SPOILERS/SPECULATION: Final Fantasy XV Spoiler and Speculation Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Yeah, I remember this. The interviewer asks if he was 42, but they never said yes. That led people to believe he's 42, when we know now that it's not 42.

ちなみに、厄年である。
Here in his bio you see "厄年" which is "Yakudoshi" or "Unlucky Age", the most common one being 42 because of 4 (shi) 2 (ni) (shini) (death). However, 42 is not the only unlucky age, so it is possible that he is another one of the many unlucky ages, as listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakudoshi

49 was one of the many reoccurring unlucky ages of various periods in history as you can see by reading this page. This would mean, if Cor was 49, he would have been 19 when traveling with Regis which makes a lot more sense than if he was 12.

However, because people are stuck on the idea that he is 42 because of this interview, many go at great lengths to try and find a reason for why he would be 42 and still be able to have fought with Regis 30 years prior. The problem, of course, is why give him an age to begin with if he's just not going to age at all? If that were the case, he wouldn't be 42, he might be 420 (lol) seeing how many believe that he doesn't age at all. Why make it a point to say he has an unlucky age if he wasn't able to age anyways.

Cor's title as the "Immortal Shogun" is not supposed to be taken literally. If it were, again, it wouldn't make sense to age him, as he would surely be much older than 42. Again, if he was, and it was an unlucky number (let's say 105 or something) then he still wouldn't be 42...

The only person who has been said to be explicitly a special existence would be Gentiana. Of course, people like to guess that she is Leviathan or Shiva. The Leviathan one is especially stupid, as it wouldn't make any sense for Gentiana to be friends with Luna, give her a trident, then turn into Leviathan, argue with Luna, and get her shit kicked in by Luna. I mean... there's no logic there whatsoever. And, for her to be Shiva, why would she be located around where Leviathan is, that defeats the point of being a Guardian if you're not even going to guard anything...

Anyways, I'm rambling...

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Yeah, I remember this. The interviewer asks if he was 42, but they never said yes. That led people to believe he's 42, when we know now that it's not 42.

Here in his bio you see "厄年" which is "Yakudoshi" or "Unlucky Age", the most common one being 42 because of 4 (shi) 2 (ni) (shini) (death). However, 42 is not the only unlucky age, so it is possible that he is another one of the many unlucky ages, as listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakudoshi

49 was one of the many reoccurring unlucky ages of various periods in history as you can see by reading this page. This would mean, if Cor was 49, he would have been 19 when traveling with Regis which makes a lot more sense than if he was 12.

However, because people are stuck on the idea that he is 42 because of this interview, many go at great lengths to try and find a reason for why he would be 42 and still be able to have fought with Regis 30 years prior. The problem, of course, is why give him an age to begin with if he's just not going to age at all? If that were the case, he wouldn't be 42, he might be 420 (lol) seeing how many believe that he doesn't age at all. Why make it a point to say he has an unlucky age if he wasn't able to age anyways.

Cor's title as the "Immortal Shogun" is not supposed to be taken literally. If it were, again, it wouldn't make sense to age him, as he would surely be much older than 42. Again, if he was, and it was an unlucky number (let's say 105 or something) then he still wouldn't be 42...

The only person who has been said to be explicitly a special existence would be Gentiana. Of course, people like to guess that she is Leviathan or Shiva. The Leviathan one is especially stupid, as it wouldn't make any sense for Gentiana to be friends with Luna, give her a trident, then turn into Leviathan, argue with Luna, and get her shit kicked in by Luna. I mean... there's no logic there whatsoever. And, for her to be Shiva, why would she be located around where Leviathan is, that defeats the point of being a Guardian if you're not even going to guard anything...

Anyways, I'm rambling...
That reminds me FFP made a pretty interesting video on Cor check it out,

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
FF Peasant's videos are fun to watch (including that one, which at the very least suggests there's a bit more to him than meets the eye) but that dude does not ever pause and do reality checks.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
FF Peasant's videos are fun to watch (including that one, which at the very least suggests there's a bit more to him than meets the eye) but that dude does not ever pause and do reality checks.
No, he doesn't... It's one of the reasons why I don't watch his videos despite appreciating the passion he has behind his videos.

EDIT: Jesus Christ I'm watching the video and he's fucking mental. The whole daigoro thing was so stupid and not even supported by anything, but then he makes a connection with Cor's alleged age with his first appearance at E3 2013 with the release date of some old ass monster movie in Japan as reason to believe that Cor is Daigoro... WHAT THE FUCK?!

This dude is fucking mental.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
The new trailer was focused on story over gameplay, which means there were plenty of little things for me to get excited about. This article shows multiple screenshots from the trailer as well as the trailer itself.
*The opening black-and-white scene is highly intriguing, as it appears that Noctis trying to emerge from the object at the center, which is more than likely Lucis' crystal given the rest of the scene. Adryn is also present, and given his dialogue, it's like he's forcing Noctis to embrace the Crystal's power.
*We see Shiva performing her attack (depicted as being in the Duscae region at the time), which is amazing. Looks like she can separate herself into multiple forms ala Shiva Sisters from XIII.
*Noctis will recover his father's sword at some point in the story.
*Gentiana is definitely important. She appears concerned for both Noctis and Luna's wellbeing, as they apparently are responsible for protecting the world.
*On the cover of "Cosmology", the figure handing the crystal to the king is the same figure as on the Kingsglaive insignia. In the background is a figure that is certainly an Oracle. On a side note, the artwork reminds me strongly of a similar piece of artwork from Lightning Returns depicting Bhunivelze's symbolic control over the mortal world.
*Luna standing up to Leviathan is an incredible scene. She's basically telling it that gods should respect humanity, not act as being above them. Interesting.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
So, people were pondering the young Luna abuse scene, and I know the popular theory is that's that Loki guy from the 53 minute gameplay video, but that never sat right with me. The only thing that's the same is the uniform and that guy seemed way too young.

