Opening hour video from Final Fantasy XV [early game spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
It may have been said already, but I think one of the reasons the first two minutes feel out of place is because of editing. No proof but clearly they jump cut in places during the gameplay and I think those two minutes in the beginning are clearly not the whole of that segment as they maybe don't want to spoil too much but give us a glimpse/tease of it. They even cut some of the cutscenes short for most likely similar reasons so I won't judge that intro too harshly myself. Was surreal seeing 'new game' selected....so close....just a little longer....
Possibly, but at the same time, there is always the problem that the opening will cause one to get turned off because of how far out there it is and then just how suddenly we're on the side of a road. The transition was not all that great, hopefully due to the edits, because it's just a sudden tone and mood shift.

Bobjam

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 14, 2014
Possibly, but at the same time, there is always the problem that the opening will cause one to get turned off because of how far out there it is and then just how suddenly we're on the side of a road. The transition was not all that great, hopefully due to the edits, because it's just a sudden tone and mood shift.
Oh absolutely, no argument against the fact it would be jarring should the final game transition that way as we have seen it so far but I just think there are missing pieces that are being held back from us for reasons and because of the editing and cuts. That 53 minutes of chapters 0-3 doesn't fully show off everything that one would be seeing/be able to encounter in the game at that point. After all...we have seen what kinda size world map we are dealing with, who knows how many things one could go off and find in those chapters as optionals. Let's hope the final intro feels fuller or less strange =s

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
At this point i'm convinced FFXV will legit be my GOTY, possibly GOTG too. Very happy for this showcase (lightyears better than last year's Gamescom presentation already), and i welcome the delay with all arms

November's gonna be one hell of a month guys.

Nye

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 17, 2016
Ahhhh I just got around to watching the game-play footage and I gotta say, HYPE!!!

Oh boy where to start first, ok lets start with the negatives and get them out of the way first.

Negatives

Frame-rate: I gotta say this didn't sell me on the PS4 version at all, there were so many frame rate dips that my eyes couldn't take it anymore. I can't imagine how terrible its gonna be fighting bosses and Archaeans with these constant and sometimes severe dips and I doubt they're gonna be able to fix it by release in all honesty.

IQ and texture: I mean there were times they looked really bad, like, not the cutting edge graphics they were promising. I understand that its a big world and some sacrifices had to be made, but it looked really ugly at times.

Clothes: I don't mind them very much since they are clearly optional, but I honestly don't see myself changing their clothes in game at least not in my first play through. They look so out of place in serious cut scenes, I am actually one of these people who liked that they all wore black and understood the lore behind it.

Iris: Yes guys, she is definitely a character I won't like, she reminds me of Rinoa, and I really hate Rinoa D:

Positives

Game-play:
The game-play looks so effing SICK, it really looks like there is a lot you can do with it and it looks like it can be a lot of FUN!!! The buddy link attacks are really interesting and I can't wait to level them up to see how they will look like at high levels! Finally Square shows us the REAL game-play, thank GOD!

Skill tree/Magic: I am so excited for this you guys I can't even describe it, THE SPHERE IS BACK! And it might not actually be as deep but I am happy to be able to level my characters like that, that was most of the fun I had with previous FF games and I am glad to see it back.

Weapons/Modding: AHHH I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS!! I love how you have so many weapons at your disposal, YOU CAN EVEN USE A CHAINSAW!! And I love how you can also mod your weapons to make them stronger and unlock more statuses to them.

Soundtrack: Yoko strikes again, the ost was so varied with a lot of mobs/bosses, I am so glad I am getting that OST <3

Characters: In all fairness I've always loved the characters, but their banter/dialogue was so much fun to listen to. I can't wait to see how they will act in a more serious situation, but so far their bantering seems to do me well. "Stop bitching and start killing", lol! I didn't like the English voice acting though, so I will definitely play in Japanese.

Art direction: I liked the art of the world, I honestly can't wait to explore it further in game.

Mini-games: they look fun as hell, I can't wait to level up their hobbies, especially Prompto's <3

Cor: Hawt, enough said.

What I don't know about yet

Side Quests: tbh they haven't sold me on them 100%, I am still skeptical about them but its no big deal.

All in all, the game is shaping up to be my favorite FF game if not my all time favorite game. The footage definitely sold me on my buying the Neo version, because honestly the frame rate dips were so bad that my eyes hurt lol. I wish they were releasing it on PC, I see the game and I feel bad that consoles are not doing it justice. Anyway, I am gonna be dying till November q_q

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Everything looks great, not much to really say that hasn't been said by others. I'll make a few points though for some things.

I like the quest system a lot, it reminds me of FFXIV in some ways which is to say it feels more western in that sense. The pros of this are that you can manage what you're doing in the game a lot easier. There will of course be secrets that aren't initiated through an NPC, but it's still nice to be able to keep track of what I'm doing, where I need to go, etc.

I've seen some minor complaints about the car, and while the handling of course could be improved, I don't think it needs to go off road at all. I'm not sure why people are keen on driving the car off the road as you wouldn't do so in real life. The Chocobos fill the desire to go anywhere and do anything. The Chocobos can jump up and off cliffs, swim through waters, dash a cross any terrain through trees etc. If you want to get around off road, just rent a Chocobo, you don't need to drive your car through the fields and run over a bunch of rocks along the way. You're driving a luxury car, not a 4x4.

