Xenoblade Chronicles X Announced

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
May 26, 2014
This looks amazing. The story trailer was nice and all, and it did confirm that story would be... well, I don't want to say a focus, because obviously exploration/world is the focus, but it at least confirmed story would be present. But really it was the 45 minutes of gameplay that did it for me. And, though I wouldn't want this ideally, I'm actually ok with a customizable avatar main character. (Nothing can dissuade me after that gameplay vid!)

Can't wait to get my hands on a Wii U and this game!

May 26, 2014
Apparently there's no more fall damage. I am so jumping off every cliff/waterfall/building/etc. (Not that the fall damage in Xenoblade prevented me from doing so anyway...)

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Oh feck. Do I need to now play all the other Xeno games to fully appreciate this? I think one of the Xenosaga games didn't even come out in Europe.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Oh feck. Do I need to now play all the other Xeno games to fully appreciate this? I think one of the Xenosaga games didn't even come out in Europe.
I didn't have to play any of those games to appreciate Xenoblade, and I think this is a spiritual successor. I don't even know how much is it tied to Xenoblade, save for the name, that Shulk lookalike, and that thing that was definitely a Nopon like Riki.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Aye, I enjoyed Xenoblade without having played the others. It's only because I've seen mention of there being a lot more nods to other Xeno games this time around. It was even mentioned during the treehouse live demo. I know it wouldn't be essential, but it's made me question if it'd be worth trying to play the others.

tbh though, I just don't have the time so I might just deal with it and miss out on the nods lol.

Sep 26, 2013
BLADE

Beyond (the) Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator

Only you, Takahashi. Only you would come up with that. Now I am supposed to believe that neo-Los Angeles (new United States?) has actually come together and agreed on that acronym, hahaha.

I just read more about this. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116113217&postcount=1476
Here's an interesting tip bit: the actual BLADE acronym explanation is only given in the English subtitles. The actual Japanese dialogue is instead a much more literal explanation of what it actually is, which the subtitles didn't translate.

In the Japanese dialogue it is very clear that BLADE is a module installed inside someone's head, which allows for an artificial man-made overwrite of a person's destiny by "transcending the word of God".

Sep 26, 2013
Some of the nods people are finding with what we've seen so far are pretty interesting. One I came across was Elma's password being 16 digits long. "YouShallBeAsGods" is 16 digits long, which would be a nod to Xenogears.

That said, Gamexplain did a discussion video.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Was looking up FFVI stuff on wikipedia and came across Tetsuya Takahashi's profile. Read this under the trivia section.
In a Famitsu interview before the release of Xenoblade Chronicles in Japan, Takahashi said he believed JRPGs focusing on story and lengthy cutscenes were on a path leading towards a dead end. Instead, he wanted to return to the basics of JRPGs and focus more on gameplay and exploration.[4] In another interview, he cited Final Fantasy XII as a game that showed an interesting new direction for JRPGs and added that Xenoblade Chronicles would be following in its footsteps.
I think it's clear that they're doing that with X too.

Makes me wonder what a Final Fantasy game in the style of FFXII would look like on HD consoles? Perhaps we'll get a taste of that with X?

Last edited:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Was looking up FFVI stuff on wikipedia and came across Tetsuya Takashi's profile. Read this under the trivia section.

I think it's clear that they're doing that with X too.

Makes me wonder what a Final Fantasy game in the style of FFXII would look like on HD consoles? Perhaps we'll get a taste of that with X?
It does (sorta) look like it. With a bit more freedom, FFXII was a bit too restrictive in its nature... Anyways, I hope he doesn't neglect story this time around.

May 26, 2014
Anyways, I hope he doesn't neglect story this time around.
Well I personally thought that, even though they decided to have story play second fiddle to gameplay, Xenoblade still had a pretty darn interesting plot. Characters were kinda generic, sure, but I certainly enjoyed the storyline.