Square Enix announces Flame x Blaze

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Last edited:
My personal hope is that it's going to be Valkyrie Profile III. A new game in an already established franchise though would probably be exactly that, given that they still seem to have ties to Tri-Ace. There are other IPs as well that don't have anything going on right now - Seiken Densetsu comes to mind, as do Chrono, Musashi and Final Fantasy Tactics. My bet's on VPIII, though, given that they're trying to revive the franchise with a mobile game right now and the Star Ocean 5 producer at Tri-Ace talked about having plans for it a few months ago.

Mobile? Could be, but they usually don't announce these at big shows.

The most likely scenario though is that it's a new IP and given that Tokyo RPG Factory has filed a trademark for a game named "Kimi to Kiri no Labyrinth" (translating to "You and the Labyrinth of Mist"), this is the safest bet.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Maybe another entry from Tokyo RPG Factory, though I have doubts they (the sudtio) will last very long due to the massive loss they've posted in the wake of I Am Setsuna's release. Possibly something from another closely-linked studio, or an entirely new collaboration. They're certainly more open to collaborations with other studios these days. Just look at their stuff with CyGames, Platinum and tri-Ace.

As to what game it might be: maybe a new Valkyrie Profile; possibly something new related to Ivalice, since they seem to have revived interest with XII Zodiarc Age; at the extremes of speculation might be a revival of Chrono or continuations of one-shot things like Bouncer or TWETY; or possibly (slightly more likely than other possibilities) a new IP of some sort. I somehow doubt it will be a mobile title since it'll be taking a place on the event's main stage before the SQEX Presents segment.

EDIT: OH! I completely forgot the Mana series. They've been teasing something for ages now.

Last edited:

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Maybe another entry from Tokyo RPG Factory, though I have doubts they (the sudtio) will last very long due to the massive loss they've posted in the wake of I Am Setsuna's release. Possibly something from another closely-linked studio, or an entirely new collaboration. They're certainly more open to collaborations with other studios these days. Just look at their stuff with CyGames, Platinum and tri-Ace.
I see this a lot regarding Tokyo RPG Factory. The total loss in USD was ~2.2M. Some context may be appropriate here:

They are a new studio wholly owned by Square Enix Holdings. SE's fiscal year ended on March 31st 2016. The game was released in Japan mid-February 2016. They posted a ~2.2M USD loss on their balance sheet, which may (or may not) include 1.5 months of sales of one game, depending on when they can recognize certain revenue.

A 2.2M USD loss is a nothing-burger. It's a new studio, so there are bound to be front-loaded expenses. In addition, corporate accounting is oftentimes rather creative, for many reasons (taxes mostly). The parent company posted a profit of ~250M USD in FY2016.

For comparison, that was 1/2 the monthly burn rate at my last startup, and an order of magnitude smaller than my quarterly budget. And my team is nowhere near the largest in the company.

May 26, 2014
Looks cool. I'm not usually into multiplayer games, but I'll try it. According to here, one of the people who worked on KHUX is the producer of this. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be good, but it's cool to know since KHUX is pretty much the best mobile game I've played. Also the character design is by Gen Kobayashi. I wish they would've brought back the Kobayashi/Nomura tag team though, cause TWEWY's designs were awesome and these look a lot more, uh... mediocre. And as we all know, Nomura is one of the best character designers. But whatever, that's ok. I like the monster designs, and some of them look very TWEWY-ish as well (but again, not as cool).