SPOILERS/SPECULATION: Final Fantasy XV Spoiler and Speculation Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I think the opening of FFXV is fine, I actually didn't want to spoil myself with the CG cutscene that follows, but I like that it gets straight to the point. Let the game do the talking, not the cutscenes. One of the things that annoy me with some of the FF games is when there's so much at the start that you don't even get to control the game for several minutes, and even then they take control back away from you after you take like 5 steps. FFX did this quite a lot, but of course, it's still one of my favorite FF games.

Look at FFVII for example, my favorite FF game. There's just a small opening cutscene of Midgar and you're thrown into the game after jumping off the train with no explanation as to what is going on and what you're doing. You learn about who you are and what you're doing along the way leading up to the bombing of the reactor.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
the Dawn trailer scene would be a better fit in my opinion (I was actually convinced it was going to be one of the first scenes).

either way, this one have a positive that it reminds of FFs like I and II where you basically begin your journey in a castle talking to a king.

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
I think the opening of FFXV is fine, I actually didn't want to spoil myself with the CG cutscene that follows, but I like that it gets straight to the point. Let the game do the talking, not the cutscenes. One of the things that annoy me with some of the FF games is when there's so much at the start that you don't even get to control the game for several minutes, and even then they take control back away from you after you take like 5 steps. FFX did this quite a lot, but of course, it's still one of my favorite FF games.

Look at FFVII for example, my favorite FF game. There's just a small opening cutscene of Midgar and you're thrown into the game after jumping off the train with no explanation as to what is going on and what you're doing. You learn about who you are and what you're doing along the way leading up to the bombing of the reactor.
This was indeed a good start, and it looks like XV is going in a similar way (loosely) with it's opening, which is a good thing.

Nye

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 17, 2016

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who felt that way, I read so many complaints about the lack of CGI and how the opening isn't huge like other FF games. Personally, I liked how the opening was grounded and straight to the point. I rather things build up slowly and then become bigger as the story goes on as opposed to something starting out in a bang then just slowly fades away. I'd much rather go through a meaningful build up through game-play and few cutscenes rather than watching a CGI for 10 minutes, CGI scenes didn't make XIII a better game imo.

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
Thank you! I thought I was the only one who felt that way, I read so many complaints about the lack of CGI and how the opening isn't huge like other FF games. Personally, I liked how the opening was grounded and straight to the point. I rather things build up slowly and then become bigger as the story goes on as opposed to something starting out in a bang then just slowly fades away. I'd much rather go through a meaningful build up through game-play and few cutscenes rather than watching a CGI for 10 minutes, CGI scenes didn't make XIII a better game imo.
Also i think CGI cut scenes are getting less and less relevant / important these days. :happy:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I think the concept is cool. The execution... not so much.

It'd work better if they tried to make Chapter 0 more impactful (increasing its lenght, revealing a little more of it, making you able to fight just a little as OP/fucked and sick Noct...), have the CG opening be slightly more awe-inducing (showing panoramas and scenes of streets full of Lucians so that you know what you're actually fighting for) and the transitions slightly less awkard and abrupt.

As a concept I like it. True, everybody loves a heart-racing beginning like VII: straight to the point. Or full of events (both action-y and relaxing) with many different points of view, like IX. But I also love very slow, story/character building ones that just introduce you to world (not the plot) if they're well done.

But yeah, I feel it was kinda bland, boring and awkward. Although not the disaster some really want to make this seem.

PS: in the IGN bts video in which we had our first glimpse of Chapter 0 we can see battle HUD. So maybe they're allowing us a little fight. Or maybe it was a glimpse of the actual fight later on. Or they decided against it. Who knows.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland

It'd work better if they tried to make Chapter 0 more impactful (increasing its lenght, revealing a little more of it, making you able to fight just a little as OP/fucked and sick Noct...), have the CG opening be slightly more awe-inducing (showing panoramas and scenes of streets full of Lucians so that you know what you're actually fighting for) and the transitions slightly less awkard and abrupt.

As a concept I like it. True, everybody loves a heart-racing beginning like VII: straight to the point. Or full of events (both action-y and relaxing) with many different points of view, like IX. But I also love very slow, story/character building ones that just introduce you to world (not the plot) if they're well done.

But yeah, I feel it was kinda bland, boring and awkward. Although not the disaster some really want to make this seem.

