provide, it'll have a different effect, or do you guys think that it would be a simple linear progression? I would enjoy a more diverse progression, but doing that for each of the weapons/ weapon types would be a huge undertaking for Square (not saying they can't do it). Also Upgrading weapons, would you guys like upgrading to change the weapon visually or not?

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Not sure if I´m going crazy or not but I noticed they added hair bouncing in the lastest build of the game, I don´t remember hair bouncing happening in Duscae or Platinum.