Combat looks really nice, I'm still curious about a few things, mainly the skills section, as it's basically another skill tree like the Ascention tree, only for weapon skills and the like. This will draw out the amount of things to activate. A lot of people noticed how the Ascention tree doesn't have a lot on it, but that's because it's your core abilities, while the Skills section will allow you to unlock even more. So, I think there will be lots of stuff to upgrade! I never expected anything as huge as the License Board or sphere grid, because those systems are built around their respected game's mechanics.

Really looking forward to the Gamescom coverage.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
As said above, I'm also not really understanding why a seemingly large amount of people want to be able to drive the car off road?

Car for roads, chocobos for everywhere else. :chocowalk:
Chocobo gameplay looks legitimately fun. FUN! And man, you can name them! And give them some accesories! And even dye them! To be honest, Chocobos were (before, like in 2014) an aspect I didn't really expect them to deliver in, but they have, at least it seems like that. I'm kinda tired of stupid, slow, clunky, ground-bounded rides in RPGs, so having a giant bird you can ride that is able to run quite fast, glide, drift and swim is a blessing. Fuck you, Roach (still, you grow to love the poor idiot).

Also, since Punished Noctis has a CG model (released even in marketing), I hope we get the timeskip/ring-aging/whatever it is not in the end, but earlier if possible. Half of the game would be great for me, but I'd say it's too soon. Have him become that around the last streetch of the game, like if this were FF XV's CD 4. And please let me use him as an alternative skin anytime I want, Tabata, Ok thank you.

AverageAfro

PSICOM Soldier
Aug 3, 2016
Combat looks really nice, I'm still curious about a few things, mainly the skills section, as it's basically another skill tree like the Ascention tree, only for weapon skills and the like. This will draw out the amount of things to activate. A lot of people noticed how the Ascention tree doesn't have a lot on it, but that's because it's your core abilities, while the Skills section will allow you to unlock even more. So, I think there will be lots of stuff to upgrade! I never expected anything as huge as the License Board or sphere grid, because those systems are built around their respected game's mechanics.

Really looking forward to the Gamescom coverage.
Where is this in the video?

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
Chocobo gameplay looks legitimately fun. FUN! And man, you can name them! And give them some accesories! And even dye them! To be honest, Chocobos were (before, like in 2014) an aspect I didn't really expect them to deliver in, but they have, at least it seems like that. I'm kinda tired of stupid, slow, clunky, ground-bounded rides in RPGs, so having a giant bird you can ride that is able to run quite fast, glide, drift and swim is a blessing. Fuck you, Roach (still, you grow to love the poor idiot).

Also, since Punished Noctis has a CG model (released even in marketing), I hope we get the timeskip/ring-aging/whatever it is not in the end, but earlier if possible. Half of the game would be great for me, but I'd say it's too soon. Have him become that around the last streetch of the game, like if this were FF XV's CD 4. And please let me use him as an alternative skin anytime I want, Tabata, Ok thank you.
Indeed. I have been waiting for a meaningful Chocobo addition since FF7 and FF9 (8 was pretty rubbish). These look to have some depth to them, which is very cool.

I'm blatantly gonna call my first one Choco. :chocowalk: :happyboko:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
It's weird, because it's a tiny change, but I actually kinda like Prompto's new design (not a fan of the younger version), with that goatee. Although his new clothes help a lot, so these little tweaks end up making a difference, I guess?

Gladio's new hairstyle is pretty cool and really suits him (I didn't have a problem with his previous one, though) and Ignis... Is he blind now? Their clothes are also great: they're black, yes, but it's pretty clear they're battle outfits for the Kingsguard, so it adds a sense of unity in the good way, which maybe the previous, more casual-oriented clothes couldn't get across.
This honestly confuses me xD
It's the same scene, but they used the younger models and then replaced them with the older ones, which I guess were done later (and they didn't want to spoil the Chapter 0 stuff that soon, I guess).

If they're the same models, I guess they're the same height? I honestly thought Old Noct was taller than before, even though he didn't look any different in the E3 video's ending (basically, he was still around Prompto's height). If so, that's nice, as hopefully that means that implementing him as an alternative skin is more feasible.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
It looks like everyone is unhappy with the performance and graphics ( neogaf esspecially) I really hope the final build fixes up alot of this but can they really do alot in 2 months?

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
We kinda already knew that yesterday and the master version was mentioned to lack the polish they have in place apparently.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
It looks like everyone is unhappy with the performance and graphics ( neogaf esspecially) I really hope the final build fixes up alot of this but can they really do alot in 2 months?
They can't drastically change it, but they can definitively really take advantage in those two months: framerate, IQ (AA, some blurriness, bugs...) So I don't think we should expect to see a change that makes the game look like in 2014 or even Duscae: if this goes right, it'll look like a very stable version of what you've seen, with some polishing in the visual department, but not much. So, for example, the desert area is still going to look pretty ugly, I'm afraid.

But seriously, three-four months can make a huge difference, at least in terms of stability and polishing what they already have. Ah, and also balancing if needed in some area.
Maybe the character models will age (to a small degree?) as the story goes on.
That'd be great, but I really doubt it.

I think it'll go like: certain climax is reached, thing happens, suddenly "X years later" (the only one looking thaaat older is Noctis, so I wouldn't be surprised if the timeskip is much shorter than expected: ring magic is a hell of a drug) and ending of the game.