PS: in the IGN bts video in which we had our first glimpse of Chapter 0 we can see battle HUD. So maybe they're allowing us a little fight. Or maybe it was a glimpse of the actual fight later on. Or they decided against it. Who knows.
I totally agree, it felt rushed; the "let's take them out Imsomnia really fast" kind of rushed and the scene didn't really asked for a CG, they could have made it in real time and instead doing a Imsomnia CG aerial view with the guys leaving the city or something like that.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York

I totally agree, it felt rushed; the "let's take them out Imsomnia really fast" kind of rushed and the scene didn't really asked for a CG, they could have made it in real time and instead doing a Imsomnia CG aerial view with the guys leaving the city or something like that.
There's the entire CGI cutscene that takes place between these two things, it's not so cut and dry as that. It actually plays out a lot longer than VII does in that sense.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I'm OK with the Insomnia scene being rushed IF it's something that you continue to flash to here and there as the story unfolds. Otherwise, it does seem a little rushed and unnecessary. Now, with the CGI scene that comes after it, it didn't look THAT bad to me.

I do have to take exception to those who complained about the car pushing scene following it. It's supposed to be jarringly boring by comparison. It's called juxtaposition. I have no problem with that transition at all. I have more of an issue with Chapter 0 being so tiny.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I agree that the Chapter 0 segment should have been at minimum 60 seconds longer.
The time between the first CGI scene and the words FFXV popping up during the car pushing was alright.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Perhaps they're holding something back from the beginning part of the game that wasn't in the demo. Leaks notwithstanding, we don't really know much outside the first 2-3 hours and the invasion. To wit, the pamphlet from Gamescom said some of the Versus elements we thought were gone are still in the game - just haven't been shown yet.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Keep in mind, this was a build made for Gamescom, they could have also left part of Chapter 0 out.
I know I'm repeating myself, but I actually think there's more to it, as in the thread DrBretto did about the Chapter 0 creature, you can clearly see in that gif that there are health bars and that Satan-kun is standing up, suggesting a battle.

Mind you, it could be the actual battle when you arrive in Chapter "x" to that point, but yeah, Tabata's words during GI's coverage imply that Chapter 0 is (was?) something meatier.

Nye

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 17, 2016
VA trailer.
- Luna talking to Leviathan. She looks like she's trying to convince him that Noctis is a worthy king, could this be the part where we will get Luna to join the party temporarily while fighting Levi? Gosh, I hope its true that would be awesome!

Possible contradiction to the 4chan leak.
- The leaker stated that Luna will be "waking up summons" but honestly if anything looks like she is fighting them. Gah, that leak is definitely screwing up my head. q_q

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
(Possibly) all of the 13 Armiger weapons from latest video:
Slightly upset that there's no
scythe. There is a Warglaive and battleaxe tho :D
Is that 2nd image a
Great shield?
What are # 7 and 10?

Also, how likely do you guys think it is for them to include secret Phantom weapons, like one that you can stumble upon or hear about while roaming around the world that isn't a part of the main story? Like the secret summons in FFX? On the topic of summons, do you think there might be secret summons in this as well?

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
VA trailer.
- Luna talking to Leviathan. She looks like she's trying to convince him that Noctis is a worthy king, could this be the part where we will get Luna to join the party temporarily while fighting Levi? Gosh, I hope its true that would be awesome!

Possible contradiction to the 4chan leak.
- The leaker stated that Luna will be "waking up summons" but honestly if anything looks like she is fighting them. Gah, that leak is definitely screwing up my head. q_q
Just ignore the leaks honestly.

It could be the part where we get Luna in the party though, I have no idea.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Just ignore the leaks honestly.

It could be the part where we get Luna in the party though, I have no idea.
The leaker also says that most of the game noctis is going to collect the swords but he already has quite a few from the 52 minute demo we saw, thats definitely not what he is doing the whole game, I think the leaker only saw basically what we saw at Gamescom and made the rest up. There is too much evidence he did that at this point. He is so descriptive about the first few chapters but the rest is just quick things he made up. He didnt mention alot of the plot point or characters in the game like Ravus or plague of the stars. Also he says Noctis in the end of the game puts all his power into a ring which he most surely made up cause in chapter 0 Noctis has no ring.

Last edited:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Potential spoilers about the Royal Weapons:

Apart from what looks like Luna's trident, it seems like Regis' sword (which is also the one Noctis has in his older version's render) is a Royal Weapon as well.

Not entirely surprising, considering how the Royal Weapons are... well, weapons that belonged to remarkable (I guess?) kings before, but yeah. I'd really like that each king had some kind of backstory, as in "this was the first king of the Lucis line, and did this and this other thing and blablabla". It seems like, in the very brief descriptions of the Royal Weapons in the menu, we are getting some info.

I hope they get deep in the lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.