Someone posted this on GAF:

I won't even say who I think that is, but, look at the nose? Look familiar? Perhaps someone working his way up the ranks?

Ok, I will say who I think that is. I think Ardyn's been making a career out of bitch-slapping Luna.

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Guys, during that Playstation Japan stream today taht was just for FFXV, the person went through the inventory a couple of times. They had everything in there, including normal weapons and the 13 Phantom Weapons. Someone please translate it all (@LeonBlade I'm looking at you :p)
Here are the weapons btw:

Last edited:

TwoDotsO

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 30, 2016
To each his own, but that exactly the kind of spoiler I'd hate to see, tbh. Save something for the game, man.
I'd have to agree here.

I think it's cool if someone would translate it for those who want to find out. But me personally love those kind of details and will be staying away from such information. I love finding new weapons, items, equipment, etc., reading their flavor text, finding out what they do or how they look. One of my favorite aspects of most games, especially (j)rpg's.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Guys, during that Playstation Japan stream today taht was just for FFXV, the person went through the inventory a couple of times. They had everything in there, including normal weapons and the 13 Phantom Weapons. Someone please translate it all (@LeonBlade I'm looking at you :p)
Here are the weapons btw:
Could you replace the link with a imgur link? Cause it says it's broken.

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
http://imgur.com/a/pKAuu
The imgur link. And you guys are right that it would be better to not see these until the game, but its likely that someone will translate them regardless and it'll be put up somewhere. I'm making it just more streamlined as to where it would be. I personally do agree that I would rather find out stuff like the flavor text in game, but the names I wouldn't mind finding out (that might be a bit selfish of me). Damnit now you got me second guessing asking for translation.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
So you dont have to wait to get all the phantom swords till the end of the game, you can get them all at the first sections? Where was the guy in the stream at in the game?

Omegataco

PSICOM Soldier
Apr 1, 2016
So you dont have to wait to get all the phantom swords till the end of the game, you can get them all at the first sections? Where was the guy in the stream at in the game?
No, it's clear that this was more of a pre-configured development build. The guy had what looked like every weapon in the game, x99 of a lot of different spells and items, and not to mention over 90,000 AP lol.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Moved from the brotherhood thread because I hot a bit spoilery:

Finally got caught up. Prompto's episode is still my favorite. Followed by Gladio. I tried to watch the ignis episode three times now and drifted off each time. I have no idea what happened or what the lesson was there. Something about a dessert. I don't think I'll ever totally connect with ignis anyway.

That's not the show's fault, BTW. In this kind of story, like a dream, everyone is a reflection of Noctis. Not just the Bros, either. Luna and Ardyn as well. Make no mistake, this story is the inner struggle of Noctis's transformation into adulthood at the core. Ignis represents the aspect if adulthood where you clean shit up and eat right. If any of you have seen the passenger side of my car, I don't know that dude. Trust me. So I was never going to get Ignis to begin with.

Prompto's is the heart. I got a lotta heart. It's kinda my thing. I think that's how he became my favorite. It's no coincidence that he ended up coming from his childhood. You'll notice while fat prompto was trying to connect with Noctis, it's overlaced with someone talking about how Noctis doesn't have time to have fun. Prompto is his inner child, and he represents a promise Not made with himself to learn how to have fun when he can, which takes more effort than your typical non-chosen one prince.

Gladiolus (sorry, Abs) represents his strength. This is also a gimme. He connects with Noctis when Noctis shows courage and discipline.

Luna would represent his public responsibilities that come with his position. She also represents his faith. This is where she is strong (don't even start, I will make you eat it). And she needs to be. This is the most important part about the story. I spoke about the scene in Kingsglaive where she says she does not rear death as she jumps out of the transporter. As clumsy as the scene was, it was there to demonstrate her absolute faith. Mark my words, connecting with her in the game will coincide with getting to understand the real, fantastical plot of the game that she represents. That's when the story will take off.

Which brings us to Ardyn.

First, I need to mention a bit about the 'pure evil' type of villains that a lot of Kefka/Joker deniers miss. They're a metaphor. They work on a different angle from the 'Villain with a relatable cause' types. The firmer is about the protagonists inner struggle. The latter is to provoke yours. This is very much a man vs. self story, and a Kefka-esque villain is absolutely called for. Handled properly, this can make for some of the absolute best villains, and I have hopes that this is what we have here.

Ardyn represents Noctis' fears and doubts. All of the obstacles preventing him from becoming what his father was. He represents the weight of that much power, and how it can destroy as well as protect. He guides Noctis on the path for power so he can use it for himself. That's why he wants him to meet up with Luna. That's why he guides them towards collecting the Archaens. Then, he bitch-slaps Noctis' faith and unbalances the balance between his "Bro" aspects so he can take that power and abuse it.

These characters really fit well, so far. The more I get to know them, the more excited I am for this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.