Persona 5 (PS4, PS3) - WW launch discussion

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Yeah, pacing is really slow at first. The first few (well, more than a few) days are pretty lineal and don't allow you much freedom. And I would say that not even I have scratched the surface of the game, and I'm 20 hours in and advanced enough in the second Palace. For real, but, even I have done a lot, I still know that I have sooo much left (especially in terms of new party members, for example).

My main advice here would be this: try to save SP for attacks (especially against those enemies who you can't quickly beat by other means) and finish the Palace as soon as you can (or, at least, try to go as far as you can go everytime time you need to enter). If you do it all in one go, you have quite a bit of free time.

I made that mistake during the first Palace. The difficulty being in Hard was the last straw, but I also got sloppy and didn't care as much as I should about my SP (me being used to other RPGs where it's easily replenished). I actually bumped the difficulty back to Normal (right before the first Palace boss, so plenty of hours in), because I had read that you get less EXP and money, and that's a big nono for a game like this. Also, even if perfectly manageable, I was getting fucked hard at times by random enemies, so I was tired of reloading and losing progress.

Another thing: look up some of the attributes you get with Confidants. You're in the very early stages, so don't worry about them for now, but you should try and be prepared for their prerequisites (not all of them have). Take a look at which ones you like best and prioritize them (I know my goal is making SP more abundant and having more free time).

PS: one final thing! Look up what special things there are each day (like TV quizs, bonuses for reading/bath house..., special products...) and switch books regularly (in case you get a seat in the train: buy as much as you can in Shibuya and try to finish those from the library). And take care of your plant week by week!
So I'm past 1 week inside the game and things have started to really pick up. Really digging the story. Things got very serious all of a sudden. I mean, damn, I'm hooked.

Yeah I noticed how quickly the SP can deplete so I'm only using normal attacks and the gun if an enemy is weak against it.

Gotta say the enemies pack quite a punch in this game. Holy crap do they do a lot of damage. It's not "easy" like I thought it would be. Lots of stuff to learn in regards to the battle system. It's definitely more complex than Pokémon, which is what I thought this game would be like.

So many Confidants and Persona's, it's doing my head in trying to keep track of everything so only gonna focus on the ones that I really like.

Haven't found any books or even had the opportunity to do stuff other than story related segments atm. I suppose this comes after the first Palace? Thinking I'm near the end to finishing the first arc.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Currently on the 2nd palace, game may very well dethrone Persona 4 as my favorite in the franchise.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Currently on the 2nd palace, game may very well dethrone Persona 4 as my favorite in the franchise.
I just finished the 2nd Palace.

This game is dope. Took me awhile to familiarise myself with everything but now I understand it.

Building social stats and Confidants is the best part of the game. Not that into the battles and Palaces even if they're fun. The social side of it is my favourite aspect of the game.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Me still waiting for my local stores to get a copy of the game :meh:.
Update on this:

Went there and asked if they already got copies, turns out they were supposed to get a package last week but it was delayed, for reasons :shifty:.
They are expecting the package to arrive this weekend as earliest, at worst first week next month.

Fortunately I'm a patient person, otherwise I would be raging.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Update on this:

Went there and asked if they already got copies, turns out they were supposed to get a package last week but it was delayed, for reasons :shifty:.
They are expecting the package to arrive this weekend as earliest, at worst first week next month.

Fortunately I'm a patient person, otherwise I would be raging.
That sucks. I feel for you.

Just try not to get spoiled before you get the game.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Based off the glowing reviews, I decided to give this game a shot. I've never played a Persona game, and I'm not an anime fan in the slightest. But the game was being praised to the high heavens, so after BOTW it was worth trying out.

All I can say is that...I'm not the target demographic for this game. I got to the end of the 2nd Palace before deciding not to continue. It's definitely stylish, and the soundtrack is rather cool. I get its popularity; it's undoubtedly well-made and I can see the appeal. Congratulations to Atlus, but I'm going to have to leave it to the rest of you guys to enjoy.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Based off the glowing reviews, I decided to give this game a shot. I've never played a Persona game, and I'm not an anime fan in the slightest. But the game was being praised to the high heavens, so after BOTW it was worth trying out.

All I can say is that...I'm not the target demographic for this game. I got to the end of the 2nd Palace before deciding not to continue. It's definitely stylish, and the soundtrack is rather cool. I get its popularity; it's undoubtedly well-made and I can see the appeal. Congratulations to Atlus, but I'm going to have to leave it to the rest of you guys to enjoy.
All good. You're right in that it does have a very niche specific appeal to it.

If I recommended this to my friends (who don't watch anime or play Japanese games), they wouldn't like this game at all.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Wait, why is there another Persona 5 thread? As in, why isn't this one being used for discussion?

I've been busy and haven't been able to play in a week (left the game at 30:00 hours, right before finishing the 2nd palace and after having grinded a lot).

Still enjoying it a lot, even though it's getting less "new" and more repetitive. Best thing is that I haven't even met most of the important characters, nor seen more than just glimpses of the main story arc.

Also, huge fucking difference between Normal and Hard. I kinda regret going with Normal, but I read that you get less money and EXP in Hard and I don't want that (not even sure if it's true, as I haven't really paid attention to that). With Hard you pretty much could die in any battle (unless you managed to get a Hold On), and now, maybe because I'm a bit overleveled (level 21 when the average is 17), I just don't have a single problem. But it's still very fun and I'm guessing that in upcoming dungeons things will get harder (I basically have exhausted all surprises in terms of battles in the 2nd one, so I'm always prepared).

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Wait, why is there another Persona 5 thread? As in, why isn't this one being used for discussion?
I guess bexause this is the WW launch thread?

Also, huge fucking difference between Normal and Hard. I kinda regret going with Normal, but I read that you get less money and EXP in Hard and I don't want that...
If previous games are any indication, you would get less exp and money than in normal.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, that's why I stopped playing on Hard (also, a certain Palace boss fucked me up good the first time I wanted to fight him).

BUT I've also seen people saying that the only thing that changes is the amount of damage (the one your attacks do and the one you receive), whereas the classical "less money and EXP" is in the DLC dificulty. I don't want to take the chance, though, I'm comfortable on Normal Kappa.

I guess bexause this is the WW launch thread?

If previous games are any indication, you would get less exp and money than in normal.
I mean, it still says "discussion" and we've been discussing a game that has finally launched worldwide! But yeah, the title might lead to the mistake that's only for launch talk, which evidently wouldn't be the case. I was just honestly curious (especially as I haven't checked the forum in a while).